• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Spectre's still strong and fun to play this patch. MY PURPLE GHOST WAIFU HAS HER PATCH!
spectre-what.gif

I have had a few games recently where the other team has committed a strong dual or trilane to keep me from getting farm, and won plenty of them still. I didn't get much farm out of the lane, and often had to run all over the place as they would basically push me to opposite ends of the map, but I wasn't dying, and even though my farm was slower, I was finding it somewhere.

I've been getting Urn more often lately and I really like it, I think I underestimated it before. Just picking up a few charges is useful if you're forced into the jungle, you can usually do a stacked large camp with one charge.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1833360739

This one was one such match I had tonight. I was in a lane against Silencer and Ogre Magi, and Silencer was smart about it and maxing Curse. This is of course really bad for me, as I have mana for basically one Dagger and then I have no spells left to cast. Looking at the last hit chart for every 2 minutes, I had 33 CS at 10 minutes. I think we can all agree that is not very good, but I wasn't dying! I still managed to scrounge up a 26 minute Radiance, and quickly get my Reaver into Heart from there. There were of course many attempts to kill me, the only one I died to early on was not until 16 minutes when Jugg got an ult on me. Most of the time I was able to Dagger into the trees and either TP out or come out somewhere safe. You have a 2 second grace period from Dagger, so you can Dagger into the trees and make a U-turn to get back to tower if you're close enough. I usually pick up a Quelling Blade on Spectre for the easier secured last hits, but also just in case you have a mishap involving Dagger and get stuck, you have a way out without having to wait on a TP. Daggering through terrain is an absolutely powerful tool for early game Spectre that you must abuse, especially if the other team is constantly committing to try to kill you. If they didn't get you, they wasted their time they could have been farming or getting a kill on someone else. Your farm was slowed down when you had to leave, but that's okay, as long as the game is not completely out of control (and I'm talking someone on the other team has to be like 25-0) and you make it to 25-30 minutes, you have probably won.

Also for those looking for Spectre counters, I was against a Tinker that went Dagon, Octarine, Shiva's, and Eblade. The Octarine part of that was what did the most work I felt like, as I couldn't really keep consistent damage on him, then the Ghost Scepter/Eblade made it even harder. That 0.75 second Rearm time is no joke. I think I made a mistake in this game not buying BKB, that might have gotten me around it. The Tinker was the main issue in this game though, despite what the scoreboard may tell you. This was the game: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1832782515

One thing about BKB on Spectre: Very rarely will you ever have to buy it. The main reason is because if you use it, you're basically nullifying a lot of Dispersion you could be getting. This is why people either build tanky or now magic resistance is totally an option. I think generally tanky still works best, but if you are against a 5-magic damage team, Pipe is on the table. BKB is generally an absolute last resort item for Spectre.

How should you itemize spectre if your team has no map control (enemies invading your jungle)? Drums yasha?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If me from a year ago knew that me from today was responsible for the sale of at least 2 circle pad pros I'm pretty sure year ago me would have offed himself. This must be the Back to the Future 2 timeline we're in right now. Shit's fucked up.

Demoli

That NiP game was crazy.

And Gief is in 5. On one Hand another of my chars got in, on the other Gief looks fucking boring apart from his V Skill Parry.

Urien pls, not Dalsim

Hylian7

How should you itemize spectre if your team has no map control (enemies invading your jungle)? Drums yasha?

Drums and Yasha are totally viable, I don't particularly like Drums on Spectre, but it is a valid option. Urn is still great, as you are likely to Haunt in and be near kills that happen, and of course this will keep your HP up. Some people will say Morbid Mask, I've tried this once, wasn't particularly a fan of it. S&Y can often be seen as the "I need stats & HP and I need it now" item.

Most importantly, if this is happening, just don't die. Go farm their jungle, see them all bottom lane and go push out top, dagger into the trees and TP if you see them all go missing. Ask your team to help you out with wards and stuff. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Just do your best to find farm wherever you can. Even running on minimal farm, as long as you survive and they aren't ending the game quickly enough, and you can get some semblance of items up, you have a chance. Usually this happens when team fail going high ground, and of course this gives me time to get some items up. There's no shame in Haunting to KS either, ignore what your teammates say about that, just be reasonable though. Max Desolate will wreck people.

You want Radiance at some point whether it's your first item or 3rd item. It's always valid on Spectre.

Most importantly, don't forget that you can't win 'em all. Some games the other team is actually good at shutting you down, but you can still bring a ton of them back from the jaws of defeat.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
terrorblade basically now has three ultis, since reflection is like an aoe wall of replica that slows instead of nuking

Quesa

Those games when your team is shitting on you and then the enemy team's like "he's the only person doing good on ur team"

*kisses fingertips*

Drums and Yasha are totally viable, I don't particularly like Drums on Spectre, but it is a valid option. Urn is still great, as you are likely to Haunt in and be near kills that happen, and of course this will keep your HP up. Some people will say Morbid Mask, I've tried this once, wasn't particularly a fan of it. S&Y can often be seen as the "I need stats & HP and I need it now" item.

Most importantly, if this is happening, just don't die. Go farm their jungle, see them all bottom lane and go push out top, dagger into the trees and TP if you see them all go missing. Ask your team to help you out with wards and stuff. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Just do your best to find farm wherever you can. Even running on minimal farm, as long as you survive and they aren't ending the game quickly enough, and you can get some semblance of items up, you have a chance. Usually this happens when team fail going high ground, and of course this gives me time to get some items up. There's no shame in Haunting to KS either, ignore what your teammates say about that, just be reasonable though. Max Desolate will wreck people.

You want Radiance at some point whether it's your first item or 3rd item. It's always valid on Spectre.

Most importantly, don't forget that you can't win 'em all. Some games the other team is actually good at shutting you down, but you can still bring a ton of them back from the jaws of defeat.

Thanks. I was curious because I had a game where laning phase was fine but mid game, my team and I got just wrecked (just losing teamfights left and right). I tried to farm our jungle but they invaded it. Tried to farm theirs but they had a shadowbladed slark that wasn't showing on the map. I still had gold though, just not enough to get to relic. I recognize that not all games are winnable but I feel despite that, you should never be completely shut out.

New Undying is so silly, once you go aghs you are damn near immortal, other team was like
cry.gif

I haven't tried it yet. But I never play undying much since I, either have very bad timing with the tombstone or I get teammates that don't take advantage of Undying powerful early game.

Last match with him we won because our Enigma was landing really good black holes so they never went over highground (althought this was 6.83) and our carry (luna) finally got good items and stopped doing stupid shit.
cry.gif

I also want to to know if the click issues were fixed before trying.

That's pretty cool. I wish cool things weren't named after anime things.

weeaboos make good programs. They are probably on the same tier as audiophiles on their codecs/image quality perfectionism.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
An image upscaler specialized for modern Japanese Anime. Cool. I wonder how well it works for the husbandos

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I wouldn't write off 6.85 just yet. Remember that the vast majority of patches start with the same general competitive picks from last patch for the first 2-3 weeks. Pros take time to adjust/discover. Hell DP, Razor, and Brew were all picked up until like a 6.83 b or c patch right? That's why heroes tend to get overnerfed, it usually takes an overnerf to forcibly get pro's off the current trend (in some cases). Also there just haven't been many top tier pro games recently to begin with (and by that I really just mean not much secret/EG).

I think ESL is where the patch will show its true colors; that's the moment that it will either depart from 6.84 or just stick to the current limbo up to the major. LANs always take on a life of their own, it's where people bring out all their pocket strats/practiced heroes, etc... LAN's are always where dota metagames truly begin to take shape
kunk-rum.gif

Hylian7

Literally what kicked off the feed train.

cool.gif
came through.

NP is Spectre's food. He has no hope of ganking her because getting out of Sprout is no problem. He's also pretty squishy, and with a maxed Desolate, you press R and either he has to go back to his foutain or he dies. If he's trying to rat you in the late game, you press R with some dust (if he has SB) and kill him. If he still gets away, just farm his delicious treants.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Where did you download your version tsunami. I can't find anything in the original source code about Yaio Detection

NP is Spectre's food. He has no hope of ganking her because getting out of Sprout is no problem. He's also pretty squishy, and with a maxed Desolate, you press R and either he has to go back to his foutain or he dies. If he's trying to rat you in the late game, you press R with some dust (if he has SB) and kill him. If he still gets away, just farm his delicious treants.

Lol i just meant that the rat is what finally broke my loss streak.

Top Bottom