• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

hiring the "most qualified" candidate rarely happens

you want to hire people who are good for your team, good for your clients, good for your business

there are a large number of factors that go into hiring; qualifications are merely one of them.

an impressive person can learn on the job, but a shitty person with stellar qualifications will always be shitty

sheever slays, kaci is both an icon and a legend, and also timeless

sewy is ok I guess.

Auteezy

Banned
For Valve to say "it's not our problem" when it comes to how their game evolves and a problem that's likely limiting their audience is myopic, especially when the game is bleeding players.

The less players, the less noobs. This is for the best.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Overwatch literally pay 2 win.
laugh.gif

inkls

For Valve to say "it's not our problem" when it comes to how their game evolves and a problem that's likely limiting their audience is myopic, especially when the game is bleeding players.

Is neutrality not allowed? And bleeding players? Whats the link here? Players are leaving because the major has no female casters?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is neutrality not allowed? And bleeding players? Whats the link here? Players are leaving because the major has no female casters?

'neutrality' could be seen as tacit support for the status quo, which you might not see as a good thing, necessarily

This thread sure is a trip.

I'm casting at least one IHL match this weekend (Tobear vs Vade). Anyone interested in joining me? Would rather cap it at 2-3 people, since sometimes things get a bit unwieldy with more. Let me know.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I have not spent much time watching Thorin's videos in the past, only seeing the headlines on the CSGO subreddit and recently the Dota 2 subreddit. This was the first time he spoke about a topic that I felt relatively informed about and the first time I actively listened to what he had to say. Boy does his narrow mindedness and outright ignorance shine through. What a fucking disappointment that he has such a large platform to spew his bullshit, and that people seem to take him so seriously.

edit: also, reading the reddit comments was kind of upsetting. I am glad there's a different consensus here.

Hylian7

I think I'd like to hop in on the casting train too, but I'll take a match that doesn't have a caster yet if there is one.

If that's not possible I wouldn't mine jumping in on a co-cast.

DrPizza

Banned
Compare and contrast ODPixel's rise with how long it took Sheever (and how much more she did for the community) to reach her status.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Compare and contrast ODPixel's rise with how long it took Sheever (and how much more she did for the community) to reach her status.

I'm like Sheever apologist #1 and I wouldn't put her in the same league as the Rap God. He's the next hypecaster we need now that guys like LD and Tobi are becoming old timers.

I think Sheever can out-host almost anybody in the business and I love having her on panels, but it took her a long time to find her niche. She spent a lot of time wallowing in the low-tier caster pool.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
What do the people in the Overwatch beta think, is it forty-dollars-worth of game?

It is not worth 40$ to me, especially considering the lack of assurance on future costs. Hopefully enough people get into the beta so we can enjoy it as a group.

I'm dying via several localized explosions @ the idea of a normalf*sh/heavy/hylian trilane cast

god I'll probably be working during it too....

lkbklblkbklabmlkab

make it happen please

Chris R

Making Overwatch cost money and me not being in the beta makes it really easy not be hyped at all about it.

It would be nice if there was a demo or something closer to launch so I could try it out.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Overwatch has me worried that the base game/heroes is $40 and then everything onwards is "DLC" aka full free 2 play microtransaction system. Have they said anything on this front?

Blizzard really makes all the Valve hat/economy complaints look like a joke. Makes you truly appreciate how Valve operates CS/Dota/TF2.

I guess the worst part of this whole gender representation thing is that the same communities complain about all-Chinese finals for DOTA or all-Japanese finals for SF or all-Korean finals for LoL/SC2 because they "can't relate to those players", and therefore don't really mind that "worse" teams are able to qualify for major events because it gives them an NA/Euro team to root for.

Or that for the last 5 years reddit has incessantly complained about the "old boys club" of esports since it seems like nepotism matters more than talent or qualifications when it comes to being successful in the industry, and how it makes it difficult for new talent to get noticed even when they're more motivated than established personalities.

I mean, we've already established that representation matters and this industry isn't a meritocracy, why does it become different when it's about gender?

TUSR

Banned
Overwatch has me worried that the base game/heroes is $40 and then everything onwards is "DLC" aka full free 2 play microtransaction system. Have they said anything on this front?

Blizzard really makes all the Valve hat/economy complaints look like a joke. Makes you truly appreciate how Valve operates CS/Dota/TF2.

they way its been worded makes me believe that this is the case

also, if no one watched it tigole said it was important for players to be able to switch heroes

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
How's the game's depth? Can you see it having the kind of skill-ceiling in TFC/TF2 with all of its movement-related techniques?

For example this gif of a Junkrat player conc-jumping out of bounds is the sort of thing that interests me.

Having never played those games I can't compare it, but currently only junkrat and pharah have skill intensive movement. Pharah's doesn't come from any kind of rocket boosting either, she has a knockback. There's probably something in there for lucio, but I haven't seen it yet.

The depth in overwatch comes from skill combination and hero selection, and there's a lot in that department. Even with just two people working together you can do a lot of interesting things, let alone all six.

DrPizza

Banned
they way its been worded makes me believe that this is the case

also, if no one watched it tigole said it was important for players to be able to switch heroes

Yeah, that's what I've heard about the game; it's designed similar to TF2, where if your team needs something different you don't itemize differently (not items anyway), you just pick a different class. But apparently this tends to lead to everyone going for sniper type classes, and nobody supporting.

DrPizza

Banned
well there goes my hopes of being a dota statswoman

It's tricky, the Internet makes us feel very connected in a lot of ways, but the latency and timezone problems of Australia become quite significant.

I don't think it's for nothing that everyone's favourite lecherous racist Australian is based in germany. See also: WinteR moving to LA.

JC Sera

I guess the worst part of this whole gender representation thing is that the same communities complain about all-Chinese finals for DOTA or all-Japanese finals for SF or all-Korean finals for LoL/SC2 because they "can't relate to those players", and therefore don't really mind that "worse" teams are able to qualify for major events because it gives them an NA/Euro team to root for.

Or that for the last 5 years reddit has incessantly complained about the "old boys club" of esports since it seems like nepotism matters more than talent or qualifications when it comes to being successful in the industry, and how it makes it difficult for new talent to get noticed even when they're more motivated than established personalities.

I mean, we've already established that representation matters and this industry isn't a meritocracy, why does it become different when it's about gender?

Ok finally read through the thread
this is a really good post
It's tricky, the Internet makes us feel very connected in a lot of ways, but the latency and timezone problems of Australia become quite significant.

I don't think it's for nothing that everyone's favourite lecherous racist Australian is based in germany. See also: WinteR moving to LA.
I wish Tobi was an inaccurate portrayal of us, but his behaviour is pretty typical of Australians, blasé casual racism & sexism

Top Bottom