• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Interesting, I'm getting ads for strife on my phone (it is apparently a second generation moba), isn't it a bit early for ads, I thought that the game was still dev only.
I'm really unsure for it's future, you can pay to unlock rare item crafting chances and that really doesn't sit well with me.

The more hours / money you put in you can also craft your own item recipes which sounds like disaster and your pets level up as well.

It's a more DOTA LoL since a lot of the items are strong and have actives / movement (ForceStaff boots, BoT, etc)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I remembered that I need to check on other inventory more (mainly for TP) since I'm ganking now. Also need to control mid more.

I've mainly been focused on harassing with quick bottle and having absolute rune control.

G.ZZZ

it used to be the way you're describing and it was changed because people abused it. deal with it

Abused it how? I don't understand. You get in a game, leave before picks, get low prio, all the other players in the game just lost 10 mins of their life. What are you abusing? The patience of other people?

Arkanius

Guys, I keep having problems playing Kunkka.
After laning phase and after getting Phase + Shadowblade + Crystallis, I feel I drop off from the game so much. I should be doing loads of damage but I'm not, and I feel something is missing from my playstyle. I try to land boats + torrent + shadow blade and tidebringer, but I'm so squishy that if the enemy team uses dusts and focus on me I do shit.

If I try to farm to buy better items (Heart, AC, etc) I usually get ganked so hard it's not even funny.

I don't have problem farming with other heroes, but for some reason it goes absolutely horrid with Kunkka, every time.

The fuck am I doing wrong?

Artanisix

i am so good at slaughtering gaf stacks

After laning phase and after getting Phase + Shadowblade + Crystallis, I feel I drop off from the game so much. I should be doing loads of damage but I'm not, and I feel something is missing from my playstyle. I try to land boats + torrent + shadow blade and tidebringer, but I'm so squishy that if the enemy team uses dusts and focus on me I do shit.

If I try to farm to buy better items (Heart, AC, etc) I usually get ganked so hard it's not even funny.

I don't have problem farming with other heroes, but for some reason it goes absolutely horrid with Kunkka, every time.

What lane do you play the Konkoa?

Bendt

Neo Member

You can play him two ways after the laning phase brakes down:
1. Ganker - start roaming and looking for easy kills from the fog. If you can reliably land the boat torrent combo you should be able to kill most solo heroes.
2. Pusher - push the lanes with tidebringer. He isn't that great at taking down the tower once the lane is pushed but you can easily flash farm the lane and if you have shadow blade you should be able to get away.

Lastly make sure you show up to every team fight since landing torrent boat could wipe the enemy team. Also early on he is very squishy so don't play him like a STR carry. Land your combos from the edges of the fight and try and get everyone with the tidebringer.

On a terrible streak and now under 50% win ratio. My only wins seem to come from early abandonment. I'm doing decent in the calibration matches but keep losing these long close matches.

gogosox8

Well just had my first loss (I've only played 3 games). Is d/c'ing a common thing in dota? Thought we did ok considering I had to try and communicate with two players who didn't speak english. We lost but I don't think we got totally crushed ( I went 4/5/6 with cm. That's probably the best I've done so far)

ElyrionX

Played a ranked solo game yesterday. Enemy team had PL, Brood, Lycan and BM. I took BH as a counterpick. The other team then last picks Weaver. Of course, we smashed the shit out of them.

#woodtierdoto

ElyrionX

Well just had my first loss (I've only played 3 games). Is d/c'ing a common thing in dota? Thought we did ok considering I had to try and communicate with two players who didn't speak english. We lost but I don't think we got totally crushed ( I went 4/5/6 with cm. That's probably the best I've done so far)

DCs leading to abandons get relatively rare the higher you climb. DCs leading to reconnects will likely remain relatively common throughout.

inkls

just had a game as TA went 25/7. We did good up until rosh were I failed to pickup the aegis and got killed, we threw so hard we ended up losing :/

match id: 446305534

the good part though was how most of them failed to see meld and got me a few free kills. Damm sladar was smart and ulted me every chance he got.

would appreciate tips if anyone has any

I played Nyx before and just missed out on buying E-Blade after buying Blink + Dagon 5.

I had the money for Eaglesong and everything.

M.D

I like Lone Druid a lot, but every game I play with him, even if I have a ton of farm, I keep feeling weak and that I can't do much in team fights.

I played this game yesterday with a bunch of cool gaffers

http://dotabuff.com/matches/445854590

Went mid against WD, he couldn't do much and I had good farm, no one came to gank me and I got Radiance at 18-19 minutes

As far as other items, I got Vlads cause I felt the aura and stats would be nice, and had a bunch of gold leftover so I got another basher on me as well

In most team fights I tried to keep my self out and let the bear do the work, but I don't feel like I did enough damage even with all those items.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just played a game where 4/5 people on the other team had Shadow Blade. What is the Trech, DotaGAF?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't tell if I just really suck with Invoker, or have bad luck. I'm just going to go with that I really suck with Invoker, and my Midas "rush" is likely just detrimental. At least I have a better idea of how to play Tinker, you just blind the enemy every wave like an ass so he can't last hit.

ElyrionX

I can't tell if I just really suck with Invoker, or have bad luck. I'm just going to go with that I really suck with Invoker, and my Midas "rush" is likely just detrimental. At least I have a better idea of how play to Tinker, you just blind the enemy every few seconds like an ass so he can't last hit.

I have tried out Midas on Invoker and it's hard to form a strong opinion on it. But I see that it is bought in many pro games and that is something that I base most of my item builds on. It's also the same reason why I have stopped buy Eul on him and instead go straight for hex after Force Staff and before Aghs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
See, getting Midas makes a lot of since to me, Invoker really needs levels to function well in a team fight. But then you are sort of pigeonholed into staying mid, and not helping other lanes, since you need anther 5 minuets to get the items you skipped to get the midas. This may not be so bad if I could get Midas at like 5 or 6 minutes, but my timing tends to be closer to 9 minuets and up, and I have had many games it can take a solid 15 minutes to actually get a midas, and I am wondering if I just wasted my time.

Any of you have advice for last hitting in general, or a good way to practice?

Kreunt

Banned
See, getting Midas makes a lot of since to me, Invoker really needs levels to function well in a team fight. But then you are sort of pigeonholed into staying mid, and not helping other lanes, since you need anther 5 minuets to get the items you skipped to get the midas. This may not be so bad if I could get Midas at like 5 or 6 minutes, but my timing tends to be closer to 9 minuets and up, and I have had many games it can take a solid 15 minutes to actually get a midas, and I am wondering if I just wasted my time.

Any of you have advice for last hitting in general, or a good way to practice?

yeah i think with invoker you kinda need to stick to the old midas rule of get it fast or don't bother.

ElyrionX

yeah i think with invoker you kinda need to stick to the old midas rule of get it fast or don't bother.

Actually I have to disagree with this. The concept behind this is that getting it early gives you more time to breakeven on the gold cost of the item and to also have a more meaningful impact on the midgame. However, unlike most heroes, Invoker buys Midas more for the 2.5x exp it provides than for the 190 gold. He is a lot more level-dependent than item-dependent and hence it really doesn't matter when you buy it. The exp bonus will always matter and delaying his items is not a big deal as long as you are grinding out the levels.

Nymerio

I just played a game where 4/5 people on the other team had Shadow Blade. What is the Trech, DotaGAF?

Tell me about it... I've played with a wisp who bought urn as a first item, refused to buy courier or upgrade or buy wards and when I asked him to heal me, he ported me back to base instead of tethering and urning. But then again this wisp managed to solo kill the enemy's furion. That was a trenchlord duell of awkwardness.

Kreunt

Banned
Actually I have to disagree with this. The concept behind this is that getting it early gives you more time to breakeven on the gold cost of the item and to also have a more meaningful impact on the midgame. However, unlike most heroes, Invoker buys Midas more for the 2.5x exp it provides than for the 190 gold. He is a lot more level-dependent than item-dependent and hence it really doesn't matter when you buy it. The exp bonus will always matter and delaying his items is not a big deal as long as you are grinding out the levels.

the problem is that if you're taking forever just to get your midas up and running and then still need to get other items to be useful, you're potentially negating the bonus exp/gold by missing out on other sources.

ElyrionX

the problem is that if you're taking forever just to get your midas up and running and then still need to get other items to be useful, you're potentially negating the bonus exp/gold by missing out on other sources.

My point is that he doesn't need any item to be useful. He is so versatile and his spells are so strong that as long as you have the levels, you will be useful in team fights regardless of your items.

I have a strange issue with dota2. If I leave it on the same screen for a while it minimises to the desktop and I can't get it to show again. I can still hear the sound though.

If I move through different screenst seems to make it into a game. That runs fine. Then at the end seems to crash like explained earlier.

It's strange. Any known fix? I'm using gtx765m. Tried turning off AA and switching some thing in comparability mode. The problem basically stayed the same after the comparability mode change except the screen would go black for a bit before going to desktop

sixghost

I like Lone Druid a lot, but every game I play with him, even if I have a ton of farm, I keep feeling weak and that I can't do much in team fights.

I played this game yesterday with a bunch of cool gaffers

http://dotabuff.com/matches/445854590

Went mid against WD, he couldn't do much and I had good farm, no one came to gank me and I got Radiance at 18-19 minutes

As far as other items, I got Vlads cause I felt the aura and stats would be nice, and had a bunch of gold leftover so I got another basher on me as well

In most team fights I tried to keep my self out and let the bear do the work, but I don't feel like I did enough damage even with all those items.
Those items seem good for the most part. Did you guys push to end the game around 25 or 30 minutes? LD has his peak once you get radiance, then again when you get AC. The longer the game goes, the weaker LD gets since the bear can be focused down really quickly when everyone is really farmed.

dw i crushed his dick into a small meat cube in the next game after that one
smb.jpeg

?

ReRixo

Banned
I still don't get mmr

or maybe there is just nothing to 'get' since it's shit

I have two accounts, one mmr is 2600 and the other is 3300. My performances are always similar, but my 2600 account is the one I used to learn dota with (first moba), so I guess on average that one is worse? who knows

this mmr system is trash, there's so much data outputted by the game and the lazy ass devs decided to implement a system based on wins/losses

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
this mmr system is trash, there's so much data outputted by the game and the lazy ass devs decided to implement a system based on wins/losses

So like every other MMR system? If you try and make a system that factors into actual performance in-game then you'll people will try and reverse engineer it and then just work out the optimal way to play for MMR.

ReRixo

Banned
So like every other MMR system?

it's a system designed for 1v1 games. It doesn't translate to team games.

the community kept asking for a mmr system, and valve saw a decline in player activity so they spent 5 minutes putting together this piece of shit solution while they focus their efforts on hats or whatever brings in the most money these days (not semi competitive players)

M.D

Those items seem good for the most part. Did you guys push to end the game around 25 or 30 minutes? LD has his peak once you get radiance, then again when you get AC. The longer the game goes, the weaker LD gets since the bear can be focused down really quickly when everyone is really farmed.

Looking at the time, game took 1:02:01
No idea why lol..

I think I took down mid (and possibly top as well) even before getting my Radiance, so we did push some towers early, but I don't think we tried to finish ASAP

I remember Riki having a really good time as well, but maybe Legion Commander took more time to get online? not sure tho

That Jugg was getting farmed as hell and got a Rapier, shit was scary

Is there any way to make yourself viable in team fights if a game goes super late like this one did? Something like Butterfly?

NBtoaster

I still don't get mmr

or maybe there is just nothing to 'get' since it's shit

I have two accounts, one mmr is 2600 and the other is 3300. My performances are always similar, but my 2600 account is the one I used to learn dota with (first moba), so I guess on average that one is worse? who knows

It's an elo-based system, they work based on wins and losses and the difference between players. Win versus players rated higher than you/your team and earn more points, lose versus players worse than you and lose more points.

Though the matchmaking will mostly try to have equal skill players in games so you are unlikely to earn or lose many points in one game unless parties introduce some huge disparity in skill.

it's a system designed for 1v1 games. It doesn't translate to team games.

the community kept asking for a mmr system, and valve saw a decline in player activity so they spent 5 minutes putting together this piece of shit solution while they focus their efforts on hats or whatever brings in the most money these days (not semi competitive players)

The game has always had an MMR system, it was just not visible. The new ranked was in response to people trying to make their own systems to rank players.

The ranked and unranked MMR work and have always worked, similarly skilled players do end up together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom