• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

Imagine working for hours on this Year Beast thing. Meetings discussing how it should work, developing the AI, modeling the animation, drawing the textures, creating an entire new map etc. They probably worked overtime, couldn't see their families, ate cold ramen out of a cup just to get this thing done. And then in like an hour a bunch of people break it, and then surf the internet as their hero automurders this boss and cash in their rewards for the rarest items in the game.

they shouldnt have made the prizes so freaking good then. Less incentive for it.

I totally got some awesome loot from it. I got the ashtongue AND crest of the wyrm. I have always wanted dragon knight gear but this is far better than I imagined lol

geetec

Neo Member
Goddamn it. Our team got greedy and we started playing some 'real' games to get some more gold in order to hit 10mil quicker.

Only went 3 round before the ninja patch went online. Could have doubled if not tripled that if we hadn't played those rounds.

BHK3

Banned
Visage is now magically fixed, tried similar methods with beastmaster hawk and lifestealer along with prophet, nothing worked. Oh well, oughta teach valve to make a pay2win boring ass game mode. Blow all money on fireworks/mines to do no damage then get 1 shotted by the beast? Wonder what the next exploit is gonna be.

sixghost

Imagine working for hours on this Year Beast thing. Meetings discussing how it should work, developing the AI, modeling the animation, drawing the textures, creating an entire new map etc. They probably worked overtime, couldn't see their families, ate cold ramen out of a cup just to get this thing done. And then in like an hour a bunch of people break it, and then surf the internet as their hero automurders this boss and cash in their rewards for the rarest items in the game.

Mr Forkball, did you, or did you not, take advantage of this so called Visage bug on February the 5th, 2014?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder what the next exploit is gonna be.

Hopefully it's one that removes the game mode forever. At least Wraith Night was actually playable/beatable.

Also I thought I had a glitch going. Accidentally forgot to pick my hero due to being distracted. Everyone died and left the game, but as soon as I picked my hero I attacked him and thought I was immune. Turns out I wasn't.

They introduce an invent for the purpose of the players getting items.

It doesn't even fun to play tbh.

BHK3

Banned

I would honestly like to see THEM play it then, show me how its meant to be played apparently without stun locks or AI bugs. You can't do a damn thing to the beast without just running around like headless chickens trying not to die horribly...

I also want an explanation for this redhoof courier stuff, why is the 10% reward suddenly the most common thing from the most expensive crate...you know what really sucks? My group had a method to beat 800 million, the game we started up we had a crash then BOOM ursa patched out. More top level russian hat barons now with top level jade couriers locked in...if they dont make the jade courier something craftable with the upcoming new chest.

docbon

now imagine being a player and witnessing this war crime of a mode

KevinRo

So much bitching and crying over a free to play game.

You had an entire week to earn free ingots to play in a free game mode.

OMG you didn't get the newest courier out of a billion fucking couriers. Get over it.

If you're really mad, go play the real game and stop crying about hat mode.

ViviOggi

OMG you didn't get the newest courier out of a billion fucking couriers. Get over it.

On top of that it's just a beta

shira

I would honestly like to see THEM play it then, show me how its meant to be played apparently without stun locks or AI bugs. You can't do a damn thing to the beast without just running around like headless chickens trying not to die horribly...

I also want an explanation for this redhoof courier stuff, why is the 10% reward suddenly the most common thing from the most expensive crate...you know what really sucks? My group had a method to beat 800 million, the game we started up we had a crash then BOOM ursa patched out. More top level russian hat barons now with top level jade couriers locked in...if they dont make the jade courier something craftable with the upcoming new chest.

On top of that it's just a beta

izuijmr55Kkx4.gif

+$100 on steam bucks. This mode is stupid as fuck

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. Let's accept Valves perfectly fair and reasonable game mode and give it no bad criticism because there's absolutely nothing wrong about it.

NBtoaster

I imagine the next time the beast rolls round (probably in a few days) it will have some more changes to the mode. The event will probably last until the end of the month, and it seems to have been a bit rushed (with the delay to the mode and the arcana), they have some time to make it better.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Well I give up. Plan summon hero army failed. Whoever made the rankings is an asshole.

We tried warlock + troll+ luna + drow + can't remember what 5th and made it to 1 million quite easily, we survived for a good 10 minutes

we had tons of stupid deaths to people 'standing in the fire' that are easy to avoid with some practice, learning his tells (like the roar+ headshake before his orbs or the tail waggle before the tail shockwave) will avoid that and have 3x higher dps uptime

He gets 3 new abilities after a certain amount of tilme or dmg:
-2 boulders that roll along the ground chasing 2 random heroes that stun you and do about 1000 dmg if they hit you, they also leave a trail of idk what behind them (didn't run through it to find out) , so it's like a wow boss where you gota play snake with the boulders at the edge of the map I assume

-his shout during the kunka stuns will now push every hero back in a straight line, this can push you directly into the kunka stuns, I forgot to check if force boots work while you are being pushed away (they better work else this will be a cheap rng way to die)

-tusks frost totems appear that need to be killed as they slow movement/attack speed in an aoe around them and will get you killed obviously

His devour attack can be stopped by a silence, it's best to not interupt it till the player is low as while he's eating someone you get free dps uptime on the boss

As for good heroes:
-warlock works well with ags and refresher because the golems shit on his tail and horn and are mostly immune to his attacks
-luna works well because glaives also crap on his horn/tail
-troll is extremely tanky as you can salve up during your spin which makes you dodge his swipes/tailspins,ranged axes are good to dps him safely during the kunka stun phase as well
-drow can interupt his devour (not sure if there's a better hero for this) and her high single target dps makes her good at taking out tusk totems/killing that horn

You want heroes that can kill his tail/horns fast as that means more stuns which means full dps uptime

with a good 5th hero to round it out it should be perfectly doable to fight him for the full 20 minutes (unless he gets even more extra abilities after a certain time)

You'll just need some consistent reliable 'wow raider kael thas/cthun hardcores (or w/e the current ability rehash boss is in that game) who know how to consistently not stand in the fire and interupt his devour/kill totems

The boss drops salves like candy (plenty of time to pick them up while he's spamming his orbs) so healing is not a problem as long as you know how to not stand in the fire, I had 30+ salves on me at the end of the 10 minutes
I would also not recommend going with heroes that spam a lot of garbage on the floor (macropyre or timber ult or dp ult) that will block your vision as then the kunka stuns are much more likely to get you
Since there is no aggro table, ghost sceptre seems like a must for warlock/luna/drow to survive him chasing you (and you can again salve up during )

That said, I hate the way valve handled this event with spending a limited amount of tokens you gathered over weeks to get a few shots at rewards for the boss
Is this really how you're going to play it valve? introduce some anxiety and frustration into your events by making people have a limited number of tries ? This is some browser f2p game kind of shenanigans

Acinixys

fucking hell

Just had a game where a 5 stack intentionally fed because they just want to ingot farm

lame as hell

Wasting 30 mins of my time for nothing

Shoyz

They really needed to put in a safety net. Something like 10k minimum gold (with ingots adding after that). It's not fun wasting all your week-long earned ingots in a couple of failed games and not being able to play anymore, and it's not fun being the person spending all your money with no-money leechers on your team. 'Free game entitlement' aside it doesn't make for a fun mode, really ill-conceived.

Can only pray for another exploit.

KevinRo

I agree. Let's accept Valves perfectly fair and reasonable game mode and give it no bad criticism because there's absolutely nothing wrong about it.

Yes. Accept it because it's a free alternative themed game mode that only results in HATS. Don't give them money or your time if you're not satisfied with it. Stop complaining.

----

Back to the Beast mode.

Rikki in ult is not targetable. You're welcome.

Wes

venison crêpe
I think at this point I'd rather just save my ingots for the next time it comes.

Yeah my thinking too. I was out last night when it was first released and everyone on my friends list did it.

I've done a few practices and it seems like a fun game mode surrounded by an appalling currency system and a seemingly very abusable rewarding mechanic. Poor show really.

dmshaposv

Damn ur U.S timings and damn having to go to work while everyone gets to win ez hats.

By the time im done from work, Ill have like 2-3 hrs to even try out the mode before its gone.

Yeah im surr itll be back, but I was certain the early bird exploits would be used and patched out before I even downloaded the patch on steam...

elyetis

As expected, didn't spend my night on the event game mod, so didn't exploit cheese tactics, so won't get any reward from it.

Seems like a constant with those event ( except maybe the first diretide ), you just won't get much if you are not a stack of 5 player, even less if you don't spend hours and hours the first day using things which will get patched then; except this time they even put the limited gold and 24h thingy as a way to make it even less casual.

Guess I should focus on ability draft, where it doesn't feel like playing a shity IOS F2P game.

/rant

shira

As expected, didn't spend my night on the event game mod, so didn't exploit cheese tactics, so won't get any reward from it.

Seems like a constant with those event ( except maybe the first diretide ), you just won't get much if you are not a stack of 5 player, even less if you don't spend hours and hours the first day using things which will get patched then; except this time they even put the limited gold and 24h thingy as a way to make it even less casual.

Guess I should focus on ability draft, where it doesn't feel like playing a shity IOS F2P game.

/rant

This is dota

translation: I want free money, but missed exploits last night

answer: wait till next exploit

Real translation: I was out of state and want Jade tokens so I can atleast get one damn bloom bounty and not throw away my ingots on solo queing this mode because people seem to be going in without strategies.

But hey, assume the worst right.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
The Beast game mode, doesn't look that interesting.

Just feels like
.cosmetic item grabs

Instead of
.actual fun

shira

Real translation: I was out of state and want Jade tokens so I can atleast get one damn bloom bounty and not throw away my ingots on solo queing this mode because people seem to be going in without strategies.

But hey, assume the worst right.

I think you missed the boat. All the goodies and the $5 legendary items happened last night.

The Beast game mode, doesn't look that interesting.

Just feels like
.cosmetic item grabs

Instead of
.actual fun

free money = fun

fucking hell

Just had a game where a 5 stack intentionally fed because they just want to ingot farm

lame as hell

Wasting 30 mins of my time for nothing

If that happened to me I would just ask my team to go afk farm in jungle for big items, not take towers and then fountain camp them for another 70 minutes until they abandon out

Wraith Night has been the most fun to me. Not having the competition with other players made sure not everyone wanted to cheese everything. They probably should just keep doing 5 v 5 event modes or something with a little special thrown in, that isn't about some raid boss where everybody has to compete for.

Forkball

Honestly I think this is the worst event Valve has done to date, hopefully they learn from the experience. It just screams cash grab to me

Come on, we got two new heroes, a fun new mode, some good balance changes, and a ton of cosmetic items that are really well made and share a consistent and unique theme. I do think the whole Year Beast battle is a bit underwhelming. I imagine most legit runs net you so little reward. I know they want to make it hard to get these items, but the battle isn't all that fun. I think the problem with these special event modes is that they're really just designed to be broken. You need specific heroes with specific items, there's not a lot of flexibility, so it results in people just trying to cheese it as much as possible.

elyetis

Come on, we got two new heroes, a fun new mode, some good balance changes, and a ton of cosmetic items that are really well made and share a consistent and unique theme.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.
I think the patch itself is the first really, really good one since everythings slowed down ( so about June last year ).
But the event itself has been increadibly bad, from the way gold work, to the ranking, to the way things get patched, and the cherry on the cake, the fact that it is an 24h event ( which will happen again I know, I know ), where the first 3-4 hours were close to impossible to play for many people ( me and 2 friends could only get the connection to work, for 3 game during that periode last night ( europe )).

F#A#Oo

Banned
There's too much money involved in Dota 2 and this event is Valves way of telling and showing us that they be making money hand over fist.

It's cool though as there are some nice items to be had...

There's too much money involved in Dota 2 and this event is Valves way of telling and showing us that they be making money hand over fist.

It's cool though as there are some nice items to be had...

There are lots of ways to make money without pissing off your players.

Like, Wraith Night had a Favor purchase system and no one complained about that because it didn't affect whether you could play the game mode.

This mode doesn't feel like Player v Beast. It's more like Player v Valve in trying to find exploits before they fix them.

I don't know how they managed to make such a successful game mode with Wraith Night and then turn around and give us this :x

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think they wanted to make a mode that would discourage farming, so they could give out some nicer stuff. They failed. Well, there is always next time, maybe they can tweak it some more before he pops up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom