• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

kionedrik

How would you label "orb walk" as a technique? Basic, medium or advanced?

I ask this because I barely see anyone doing it and it was especially infuriating in a game I had recently where I had to lane with a Silencer that kept aggroing the creeps and tower. It's not that hard to understand and do...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If your Silencer is aggroing with Glaives (probably has it on auto cast) that's a very basic problem.

Orb Walking is a little more than that however. It implies the cancelling of backswings to shorten times between attacks while using the extra time to move. You don't need an Orb ability to Orb Walk although it's the case where technique first popped up. This is more of a medium level skill.

lowkey..... ok it was terrible and the daily changes to try and make something semi-playable out of it were laughable but tbh? tbh Year Beast sorta kinda went off sometimes, just because it was so bizarre and broken

I wish it were a custom game mode :/

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Only reason people liked Diretide is because you could easily farm items when the market wasn't in the shitter.

I probably made like 30 bucks on that mode.

Russ T

Banned
We're not doing this

Diretide isn't worth giving a crap about, I'd be thoroughly disappointed if Valve spent any time on it.

you're not worth giving a crap about ):

If your Silencer is aggroing with Glaives (probably has it on auto cast) that's a very basic problem.

Orb Walking is a little more than that however. It implies the cancelling of backswings to shorten times between attacks while using the extra time to move. You don't need an Orb ability to Orb Walk although it's the case where technique first popped up. This is more of a medium level skill.

I've seen it used to describe both avoiding aggro with an orb ability and canceling backswing to get more attacks, independent from each other. People use it to mean both things and it's really annoying. ):<

gai_shain

Thats animation canceling though. Even though its often used alongside orbwalking its not orbwalking

Hylian7

Thats animation canceling though. Even though its often used alongside orbwalking its not orbwalking
It technically is the same thing, just easier to do because you don't aggro the creep wave. You still do the same attack animation, and still cancel the back swing.

The term is a bit silly now since a good amount of the "orbs" in the game are no longer Orb/UAM. Impetus, Searing Arrows, Burning Spears, Liquid Fire to name a few.

&#5465;
DansGame.png
&#9585; He is faster
&#5465;
DansGame.png
&#9585; He is stronger
&#5465;
DansGame.png
&#9585; Who is he?
&#5465;
DansGame.png
&#9585; The mighty DONGER &#5465;
DansGame.png
&#9585;

Russ T

Banned
orb walking is a term that hasnt been exclusive to orb/uam usage for at least 10 years...

Yes, but some people use it to mean either:

1) EXCLUSIVELY using orbs to avoid aggroing creeps/towers
2) EXCLUSIVELY animation canceling
3) BOTH using orbs to avoid aggro AND animation canceling (although not necessarily at the same time)

So it's a dumb shit term that needs to be set in stone once and for all. Or else! Ideally it should only be option 1, since that's what the actual name implies it means, and we already have animation canceling.

ksan

Yes, but some people use it to mean either:

1) EXCLUSIVELY using orbs to avoid aggroing creeps/towers
2) EXCLUSIVELY animation canceling
3) BOTH using orbs to avoid aggro AND animation canceling (although not necessarily at the same time)

So it's a dumb shit term that needs to be set in stone once and for all. Or else! Ideally it should only be option 1, since that's what the actual name implies it means, and we already have animation canceling.

i dont agree that its a dumb term, its way less awkward to say, and it has practically always referred to 2) or 3)
manual casting is the part that doesnt pull aggro

Russ T

Banned
You have your own specific way to use the term, other people have their own specific ways to use the term.

I think it's a valuable phrase if we can all decide what it's actually supposed to mean (and, at least to me, option 1 makes the most intuitive sense). But as you can see from this thread, that's already not the case. So it just ends up confusing people!

Quesa

You have your own specific way to use the term, other people have their own specific ways to use the term.

I think it's a valuable phrase if we can all decide what it's actually supposed to mean. But as you can see from this thread, that's already not the case. So it just ends up confusing people!

thats-right-bro-o.gif

ksan

Orb walking has never meant 1), that's one thing for sure. If you believe that you simply do not have a good understanding of the mechanics of the game.
The reason is that manually casted orbs do not get cancelled by move commands during the attack animation until the back swing, so you can spam right click during the attack animation and you're guaranteed to not break it before the attack has gone off.

Russ T

Banned
I don't know what to tell you other than 1) is literally what was taught to me when I first was learning the game (which I guess was a few years ago at this point!).

Other people who aren't me have also believed this at one point or another, or else it would not have been taught to me as such.

I have, of course, since heard it used in multiple different ways, most notably in the one you just described.

Dreavus

I don't know what to tell you other than 1) is literally what was taught to me when I first was learning the game (which I guess was a few years ago at this point!).

Other people who aren't me have also believed this at one point or another, or else it would not have been taught to me as such.

I have, of course, since heard it used in multiple different ways, most notably in the one you just described.

Yep. I've only seen to refer to using an "orb" spell (eg. glaives of wisdom) to avoid aggro.

I'm not sure why people started using the term for animation cancelling since that doesn't have anything to do with orbs.

Russ T

Banned
why would it be called 'orb walking' if it was referring to avoiding aggro?

lol now that you ask my headspace is fucked and now orb walking just doesn't make any sense at all for anything

before you asked i would've said "because you're using the orb to chase (aka walk after) the enemy without aggro'ing creeps or towers"

anybody remember how much better you got at sand wraith once you learn that you have to cancel his backswing for his attack animation... ye good times

Hylian7

Orb walking refers to using the autocastable Orb/UAM attacks. Any other definition of Orb Walking is not actually orb walking. If simply animation canceling an attack is called "Orb Walking", that is the incorrect term.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Orb walking comes from League for when Syndra throws her orb and walks to it.

Auteezy

Banned
I think some people refer to walking in between attacks during your backswing as orb walking as well, but i'm not really sure

I've never heard of orb walking as anything other than using attack modifiers to avoid creep aggro, but I guess it's possible people were referring to animation canceling and I simply misinterpreted

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Are people seriously expecting Diretide this year? They should know from years past not to expect that and are delusional if they do.

Based on what exactly? The thing in the past was that they didn't have efficient custom game tools. That's no longer an excuse. Unless of course you just mean "don't expect any content from the Dota 2 team" in which case I fully agree.

Hylian7

Based on what exactly? The thing in the past was that they didn't have efficient custom game tools. That's no longer an excuse. Unless of course you just mean "don't expect any content from the Dota 2 team" in which case I fully agree.

What does having custom game tools have to do with Valve creating a gamemode with their internal tools? After "Give DireTide" we learned not to expect that to be a yearly thing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What does having custom game tools have to do with Valve creating a gamemode with their internal tools? After "Give DireTide" we learned not to expect that to be a yearly thing.

It's literally exactly what Valve said about why they didn't want to do seasonal game events.

Hylian7

I've never heard of orb walking as anything other than using attack modifiers to avoid creep aggro, but I guess it's possible people were referring to animation canceling and I simply misinterpreted

Anyone that refers it to anything other than using attack modifiers to avoid creep aggro is using the wrong term. Referring to animation cancelling as "orb walking" is incorrect. Plain and simple.

Auteezy

Banned
Anyone that refers it to anything other than using attack modifiers to avoid creep aggro is using the wrong term. Referring to animation cancelling as "orb walking" is incorrect. Plain and simple.

in order of importance how would you personally rate the 3 between orb walking, animation canceling, and tread-swapping?

Top Bottom