• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Atlantis

league feels younger, fresher, more accessible, and tends to have fewer of the "I've been playing this for 10 years so blah blah blah" stuff you get from the dota community

it's quicker, it's flashier, you get the candy rush of new cosmetics and new champions all the damn time, and riot is very good about exploiting that

it being number one has a lot to do with its draw, but it's staying number one because riot has figured out a system that just plain works, whiny League hater complaints notwithstanding

it's a shit game, but so is dota. it's a shit genre.

Spill it.

Acinixys

SOMEBODY COME GET HER

SHES DANCING LIKE A STRIPPER

I dont want to be kak but you have the worst taste in music. Just terrible

The song where the dude was singing that his rims were marshmallows makes literally no sense

sleeping.gif

I dont want to be kak but you have the worst taste in music. Just terrible

The song where the dude was singing that his rims were marshmallows makes literally no sense

sleeping.gif

Now watch me whip (Kill it!)
Now watch me nae nae (Okay!)
Now watch me whip, whip
Watch me nae nae (Watch me do it)

Bob Ross

52club

For those of you that spectate tournaments on a regular basis, I'm just curious if you ever say, "boy I'm glad Tobiwan is the one announcing this game". It isn't that he is bad, but when I see how much valve features him, it is confusing to me. It very well could be a preference thing, and that is why I'm asking.

It does make me sad that ODPixel and Draskyl won't have an opportunity to be paired up for the main event. To me they have some really good chemistry and compliment each other very well.

As an old guy that used to listen to baseball games on the radio, chemistry really matters with any announcing tandem. It was so painful to see valve toss together pairings that haven't worked together a ton for the last TI. I hope someone thinks about this a bit more going forward.

Deadly

I agree Sheever would deserve a spot, she works hard, but the ones that are going are indeed legit better than her at whichever role she would serve. They are likely constrained to a certain budget and well I don't know who I'd replace her for if I decided to invite her.

Team are suppose to fly out on Monday and these visa issues are still on going. I don't remember it being this hard to acquire visas for Germany. I wonder if ESL are dropping the ball.

Also I put the prize pool distribution up for the major: http://dota2.prizetrac.kr/frankfurtmajor2015

Well, there's the whole immigration thing going on. Might be a factor.

For those of you that spectate tournaments on a regular basis, I'm just curious if you ever say, "boy I'm glad Tobiwan is the one announcing this game". It isn't that he is bad, but when I see how much valve features him, it is confusing to me. It very well could be a preference thing, and that is why I'm asking.

The general opinion here is that tobiwan is shit.

My opinion is that he is a loud annoying dumbass who still lacks basic knowledge of the game despite casting for years and he just wanna hear his own stupid voice

I really hope he wont be casting the esl grand finals

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Regardless of whatever other views Thorin has expressed, literally the only female personalities currently active in the scene who might merit invitation are Sheever and Kaci. Kaci has a full time job and probably was never considered for anything but TI. I know some people like Sheever a lot but I don't think she is a better caster than the 4 we have. She's certainly not a better host than Redeye or Kotlguy. I wouldn't make a trade with her for any of the on-site personalities. I'd probably pick her before Zyori or Godz though.

I agree Sheever would deserve a spot, she works hard, but the ones that are going are indeed legit better than her at whichever role she would serve. They are likely constrained to a certain budget and well I don't know who I'd replace her for if I decided to invite her.

This is a weird sentiment though because if you admit that she's not as good at casting, hosting or analyzing as those who were hired, then why does she "deserve" a spot? I get that she's a hard worker and has been around for a while, but that's not how the world works. Plenty of people work hard and are edged out by people with more talent. You've gotta have both.

Russ T

Banned

It does make me sad that ODPixel and Draskyl won't have an opportunity to be paired up for the main event. To me they have some really good chemistry and compliment each other very well.

As an old guy that used to listen to baseball games on the radio, chemistry really matters with any announcing tandem. It was so painful to see valve toss together pairings that haven't worked together a ton for the last TI. I hope someone thinks about this a bit more going forward.

I used to like the guy, or at least like his energy, if that makes sense. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but whatever! However, in the past couple years a) he's shown himself to be a weird gross creepy dude and b) much much much better casters have been getting the limelight.

Now I just wish he'd disappear.

She's more valuable than a LOT of people who were invited. She can't cast, she doesn't have a lot of Dota knowledge, but she's great at hosting an event and interviewing players.

kionedrik

I'm one of the few ones that has no bias regarding Tobiwan. His casts are serviceable and the truth is that he makes a lot of mechanical mistakes when casting the match but he has two major "qualities" that seem to be what raise him above the rest in the eyes of Valve: 1- hype casting (like or not); 2- He's a soundbite spewing machine (again, like or not).

I said before that I believe ODPixel is the future main caster but it seems his style isn't to the liking of that many people. I also love Draskyl, Blitz and Capitalist styles mainly because of the nonsense that gets thrown around while they are casting together.

I was recently pleasantly surprised with a australian girl casting abilities. Iirc her name was llama-something...

Deadly

This is a weird sentiment though because if you admit that she's not as good at casting, hosting or analyzing as those who were hired, then why does she "deserve" a spot? I get that she's a hard worker and has been around for a while, but that's not how the world works. Plenty of people work hard and are edged out by people with more talent. You've gotta have both.
'Deserve' as in she's a contender for some positions. I'd rephrase to say, some are definitely better than her yes, but others I think come down to personal taste. I also think she could replace Zyori or Godz. Personally, I usually dislike Nahaz at events, so she could take his place no problem for me.

What do they mean by off-site group anyways? Are they casting from home?
She's more valuable than a LOT of people who were invited. She can't cast, she doesn't have a lot of Dota knowledge, but she's great at hosting an event and interviewing players.
Yeah but she's up against Redeye, Kotlguy and Pyrion. Maybe replace Pyrion? It would definitely come down to personal taste here.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Usually its more of a minor surprise. "Toby is casting? This?"

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I know if I think there's any amazing dota 2 casters. None that I think of actually elevate the game beyond just providing a play by play. There are some who are good at that though.

Sunsfan and synderen are/were entertaining but for obvious reasons they can't really cast top-tier games.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Thorin is hilarious, he holds a grudge with ESL because they had the gall to remove him from an event for being a huge racist.

I suppose it's possible that Sheever or Soe were invited but chose not to go, and it's not likely either of them will bother commenting on it. Dota actually has multiple capable female casters/hosts, unlike other games like CSGO or Smash, so it's extra puzzling that ESL could've very easily avoided a complete sausage fest but (possibly) chose not to.

DrPizza

Banned
Thorin comes across as a straight up gamergater with his whole "representation doesn't matter" schtick.

There may not be many top tier women in Dota, but there aren't none either.

I think that for the most part this is just ESL picking its usual ESL people; Sheever isn't one of those, so they didn't pick her. Not inviting Soe is a bit more surprising, though, since she is one of their usuals.

But Sheever is a great host; I would argue better than KotlGuy. If they're willing to give a panel spot to Pyrion, of all people, they can surely make room for Sheever.

I do generally prefer the more informal/less American style to DreamLeague's hosting in general.

----

Thorin is hilarious, he holds a grudge with ESL because they had the gall to remove him from an event for being a huge racist.

Link to racism pls? I need fuel for my hate boner.

I continue to think that it's gross that Toby is so prominent.

---

I was recently pleasantly surprised with a australian girl casting abilities. Iirc her name was llama-something...

LlamaDownUnder, and she's definitely promising, but I think being in Australia is always going to count against her.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think I should cast. I'm not afraid to ask the hard questions like 'how much does a tp scroll cost now?' and 'where am I?'.

inkls

Some people get really mad about casters, huh

I honestly think most of them do a good job. Casting is super hard.

I don't think anyone is denying that casting is hard, I think when people criticize casters, they're saying the caster is bad at it.

Top Bottom