• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they wanted to make a mode that would discourage farming, so they could give out some nicer stuff. They failed. Well, there is always next time, maybe they can tweak it some more before he pops up again.

It's just a perfect storm of issues.

- Make good, expensive rewards that everyone wants
- Make the boss and those rewards incredibly difficult to obtain
- People spend their time looking for exploits instead of enjoying the event.

At the core, the Ingot and Token system is probably to blame. It's just not fun to spend your ingots you earned over an entire week in one game where you die in 20 seconds to an insta-kill spell.

Having the mode only be in 24 hour increments didn't help either. Rather than try to enjoy the mode and goofing around, it added urgency to try and get the rewards. Wraith King was all fun and games until the last weekend and then the farmers rolled out and spent the weekend grinding rewards. Except now the entire event is that last weekend of the event, so the grinders all everywhere.

Pungza

The ingots should work by 500 or so let you play the game, all players are then given a set amount of gold to spend in game. At the moment people can join games with 0 ingots and offer nothing to the team as they cant buy items

F#A#Oo

Banned
There are lots of ways to make money without pissing off your players.

Like, Wraith Night had a Favor purchase system and no one complained about that because it didn't affect whether you could play the game mode.

Wraith Night wasn't a big grand event...

YotB Valve has rolled it out with a big push on their part.

It's also difficult to make an event+give awesome items but keep a tight grasp on things so the usual farmers and exploiters don't be the winners.

It's true that there is always someone smarter than you out there and Valve finds this out much to their dismay each and every event.

I wouldn't be too upset...I just wish Valve tried making these modes more fun and appealing from a gaming stand point.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My idea for a quick fix:
1) Reduce the game time to like 15 minutes, no one really wants to pound on him for 25 minutes straight.
2) Make his damage scale with duration. Does more damage 10 minutes in then at 1. Have him use the spells that disable or make it hard to hit him more though.
3) Find a way to salvage the Ingot system, if not just dump it. Let people go wild with items. alternatively, make more stupidly expensive and OP items if Valve wants to go all in with the Ingots. (Spend 15k and get the Divine Glass Sword, does 1000 damage, explodes on death), maybe even try and split the shop into having normal item and items bought with Ingots (But that sounds hard to implement on a whim)

My idea for a quick fix:
1) Reduce the game time to like 15 minutes, no one really wants to pound on him for 25 minutes straight.
2) Make his damage scale with duration. Does more damage 10 minutes in then at 1. Have him use the spells that disable or make it hard to hit him more though.
3) Find a way to salvage the Ingot system, if not just dump it. Let people go wild with items. alternatively, make more stupidly expensive and OP items if Valve wants to go all in with the Ingots. (Spend 15k and get the Divine Glass Sword, does 1000 damage, explodes on death), maybe even try and split the shop into having normal item and items bought with Ingots (But that sounds hard to implement on a whim)

They could copy Wraith Nights implementation and allow ingots to be converted into Jade Tokens and scrap the using them for money idea since it's garbage. And just put the whole ingot thing behind them.

My ideas
- Reduce the timer (as you said). I was thinking 10 minutes, but 15 works too.
- Remove the ingot for gold nonsense. Everyone starts with 999999 gold, Diretide Style
- Level everyone to 25, not 16
- Only give Jade token rewards for people with favors, everyone else gets ingots.
- Allow ingots to be exchanged for Jade tokens (at a rate of 5:1 or something)
- Reduce the difficulty of the beast a lot, or add easy/hard/super hard modes like Wraith Night.
- Limit the pool to 20 or so heroes, and balance them for this mode rather than trying to do a catch all system where some heroes are pointless and others have weird exceptions that make you waste your time if you pick them (like Ursa).
- Remove the 24 hour restriction, this is awful for people who work, which, coincidentally, are also the players with disposable income to spend on favors and hats.
- Remove the promo items from the Bloom chest. What on earth were they thinking!?

As it stands, Valve took the boring parts of Diretide (sugar rush) and the boring parts of Wraith Night (gem farming), multiplied their issues by 100 and put awkward pay for restrictions on the whole thing and made a mode that not many people like at all.

BraXzy

I think the problem they have had with this event is. People found exploits and got to see the promised land and then they realized people were getting an easy ride so patched it so the rest of us have no chance.

Either leave the exploit and at least then people have a tactic of sorts that everyone can attempt to do in the best way, at least there was strategy in regards to the perfect line up of 5 and the perfect timing of bombs/firecrackers etc.

Quesa

I have three bounties and can buy another. What are my chances of getting a redhoof out of these? Should I just sell two of them and buy it from the market?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looks like valve shipped a particle editor with the update, but it takes a bit of finagoling to get it to work

Yes. I opened mine and got an 87 cent windrunner bow #ive made a huge mistake.

I got an old Warlock Golem and the Onyx Grove True Form... I already had the latter and the former is so old and I have the Obsidian golem which is a million times better.

My friend got a Scythe of Vyse and Flowering Treants in a row from the same 2 rounds as me! Lucky devil

Manus

Is the Redhoof courier being a common a mistake? You would think something like being in the top 10% it would be a little rarer.

BraXzy

Is the Redhoof courier being a common a mistake? You would think something like being in the top 10% it would be a little rarer.

It will probably be updated to Mythical or something along with its actually model working. The Jade one will be Immortal/Legendary won't it?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
lol i stacked with 4 guys from giant bomb and we just spend all our money on mines, you see mines stun and do damage to the beast. Therefore we stun locked that bitch! We ended spending all our money but we made it to 20 million easy. Too bad i have no ingots to try again :( I bought the 3000 chest and it had the axe announcer which i already had so that sucks a lot.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Giving up on ever getting lucky finding an usual in a chest I dropped some money buying/socketing the only courier I'll ever need.

kfRMjA9.png

I think he's super cute! :3

manfestival

This mode doesn't feel like Player v Beast. It's more like Player v Valve in trying to find exploits before they fix them.

I don't know how they managed to make such a successful game mode with Wraith Night and then turn around and give us this :x

The beast is valve. We constantly come back for more, even knowing we cannot beat the beast. The endless cycle of losing our souls to gaben.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I got an old Warlock Golem and the Onyx Grove True Form... I already had the latter and the former is so old and I have the Obsidian golem which is a million times better.

My friend got a Scythe of Vyse and Flowering Treants in a row from the same 2 rounds as me! Lucky devil
Yeah, my friends got Red Hoofs, Battle Furrys, Puck Wings, other really nice things. I got two Lycan Eye Patches (First one, "Oh yeah, I always wanted one", then I got a second...), and the TA Mythical scarf I already had. At least I just flat out bought a Nyx Dagon, I'm happy with that. Opened up a fair bit of the 1500 boxes, I was surprised to find the Ashbringer sword I got had a Kinetic Gem, a normal Inscribed Gem for Dragon Form Kills, and an extra slot to boot. Now I have to also grab a hammer and redistribute some of the gems.

Also, a minor gripe, Gems that effect the loadout stance should have their own classification, there is nothing "kinetic" about striking a pose. Also, I want a gem that makes someone to strike a pose for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure now.

TxdoHawk

So based on past events, does anything usually happen to leftover event currency, or does it just blink out of existence and too bad, so sad? I'm sitting on something like 750 jade tokens, and wondering if I should bother getting a second booster to hit 1500 and collect something when my first runs out.

So based on past events, does anything usually happen to leftover event currency, or does it just blink out of existence and too bad, so sad? I'm sitting on something like 750 jade tokens, and wondering if I should bother getting a second booster to hit 1500 and collect something when my first runs out.

You have at least 1 more week left so don't fret.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It will just vanish, but Valve will announce ahead of time what the final date is to buy something with it. The event is going to stick around anther week or two at least, so don't worry about leftovers yet. Plus, there is a small 250 Jade Token gift now.

dorkimoe

Giving up on ever getting lucky finding an usual in a chest I dropped some money buying/socketing the only courier I'll ever need.

kfRMjA9.png

I think he's super cute! :3
I thought you couldn't add effects to couriers?! It won't let me put effect in my open socket?

Also the new mode is boring as hell. We did it once and got SSS rank and did like 10.5 million damage lasted full 25 min. Got a battle furry void weapon. Happy with it. But have no intentions of playing that mode again

EGM92

Do any of you have an extra Templar Assassin Charming Assassin Curls from this event that'd be interested in a Anti-Mage Hood Of the Clergy Ascetic (Frozen or Regular) or a Skywrath's Nightwatcher's Staff (Frozen or Regular)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I thought you couldn't add effects to couriers?! It won't let me put effect in my open socket?

You have to start with a courier that is already unusual and then any prismatic or ethereal gems you socket into it will overwrite the old ones.

LiQuid!

Do any of you have an extra Templar Assassin Charming Assassin Curls from this event that'd be interested in a Anti-Mage Hood Of the Clergy Ascetic (Frozen or Regular) or a Skywrath's Nightwatcher's Staff (Frozen or Regular)

I have an extra curls I don't need but I have both of those items you listed. Have anything from the Bloom Harvest (1500 jade) boxes to trade by chance?

ed: speaking of, I have 2 of the Nelum treants and a jade pudge hook that I would be willing to trade for anything from the Bloom Harvest boxes as well if anybody is interested.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Aww there was an exploit I didn't know about?

I just bought a fuckload of mines and got 7 million+ with 3 no-item dickheads on my team.

KingKong

I dont get it, whats the point of giving the top 10% a redhoof courier if its also droppable in the bloom harvest box? Is it a different rarity or an unusual or something?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I dont get it, whats the point of giving the top 10% a redhoof courier if its also droppable in the bloom harvest box? Is it a different rarity or an unusual or something?

Likely Valve will give it a special rarity (Maybe Genuine, or something new), but I guess they initially wanted it to be a reward, then saw people were mad, and figured it would make them less mad? I did see some people complaining that top 10% is unfeasible and they really rather just able to grind it...

Just a note, if you leave a practice match for Year Beast, it counts as an abandon (despite being practice and meaningless).

Yeah. But it being practice and year beast mode, you can literally just alt tab and do nothing if the group doesn't feel like letting the beast wipe them.

EGM92

I have an extra curls I don't need but I have both of those items you listed. Have anything from the Bloom Harvest (1500 jade) boxes to trade by chance?

ed: speaking of, I have 2 of the Nelum treants and a jade pudge hook that I would be willing to trade for anything from the Bloom Harvest boxes as well if anybody is interested.

I traded away my dupe Ashtongue :\ I have the Lycan Wolf form and the Sniper Rifle but I don't want to trade those :(

Also last night, myself and some Gaffers broke 30million dmg in YOTB mode. Could have done way more if stupid valve actually explained how ingots were going to be consumed / used. Hopefully we're part of that 10% (not likely) but we can hope!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In other news, MyDota2Skill.com® is now on version 2.0. Is your MMR clearly not Representative of your true skill? Then come to MyDota2Skill.com®, who will calculate your Dota2Skill® Skill Ranking™ with their patented "algorithms", now on a per game and hero bases.

For example, as I'm sure 1.09 can testify, this website indicates that Life Stealer is in fact my best hero.

Bento

So does 1 ingot = 1 gold against the Beast? Only have about 500 ingots atm.

Also, are there any recommended heroes when fighting against him?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Someone wake me when the various colors of hoof hit the market. Ain't got time for all this shenanigans.

Set your alarm for about 2 months from now.

1 Ingot is 40 gold. Not too sure who would be best, Life Stealer's Open Wounds is basically the only life steal spell in the game that can be used still.

RS4-

1 ingot : 40 gold

I don't know about the new lineup without the exploits. Warlock might still be on it because of bonds

injurai

Banned
Can we really not earn ingots anymore? The new game mode told me nothing but gave me money to spend. Well I spent it all in one game thinking it was like Dire Tide. Now it seems I'm fucked.

What happened to Wardfish? There's no more crafting with Year Beast pieces, so this kind of went away.

Also there's still a few items accepted on the workshop with no way of getting them (like Silencer's fan item)

RS4-

Can we really not earn ingots anymore? The new game mode told me nothing but gave me money to spend. Well I spent it all in one game thinking it was like Dire Tide. Now it seems I'm fucked.

I've been able to earn them in non beast games. You'll just have to grind again (or overpay on the market for like 150 ingots lol).

Ocho

Is there a site where I can browse the market with more filters, by type, etc? I want to see couriers from cheap to more expensive.

Quesa

I sold three bounties, got the dragon and redhoof couriers. Pretty satisfied with last night. Steve and Sixghost know what I mean.
or do they

manfestival

Don't forget the offerings. Those are supposed to be ingots.

isnt there a chance for something greater than ingots? mostly ingots with chances of gifts

also my friend convinced me to do a sell buyback(within allotted time strat) for maximum damage and it glitched and took all of my 2000 ingots RIP

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Redhoof is going to be so worthless, he comes out of like every 10 boxes, he drops in normal games since he is a common, he is going to be given to 10% of Beast Mode players, he is gonna be the new Greville in terms of rarity. At least he looks cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom