• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Chris R

So the techies changes are nice, good to know I can walk over something I saw planted because it's only going to hurt and not kill.

Liking 6.85 so far even if my first game had dirty stacks with 800 MMR variance

Hylian7

I'm legitimately considering buying a Wii U. The major reason I'd get it is Smash but Smash 3DS controls very poorly and the console has some other games I'd like as well (MK8, Bayo/W101, etc).

It's a fairly large investment which is why I'm thinking about it. Maybe if I want a Nintendo console I should just wait for the NX.

Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2 (with 1 included)
Wonderful 101
SSBFor
Super Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Luigi U (NSMBU is still great, but NSLU is better)
Mario Kart 8
NES Remix 1/2
ZombiU

Suffice to say, yes, it's absolutely worth it.

JC Sera

Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2 (with 1 included)
Wonderful 101
SSBFor
Super Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Luigi U (NSMBU is still great, but NSLU is better)
Mario Kart 8
NES Remix 1/2
ZombiU

Suffice to say, yes, it's absolutely worth it.
Forgot Yoshi wooly world & shovel knight

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Shovel Knight is great. They just recently updated it too so you can play as one of the Villains in New Game+. It completely changes the game. New Art, completely different playstyle, new dialogs etc. Amazing update. Its like getting a whole new game.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE DIRETIDE

remember back when we had shit like diretide? that was back when we had item drop that could be traded without restrictions and random shit like greevils to make playing special modes sort of fun? back when 4-manning at 10 minutes was not a thing.

Hylian7

remember back when we had shit like diretide? that was back when we had item drop that could be traded without restrictions and random shit like greevils to make playing special modes sort of fun? back when 4-manning at 10 minutes was not a thing.

Does anyone actually want Greeviling back? I have not seen a single person express a desire for it to come back.

Wraith Night on the other hand, people enjoyed and in fact play it on custom games right now.

Russ T

Banned
The Year Beast boss fight was pretty fun

Agreed.

Actually I'd like a new attempt at the Greeviling. I don't think it was an inherently terrible idea, but much like how I feel about Diretide and Year Beast Brawl, I think it deserves its own map and rules, not just modifying the existing map. Actually, the overthrow map would probably be pretty well suited to all the event things they've done so far.

Also I love the first part of Diretide, but I'm so sick of killing Rosh. Well, I might like killing Rosh again, but I'd want it to be its own thing, like Year Beast.

Also also yeah bring back Wraith Knight. That was my favorite, I think.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Greeviling had the ill fate of just not being fun. Its sad, it was a cool concept, a ton of work was done to make it work, and it just fell flat.

I do wonder if anyone will try to recreate it. Part of the issue was the balance was really out of whack.

Does anyone actually want Greeviling back? I have not seen a single person express a desire for it to come back.

Wraith Night on the other hand, people enjoyed and in fact play it on custom games right now.

they're all about the same. let's not pretend any of them are better than any others.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We have customs now we don't need Diretide.

I hope Diretide 2015 is just 10v10.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
they're all about the same. let's not pretend any of them are better than any others.

Wraith Night was the best by far, and then Phase 1 of Diretide. The main things those had going for them is they weren't Dota. It was a horde fight and capture the flag.

I hope Diretide 2015 is like a Halloween version of Wraith Night. And maybe toss up the original version as a Valve published custom game.

Hylian7

No way.

Diretide - The game mode before the grand Rosh fight was kind of meh, but the actual Rosh fight with people figuring out ways to do it faster/more times was pretty cool. I like that idea and was glad to see it come back in the Year Beast fight.

Greeviling - I understood the idea behind this one, but it felt kind of pay to win, as the Seraphics had a pretty clear advantage here. The idea of bringing your eggs from Diretide into this thing was neat, but then it was pretty unbalanced in favor of the people that had more stuff for the better greevils. I was stuck with Pudge Rot, Enchantress Nature's Attendants, while my opponents have....Pudge Hook and Black Hole?! Seriously? The items were given out completely randomly, and it just felt kind of all over the place. There were some strategies to steal the big greevils (Sniper Ult for instance), but it still mostly relied on who had the better greevils. Not a very fun game mode and I was sick of it after about 2 games of it.

Wraith Knight - A straight up defense mode that was simple, fun, and had cool variations on the heroes. Storm Vortex pulled multiple enemies, Windrunner Shackle hit multiple targets, and much more. The different difficulty levels got progressively harder, and since you always saw the same waves in the same order, people liked to prepare strategies for the New Game+ mode and higher than that. Also I definitely got a chuckle at the time when it said "YOU DEFEATED" after beating it. They had the new items, some were upgraded versions of items we already knew, and some were something completely new. Our first taste of something made by the custom game tools.

Year Beast (boss fight) - Valve clearly saw what people liked about Diretide, and why they wanted them to give it back (other than hats of course): Preparing a strategy to take down a boss. People would pass around team comps they would use in places like here or on Reddit. There were bugs with it, and changes every day or so as new exploits or super OP combinations were found. I specifically remember the Visage exploit where you could fly a Familiar in the corner of the map and it would just try to chase it forever, allowing you to hit it as long as you wanted with no risk of taking any damage. It did have a bit of pay to win with it, since you had the ingots to use as gold in it. I remember another strategy that was used after the Visage thing was to just buy those fireworks that stunned it, and just spam them until you hit the damage number you wanted. The moves were interesting, often telegraphing what was coming next, and even stuff like basically a bullet hell shooter.

Year Beast Brawl - They went back to a variation on regular Dota, but this one was definitely more pay to win, but not quite as much as Greeviling. Some of the stuff you got on the higher upgrades was ridiculously OP, like the Refresher Aura with Zeus. It was okay but I got tired of being on a team with people that didn't have enough points. CM Arcana buyers had plenty, but everyone else not so much.

I really hope that if Valve ever does another event game mode, that it not be so reliant on paying to win. Wraith Night was the best simply because there was absolutely zero pay to win elements to it.

mfaex

Diretide 2012 > Wraith-Night > Year Beast Boss > Diretide 2013 > Greeviling > Year Beast Dota

highfive.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why did no one tell me the guy who made the Stanley Parable came out with a new game?! I could have played that tonight instead of watching anime.

DrPizza

Banned
This year's Year Beast was great, even if it was a little pay2win. There may have been some balance issues, but the style of game it produced, where your team rallied around an NPC to defend and upgrade it was, I felt, a fun change.

Why did no one tell me the guy who made the Stanley Parable came out with a new game?! I could have played that tonight instead of watching anime.

There is always something better to do than watch animu.

bounchfx

I was lucky enough to help out with that a little (had some wrist issues halfway through so I had to stop unfortunately), but it's a very interesting title, nothing really like it and it's quite thought provoking. A lot different from Stanley but I think it's pretty awesome and worth a play-through for sure.

JC Sera

The Beginner's Guide

Tell me what you think, I didn't like Stanley Parable (the original demo, not the commercially released game that I never bought) that much but I'm interested in hearing what people thought about this one.
I follow Laura Kate on twitter, she is raving about it (w/o spoilers) it has struck a very deep chord with her, and has really stuck in her head
apparently from her twitter:
1) This game is very easy to spoiler, unlike stanley parable you should go in completely unspoilered
2) This game is a lot more personal and emotional than SP
3) After you play this game, and have played SP, you will feel like going back and playing SP and see it in a different light

I havent played it, but I bought it for my beau because he loved stanley parable so much

Top Bottom