• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

eh, C9 was pretty good. They had their chockes and they struggled in finals, but they were up there.

They were never Tier 1. They never shared the same airspace as EG, Secret and VG. They were, however, a solid as fuck Tier 2 team right there with the Empires and VPs of the world.

Low Tier
i mean how do you bench teams into tiers like that honestly im sure if ur playing at premier events you're a tier 1 team

Or are we ignoring all the rising teams, aspiring teams, league teams, and only looking at like the top 16?

Cuz imo out of all the dota teams that can be called teams, C9 was def. a tier 1 team

kionedrik

I noticed something while playing Bara the other night. When I issued a charge command and the charged enemy disappeared in the fog right before the actual charge started, if I issued no other commands the charge would start automatically as soon as the enemy became visible again. It happened at least 3 times.

Bug? Feature?

I noticed something while playing Bara the other night. When I issued a charge command and the charged enemy disappeared in the fog right before the actual charge started, if I issued no other commands the charge would start automatically as soon as the enemy became visible again. It happened at least 3 times.

Bug? Feature?

isn't that how precasting works?

I think that's how it goes with lion hex and other instacast spells

i mean how do you bench teams into tiers like that honestly im sure if ur playing at premier events you're a tier 1 team

Everything is a function of definitions and scope. Based on how *I* like to define these things and think of them, simply being able to make a tournament or playoff don't make you a tier 1 team in the same way that the Milwaukee Bucks and Brooklyn Nets aren't "tier 1" teams just because they made the playoffs. In the NBA there are clear teams that separate themselves from even other good and great teams. The Golden State Warriors, Cleveland Cavs, Houston Rockets...these are teams that you bet on to beat anyone else in a series. In the same way in my approach, C9 was never a Tier 1 team because they were never favored to win anything in which Secret, EG or VG were also competitors.

Now, if you change the scope to simply say "anyone who is a top finisher regularly is tier 1", then sure C9 is absolutely there along with VP, Empire, LGD, Big God, iG, etc. But my specific scope is defined by wins and the expectation of emerging with wins and 1st place finishes in Bo3 and Bo5 series' against the very best. Even when C9 would beat EG or Secret it wasn't expected. They were never favorites against those teams. That's where I separate "T1" from "T2". Compare with EG, Secret and VG which for most of 2015 were considered piers and a step above/ahead of the rest.

But yes, everything is a function of how you define your scope and definitions. Those are mine. ymmv. I personally don't think it's a slight to say that for most of 2015, C9 was great but not the equal of the aforementioned teams and that every victory they had over those squads was usually considered an upset.

I've played a fair amount of bara games in source 1 and it didn't behave like this. And charge isn't instant, it has a quite noticeable delay (around 1 to 1.5 seconds).

yeah, I thought that sort of thing worked with pretty much all spells but the mechanic was most useful for instacasts:

I could swear when you start casting a spell and the enemy fogs you, your character will still follow them around for a short time and if they reappear you will automatically attempt to cast the spell again

I could be wrong though

shira

Nanyang finals
t1446368400z1.png

why the hell are they stretching this tournament over so many days

when are the finals?

yeah this is dragging on

Liquipedia says the finals are Nov 1st.
NgSSGNS.png

LOL World Finals
t1446296400z1.png

mind-your-surroundings.png

Mind your surroundings

Low Tier
yea me and haly discussed it but i cba to repeat myself but we came to the same conclusion

from my pov its just unfair to dota players trying to make it and dota players that did make it to only call a select few tier 1.

unrelated note i cant wait for noblewingz team vs damascus team

t0rment

i'm seriously tired of this dota cycle of OP heroes, coupled with the length of the patches and no new heroes for 10 months i have no desire to play the game anymore.

The venue isn't available to be used on Saturday hence why the finals are on the Sunday.
I mean, on paper Secret is probably the worst assemblage of "professional" Dota players in the history of esports. How they keep managing to outplay the rest of these idiots speaks to how dead the entire Dota scene really is.
Oh hey it's you again.

yea me and haly discussed it but i cba to repeat myself but we came to the same conclusion

from my pov its just unfair to dota players trying to make it and dota players that did make it to only call a select few tier 1.

unrelated note i cant wait for noblewingz team vs damascus team

fair enough. i personally don't think it's unfair and being one tier vs another isn't a slight any more than saying the Atlanta Hawks are a step below the Cleveland Cavaliers despite both having similar records. it's just a reflection of the reality that another team is better. and yea, some teams are better than others at any given time/patch. but i can understand that perspective. as with most subjective things, ymmv.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
yes, good, remain ignorant of these places.

Contrary to popular belief you can go to Florida and have a good time. Just dont live there. I did for 22 years am just barely still sane. Destin, Ft. Lauderdale, Panama City Beach, Key West, touristy areas of Miami, metro area of Tampa, Orlando for Universal Studios (fuck disney.) all of these are great.

Maine for seafoods.

If you go to Texas literally only consider Houston or Austin. I've been in Houston for a year and holy shit. I find a new restaurant every week and the food is amazing. Austin has better BBQ offerings tho.

Chicago is gud.

Seattle is gud especially if you are looking for
anuxi_trees.gif
. Boulder as well, good skiing and scenery.
First time I was here I went to Florida for a wedding. Last time I was here I went to Seattle and Chicago and this time I was in Denver and went out to Boulder. My iconic holiday choosing powers.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I always considered a tier 1 team any team that can regularly qualify for premier tournaments. I don't see how you couldn't consider the old C9 top tier, they were in the finals of like half of all western tournaments.

was the first one good or no

i remember people saying it was bad except for the music but now people say it was actually a good game so i dont know for sure

Nier has always been a good game. People disliked the combat system but i found it to be totally fine.
The game does have some issues but i would never call it a bad game as it does so many interesting things that i adore.

Wait what? I thought Nier was a shitty JPRG
stunned.gif

It's more like a mix between a bullet-hell type game and an action game.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
it's being made by platinum so it wont be a bad jrpg. Or maybe it will be korra 2

Poor wording on my part, for some reason I always dismissed it as a turn based RPG. This however looks like the type of games I actually enjoy, damn. No way I am going to go back and play it now though.

It's more like a mix between a bullet-hell type game and an action game.

God damn it.

DrPizza

Banned
First time I was here I went to Florida for a wedding. Last time I was here I went to Seattle and Chicago and this time I was in Denver and went out to Boulder. My iconic holiday choosing powers.

Why the fuck wouldn't you go to NYC, the best city in the whole of the US?

Poor wording on my part, for some reason I always dismissed it as a turn based RPG. This however looks like the type of games I actually enjoy, damn. No way I am going to go back and play it now though.

I'm pretty sure nier 1 isn't turn based and its one of those games that you play for the writing and not how it plays

God damn it.

Honestly, if you only wanted a good action game with really good combat and tight mechanics you didn't miss anything. Nier isnt really that type of game.
But if you want a game with an interesting story that goes places and a game that is a nice mix between multiple genres i would recommend taking a look.

I'm pretty sure nier 1 isn't turn based and its one of those games that you play for the writing and not how it plays

True. I mean it plays totally ok. But just OK...

was the first one good or no

i remember people saying it was bad except for the music but now people say it was actually a good game so i dont know for sure
I haven't been able to get my hands on it(it's fucking expensive everywhere I find it), but I've been hearing good things about the story and stuff.
New Nier game looking like it'll be a flashy failure

Sales wise? Probably. Gameplay wise it already looks like it's going to be very fun to play.

Russ T

Banned
New Nier game looking sick

Almost bought the first one the other day on a whim but then the people in front of me were like "i want an xbox, or whatever, my daughter just wants to be able to play minecraft, how do i do that".

The guy at the register looked at me with sad eyes, and then I put it on the shelf and left the Gamestop 'cause I didn't want to keep the lunch group waiting while this lady figured out how to research her purchase.

):

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm pretty sure almost everybody I've ever heard say they like Nier did so in spite of the fact that it's bad. I'm pretty sure I actually own it but I've never played it. I remember being turned off by all the enemies looking like the shit in a bottle of Goldschlager.

Top Bottom