• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

The_Poet

Banned
Anyone want to give specifics as to why they dont like source 2?

I feel there's an outrage bandwagon for it but I haven't heard anyone say why and haven't encountered any problems with it myself.

I don't mind Reborn at all. My game activity has dropped a lot since Valve decided to bore me with 5 months patch cycles. It's honestly a game breaker for me.

I had the most fun with Dota in 2013.

KingKong

I don't mind Reborn at all. My game activity has dropped a lot since Valve decided to bore me with 5 months patch cycles. It's honestly a game breaker for me.

I had the most fun with Dota in 2013.

6.85 just being number tweaks is definitely why I lost a lot of interest in playing

inkls

I still don't understand riki at 55% winrate

that regen buff made him so good in the offlane and that diffusal change basically means you need sentries or gem to kill him. I've seen a few rikis get gem straight after diffusal making them pretty much unkillable.

Hero's pretty stompy as well.

He's also a diffusal builder vs popular pub heroes like omniknight who get destroyed by it.

kionedrik

I feel there's an outrage bandwagon for it but I haven't heard anyone say why and haven't encountered any problems with it myself.

My main issue with it is the shit network conditions that get even shittier every day that passes.

I'd like to think it has no correlation with source 2, why would a graphics engine affect the connection settings right?, but the truth is it all started when reborn was forced down our throats as the main client.

I can live with the graphics bugs honestly, even the hitboxes and untargettable wards.

Hey so I'm doing this insane thing

If you have to flame me, do it here I guess.

Morph being #110 i can somewhat tolerate although I don't understand why, same for Dazzle, but seeing QoP behind Viper is just all kinds of wrong.

Low Tier
ur completely wrong on the lina thing btw

the entire characer is an homage to Slayers, i mean the character's name is Lina Inverse rolf and all her moves are from the anime.

I mean PL was actually just Kimahri Ronso from FF X-2

the mroe u know

Quesa

ur completely wrong on the lina thing btw

the entire characer is an homage to Slayers, i mean the character's name is Lina Inverse rolf and all her moves are from the anime.

Knowing she has anime origins would have made me rank her lower
dac15_cool.gif

inkls

its nice to see an LC with actual duel damage in this fantastic five vs no logic gaming game.

http://www.twitch.tv/thegdstudio

Don't understand why teams don't prioritize getting her duel dmg and get duel for the lockdown. If thats why you pick her, might as well pick offlane beastmaster for roar.

Low Tier
honestly the fact that you didnt put lifestealer in liek the bottom 5 is astounding that hero is just flat.

or slardar. As good and as fun of a hero he is to play he's honestly just a toolkit. There's no aesthetic to his design or model, u could replace him with an error box and nothing would change

lich is also horribly dull in terms of execution, and gameplay. rolf im an eldritch look at me shoot ice ! ! !

ember fucking owns tho that hero's the shit

so's puck

kvk's honestly a final fantasy nerd so whatever just look at this shit

maxresdefault.jpg

how did people play this i forgot

Constantly being kicked to main menu
Not being able to load into match at all
Hitbox issues
Lagtastics

inkls

i think it's the lockdown + purge/heal

nobody wants a melee str carry right now

I mean it in the sense that they pick her solo offlane usually. But the problem is that they don't want her to get early damage, which means she will have a hard time picking off solo supports by herself.

Went from 12 mil unique players to 11 mil in the past 2 months I think.

http://dota2.com

It will return to steady growth once the game finds a normal cadence for updates, balance amendments and new heroes. Reborn has been a flashback to 2012 for me with the daily patches and updates. We haven't seen this level of activity around Dota2 since it was in Beta. Hopefully we'll see it convert into getting the last 2 heroes done before the end of the year and maybe 2016 will give us a better pace to updates that are better than 6 months between patches and more than that for heroes.

On Monday we will have reached 10 months since the last new hero was added to the game. We got 4 last year with a similar gap in between releases (2 during New Bloom, 2 towards the end of the year). So far in 2015: just Wyvern along with the new client. I can't imagine we'll end 2015 with just 1 new hero, but that's actually where we are right now.

While shit like new heroes doesn't matter all that much to the hardcore Dota 2 junkies, it matters a ton to the casual players who enjoy the "new and shiny" experience. And really, 10 months should be too long of a gap for everyone, hardcore or casual. Irrespective of the excuses.

Valve could also do a bit better job developing the atmosphere and story behind the game and its cast of characters. Comic strips like we saw for The Contract and WW's release provide a sort of engagement that the game by itself can't facilitate on its own. Comic strips and videos really gave Team Fortress 2 a lot of life and personality over the years beyond the gameplay itself. Hopefully we'll see more of those, as I believe they'd provide the same benefits.

Lastly, I've said it before but Valve killed off an entire subculture of Dota2 by destroying trading and selling of items. While Dota 2 is uniquely difficult to create a proper market for due to the sheer volume of items and item slots, the reality is that the system that used to be in place at least allowed for an opportunity for items to truly be rare and truly hold their value over time. Surely the changes here have had an impact on the enthusiasm of some to be in and around the game. Meanwhile, CSGo and TF2 continue to be largely vibrant in their marketplaces. In fact, many will credit a lot of CSGo's growth on Steam to the implementation of weapon skins and the subsequent market that exploded out of it, adding an enjoyable and interesting dimension to the game for casuals and collectors alike. I don't know what's going to happen with Dota 2's market, but the whole "not tradable" and "not marketable" for 3 months shit has to go. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to trade or buy whatever item I want when I still want it. I hope they figure out a better solution than this ASAP.

inkls

Lastly, I've said it before but Valve killed off an entire subculture of Dota2 by destroying trading and selling of items. While Dota 2 is uniquely difficult to create a proper market for due to the sheer volume of items and item slots, the reality is that the system that used to be in place at least allowed for an opportunity for items to truly be rare and truly hold their value over time. Surely the changes here have had an impact on the enthusiasm of some to be in and around the game. Meanwhile, CSGo and TF2 continue to be largely vibrant in their marketplaces. In fact, many will credit a lot of CSGo's growth on Steam to the implementation of weapon skins and the subsequent market that exploded out of it and added an enjoyable and interesting dimension to the game for casuals and collectors alike. I don't know what's going to happen with Dota 2's market, but the whole "not tradable" and "not marketable" for 3 months shit has to go. There's no reason I should be able to trade or buy whatever item I want when I still want it. I hope they figure out a better solution than this ASAP.

I'd like it if they gave you the option to recombine/wrap sets. Maybe it would help with the problem of having a ton of arm pieces for 0.02$ on the market.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It should be noted that the combination of moving to Source 2 and all the changes to the item system have killed a lot of bot accounts.

I had a very terrible pc, and while my source 1 frame rate wasn't great, it still ran ok. The first time I jumped into the reborn beta it was like unplayable in terms of loads and performance. I've since upgraded and the performance improvement is definitely more than I would've gotten on source 1, but I bet a lot of people with bad machines just gave up once they lost source 1 access.

bts_merlini.gif

Zeus is pretty boring, but I feel like the way his abilities work you could probably craft a pretty good tutorial around him.

It will return to steady growth once the game finds a normal cadence for updates, balance amendments and new heroes. Reborn has been a flashback to 2012 for me with the daily patches and updates. We haven't seen this level of activity around Dota2 since it was in Beta. Hopefully we'll see it convert into getting the last 2 heroes done before the end of the year and maybe 2016 will give us a better pace to updates that are better than 6 months between patches and more than that for heroes.

On Monday we will have reached 10 months since the last new hero was added to the game. We got 4 last year with a similar gap in between releases (2 during New Bloom, 2 towards the end of the year). So far in 2015: just Wyvern along with the new client. I can't imagine we'll end 2015 with just 1 new hero, but that's actually where we are right now.

While shit like new heroes doesn't matter all that much to the hardcore Dota 2 junkies, it matters a ton to the casual players who enjoy the "new and shiny" experience. And really, 10 months should be too long of a gap for everyone, hardcore or casual. Irrespective of the excuses.

Valve could also do a bit better job developing the atmosphere and story behind the game and its cast of characters. Comic strips like we saw for The Contract and WW's release provide a sort of engagement that the game by itself can't facilitate on its own. Comic strips and videos really gave Team Fortress 2 a lot of life and personality over the years beyond the gameplay itself. Hopefully we'll see more of those, as I believe they'd provide the same benefits.

Lastly, I've said it before but Valve killed off an entire subculture of Dota2 by destroying trading and selling of items. While Dota 2 is uniquely difficult to create a proper market for due to the sheer volume of items and item slots, the reality is that the system that used to be in place at least allowed for an opportunity for items to truly be rare and truly hold their value over time. Surely the changes here have had an impact on the enthusiasm of some to be in and around the game. Meanwhile, CSGo and TF2 continue to be largely vibrant in their marketplaces. In fact, many will credit a lot of CSGo's growth on Steam to the implementation of weapon skins and the subsequent market that exploded out of it, adding an enjoyable and interesting dimension to the game for casuals and collectors alike. I don't know what's going to happen with Dota 2's market, but the whole "not tradable" and "not marketable" for 3 months shit has to go. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to trade or buy whatever item I want when I still want it. I hope they figure out a better solution than this ASAP.

I feel you on the last point. Dota 2 trading is dead because of the restrictions. Many people are into the trading of both TF2/CSGO, and honestly I think DOTA 2 was doing pretty well too but Valve killed it.

What was the cause of the restricitons? After they were placed we saw more dota 2 store sales so, in my mind anyway, I think they were placed so item creators would get more money from the store since you could get entire sets for really small cents with all those 0.02 pieces.

I thank every day that I sold almost all my shit right before they were placed.

Russ T

Banned
Source 2 is supposed to be better at running on lower-end machines than Source 1 was.

They had videos demoing Source 2 running on integrated graphics chips and it definitely looked a lot smoother than Source 1 ever did.

I dunno if poor performance in Reborn was just early hiccups or if they failed to reach their goal or what.

Quesa

Is it still bad form to post something you wrote r/dota 2? I wanna put those hero rankings up there but after the Matt thing last year it I think it might be uncouth. If someone wants to post it on there and reap the karma (or loss thereof) be my guest.

inkls

Is it still bad form to post something you wrote r/dota 2? I wanna put those hero rankings up there but after the Matt thing last year it I think it might be uncouth. If someone wants to post it on there and reap the karma (or loss thereof) be my guest.

how often do you comment on the sub? If you do, shouldn't be a problem, but I dunno with reddit.

It should be noted that the combination of moving to Source 2 and all the changes to the item system have killed a lot of bot accounts.

Some people I used to play with didn't felt compelled enough to download the entire game again (This is from countries where Comcast would be embraced like heaven) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mordeccai

GG indeed.

You played the witcher on your regular monitor at all? With gsync it feels like a whole new game.

I've really cut down on multiplayer games since getting a gsync monitor, everything feels so good to play.

yeah I've played about two hours with it just to test out the 980ti when I got it a month back.

real reason I stopped playing it:
My dealer got busted and from that first hour, I knew that playing this game without ganja would just be doing myself a disservice

super stoaked to get my Acer XB270HU tomorrow. $800 but fuck it, been working too damn hard the past few weeks to not treat myself to something shiny.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Here's my rankings:

Naga Siren
Loss Commander
Queen of Pain
Windrunner
Luna
Maiev
Templar Assassin
Night Stalker
Phoenix
Lina
Puck
Drow Ranger
Spectre
Phantom Lancer
Crystal Maiden
Skywrath Mage
Winter Wyvern
Phantom Assassin
Slark
Earth Spirit
Disruptor
Fiora
Pugna
Vengeful Spirit
Enchantress
Mirana
Tusk
Rubick
Morphling
Invoker
Death Prophet
Medusa
Weaver
Elder Titan
Dazzle
Silencer
Nyx
Kunkka
Visage
Sven
Axe
Dragon Knight
Tiny
Treant Protector
Slardar
Bounty Hunter
Earthshaker
Ember Spirit
Faceless Void
Storm Spirit
Jakiro
Ancient Apparition
Shadow Demon
Ursa
Magnus
Ogre Magi
Broodmother
Io
Witch Doctor
Meepo
Pudge
Clockwerk
Doom
Brewmaster
Venomancer
Shadow Shaman
Anti Mage
Terrorblade
Bristleback
Timbersaw
Tinker
Shadowfriend
Bane
Chen
Juggernaut
Abaddon
Omniknight
Tidehunter
Riki
Clinkz
Viper
Nature's Prophet
Enigma
Sand King
Outworld Devourer
Zeus
Leshrac
Huskar
Lycan
Techies
Centaur Warrunner
Spirit Breaker
Beastmaster
Batrider
Chaos Knight
Lion
Sniper
Gyro
Razor
Dark Seer
Keeper of the Light
Warlock
Lone Druid
Lich
Troll Warlord
Oracle
Alchemist
Bloodseeker
Necrophos
Wraith King
Undying
Lifestealer

They are ranked by waifu/husbando levels.

Fevaweva

Just started watching this VP vs 5Jungz game and I was like "wait, how can Team Liquid a) Exist and b) be beating VP?" then realised that Liquid have bought, if indeed that is what E-sports teams do, 5Jungz.

When did that happen?

Here's my rankings:

Naga Siren
Loss Commander
Queen of Pain
Windrunner
Luna
Night Stalker
Maiev
Templar Assassin
Phoenix
Lina
Puck
Drow Ranger
Spectre
Phantom Lancer
Crystal Maiden
Skywrath Mage
Winter Wyvern
Phantom Assassin
Slark
Earth Spirit
Disruptor
Fiora
Pugna
Vengeful Spirit
Enchantress
Mirana
Tusk
Rubick
Morphling
Invoker
Death Prophet
Medusa
Elder Titan
Dazzle
Silencer
Nyx
Kunkka
Visage
Sven
Axe
Dragon Knight
Tiny
Treant Protector
Slardar
Bounty Hunter
Earthshaker
Ember Spirit
Faceless Void
Storm Spirit
Jakiro
Ancient Apparition
Shadow Demon
Ursa
Magnus
Ogre Magi
Io
Witch Doctor
Meepo
Pudge
Clockwerk
Doom
Brewmaster
Venomancer
Shadow Shaman
Anti Mage
Terrorblade
Bristleback
Timbersaw
Tinker
Shadowfriend
Bane
Chen
Juggernaut
Abaddon
Omniknight
Tidehunter
Riki
Viper
Nature's Prophet
Enigma
Sand King
Outworld Devourer
Zeus
Leshrac
Huskar
Lycan
Techies
Centaur Warrunner
Spirit Breaker
Beastmaster
Batrider
Chaos Knight
Lion
Sniper
Gyro
Razor
Dark Seer
Keeper of the Light
Warlock
Lone Druid
Lich
Troll Warlord
Oracle
Alchemist
Bloodseeker
Necrophos
Wraith King
Undying
Lifestealer

Nightstalker that high? I guess Haly likes the dark
meat

blink.gif

Vade

Wait Lina was anime all along?All these years it was slowly, seeping into my soul and only Tusr was the catalyst for it to come to the surface.

ghD8eXi.jpg

Hylian7

Here's my rankings:

Naga Siren
Loss Commander
Queen of Pain
Windrunner
Luna
Maiev
Templar Assassin
Night Stalker
Phoenix
Lina
Puck
Drow Ranger
Spectre
Phantom Lancer
Crystal Maiden
Skywrath Mage
Winter Wyvern
Phantom Assassin
Slark
Earth Spirit
Disruptor
Fiora
Pugna
Vengeful Spirit
Enchantress
Mirana
Tusk
Rubick
Morphling
Invoker
Death Prophet
Medusa
Elder Titan
Dazzle
Silencer
Nyx
Kunkka
Visage
Sven
Axe
Dragon Knight
Tiny
Treant Protector
Slardar
Bounty Hunter
Earthshaker
Ember Spirit
Faceless Void
Storm Spirit
Jakiro
Ancient Apparition
Shadow Demon
Ursa
Magnus
Ogre Magi
Io
Witch Doctor
Meepo
Pudge
Clockwerk
Doom
Brewmaster
Venomancer
Shadow Shaman
Anti Mage
Terrorblade
Bristleback
Timbersaw
Tinker
Shadowfriend
Bane
Chen
Juggernaut
Abaddon
Omniknight
Tidehunter
Riki
Viper
Nature's Prophet
Enigma
Sand King
Outworld Devourer
Zeus
Leshrac
Huskar
Lycan
Techies
Centaur Warrunner
Spirit Breaker
Beastmaster
Batrider
Chaos Knight
Lion
Sniper
Gyro
Razor
Dark Seer
Keeper of the Light
Warlock
Lone Druid
Lich
Troll Warlord
Oracle
Alchemist
Bloodseeker
Necrophos
Wraith King
Undying
Lifestealer

Maiev, Fiora?

God dammit TUSR

Top Bottom