• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Qvoth

Please do not confuse Dota 1 with the trash that was The Dota Allstars.

ErPBaV6.gif

#ninjawithdeathward4lyfe

is that old riki? when i played dota 1 back then riki was a already the purple satyr

Satch

Banned
Daily reminder, if you are drinking Soylent, do not trust your farts. Ever. I sharted all inside my scrubs today at work because I thought I was just going to be passing air.

This meal replacement thing, while convenient, definitely has its drawbacks.

OJI8q.gif

got lone druid in all random, never played the hero before

how do you hotkey this guy? I was having it on 1-Bear 2-Druid 3-Both but somehow druid would routinely walk past the bear. Is there some sort of weird micro for non-selected units in DOTA or am I just mismicroing the same way constantly?

Chris R

So Fallout 4 is this generation's Oblivion? From the PC standpoint that is, because Oblivion was ugly as sin and had a console focused UI too.

Is it really that bad? I've put ~10 hours into Fallout 3 this previous week and I'm enjoying it, having only really played NV before (only like 20 hours, never beaten). Everything I've seen of FO4 does not excite me in one bit tho.

4 is just 3.5 really. Depending on how much you like 3 will decide if you should play this game or not

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The UI for everything on pc is horrible. It makes me not want to play it at all

Yeah, really not liking the change to the Dialog system to copy Mass Effect or what ever other else popularized the "You have 4 choices for each dialog, hit Up/Left/Right/Down"

Settlement is super unintuitive and has bad controls. It seems sort of cool, but nothing is explained.

Also not liking this Power Armor system thing so far. You have limited resource with the thing (At least at the moment), so I don't want to use it. But then I get to parts where it feels like the game really expects you to just bring the thing in. Also, I did the classic thing of wiping out the base of bad guys before getting the quest.

Mordeccai

when ever I get the urge to play Oblivion I install it, spend about six hours searching for and downloading mods, play for half an hour, then just drop it.

Every. single. time. I have done this four times in the past couple years.

I think about playing that game sometimes but I don't want to kill my memories I had with that game cause I can't imagine that game holding up
with mods it actually isn't bad. Biggest issue with the game at this point (with mods, ofc) is performance. You need quite a bit of VRAM and you need to know what you're doing with load order and such to prevent CTDs.
i always think i wanna play oblivion

then remember i've been playing it like once every other year for the last 8 years in different guises
fair enough lol
when ever I get the urge to play Oblivion I install it, spend about six hours searching for and downloading mods, play for half an hour, then just drop it.

Every. single. time. I have done this four times in the past couple years.

I do the same thing, but I end up playing for more like 6-8 hours. And generally I enjoy it. But I struggle with playing a single game for an extended period.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
my biggest wish in oblivion is that there was more to do in that huge chunk of the map in the south east

it's got more of a jungle/swamp vibe but there's nothing there ;_;

my biggest wish in oblivion is that there was more to do in that huge chunk of the map in the south east

it's got more of a jungle/swamp vibe but there's nothing there ;_;

there are some pretty decent dungeons in that area, but for the most part yeah.
Oblivion was atrocious day 1. Didn't even look as good as promised.
this is somehow more offensive than your MMR tirades smh
Uh.... Serious question?
Was there a game that gave the open world vistas that oblivion did before oblivion? I mean it might not be a graphical marvel, but for the times and the expanse of the world? Game was mindblowing full stop.

Chris R

Was there a game that gave the open world vistas that oblivion did before oblivion? I mean it might not be a graphical marvel, but for the times and the expanse of the world? Game was mindblowing full stop.

The game also looked TERRIBLE on PC day 1. Even more of a bummer after the E3 showing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAI_2QNQ-Ck

Poor textures, terrible faces, ect.

Morrowind is still my favorite TES game

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
there's no universe in which oblivion looked terrible on day one

i mean what was the competition? like, ps2 games?

Hylian7

Is it really that bad? I've put ~10 hours into Fallout 3 this previous week and I'm enjoying it, having only really played NV before (only like 20 hours, never beaten). Everything I've seen of FO4 does not excite me in one bit tho.

F4 is better than F3 for sure. There are tons of notable improvements in the game. To name a few:

Conversations are less boring, characters animate while talking instead of just staring at you with that deadpan stare. I'm not a fan of the new conversation options, but I do like how the conversations play out, minus the protagonist talking.
You can just walk away in the middle of conversations.
Weapon customization is cool.
The game is more colorful in general. I really didn't like F3's "shades of puke green" color scheme.
I like the map a lot better than F3's, if only because it's not the bullshit of "metro station to next section of DC, which has stacks of rubble that block off another section of it, gotta find another metro station. Also all the metro stations are all the same!". The whole thing is open, at least so far it seems that way, and I've explored a large amount of the map, especially downtown.
More creatures, a ton more creatures. I really like how there's a bunch of super powerful creatures you'll see sometimes. I remember on one particular quest I saw a level 50 creature I had never seen before, of course I had to sneak around the thing, because there was no way I had a fighting chance against it.
Companions actually react to a lot that's happening around you. They might say something about the place you are at, or something like that. This is as opposed to them throwing out a generic "arrow to the knee" line all the time.
Art direction is better in this one, has a bit more of the "slight wackiness" of F1/2 and NV.

Granted, this game has not reached NV levels, and I don't think it ever will. It's definitely an improvement over Fallout 3 though. Damn shame they didn't take more notes from NV though, there's some stuff that I felt like should have been in that's not for some reason. Like no traits, seriously? Where's my Wild Wasteland?!

they had to rewrite the shadow system from the E3 demo iirc because it didn't play nice all of the time

that's probably at least a bit of a spin. The E3 demo has way less ambient light just hanging out. There are mods to reduce it and the game looks way more like the E3 demo just with that. Issue is some dungeons are totally impossible to see.

Auteezy

Banned
i just wanna say i played the best dazzle game i ever played and my team was calling me mvp and saying they were guna commend me and shit. :)

Acinixys

The UI for everything on pc is horrible. It makes me not want to play it at all

Bethesda has LITERALLY NEVER made a good UI. Ever.

Oblivion, FO3, FO:NV, Skyrim and now FO4 have the fucking worst UIs ive ever had to deal with in a game

The Witcher is pretty bad, but its still 10000000x better than the jank Bethesda puts out

I mean, who the fuck thought that a massive list is a good idea for a game with over 5000 items in it?

lina-vi2.gif

On another front, Steam is now supporting my countries currency. They confirmed that I will never buy a AAA release from them again

FO4 is R800 ($60) from steam, but R450 ($30) if I go out and get it from our version of Gamestop

charm_sleeping.gif

kionedrik

Oblivion was at least rpg

Oblivion was the first of a series of mechanically broken Bethesda RPGs that have little RP in them. The worse part is that as the series went on there was even less RP with each iteration.
It had a metric ton of problems that ranged from gameplay to technical issues and how it got so much recognition and praise is a testament to how shitty this industry can be.

Auteezy

Banned
1.09 was bestowed with the greatest honor in all of NA Dota tonight being carried by the one and only Yukai "Patsoul" Zheng. The one great NA carry of VoidBoys was dishonored by the archaic student visa system and sent back to China for a year after failing classes at UCI when on academic probation. Alas he has returned to carry the likes of 1.09 in 5am RMM games.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm Bethesda Fanstraight #1 and I find Oblivion hardest to go back to out of all their games. It was such a half measure in the dumbing down of Daggerfall and Morrowind's depth without any of Skyrim's (relative) polish.

Having a lot of fun playing FO4 but I'll be the first to admit that its UI is butts. On one hand it's cute that none of the technology has evolved, from a lore perspective, but for crying out loud give us proper item sorting. It's twenty-fucking-fifteen, lads.

1.09 was bestowed with the greatest honor in all of NA Dota tonight being carried by the one and only Yukai "Patsoul" Zheng. The one great NA carry of VoidBoys was dishonored by the archaic student visa system and sent back to China for a year after failing classes at UCI when on academic probation. Alas he has returned to carry the likes of 1.09 in 5am RMM games.
While we're shitting on Void Boys I'm pretty sure OmegaPwner has The Worst Handle In Competitive Video Games

Top Bottom