• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Kade

1.09 is the best Dota 2 streamer on Twitch.com:

-Polite
-Viewerr INteraction
-Educational
-Top level gameplay
-Good music

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
That was my thought as well, but either way the characters aren't going to be unlocked from day 1. Grind2play or Buy2play.

Like I said I doubt this will be the case. Maybe the HoN f2p model where all the heroes are unlocked and new heroes are locked for the first month unless you pay.

okay, let's get back on topic then

1.09's invoker is shit and loses to 3.7k mmr qops mid
damn what an account buyer
It was a stealth Lets post some hot chick post.

wink.gif

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I watched 1.09's stream for a bit. He answered my questions promptly and politely. Then he called his teammates a bunch of retards. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Like I said I doubt this will be the case. Maybe the HoN f2p model where all the heroes are unlocked and new heroes are locked for the first month unless you pay.

I can't imagine how they'll convince business-side that Heroes of the Storm can sell heroes piecemeal but not Overwatch. The Overwatch characters are more expensive to develop too, just at first glance.

I get what you're saying but it seems so farfetched given what we know of their business history...

Chris R

1.09 destroyed my trench ass in one of the mid contests we had previously and wasn't a dick about it. For that, I thank them.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I can't imagine how they'll convince business-side that Heroes of the Storm can sell heroes piecemeal but not Overwatch. The Overwatch characters are more expensive to develop too, just at first glance.

I get what you're saying but it seems so farfetched given what we know of their business history...

It's not that it wouldn't work, it's that it would ruin the game. Being able to switch throughout the entire cast on the fly is what makes the game work.

shira

Blizzard got DonDon from Dota 2 so maybe there is a more pronounced hat market.

Haly

It's not that it wouldn't work, it's that it would ruin the game. Being able to switch throughout the entire cast on the fly is what makes the game work.

What if they launch with the base cast free but then grind/paywall the rest?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
What if they launch with the base cast free but then grind/paywall the rest?

Still no, being able to fully respond to the enemy team's comp is one of the defining aspects of the game, it would be akin to locking items in dota. I really don't think long term character locking is what will happen.

Still no, being able to fully respond to the enemy team's comp is one of the defining aspects of the game, it would be akin to locking items in dota. I really don't think long term character locking is what will happen.

Yeah, I'm also totally opposed to locking characters behind a paywall, regardless of if the base game costs anything.

Quesa

Okay I'm willing to take the hit for the team and see if procarbine's point about paying for characters would ruin Overwatch rings true.

All you need to do is flag my account, Blizzard, and I will do this important research.

inkls

You know whats super strong in haunted colosseum? IO

You get urn + guardian greaves + heart and your team is unkillable

Artanisix

Overwatch functionally fails if heroes are locked behind a paywall. I would say every hero in the beta has two to three heroes that check them. You start locking heroes away and your ability to win a matchmaking game is severely hampered.

I.e. if an enemy has Bastion and you don't have checks for him (Reinhardt, Reaper, Tracer) then you're just fufucked assuming relatively equal skill levels.

Overwatch functionally fails if heroes are locked behind a paywall. I would say every hero in the beta has two to three heroes that check them. You start locking heroes away and your ability to win a matchmaking game is severely hampered.

I.e. if an enemy has Bastion and you don't have checks for him (Reinhardt, Reaper, Tracer) then you're just fufucked assuming relatively equal skill levels.

I agree with you, but this is also the case in league. Even with 10 heroes rotating constantly and a bunch of heroes being very cheap (2-3 matches worth of currency to unlock), you're basically fucked if you don't have a hero that can cope with the opposition. Not to mention Runes take tons of currency to buy, so spending currency on heroes means that for a while, even if you've got the right heroes, you're still gimped.

And yet the game is massively successful. Masochists.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I agree with you, but this is also the case in league. Even with 10 heroes rotating constantly and a bunch of heroes being very cheap (2-3 matches worth of currency to unlock), you're basically fucked if you don't have a hero that can cope with the opposition. Not to mention Runes take tons of currency to buy, so spending currency on heroes means that for a while, even if you've got the right heroes, you're still gimped.

And yet the game is massively successful. Masochists.

We were talking about this the other day in mumble, and I think if LoL were to have launched today with the same model the game would fail.

We were talking about this the other day in mumble, and I think if LoL were to have launched today with the same model the game would fail.

I think you're right. But only because League had a weird effect of legitimizing ARTS/MOBA in the general populace's mind. If Dota and other attempts at the genre were just as popular today, and F2P as a whole were similar to how it is today, League would be totally lost in obscurity without a doubt.

Haly

Would you describe it as "too big to fail"?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Found what I thought was a unicorn, someone actually talking about mmr hell.

I will investigate and report.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Too many people playing with too much time invested. Because it's so big it just sucks in new players for free.

Thats one thing I don't know about, it feels like it isn't bringing in players like it used to. But it could just be me getting old. LoL's player base always seemed to be skew younger and be made up of the High School/College crowd in the US.

Haly

Mumble please tell KvH to stop bullying me I'm only 4k.

league feels younger, fresher, more accessible, and tends to have fewer of the "I've been playing this for 10 years so blah blah blah" stuff you get from the dota community

it's quicker, it's flashier, you get the candy rush of new cosmetics and new champions all the damn time, and riot is very good about exploiting that

it being number one has a lot to do with its draw, but it's staying number one because riot has figured out a system that just plain works, whiny League hater complaints notwithstanding

it's a shit game, but so is dota. it's a shit genre.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
because alch doesn't win much in pro dota

pub meta is a much different story of course

Alch isn't even at 50% winrate yet. Same with Windranger. People just get annoyed at popular picks. I'm still a bit amazed at how much Alch's pub winrate went up with just a new meta build, for a solid week after 6.85 Alch was still at 45% winrate, then a few pros showed off the Mid Alch build and his winrate shot up.

Top Bottom