• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Hylian7

Spectre's still strong and fun to play this patch. MY PURPLE GHOST WAIFU HAS HER PATCH!
spectre-what.gif

I have had a few games recently where the other team has committed a strong dual or trilane to keep me from getting farm, and won plenty of them still. I didn't get much farm out of the lane, and often had to run all over the place as they would basically push me to opposite ends of the map, but I wasn't dying, and even though my farm was slower, I was finding it somewhere.

I've been getting Urn more often lately and I really like it, I think I underestimated it before. Just picking up a few charges is useful if you're forced into the jungle, you can usually do a stacked large camp with one charge.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1833360739

This one was one such match I had tonight. I was in a lane against Silencer and Ogre Magi, and Silencer was smart about it and maxing Curse. This is of course really bad for me, as I have mana for basically one Dagger and then I have no spells left to cast. Looking at the last hit chart for every 2 minutes, I had 33 CS at 10 minutes. I think we can all agree that is not very good, but I wasn't dying! I still managed to scrounge up a 26 minute Radiance, and quickly get my Reaver into Heart from there. There were of course many attempts to kill me, the only one I died to early on was not until 16 minutes when Jugg got an ult on me. Most of the time I was able to Dagger into the trees and either TP out or come out somewhere safe. You have a 2 second grace period from Dagger, so you can Dagger into the trees and make a U-turn to get back to tower if you're close enough. I usually pick up a Quelling Blade on Spectre for the easier secured last hits, but also just in case you have a mishap involving Dagger and get stuck, you have a way out without having to wait on a TP. Daggering through terrain is an absolutely powerful tool for early game Spectre that you must abuse, especially if the other team is constantly committing to try to kill you. If they didn't get you, they wasted their time they could have been farming or getting a kill on someone else. Your farm was slowed down when you had to leave, but that's okay, as long as the game is not completely out of control (and I'm talking someone on the other team has to be like 25-0) and you make it to 25-30 minutes, you have probably won.

Also for those looking for Spectre counters, I was against a Tinker that went Dagon, Octarine, Shiva's, and Eblade. The Octarine part of that was what did the most work I felt like, as I couldn't really keep consistent damage on him, then the Ghost Scepter/Eblade made it even harder. That 0.75 second Rearm time is no joke. I think I made a mistake in this game not buying BKB, that might have gotten me around it. The Tinker was the main issue in this game though, despite what the scoreboard may tell you. This was the game: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1832782515

One thing about BKB on Spectre: Very rarely will you ever have to buy it. The main reason is because if you use it, you're basically nullifying a lot of Dispersion you could be getting. This is why people either build tanky or now magic resistance is totally an option. I think generally tanky still works best, but if you are against a 5-magic damage team, Pipe is on the table. BKB is generally an absolute last resort item for Spectre.

elyetis

Bro get a circle pad pro. I couldn't live without mine and it's probably even better than the shitty little nub on the New 3DS (haven't played with it, but it looks dumpster tier tbh). CPP actually makes the OG model 3DS so comfortable to hold. It even makes the triggers so much easier to use. I thought I was going to regret getting it since it looks like such a big fat joke of a peripheral but after spending hundreds of hours playing MonHun I give it an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++
CPP for the 3ds xl were hard to find and overpriced when MH4 got released, and I quickly gave up on playing it without one, I had far too many problem with the camera control.
But with what you said I just checked amazon, and the CPP for xl is available... I might it a try.

Hylian7

CPP for the 3ds xl were hard to find and overpriced when MH4 got released, and I quickly gave up on playing it without one, I had far too many problem with the camera control.
But with what you said I just checked amazon, and the CPP for xl is available... I might it a try.

I have a n3DS XL and the C-stick is perfectly fine. I know it looks and sounds impractical but it works out surprisingly well. I use it for camera movement in games that support it, or the CPP. I also use it to C-stick in Smash and it works perfectly fine for that.

Hylian7

Am wrecks spec too

Disagree. I'd say it's either even or the other way around. Spectre doesn't have a huge mana pool. He'll generally burn it all quickly if she hasn't used it already and then he doesn't have much other damage beyond that, and his mana voids certainly won't be very impressive on her. If cast on someone else, the dispersion is coming right back to him. Granted, this is still magic damage, but if you're tanky enough it can be good enough.

If he gets going faster than Spectre, yeah, you're probably in for a tough time. If they're both having good farm though, I think Spectre wins. If you went Radiance, he's forced to go MKB at some point, and that likely isn't coming until sometime after Manta.

Desolate is pure damage too, and is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you have a Manta.

Regardless of AM's status though, if you can take out the rest of his team, he becomes irrelevant.

Holden

AM can farm much faster than spectre, he needs to have some sort of presence in an early teamfight though.

and i don't think a radiance warrants getting a mkb

elyetis

I have a n3DS XL and the C-stick is perfectly fine. I know it looks and sounds impractical but it works out surprisingly well. I use it for camera movement in games that support it, or the CPP. I also use it to C-stick in Smash and it works perfectly fine for that.
I have a 3DS XL, not a n3DS XL.
Too many models things quickly get confusing.

no the games just boring now tbh, the patch didnt change enough
i still see a lot of the same aids as usual (except they dont perform as great as they used to) and the meta itself is the same as its been since 6.84

as a devout arteezy and eg fangay i jsut......... dont......................... care...................................................................................about any of it........ anymroe

Yea I think you're right.

Hylian7

AM can farm much faster than spectre, he needs to have some sort of presence in a teamfight though.

and i don't think a radiance warrants getting a mkb

If you're missing kills because of missed attacks, that's absolutely a problem and could be a potential reason to get an MKB. AM can farm faster than Spectre, but then you also have to remember that after Spectre's Radiance is up (or even before to a lesser degree), she never has to stop farming as long as the creeps are available because she's in your teamfight with the press of a button. Well timed and prioritized Haunts can often decide teamfights. You can jump around to the other illusions more than once during Haunt too, which can be pretty useful if you get someone right off the bat, then need to jump to the next target.

Like I said before though, if you can take AM's team down, you've taken down AM.

ROFL

Was that even possible in Source 1?

If you're missing kills because of missed attacks, that's absolutely a problem and could be a potential reason to get an MKB. AM can farm faster than Spectre, but then you also have to remember that after Spectre's Radiance is up (or even before to a lesser degree), she never has to stop farming as long as the creeps are available because she's in your teamfight with the press of a button. Well timed and prioritized Haunts can often decide teamfights. You can jump around to the other illusions more than once during Haunt too, which can be pretty useful if you get someone right off the bat, then need to jump to the next target.

Like I said before though, if you can take AM's team down, you've taken down AM.

strikes me as a stronger argument in favor of a BKB than an MKB.

kionedrik

If you can take <Insert carry here> team down, you've taken <insert carry here> down.

AM weakest point is team fight. If you draft a team that can't fight 4v5 why are you drafting AM in the first place?

What's Slardar's 6.85 skill build? I've seen 1-4-1-1 and 2-4-0-1. I honestly prefer 4-4-0-1 as I find every point in Sprint to be extremely valuable and his bash being too unreliable to be worth of a point over sprint.

The_Poet

Banned
What's Slardar's 6.85 skill build? I've seen 1-4-1-1 and 2-4-0-1. I honestly prefer 4-4-0-1 as I find every point in Sprint to be extremely valuable and his bash being too unreliable to be worth of a point over sprint.

I get a point in everything then max stun and sprint, a point in bash is worthwhile IMO

kionedrik

I don't see going 1-1-1 being useful at all. What is a point in bash gonna accomplish in lane?

It can be useful to get a couple of last hits that you wouldn't get otherwise and perhaps even a kill. Sure it's unreliable but can turn the tides of any 1v1 harass fight in lane.

It can be useful to get a couple of last hits that you wouldn't get otherwise and perhaps even a kill. Sure it's unreliable but can turn the tides of any 1v1 harass fight in lane.

I know what it does and it sounds awfully dicey. I mean, when you go 1-4-1 you might as well, but I'm not sure if 1-4-1 (with whatever build up, 1-1-1 or 1-2-0) is better than 4-4-0. I always felt that Sprint is really good and Slardar's bash a fucking terrible skill. What do pros go these days? Haven't had much time lately to deal with 6.85 Dota.

The_Poet

Banned
I know what it does and it sounds awfully dicey. I mean, when you go 1-4-1 you might as well, but I'm not sure if 1-4-1 (with whatever build up, 1-1-1 or 1-2-0) is better than 4-4-0. I always felt that Sprint is really good and Slardar's bash a fucking terrible skill. What do pros go these days? Haven't had much time lately to deal with 6.85 Dota.

Well the pros don't pick Slardar

EDIT:

Slardar at his most effective doesn't sit there and farm all day, he is a battle hero.

Combined with a long range stun (vengeful spirit is good for the stun and -armour synergy) the bash can often land you a kill by disrupting the enemies attempt to flee.

kionedrik

The only game I saw him being picked he went 1-3-1 (don't ask who, I can't remember).

My personal preference is to pick bash at 7, unless I'm in a melee vs melee lane in which I'll pick it at 2 or 4.

Kard8p3

I miss u guys! Sadly I won't be playing this week in IHL :(. Chicago is hella great tho. Excited to move hopefully soon!

Something Something Anime.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Right on, right on! Fuck anime, let's convert all of DotaGAF into MonHunGAF.

I even made us a Discord server.

https://discordapp.com/invite/0X7YW4E2J9EnUaY0

Is everything just going to shit in this game? I began playing about 2 weeks ago, around the time Source 2 became a thing, and slowly everything has been getting worse and worse. Just today I had two games in a row where people intentionally fed using couriers while shouting in chat about how they want this game ruined.

Are people really this mad about Source 2?

AKPcPXD.jpg

FACE

Banned
Is everything just going to shit in this game? I began playing about 2 weeks ago, around the time Source 2 became a thing, and slowly everything has been getting worse and worse. Just today I had two games in a row where people intentionally fed using couriers while shouting in chat about how they want this game ruined.

Are people really this mad about Source 2?

http://i.imgur.com/AKPcPXD.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Assholes feeding couriers and throwing games has happened since the dawn of men.

Everybody has a history of griefing at some point so w/e

Courier feeding posts/vids crack me up for some peculiar reason. Not sure why I enjoy spectating griefing Dota players so much.

kionedrik

My griefing was mostly limited to building teleports in spawns and underneath the map in TF2. Many people got Very Mad.

I also did that but not out of spite, I just wanted to be a dick.

I also enjoyed cooking grenades and killing my whole team as we got out of spawn in COD1.

Sanjay

This was the game: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1832782515

One thing about BKB on Spectre: Very rarely will you ever have to buy it. The main reason is because if you use it, you're basically nullifying a lot of Dispersion you could be getting. This is why people either build tanky or now magic resistance is totally an option. I think generally tanky still works best, but if you are against a 5-magic damage team, Pipe is on the table. BKB is generally an absolute last resort item for Spectre.

I see after going Skadi, Heart you were confused and you got a Reaver and Eaglesong. Your Spectre build is the worst thing ever.

No Manta? No Diffusal Blade, NO FUCKING BLADEMAIL and you ask your self why you lost to Tinker and that team had zero BKBs.

I also did that but not out of spite, I just wanted to be a dick.

I also enjoyed cooking grenades and killing my whole team as we got out of spawn in COD1.
I spent an awful lot of time playing DM Carentan at my high school on LAN. Good times especially when you melee the guy on the mounted gun and hear the 14/15-year-olds start yelling.

The last CoD I've played was CoD4.

I remember a Reddit thread from ~2013 in which a Redditor complained about a KotL who played unremarkable in the early game, farmed up a Blink Dagger, got the courier killed, blinked to the edge of the map and recalled people without TPs LMAO. Obviously, Wisp can do similar things but this surely takes more effort. That thread was hilarious.

The punishment system in this game really needs to be improved but I wouldn't even know where to begin without getting false positives

well that's not a surprise

They see the replay with all the chat, there's not really an issue of false positives as long as it isn't completely automated. Even then if you can track that silencer bought and fed more than 4 couriers at the 5 minute mark, that guy probably should not get to play for a long while.

elyetis

Right on, right on! Fuck anime, let's convert all of DotaGAF into MonHunGAF.

I even made us a Discord server.
Wait wait wait, I want to play Monster hunter, it still doesn't stop me from having few
( well around 600 )
manga in my bookcases.

Lets find a middle ground, it should become a Monster hunter hentai group, a friend of a friend told him that there is some well drawn ones.

( I just ordered my CPP, I'll be on holiday in a week, seems like a good oportunity to give a new try to MH4 )

Top Bottom