• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
Now after watching the User Generated Content talk by Valve, I feel they really should take their own advice for Dota 2, and just release their content creation tools as is to the community. Its clear people really want to make custom maps, game modes, heroes and balance patches, in the fact they are using custom and hacked together tools to do so already.

Aren't they going to allow custom maps?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
But..

what if...

now listen

What if we buff Brood so she can walk all over the map! It sounds cool, balanced, fits that she's a spider!i

What could possibly go wrong??

Yea, let's not use the community to balance...
What if we could put the runes in the river into a magic bottle?

Or if we had an item that could turn some of your hp into temporary mana?

Clearly those ideas suck and we shouldn't listen to the community.

Had one of those games last night that makes me remember why we all love this game so much.

My team was all carries basicly, luna, Chaos Night, Weaver, and I had already selected Abbadon, so I went hard support because someone needed to heh

We had like 4/6 of our racks before they even had a tier 2 tower down. This game was all but over. But everyone had good communication, stayed together for the most part. They had a sniper and natures prophet teleporting and shadow blading all over the place, and we managed to turtle long enough and win small team fights a little a time.

Eventually Luna picked up a Rapier and they went down middle to win it all while I held off the mega creeps coming for our ancient with Apothetic Shield!

But..

what if...

now listen

What if we buff Brood so she can walk all over the map! It sounds cool, balanced, fits that she's a spider!

What could possibly go wrong??

Yea, let's not use the community to balance...

I still dunno why she was nerfed in 6.80. Her winrate was still ass and she never made it into CM anyway.

SamVimes

What if we could put the runes in the river into a magic bottle?

Or if we had an item that could turn some of your hp into temporary mana?

Clearly those ideas suck and we shouldn't listen to the community.

A small dedicated community is pretty different from 150k morons that spam give diretide.

Low Tier
I still dunno why she was nerfed in 6.80. Her winrate was still ass and she never made it into CM anyway.

iunno. in ranked mmr that hero was legit winning 3 out of every 4 games someone picked her in. winrate on dotabuff means little to how strong a hero is.

Depends on the tier...I know a lot of you guys complained about ES pre 6.79 but at my tier, no one picked him. Out of the 50 games of all pick I played around that time, I think I saw ES like 3 times and maybe 1 out of 3, the person played him well. Maybe BM has the same effect.

Puck was designed by a community member.

I think people aren't separating groupthink from actual talent. There are some good suggestions thrown out all the time, I don't think great game design is something you learn from a book or university.

Just got my TB arcana, feels so gooood
What colour is the best colour?

I like bright green or white. I don't want to buy the arcana until they change the color system though, can't stand the thought of destroying the default gem. That and prismatic gem costs are absurd.

Karakand

Dailymotion is trash, just missed first blood in [A] vs. Σ because they threw up a full screen Best Buy advertisement during the game.

Forkball you bastard

I was watching Netflix in bed last night and right as I was nodding off I hear this strange noise that sounds like a mix between a ding and a watery plop. I sat up confused and realized it was a Steam message. I groggily get up and check my PC, and it's Forkball making an obscene remark about the qop of pain picture I posted in here yesterday. MFW:

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean.png

By the time I got back to my bed, my gf had spread out and was now hogging 75% of the bed space. So I had to wriggle in and sleep on my back, which meant I was snoring and woke up with a dry mouth.

It's all your fault

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Dailymotion is trash, just missed first blood in [A] vs. Σ because they threw up a full screen Best Buy advertisement during the game.

Still probably more entertaining than missing it due to the endless stream buffering!

As I'm still making my way through the dev days videos valve posted I got to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwv1G3WFSfI

Which is all about communication and games as services. I saw ned post a screen shot from it about cyborgmatt from it (and he mistakenly said it was from the arg video) but that part was fairly inconsequential.

It really talks about their learning process that started with tf2 and how they update and how they show updates (that 2, 3 day reveal stuff), blog posts, why you don't see random valve developers come and say 'yea this is coming' casually on reddit, community interaction and speculation, and yes, diretide. This one is also super interesting and stars everyone's favorite Australian Robin Walker. About 50 minutes long.

Completely missed that dev days post. Wow, I've got a ton to go through.
About half of them are pretty technical so unless you're really interested in debugging open gl and Linux it's smaller than you think.

Good ones in general:
controller
Music
Economies
VR
Communication

The arg one was kind of boring and so was the steam machine one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
About half of them are pretty technical so unless you're really interested in debugging open gl and Linux it's smaller than you think.

Good ones in general:
controller
Music
Economies
VR
Communication

The arg one was kind of boring and so was the steam machine one.

If you haven't, you should give the User Generated Content on a watch next, the actual talk is only the first 25 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRyUpR4qOxU

ARG was pretty dull sadly. I think I'm gonna watch Communication next.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looks like we are getting a non-valve tournament with 'fantasy leagues' soon, it seems Dreamleauge is going to incorporate the fantasy teams into their tournament (Which starts early March). I wonder if they are even going to give out small prizes for getting a high score like TI3.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Je m'excuse - je savais pas que c'etais toi qui a essayer de t'ajouter a mon liste d'ami. Le francais est mon deuxieme langue alors je peut dire que se n'est pas aussi fort que mon Anglais... mais c'est suffisant. Je joue beaucoup avec Anbokr et les autres GAFers et il est sur une autre niveau de terrible.

So I just caught up in this thread... Anbo KR - what are you doin bro. I'll try to play some in-houses tonight... and maybe be less salty about it.

it's ok freakinchair i still love you

cuz she was broken as hell? Wisp, batrider, LD, Morphling have never had good winrates, even in their prime. Dotabuff winrate is pretty useless for balancing unless a hero is crossing the 60% marker, it's usually just an indicator of how easy/hard a hero is to play effectively, and not an actual indicator of what's broken at the highest level of play.

KingKong

I really hate how there are 3 tournaments using 3 different streaming sites, for all the complaining people do about twitch at least its super easy to find a stream, watch it in a nice window and have the vod right away

ksan

link to this axe game pls

seems like dailymotion doesn't auto-upload games right away, so you'll probably have to wait for the youtube vods
I really hate how there are 3 tournaments using 3 different streaming sites, for all the complaining people do about twitch at least its super easy to find a stream, watch it in a nice window and have the vod right away

and it's so easy to set up livestreamer, zero lag or browser crashes due to flash in vlc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom