• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

I've been losing so much lately that I've begun to just simply expect it every game, I'm even gonna make sure of it. Take my Broodmother game for example.

DOTA solo matchmaking (hell even small party matchmaking) is fucking stupid, but I will not stop playing it. I'm beginning to bring back that ol' new-to-HoN feeling I used to have where I just simply take others down with me. Feeding will get me reported, feigning stupidity won't.

Every game is the same shit teamwork, different broken strat employed by the other team. Say hello to overall 30-20% winrate in a month.

Sounds like you need to make sure you are in a nice big stack whenever you play for a while. No more solo-queue, got it? When you feel more comfortable you can go back to it. It may not make you play better but losing will be less shitty in a stack. But then everyone gives this advice every time someone is having matchmaking troubles so I dunno why I even mentioned it haha.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been losing so much lately that I've begun to just simply expect it every game, I'm even gonna make sure of it. Take my Broodmother game for example.

DOTA solo matchmaking (hell even small party matchmaking) is fucking stupid, but I will not stop playing it. I'm beginning to bring back that ol' new-to-HoN feeling I used to have where I just simply take others down with me. Feeding will get me reported, feigning stupidity won't.

Every game is the same shit teamwork, different broken strat employed by the other team. Say hello to overall 30-20% winrate in a month.
Pick strong independent snowbally heroes then.

Are you communicating with your team at all?

Chris R

No. Don't know anything about the game. Figured the OP would have something lol. Googling and youtube now.
Play the tutorial, completely. Once done you should be able to jump in no issues.

I did it and look at me now! 2.5k MMR!

edit: I don't understand the OP either though :( something about a SF mid duel or something?

shira

Where's the OP that actually explains the game?

This is like the 5th person. Why don't you switch back the OP milk/mods?

Milk so spiteful he wants no one else to get good at dota anymore

It's been a moth, that's like a year in e-sports time. And the OP was basic information/links that new people are coming in and getting frustrated and confused about, nothing about getting good.

How are you supposed to climb the MMR ladder in this game when the players you are grouped with are consistently terrible? I had a Death Prophet try and build 2 SnY's in a game. Why am I getting matched with these people?
You aren't.

Your MMR is tuned to your skill level over hundreds/thousands of hours. It can only go down unless you have actually improved comparatively to everyone else.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How are you supposed to climb the MMR ladder in this game when the players you are grouped with are consistently terrible? I had a Death Prophet try and build 2 SnY's in a game. Why am I getting matched with these people?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

You are roughly as terrible, you just don't realize it. There just happens to be a lot of people who are good at the mechanics and are really fucking bad at itemization.

You are roughly as terrible, you just don't realize it. There just happens to be a lot of people who are good at the mechanics and are really fucking bad at itemization.

It's even more complicated than that. People often pick heroes they're simply not all that competent with. Or, heroes they haven't played in awhile and are rusty...while the other team's key picks are common and/or comfortable picks for the other team.

You simply can't predict when a decent player will pick a hero they never really play. But usually if someone plays poorly and you check their dotabuff, lack of recent experience (or experience at all) with the hero they selected correlate strongly. Not every time, of course. Sometimes people have bad games with heroes they're good with...or sometimes they simply get outplayed by someone *better* at their choice than your teammate is good with their pick. Sometimes a snowballer like Huskar or Storm gets loose and can't be brought back under control with the team comp (ie, no CC).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

The Death Prophet in question was constantly casting silence on creep waves, which category does he fall under?

Madouu

The Death Prophet in question was constantly casting silence on creep waves, which category does he fall under?

Just focus on what you can change. If you are desperate to climb the mmr ladder, then pick your best heroes and make sure your team knows what you are picking early on. Take the initiative and make calls ingame. Even like this, you'll lose games because your teammates don't feel like trying or because you are against better players at the heroes they picked, but this will still produce better results than just complaining about some random that you will probably never meet again when you lose a match.

If even this fails, then stack. But that would probably mean the issue is deeper than just bad teammates.

Artanisix

alright alright i'll change it back

i can't quote or edit my old posts so i can't see the source, gonna piece it together real quick

lol shira got banned again?

Seance

Banned
The OP was like that before because while you might at first be fooled into thinking this is a thread for the community to discuss Dota, it really is just a farce. A construct for a select few to humor them on their private jokes inside of their exclusive clique.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The OP was like that before because while you might at first be fooled into thinking this is a thread for the community to discuss Dota, it really is just a farce. A construct for a select few to humor them on their private jokes inside of their exclusive clique.

you literally just described every single neogaf community thread

Artanisix

Dota gaf is honestly a lot closer than the other communities, especially if you involve yourself in things like inhouses and whatnot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think I need an entirely different motherboard, I'm getting Memory Corruption and BSODs even after ensuing the ram I'm using is good. And a new Mother Board means a new CPU, and I'm not going down the road of a mid-end cpu, since they can't run emulators well. So I guess I'm looking at like $300-$400 it think.

Haz, get online so you can tell me which parts are the good ones.

F!ReW!Re

QW invoker is so goddamn fun to play again...well outside of early lane phase..EMP is going to get nerfed... I can feel it

No doubt about it.
The mana drain is just too much, I jumped on a Invoker (as Ember) together with a Slark.
He tornadoes, emp's and deafening blast's us. Both of us are instantly out of mana and two of his team mates also walk in and we die horribly.
I had a full mana pool and it was brought down to zero by that single emp.

(Although I do love playing qw Invoker myself, that emp needs a nerf)

No doubt about it.
The mana drain is just too much, I jumped on a Invoker (as Ember) together with a Slark.
He tornadoes, emp's and deafening blast's us. Both of us are instantly out of mana and two of his team mates also walk in and we die horribly.
I had a full mana pool and it was brought down to zero by that single emp.

(Although I do love playing qw Invoker myself, that emp needs a nerf)

I think a nerf to the radius would be more appropriate. Right now, you can just toss it without really thinking about positioning. Plus a nerf to its radius falls more in line with the overall theme of the hero...

F!ReW!Re

I think a nerf to the radius would be more appropriate. Right now, you can just toss it without really thinking about positioning. Plus a nerf to its radius falls more in line with the overall theme of the hero...

Yeah but completely draining a mana pool seems a bit much though. (That gank scenario happened late game, so depleting the complete mana pull with 1 EMP is a bit too much imo)

Hylian7

Practicing my Invoker now on stream!

He's never really a hero I've been great at for some reason, which is surprising because I like mid heroes, and he's one of the core mid heroes out there. I'm doing it in unranked games.

F!ReW!Re

Practicing my Invoker now on stream!

He's never really a hero I've been great at for some reason, which is surprising because I like mid heroes, and he's one of the core mid heroes out there. I'm doing it in unranked games.

Have a look at the 2 or 3 Grimorum voker in-game guides.
He suggests starting with 1 in exort even when going for that quas/wex build.
Allows you to last hit better early game and you'll have access to more spells at an earlier level.

(might have even netted you the kill on that drow when mirana landed her arrow and the 2nd missed kill on drow with a sunstrike :p)

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Have a look at the 2 or 3 Grimorum voker in-game guides.
He suggests starting with 1 in exort even when going for that quas/wex build.
Allows you to last hit better early game and you'll have access to more spells at an earlier level.

Lvl1. Exort
Lvl2. Invoke

Wouldn't one lose a defensive spell at the start? as Cold Snap (even lvl 1 cold snap) helps a lot.

Lvl1. Exort
Lvl2. Invoke

Wouldn't one lose a defensive spell at the start? as Cold Snap (even lvl 1 cold snap) helps a lot.

Depends on who you're up against. You don't necessarily have to take invoke at level 2 if your opponent can't do anything to you early on. Plus, cold snap by itself at level 2 chances are won't net you a kill unless you have a teammate coming to gank with you.

F!ReW!Re

Lvl1. Exort
Lvl2. Invoke

He actually does:

lvl 1. Exort
lvl 2. Quas
lvl 3. Invoke

And tbh, how many times have you actually killed someone at level 2 with cold snap?
not to mention that the defensive utility is low at level 2 and I don't see a lot of enemies already able to dive and kill you at level 2.
If you're ganked by a support that cold snap is also not going to save you...
And having earlier access to Sunstrike (albeit lvl 1 dmg) , ice wall and defeaning blast is gonna broaden your options.

Edit*;
Here's the qw invoker grimorum guide;
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=221666376

Hylian7

Also shira got canned again, RIP in peace shira.

Thanks for the invoker tips above everyone. I'll try an early point in Exort next time.

F!ReW!Re

Also shira got canned again, RIP in peace shira.

Thanks for the invoker tips above everyone. I'll try an early point in Exort next time.

That 10 min midas on laning naix maxing feast and having no rage till lvl 3....
(I'm not a fan of midas on naix anyway)

F!ReW!Re

One more thing Hylian;
You just had 1 spell invoked till the 8 minute mark.
That basically limits you to 2 spells (one invoke when you engage) and after that you are fucked because of the invoke cooldown (last game you invoked cold snap at 8 minutes even when you already had it invoked basically screwing yourself with 1 spell and allowing them to gank you and bloodseeker mid. Icewall, tornado or deafening would've saved you there.)

F!ReW!Re

Midas is kinda nerfed with the current meta of DOTA.

Ohh there's still heroes where I consider it core (NP, invoker if you can get it early enough).
But I've never been a fan of running it on naix.
And yeah, it's changed from everyone's favorite snowball item (or support catch up item) to more of a situational pick.
Although a lot of people don't realize that now since I still see a lot of carries going for it (even with crap farm) and being absolutely useless at the 15-20 minute mark.

F!ReW!Re

I hate this game...

Unlucky dude, those teammates in these last 2 games, sigh...
And NP got counter picked hard. Don't let me even start about Bloodseeker.

But did you notice the earlier exort helping with the last hits?
Seems like you did have midas up faster than the first invoker game.

Hylian7

Unlucky dude, those teammates in these last 2 games, sigh...
And NP got counter picked hard. Don't let me even start about Bloodseeker.

But did you notice the earlier exort helping with the last hits?
Seems like you did have midas up faster than the first invoker game.

Yeah, the second one was the fastest though, 6:30.

Would Midas be better if it concentrated more on the xp part rather than gold? So a higher xp bonus and a lower gold bounty, but cheaper recipe overall. It'd maybe be more viable for level dependant heroes but not really for gold dependant late game heroes.

F!ReW!Re

Would Midas be better if it concentrated more on the xp part rather than gold? So a higher xp bonus and a lower gold bounty, but cheaper recipe overall. It'd maybe be more viable for level dependant heroes but not really for gold dependant late game heroes.

Whadda ya mean?
It already gives 2.5x the amount of xp on the creep you killed.
It's the reason why you get it on invoker since he's REALLY level dependent.
Buffing that XP gain even more would not be a good idea tbh.

Midas is fine atm imo.
It's not the go-to item any more it was 2 patches ago but still useful when bought on certain heroes or when you have early game free farm as a carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom