• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I bet you build your Souls characters for stats instead of fashion like a peasant as well.

shira

i've already failed my subjects this semester due to being sick for a month

fun times
hopefully I can apply for remission of debt due to the circumstances

wut?

O, I thought you were just seasonal sick.

Get well suun
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i think this point was more about how you can put all the events within the USA, requiring only US visas each time rather than putting it around Europe requiring different European visas each time which can increases the chances of people not getting visas. EU is big enough to host the events of course, but so is putting them all in the US as well, and less Visa strain.

honestly i don't know how visas work. i assumed you get an EU visa rather than a visa specific to any particular country.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Like an idiot I didn't preload Fallout and now it's taking a zillion years to DL because Steam won't use all of my bandwidth. I thought Steam DL speed was supposed to be legit why is it dipping down under 1 MB/s.
rage.gif

Haly

but i mean, they're coming in for a videogame tournament. are they really worried they wont leave again?

If you were a leader of a country would you really want more Dota fans in your borders?

Auteezy

Banned
what's the source of the EU mmr inflation thing

conventional thought is that because eu has more playes, it had more higher mmr players at calibration making it easier to calibrate higher, easier to abuse with calibration abuses like zeus. I mean the first leaderboards back in like 2013 EU was like 5.9k for 200th, and NA was 5.2/5.3

JC Sera

wut?

O, I thought you were just seasonal sick.

Get well suun
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
oh its a cold
it just keeps coming back
and ever since I got the first time a couple months back I think its fucked up my sinuses cause I keep (tmi warning)
getting blood noses, except unlike a normal blood nose the blood doesn't come out, so I end up blowing my nose and blood goes every where. Or it just slides down the back of my throat instead. Freaks people out when I'm coughing up lumps of blood, even tho its just a congealed nosebleed thats gone the wrong way

Auteezy

Banned
There's a reason NADota is trash.

Tiny tiny talent pool and they're all entitled US brats.

NA is trash because there is only core players. EU has all these supports that come from nowhere and dominate, NA just has cores that are pushed to support, hate it and get disgruntled because the only way to get noticed at all in NA is to be a core player. Support players end up either having to stay the course and struggle along, or become core players for their pub/ihl games get noticed then go back to being a support or sometimes they don't want to. EU is carried by their supports, I'm sure most core players in NA even unkown ones can match up favourably with tier2 and 3 EU cores, it's all in the supports.

Haly

Notice me fear senpaiiiii

Wait is this what's happening with RTZ?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
NA is trash because there is only core players. EU has all these supports that come from nowhere and dominate, NA just has cores that are pushed to support, hate it and get disgruntled because the only way to get noticed at all in NA is to be a core player. Support players end up either having to stay the course and struggle along, or become core players for their pub/ihl games get noticed then go back to being a support or sometimes they don't want to. EU is carried by their supports, I'm sure most core players in NA even unkown ones can match up favourably with tier2 and 3 EU cores, it's all in the supports.

the only way to get noticed at all in dota is to play core, the game is too heavily balanced around mid tbh

Auteezy

Banned
Notice me fear senpaiiiii

Wait is this what's happening with RTZ?

nah position changes from core to support most of the time happen before you ever make it, unless it's like a change for a new/rebuilt team kind of like how Aui was already a pro before moving to support. RTZ isn't moving to support tho that was just a joke. I mean guys like Bleek, Whitebeard, SVG. These guys play way more cores in pubs, at least before they joined teams, even in NEL ppd played more core than support in games I saw with him, and when he first came to dota he pretty much just randomed and went mid every game with it in pubs.

the only way to get noticed at all in dota is to play core, the game is too heavily balanced around mid tbh

Maybe, but it just seems to me that EU pumps out way more high caliber support players than NA does, and I think it's an attitude thing not just from the player but from the scene.

It's harder to notice good support play but I don't feel like the game is unfavorable towards supports, especially with all the pro-support changes over the years like more passive gold, wards lasting longer, cheaper courier, etc.

Problem is that it's the hardest role in the game while also being the most thankless one so you need to be extremely dedicated to actually become a top support player.

Also, I'm not as knowledgeable on the NA scene as Auteezy is(I follow EU mostly) but I'm also not that impressed by their offlane play and am struggling to name good na offlaners. Besides Universe obviously.

Auteezy

Banned
I think the best way right now for supports to make it in NA is just play on competitive teams with their friends and hope to get noticed by making it thru an open qualifier. Probably better than just mindlessly grinding mmr as a support. Also making friends is just as important to getting noticed. But there's no glory in being a support really, and NA mindset is to "get bitches through glory".

I can go into some detail what NEL was like outside of what you just saw on streams if anybody would be interested in that idk, i posted it to reddit once but got downvoted out of i guess jealousy or something.

Haly

Hey I'm open to it.

Shit's fascinating.

Reddit's a craphole.

DrPizza

Banned
honestly i don't know how visas work. i assumed you get an EU visa rather than a visa specific to any particular country.

Certainly for tourism you'd just get a Schengen visa, but I don't know if that applies to work or sporting events. My assumption is that they need some specific type of German visa instead.

Auteezy

Banned
Hey I'm open to it.

Shit's fascinating.

Reddit's a craphole.

Aiite I hope this isn't super wall of texty. Also I didn't proofread it cuz it's long and I'm lazy.

What NEL Was
The reason NEL worked and people played it was not just a higher quality of game, especially after RMM came out and high 5k players would have low 4k teammates, NEL gave them a place where your minimum teammates skill would be above 5k so consider that like Match Making with a skill floor. The other reason it worked is it gave random pub players chances to play with pro players, you can name drop them, tell stories of them, get flamed by them, listen and improve with them, and the slim slim chance that you play really well over an extended period of time and get noticed. Not always by a top tier pro like Sumail and EG, but to smaller degrees like BSJ, Ritsu, B9, Jah etc...

Types of Games
NEL had about 2 MM styles, Sign games where you sign and get matched on a team based on your nel rating, and Challenges where there were 2 captains who picked players who signed up, often picking only their friends. With challenges some players, tralf was big on this, would take "value players". A value player is basically just a player with a really low rating, doesn't matter if they are good or bad, you pick them because it skews the points system so a loss only loses you 10 points as opposed to 40, but a win gives you 70. The idea being that you can gain points by losing more games than you win even if your value players cost you a few games. One time I had a pretty decent rating and there was 1 spot left and 4 players, the 3 other players could all be "Value" as they had low ratings and i was like the 3rd highest rated player in this pool because it was probably the 4th or 5th day of the season and Tralf picked me instead of a value player. I did almost nothing and we won, but i felt really good being picked because my rating was higher and i was non-value and Tralf is a known player.

Real Games with Pros
Now within the SG (sign games) there were another 2 types of games. Real games and Reject games. When a pro hosted a game, they normally had a massive forbid list, or if you signed it and they didn't know you they would forbid you from that game to get a friend or known player in. If you did get into that game you pretty much were on thin ice, say the wrong thing, take somebodies core, fuck up too many times, you knew it was going to be harder to stay out of a forbid list and get into another real game. So you end up with a bunch of 5k core spammers playing supports and supporting real support players who notice all of your fuckups and instead of helping you they mostly just shit on you and forbid you. So don't fuck up! Most of the flame is joking however and in good fun. There would be good players, pro players with low ratings because all they played were these real games, most new players got a few shots at these games before ending up on a forbid list for a season, so in comes the reject games.

NEL Reject Games
Reject games are the shit you have to wade through to earn your way back into anybodies good-graces. The best reject games were ones where one team had a good player or pro player who noticed you handled yourself well in this game and might stick up for you in signing a real game or a Challenge game. Most of the time it was just 5 rejects vs 5 rejects, some nel ladder climbers feasted on reject games picking themselves that metas 1v5 hero and massing over a hundred games in the season winning 55% of them but still ending pretty high up in the standings. These are you Zenokaia's, anybody who watches higher mmr streamers or plays in that bracket knows this kind of player. Me, I was just an average reject game player, won a few more than i lost when I played safelane, tried my best as a support, sometimes made it into a real game, sometimes got drafted in challenges.

Why it Died
Players like ixmike88 would honestly be some of the lower skilled player in a reject game, but because he built the league and was a pro at some point he was always in real games, always forbidding players, shit like that. It's his league nothing wrong with it, but he often had some of the lowest point totals for having hundreds of games a season. When FPL came in there is no forbid list and they made it way harder to get in, you pretty much had to be on a team that was in qualifiers for things in NA, or make it thru the FPL qualifier which was a shit-show, a 1 week long tour of old NEL. However FPL basically in my mind ended the reject vs real game, because they cleaned up the player pool there were essentially only real games. People tried to bring back NEL as other NA invite inhouse leagues FAL, NAAL, but these died quickly. They died because it was all reject games with 0 CHANCE TO PLAY A PRO. NEL was about the chance to play with pros, get noticed as I said at the beginning. Without this there is no reason to play an inhouse invite league, it's no different than any other RMM game at that point.

Random Musings About Chat
I also forgot to mention that people who qualified through ixdlo, the open league, to nel were consistently the worst performers. Almost all of them were bottom of the standings because to be honest, beating 3ks, and trolling NEL players in ixdlo is a lot easier than grinding mmr. Most of them were low 4k players who couldnt make 5k, 5.1k, or 5.3k so they got in thru abusing ixdlo challenge system and the low quality of game. Generally within a week of them making it into NEL they were on every single forbid list imaginable, these guys even got rejected by the Reject games. And the chat was mostly joking flames, angry KZZ making valid points about play but argued with calling people apes, complaints about Jubei game ruining, throwing, and spamming GG, and late night Bloody9 AMA's because that guy never sleeps and when he gets tired he gets a little too earnest.

TLDR; Idk it's pretty long read the headers of things you find interesting? Also I was in the last "real" NEL game ever ticketed (some people have been ticketing random games with old nel tickets from march,april and other months), and the league died a true NEL death, with a dire ragequit resulting a radiant win, then the rest of radiant leaving and resulting for 6 in favour of radiant, 4 for dire and a radiant win in a game the entire radiant left http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1484601182

Haly

Aiite I hope this isn't super wall of texty. Also I didn't proofread it cuz it's long and I'm lazy.

The very definition of toxic. Thanks for all the info though. It was a good read.

Auteezy

Banned
I kind of was maybe a little harsh, NEL was a lot of fun, and even reject game players banded together to try to win to make it out of them one day, so it was more organized than being a 5k player in a 4k ap game. Also chat was hilarious, and "Reject Game" is what they were called in chat, not something I came up with.

Haly

One takeaway I got was that a lot of players seem only interested in boosting their ego, whether it's scamming their way into NEL through the ixdlo or picking value players it's all about pushing that number. Am I off?

Auteezy

Banned
One takeaway I got was that a lot of players seem only interested in boosting their ego, whether it's scamming their way into NEL through the ixdlo or picking value players it's all about pushing that number. Am I off?

Kind of, only like 5 or 6 players during the RMM days went through ixdlo to get in. Before RMM you had to go through open back when NEL was ixdl-i which I didn't play in.

Those players were ego boosters and nobody liked them, DotaKyle, Vndragon, Mekillaz, badweedz. Jms was a good, solid support player, actually did well in NEL despite not being 5k. Top 3 got a bit of prize money so ofc people were going to play to get a higher rating, also being high rating meant a shot to be noticed, however the rating pushers through reject games like zenokaia, you don't see him on high profile teams. But guys who got high rating in real games were guys like Kotaro Hayama of team unknown, that guy was a NEL star top 5 playing the high skill games, Tralf would get up there then go on massive losing sprees. I don't think it was about ego for those players, Tralf wasn't a guy trying to get noticed he already stood in for EG but was a guy trying to have better games than RMM which the real games would give him. Also a guy like Dotamaster, not many people like him, he played real and reject games, lost most real games, pushed his ratings in reject games but also got noticed enough to stand in for EG. I don't think BSJ pushed his rating for ego either but did it to get noticed. I mean even the reject games were not the easiest things and you still had to be pretty decent to push through them to grind a high rating. Teams were balanced around ratings so your higher rating meant lower rating teammates.

also being a dedicated support player, not a core pushed to support, even if you had a lowish NEL rating you would get noticed/praised, make friends as well, so it gave real support players a place to play higher quality games for them. I learned a lot about supporting and playing offlane in these games, as well as improving all around at all roles. It took me awhile just to get to 5k, then after a few months of nel as they raised their requirement from 5k to 5.1k I won 5/6 games, then from 5.1 to 5.3k i won 10/12.

Honestly your thoughts on NEL just sound like it was suck ass as a low 5k player. I imagine you could get a lot out of it, but damn if it doesn't sound like an exasperating experience.

Top Bottom