• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
I liked their odds a lot better fighting fnatic head on. You didn't build BKBs on Bane and WD, and an Aghs on WD to base race...

snack

tumblr_m8t0ewYukZ1qzt2qao1_500.png

haha

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Dotaskill dude left his database and source code wide open for a few minutes.

It just takes your win rate, KDA, GPM, XPM and enemy's average win rate and figures out your "skill" via that.

Which means low kill, low farm games (for example, if you're a support) probably count against you even if you did everything right. It doesn't appear to take wards or anything into account, so it's very carry biased.

An entirely worthless stat.

It compares it on a per hero basis though, so if you're CM KDA/GPM/whatnot is better than the average CM, it rewards you. Very similar to Valve's old hero bar system. It doesn't compare your CM play to another player's lifestealer. Probably a lot worse than a standard elo based system, but it's probably the closest you can get to quantifying skill with all the walls Valve has put up to prevent any form of elo ranking.

However, the system is pretty flawed in the sense that it punishes people that play traditional carries as supports (i.e. naga, gyro, alch).

Shepard

Damn Luna was so good, now she is a complete trash after the tranquils nerf. Either you lane with a healer babysitting you or you cant lane at all.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Dotaskill dude left his database and source code wide open for a few minutes.

It just takes your win rate, KDA, GPM, XPM and enemy's average win rate and figures out your "skill" via that.

Which means low kill, low farm games (for example, if you're a support) probably count against you even if you did everything right. It doesn't appear to take wards or anything into account, so it's very carry biased.

An entirely worthless stat.

I doubt the system is based only on those factors, if if really is only taking into account the last 20 matches. I've played support for nearly half of those games (7/20), had some terrifically bad scores from rough games, a 1-16 CM game for example, and have been on a bit of a losing streak, losing 12 of those last 20. My winrate isn't particularly good either. Despite all of those things I still ended up over 1500, so I suspect there are other factors at work.

While I won't pass judgement on the efficacy of those factors or what they are, it seems like they exist. For the record I think dsr is idiotic and inaccurate, and Valve really needs to just put a StarCraft2 style ranking system together.

Do more or less pros play Luna post 6.79 patch?

From a quick check of datdota, she has been picked up more since 6.79 than the entirety of 6.78 and her winrate is much better as well.

6.78 Picks 151 Wins 68 Losses 83 Winrate 0.450
6.79 Picks 179 Wins 96 Losses 83 Winrate 0.536

snack

From a quick check of datdota, she has been picked up more since 6.79 than the entirety of 6.78 and her winrate is much better as well.

6.78 Picks 151 Wins 68 Losses 83 Winrate 0.450
6.79 Picks 179 Wins 96 Losses 83 Winrate 0.536

Nice. Thanks for that info.

Soule

I'm pretty stoked with Fnatic doing well, I only really started following them because of the Meepo plays but they weren't really getting any results when I started watching, but the fact they've stayed with the same roster so long and all their players present themselves quite well and seem relaxed, that endeared them to me a bit and now they're playing really strong. Would love to say they're my #1 ranked team but I don't think I would believe that right now lol, still need some more out of them.

On another note it's been great seeing some other teams get over the top of Na'Vi and Alliance, Speed and Fnatic's results have mixed it up a bit for me and I've started to follow the scene a bit closer again.

Wok

I have written a little code in Python to aggregate dota data. As soon as I have enough data, I will be trying to infer my own rating.

Edit: After downloading the data for 25 players, my queue list of players to process is already of length 1000. This is not going to end well.

BeesEight

I'm pretty stoked with Fnatic doing well, I only really started following them because of the Meepo plays but they weren't really getting any results when I started watching, but the fact they've stayed with the same roster so long and all their players present themselves quite well and seem relaxed, that endeared them to me a bit and now they're playing really strong. Would love to say they're my #1 ranked team but I don't think I would believe that right now lol, still need some more out of them.

On another note it's been great seeing some other teams get over the top of Na'Vi and Alliance, Speed and Fnatic's results have mixed it up a bit for me and I've started to follow the scene a bit closer again.

Fnatic have been pretty good at taking games from Na'Vi and Alliance for awhile now. Though they're my favourite team, I still recognize they're a little too inconsistent to be top. They can absolutely dominate those two then turn around and lose to EG or mouse. However, I can't argue with Matt's ranking. I don't know if I'd place Speed in third but they've been posting some good results lately so it's not that big of an argument.

I think the pros have pointed out just how tight the competition is currently which is what makes Dota so exciting.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
I just published my Western power rankings, a new fortnightly thing we are going to do on the site with a top four list.

1. Na'Vi
2. Fnatic
3. Speed Gaming.int
4. Alliance

What are your guys top four at the moment for the Western scene?

More. All the vision nerfs were a nice buff for Luna.

Also NOUVA

I would have to agree as well.

Na'Vi have been doing a lot better than I expected them to (even though they always do good and are usually in the top bracket of any tournament).

Fnatic shocked me is all I have to say. They have been doing some amazing plays and I love watching them play.

Not sure about speed gaming but they did really well against DK and it takes a lot to beat them.

Alliance ... >.> bottom of the list for sure.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just published my Western power rankings, a new fortnightly thing we are going to do on the site with a top four list.

1. Na'Vi
2. Fnatic
3. Speed Gaming.int
4. Alliance

What are your guys top four at the moment for the Western scene?

Seems about right, in all honesty I could see any of the top 6 (Liquid and Sigma) winning a tournament without it being too shocking

Really hoping Fnatic can win this weekend, them winning a LAN would be amazing
Alliance have a lot to prove though, their recent form has been weak but that can change quickly

Liquid have been disappointing lately, they looked set to be challenging for top spot and then suddenly seem like a non-factor

Trasher

1) milkman rarely mms with us
2) Oh I'm aware. It's just like any other team game, CS:GO, LoL, HoN, etc... of course the rating isn't perfect, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful. In HoN, 90% of the time someone with a higher rating than you was generally better than you. Same deal with CS:GO. Hell, there were solo queue pub stars like CRUSHED with higher elo than pros who stacked (and it showed, he CRUSHED them pretty hard). I've also heard good things about the LoL system from friends though I can't speak from personal experience there.
3) TMM is complete dog shit for many reasons you outline. Also, starting off teams anywhere from 0 to 5000 kind of defeats the purpose of a leaderboard. You play 3 games to determine your rating and your done. I appreciate the premise, but it's just not going to work. Hell, maybe make the ranked mode CM/CD only to maintain some of the TMM feels idk.
4)
EQQdafw.png

ur garbage kid get good
Look how defensive this kid gets! LOLOL

Your attempt at a serious post in this thread is about as good as my updated DSR rating. Go get carried by BZM more. #GSO

GAFHOUSE UP, NEED MORE PEEPS'

pw: neogaf
LOL

I love when you guys play against people from GAF way below your skill tier just to boost your ego. GET A LIFE! #GSO

Boken

Banned
Look how defensive this kid gets! LOLOL

Your attempt at a serious post in this thread is about as good as my updated DSR rating. Go get carried by BZM more. #GSO

LOL

I love when you guys play against people from GAF way below your skill tier just to boost your ego. GET A LIFE! #GSO
dem truuf bombs
shira makes a power rankings, then cyborgmatt makes a powerrankings . . . .
Wanna team up matt?

Swagswagswag

looks like a LoL character

Trasher

You guys need to get a room....

Or settle the argument 1v1 mid SF.

If anbokr got a job and contributed to society by paying taxes maybe it'd be an even matchup, but until then he'll always have the advantage over me. I haven't played more than like five MM games in the last three months. :(

Procarbine is probably carrying his ass in that IH as we speak.

Lotto

That Luna set is surprisingly cheap. Was expecting it to be like $10 minimum, might have to pick that up even though I don't even play her that much, just really like the contributors.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
If anbokr got a job and contributed to society by paying taxes maybe it'd be an even matchup, but until then he'll always have the advantage over me. I haven't played more than like five MM games in the last three months. :(

Procarbine is probably carrying his ass in that IH as we speak.

nice excuses bro i probably haven't played more than 5 either

trasher ima find u in santa monica and dunk ur ass back in the great lakes

Zephyx

On what servers do IH GAF usually play? NA? I want to try playing with them at some point but I'm afraid the latency will be huge. From SEA btw.

Gxgear

Now that Valve's dropped all pretense of keeping cosmetics in line with lore, someone should make a blue Hedgehog set for Bristleback.

On what servers do IH GAF usually play? NA? I want to try playing with them at some point but I'm afraid the latency will be huge. From SEA btw.

USE

Zephyx

Now that Valve's dropped all pretense of keeping cosmetics in line with lore, someone should make a blue Hedgehog set for Bristleback.

USE

Thanks. Will try my connection with USE servers during the weekend. One question though, is it possible to know the ping with the server before playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom