• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah, I feel that. I still fucking love MMOs from a conceptual perspective, but between monetization schemes that are popular right now and the popularity of both theme park MMOs with uninteresting combat, and the prevalence of "streamlining" everything to the point of total monotony and lack of emergent play I don't play them nearly as much as I used to.

Also GW1 died and WoW is shit now so that cuts down on my previous faves.

Man I love MMOs, or at least I love the idea of playing MMOs with a solid group of people. But it's impossible to keep a solid group of people for as long as I want to keep them.

I tried installing Wildstar, but it got stuck on downloading some file, kept erroring out, so I gave up. ):

Totally agree that MMOs pretty much consistently fail to meet up to their potential, though. So many interesting things to be done, but everyone just tries to be another wow. I can have fun with that, but I want something new and exciting...

Auteezy

Banned
I don't see an issue with teams/friends talking to one another about how to beat other teams, or their strategies. For me, the issue is that it appears to be directed only at DC. Ritsu is a character and i don't think anything he said about sajedene surprises anybody that he would say it.

JC Sera

Man I love MMOs, or at least I love the idea of playing MMOs with a solid group of people. But it's impossible to keep a solid group of people for as long as I want to keep them.

I tried installing Wildstar, but it got stuck on downloading some file, kept erroring out, so I gave up. ):

Totally agree that MMOs pretty much consistently fail to meet up to their potential, though. So many interesting things to be done, but everyone just tries to be another wow. I can have fun with that, but I want something new and exciting...
ever tried tabletop rpgs?

Russ T

Banned
ever tried tabletop rpgs?

Yeah I love those when I can... get a solid group of people! Hah.

Played a few here and there over the internet, using roll20, etc., but it's just not the same. Hard to be invested.

Talk about starting up a Star Wars game at work sometime soon. That should be fun. Maybe.

Wild Star is okay. PvP is pretty bunk, imo. Leveling is actually super well done, and the art and music is fantastic. Can't speak to end game.

Honestly though I think it's too theme park-y for me. I couldn't get in to the "do quests to level up to get gear to do real content" swing of things.

The only mmo I have been interested in like the past 5 years is the sercet world, and that's only for the writing and quests. The combat makes me never want to touch it.

Hylian7

I've grown to hate MMOs honestly. Mostly because the only real way to balance them to be fair is to make everything a boring grind. Runescape was NOTORIOUS for this. The cycle often went like this:

Grind for two weeks to gather whatever you need to do something cool
Do said cool thing
You're out or nearly out of stuff so you have to grind again.
Repeat.

The game implemented random events and things like that to prevent botting, but then at the same time it also seemed to be a refusal of Jagex to answer the issue with grinding the game had.

The only MMO-ish game I can stand anymore is Elite: Dangerous. And yeah, this one has grinding too, something Frontier seems to be working in a direction to rectify, but at the same time, I find the activities involved in the grinding much more fun than what you see in other MMOs. I really like realistic simulations, be they space, Arma, DCS, or whatever. That is something I particularly enjoy about Elite. On top of that the atmosphere of the game is just nice, where even doing trading is relaxing, especially in my huge Anaconda (biggest ship in the game right now). Combat is satisfying as all hell, and combat grinding events are fun too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm level 100 in Tree of Savior because pressing the attack button gives good hit feedback and you can zone out to the OST.
blush.gif

JC Sera

Yeah I love those when I can... get a solid group of people! Hah.

Played a few here and there over the internet, using roll20, etc., but it's just not the same. Hard to be invested.

Talk about starting up a Star Wars game at work sometime soon. That should be fun. Maybe.
//pats

Acinixys

The only good MMO I've played is Kingdom of Loathing

And it's not even a real MMO. It's more of a single player social experience

Everything else is a boring grind fest. TESO, WoW, TOR, GW2. I've played them all and they all suck as fun games

sixghost

I feel like I missed the era of interesting MMOs before WoW. The older games like Ultima Online where you could just kill people and take their shit sound way more fun than the PvE grind of WoW. None of those games have ever seemed interesting to play.

The only good MMO I've played is Kingdom of Loathing

And it's not even a real MMO. It's more of a single player social experience

Everything else is a boring grind fest. TESO, WoW, TOR, GW2. I've played them all and they all suck as fun games
GW2 really isn't that grindy. It kinda feels that way but because all the content is unlocked to a new player pretty much right out of the gate, and everything gives XP, you can pretty much play it and do whatever. I still massively prefer its predecessor, though.
I feel like I missed the era of interesting MMOs before WoW. The older games like Ultima Online where you could just kill people and take their shit sound way more fun than the PvE grind of WoW. None of those games have ever seemed interesting to play.
I cry sometimes thinking about how I missed out on DAoC

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm still looking for that perfect MMO, which would combine Korean approaches to combat systems with western quest/world design.

The greatest combat system I've ever seen is still unequivocally Dragon's Nest. Just the perfect blend of fighting-game-esque design and ease of use. Unfortunately the rest of a game is a stupidly long grind.

I want to try Blade and Soul as well but I already know that's a grindfest.

Maybe Dragon's Dogma Online will be what I'm seeking.

Everyone should play Wildstar at least once in their life just for the lore alone. If you can't stand MMO, treat it like a single player RPG(with occasional dungeon runs while leveling) up until the big Story revelations that opens up once once you hit level 50, it is good.

I can't see myself playing that game for a long time though since the end game dungeons are hard to play when you are playing from SEA(that Bullet Hell Dungeon Boss Wtf). Still, I shelled out $40 dollars because I think the fun I had with the lore and leveling is worth it.

Everyone should play Wildstar at least once in their life just for the lore alone. If you can't stand MMO, treat it like a single player RPG(with occasional dungeon runs while leveling) up until the big Story revelations that opens up once once you hit level 50, it is good.

I can't see myself playing that game for a long time though since the end game dungeons are hard to play when you are playing from SEA(that Bullet Hell Dungeon Boss Wtf). Still, I shelled out $40 dollars because I think the fun I had with the lore and leveling is worth it.

"bullet hell" pretty much encapsulates all my issues with wildstar combat.

mooncakes

Just curious, does anyone watches bananaslamjamma's stream?? If so, what are your thoughts on this player?

I only know about him cause he created one of the best huskar's guide i seen so far. Since huskar is one of my absolute favorite hero to play.
I think I read awhile back that NA dota doesnt like him for some reason.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think more bosses should be bullet hell bosses honestly.

Circles and lines get kind of boring. The only problem with bullet hell is that latency makes it very difficult to reliably dodge attacks.

What I really want though, are hitbox based attacks like VIndictus. It came very close to duplicating the kind of encounters you'd find in Dark Souls for a multiplayer pseudo-MMO.

Needs more of that, less tab targeting.

TUSR

Banned
I think more bosses should be bullet hell bosses honestly.

Circles and lines get kind of boring. The only problem with bullet hell is that latency makes it very difficult to reliably dodge attacks.
dps race bosses like vaelastrasz

some of the og wow raid bosses were so much fun

Auteezy

Banned
who is that

ritsu

Just curious, does anyone watches bananaslamjamma's stream?? If so, what are your thoughts on this player?

I only know about him cause he created one of the best huskar's guide i seen so far. Since huskar is one of my absolute favorite hero to play.
I think I read awhile back that NA dota doesnt like him for some reason.

I used to watch him a lot because I enjoy the same heroes he does and he is better than me. I learned sometimes about just waiting for levels on slark is better than a risky cs and stuff like that. He barely even attempts to armlet toggle during fights as huskar which i think can be kind of a mistake where he says "i was dead if i toggle anyways" may as well give it a shot then. His builds are pretty solid and doesn't always build the same item which is nice, he used to talk a lot more about why he was doing things when he first started but he kind of regressed into flaming his teammates a ton after CLQ put him through some shit. NA dota doesn't like him because he has kind of a bad attitude and was really cocky from the start despite poor performances professionally, and to be honest he can be very very demanding to play with in a serious environment. I played a handful of pub games with/vs him and nel games and what stood out the most to me was if you were supporting him he was always mad at you. If he dove and you weren't there he asks "why arent u diving with me" if you dive with him and die he is critical of that. If you pull he's mad you aren't in lane and if you are in lane soaking xp/harassing he was mad you werent pulling. Maybe he's gotten nicer about this, but he actually used to give really good advice on builds and positioning. Also his jungle farming patterns between lane and jungle are really good.

BHK3

Banned
fyck this patch, oh my god this is the quickest a patch has gone to shit for me ever. Why pick ES when you can pick tusk. Icey fissures on a better cooldown manacost damage fucking everything more useful too.

Why pick wyvern when WR's shackleshot is way better, and she can get in there and do damage.

If the mid isn't qop or lina just pick TA and faceroll everyone in your way for your 11 minute deso.

Why pick any sort of carry when you can pick alch and get a 12 minute radiance with 5 deaths but LOL STACKED CAMPS AND BOUNTY RUNES and just infinitly split psuh without ever actually doing anything.

Im about to just buy all the guilty gear DLC so I can shift my depression to awful japanese microtransactions and just play my ps4 and wait for the next patch, I honestly cant bare this any longer. I'm not even getting mad at my team anymore, its just half my games recently are me getitng rolled and losing -22, like wut???

Auteezy

Banned
fyck this patch, oh my god this is the quickest a patch has gone to shit for me ever. Why pick ES when you can pick tusk. Icey fissures on a better cooldown manacost damage fucking everything more useful too.

Why pick wyvern when WR's shackleshot is way better, and she can get in there and do damage.

If the mid isn't qop or lina just pick TA and faceroll everyone in your way for your 11 minute deso.

Why pick any sort of carry when you can pick alch and get a 12 minute radiance with 5 deaths but LOL STACKED CAMPS AND BOUNTY RUNES and just infinitly split psuh without ever actually doing anything.

Im about to just buy all the guilty gear DLC so I can shift my depression to awful japanese microtransactions and just play my ps4 and wait for the next patch, I honestly cant bare this any longer. I'm not even getting mad at my team anymore, its just half my games recently are me getitng rolled and losing -22, like wut???

he's not wrong

shira

so is there any particular reason why these guys hate dc so much?

Sunsfan and Sajadene went full tryhard trying to get their team up and running. I think they went literally 0-60 after TI5. Not sure if even Secret had that kind of deal right out of the gate
- 4k salary
- in-game item deals
- sponsor deals
- fullservice management

#jellyboys

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I think my biggest flaw in my play right now is that I like playing a hard support in ranked and can't handle aggressive lanes. Think I might just spam Clock for now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
three fucking tinker games today

who even enjoys playing against this hero?

i'd rather endure playing against a lineup of five techies

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
three fucking tinker games today

who even enjoys playing against this hero?

i'd rather endure playing against a lineup of five techies
If it makes you feel any better I was playing Tinker earlier and got destroyed by an Invoker who had 1k mmr under me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i thought i had thought of a pretty smart idea dropping disruptor ult onto his bot target but nope that dumb thing where you can instantly blink out of an aoe effect

Top Bottom