• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Trying to learn a ELO score based on a match history of length 20 sounds so dumb.

Honestly, let the guy apply the algorithm to another game for which:
  1. the Elo score is known,
  2. the outcome of the match depends on a player, not on a team with players being assigned different roles,
such as Chess or Scrolls.

This heuristic method would dramatically fail in both cases, which are easier to validate and easier to predict than the ELO score of Dota 2.

Just imagine classifying chess games between pro and novice based on the game duration, the number of pieces left at the end, which pieces were taken, etc, plus a game history of length 20...
I would be more confident in features such as at what time points in a game do the kills happen, and the duration between each kill.
Anyway, the clustering would fail, and hence the predicted pseudo-ELO score would be meaningless.

BZM, is the guy who made Mydotaskill trolling us? Does the maths he is talking about actually do the things he says they should? It sounds like he is talking technobabble and not real mathematics.
This is why I said this site is just fluff. If he doesn't want to talk about his formulas at all then it's pretty obvious that he isn't confident of how they would hold up to scrutiny.

ElyrionX

Trying to learn a ELO score based on a match history of length 20 sounds so dumb.

Honestly, let the guy apply the algorithm to another game for which:
  1. the Elo score is known,
  2. the outcome of the match depends on a player, not on a team with players being assigned different roles,
such as Chess or Scrolls.

This heuristic method would dramatically fail in both cases, which are easier to validate and easier to predict than the ELO score of Dota 2.

Just imagine classifying chess games between pro and novice based on the game duration, the number of pieces left at the end, which pieces were taken, etc, plus a game history of length 20...
I would be more confident in features such as at what time points in a game do the kills happen, and the duration between each kill.
Anyway, the clustering would fail, and hence the predicted pseudo-ELO score would be meaningless.

Except Dota *is* a team game and the guy is trying to account for the team aspects of it in his model.

Spookie

This is why I said this site is just fluff. If he doesn't want to talk about his formulas at all then it's pretty obvious that he isn't confident of how they would hold up to scrutiny.

Not been to his site, but I'm sure that fluff might be making him a bit of dough via ad views surely?

ViviOggi

I'm watching arteezys twitch stream and he has Korean announcers. How'd he do it?

You just have to change the game's language to Korean in Steam. This only affects the standard announcer and hero voiceovers, everything else stays in English.

Puck is best Korean voice

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He describes his models as "hyperdimensional", which I take to mean it's more than just a line plot and he's factoring game time as well.

I agree with Cyborg in that he is clearly not confident in his method enough to reveal the formulae (although he might want to preserve it for commercial use), and the constant changes support this as well. This is very much a work in progress and DOTA2 players are the guinea pigs.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
He describes his models as "hyperdimensional", which I take to mean it's more than just a line plot and he's factoring game time as well.

I agree with Cyborg in that he is clearly not confident in his method enough to reveal the formulae (although he might want to preserve it for commercial use), and the constant changes support this as well. This is very much a work in progress and DOTA2 players are the guinea pigs.

Of course, I mean he's one of the first to attempt a ranking system since Valve crushed any hope of an elo based one with the whole dotabuff fiasco. I'm sure he's constantly refining the algorithm as he finds better ways to attempt to quantify skill amidst all the restrictions and private data. Like green biker dude said, you can't tell the difference between a 1500 and a 1600, or hell, probably even a 1200 and a 1600; but the system doesn't seem bad for general tiers. People are (generally) ranked around where you'd expect them to be, and something like DSR (granted when it stops getting changed so frequently) could be a nice temporary solution for people to be able track their progress on the legendary quest to escape the trench.

Also he could simply be hiding his formulas/method in order to protect it. Valve crushed DBR fairly quickly and if he was completely transparent with how he calculates DSR, Valve could attempt to find a way to quash that or throw a kink in there.

I mean all this DSR crap just reaffirms that people want a legit ranking system and it brings to the forefront, once again, something that DOTA 2 is sorely lacking. People are so desperate for some sort of rating that they'll flood some random dude's site without knowing jack shit about his methods/formulas, it speaks volumes that we're even having this debate and that DSR (an unknown ranking from an unknown author on a previously unknown site) has already blown up in just a few days time.

DOTA 2 is missing just 3 features to be the ultimate game IMO (in order of importance):

1) Parity
2) Ranked matchmaking
3) Custom maps

Finish up those three and I honestly can't see myself playing very many other games for the next 10 years. #1 is coming along sluggishly (though we'll get there eventually), and no word on #2 or #3. Hopefully the next couple big updates give us something in these departments.

Hylian7

BZM, is the guy who made Mydotaskill trolling us? Does the maths he is talking about actually do the things he says they should? It sounds like he is talking technobabble and not real mathematics.

He seems to imply that he was actually putting some stock in the "VOLVO FORCES 50% WINRATE!!!" argument.

This guy has to be trolling.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He seems to imply that he was actually putting some stock in the "VOLVO FORCES 50% WINRATE!!!" argument.

This guy has to be trolling.
English is clearly not his first language:
In one way or another, they force a 50% winrate by sometimes making you take really unfair matches. I highly doubt it.
He contradicts himself in this same sentence so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

However he is correct that, speaking in the most technical sense, Valve is forcing a 50% win rate by creating games where both teams have an even chance of winning. Over a long enough period of time, or if Valve creates the perfect DOTA2 matchmaking system, all win rates of all players will eventually tend toward ~50%, barring outliers such as smurfing or people intentionally losing.
Retracted again, because I can't decide if this is a random walk.

I'm reading the convo between him and other math nerds on reddit and it's pretty nerdy.

sephi22

0F4WlwM.gif

cCX5THN.gif

HNNNNGGG....
Preorders uncancelled

M.D

You know, solo que is not all that bad!
I refused to solo que till now, but last week I finally gave in after no one was playing, and I've been doing it ever since!

Some people actually support when picking a support hero, and not everyone picks a carry and call you names and shit

ElyrionX

I just started incorporating shift-queueing into my game and I only just realized how much auto-attacking can screw up your queued commands.

Say, I'm using Puck and want to blink into a group of enemies and immediately follow this up with a Waning Rift. If I don't shift-queue the Waning Rift quickly enough, the hero would actually start attacking the enemies around and wouldn't cast Waning Rift until all visible enemies are dead. This is because auto-attack actually queues the attack command before my Waning Rift enters the command queue. Is my understanding of this correct? If so, this must be a major reason why some people turn off auto attacks.

ElyrionX

DOTA 2 is missing just 3 features to be the ultimate game IMO (in order of importance):

1) Parity
2) Ranked matchmaking
3) Custom maps

Finish up those three and I honestly can't see myself playing very many other games for the next 10 years. #1 is coming along sluggishly (though we'll get there eventually), and no word on #2 or #3. Hopefully the next couple big updates give us something in these departments.

2 and 3, yes. But I seriously don't think parity is important at all. The game has more than a hundred heroes as it is. If they release a few new heroes every year and ignore the heroes from Dota 1 that have yet to make it into Dota 2, I honestly couldn't care less. And this is coming from someone who played a ton of Techies back in the Dota 1 days.

Trasher

Of course, I mean he's one of the first to attempt a ranking system since Valve crushed any hope of an elo based one with the whole dotabuff fiasco. I'm sure he's constantly refining the algorithm as he finds better ways to attempt to quantify skill amidst all the restrictions and private data. Like green biker dude said, you can't tell the difference between a 1500 and a 1600, or hell, probably even a 1200 and a 1600; but the system doesn't seem bad for general tiers. People are (generally) ranked around where you'd expect them to be, and something like DSR (granted when it stops getting changed so frequently) could be a nice temporary solution for people to be able track their progress on the legendary quest to escape the trench.

Also he could simply be hiding his formulas/method in order to protect it. Valve crushed DBR fairly quickly and if he was completely transparent with how he calculates DSR, Valve could attempt to find a way to quash that or throw a kink in there.

I mean all this DSR crap just reaffirms that people want a legit ranking system and it brings to the forefront, once again, something that DOTA 2 is sorely lacking. People are so desperate for some sort of rating that they'll flood some random dude's site without knowing jack shit about his methods/formulas, it speaks volumes that we're even having this debate and that DSR (an unknown ranking from an unknown author on a previously unknown site) has already blown up in just a few days time.

1) Parity
2) Ranked matchmaking
3) Custom maps

The problem with DotA is that there is no good way to quantify a rating. There are far too many factors and variables going on all at once. The one place where a rating does make sense is where it already exists in the game: TMM. At least in there you have a somewhat controlled sense of setup in having two teams actually working together. That isn't a given outside of TMM in normal MM. In regular MM you can have random mixed parties, people trying to teach their friends the game who are way below their skill level, people training on Meepo, people griefing their carries while playing support, and so on. There's no way to account for all the crap that goes on there.

The differences between TMM and regular MM are huge though. It's too bad that this is the state of the game, but the main issue is that the vast majority of players don't want to play in a TMM setting. Not only is it hard to even setup a team, but the pool of players to play against is too small for all of the different skill tiers. And I think that's what scares most of the lower skill-tiered players away from even giving TMM a shot. The TMM style of play is probably the best way to actually learn the game and get better though. Knowing how to actually play as a team is what most people are lacking in DotA. It is far too rare to actually find a good game in regular MM where you either A) don't have that selfish person/persons on your team that bitch and refuse to work with the team, or B) have someone on your team that virtually functions as cement shoes because they have no idea what's going on.

Anbokr isn't aware of these issues because he never tries to play with people below his skill tier. He only enjoys playing in try-hard 4-5 stacks where milkman carries his ass to victory.

xanavi

The problem for me with this DSR guy is the way he assumes Valve's rating at best gives them a 50:50 likelihood of predicting the winner of a match. When you queue for a game the search range increases the longer it takes, right? Doesn't that mean that as queue time increases the further away from a 50:50 match-up you could potentially end up?

1) Parity
2) Ranked matchmaking
3) Custom maps

As you said, 1 is coming. Who knows whether 2 will or not. But I'm fairly certain they've said 3 is definitely coming. It's valve so if it doesn't include custom map support it'd be really odd. Off the top of my head it would be their first game not to, and with it's history it'd be silly not to include it.

I'll look for a quote later, but it's definitely been found in strings before so we know it's coming.

Also:

0vH5pWc.png

shira

Fnatic and lgd.int dropped from gleague due to visas. Lgd also might fold.

New draw too since both teams were group B

manfestival

hollaaaaaaaaaa

so when is this winter event? I havent had time for video games for the past couple of days. too busy going out to clubs and etc

ksan

dbr was good

also, im pretty sure dsr fails in every single statistical assumption you need to make a good model, however the predicted scores seem to be more than 0% meaningful, so it's not awful in every regard

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The problem with DotA is that there is no good way to quantify a rating. There are far too many factors and variables going on all at once. The one place where a rating does make sense is where it already exists in the game: TMM. At least in there you have a somewhat controlled sense of setup in having two teams actually working together. That isn't a given outside of TMM in normal MM. In regular MM you can have random mixed parties, people trying to teach their friends the game who are way below their skill level, people training on Meepo, people griefing their carries while playing support, and so on. There's no way to account for all the crap that goes on there.

The differences between TMM and regular MM are huge though. It's too bad that this is the state of the game, but the main issue is that the vast majority of players don't want to play in a TMM setting. Not only is it hard to even setup a team, but the pool of players to play against is too small for all of the different skill tiers. And I think that's what scares most of the lower skill-tiered players away from even giving TMM a shot. The TMM style of play is probably the best way to actually learn the game and get better though. Knowing how to actually play as a team is what most people are lacking in DotA. It is far too rare to actually find a good game in regular MM where you either A) don't have that selfish person/persons on your team that bitch and refuse to work with the team, or B) have someone on your team that virtually functions as cement shoes because they have no idea what's going on.

Anbokr isn't aware of these issues because he never tries to play with people below his skill tier. He only enjoys playing in try-hard 4-5 stacks where milkman carries his ass to victory.

Preach it brotha!

Let's bring back Team Trasher and go into TMM.

ksan

tmm is actually good if you wanted to know valves mmr relative to other people
you just had to stack with 4 other people that you know are very close to you in skill

Pratfall

Found myself in the 1/2 position as Veno in a game last night. Laned with Ogre and just destroyed the Gyro/Centaur lane we faced. Realized when I looked down and had 2K gold that I had no idea how to build semi-carry veno (I play almost exclusively support). I ended up going helm of the dominator into butterfly, but I still felt mega squishy, there has to be a better way. Any ideas?

Ultrabum

tmm is actually good if you wanted to know valves mmr relative to other people
you just had to stack with 4 other people that you know are very close to you in skill

No one is close to me in skill. It's lonely at the top.

And no one can prove or refute that statement.

ultrabum you dont play this game anymore

Found myself in the 1/2 position as Veno in a game last night. Laned with Ogre and just destroyed the Gyro/Centaur lane we faced. Realized when I looked down and had 2K gold that I had no idea how to build semi-carry veno (I play almost exclusively support). I ended up going helm of the dominator into butterfly, but I still felt mega squishy, there has to be a better way. Any ideas?

Turn that helm into a satanic.

Also aghs gives you stats (and is amazing on him anyhow, if you're a veno that's getting farm rush it), and you could have gone drum I guess in the mid for a bit more tank.

Pratfall

ultrabum you dont play this game anymore

Turn that helm into a satanic.

Also aghs gives you stats (and is amazing on him anyhow, if you're a veno that's getting farm rush it), and you could have gone drum I guess in the mid for a bit more tank.

Cool, thanks. I considered aghs and then thought we needed a bit more right click and went butterfly. Now that I'm thinking about it, the stats and survivability from aghs would have helped us more probably. Also, whenever I got a 1-2 man gale into 4-5 man nova off, even if I died immediately after, we just crushed the teamfight so the Aghs would have helped there too.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
yeah okay pick the night with the live sound of music performance on tv

starring carrie underwood

only on nbc

No lie, Carrie Underwood's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I have to mute the intro to Sunday Night Football now or else my dick goes limp for one full U.S. week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom