• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

Trasher

I should be able to raise my MMR playing solo. Hence the solo MMR and the party MMR.

Yeah, theoretically you should be able to, but my point is it's easier to win games when you have other people to coordinate with.

In my opinion they should just make solo players only play with other solo players. Solo Q is so dumb when you get matched up against stacks. If you're going to implement two different MMRs, then why not keep them separate as well?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What are some guidelines to leveling up Storm Early? I maxed remnant first last game, then overload and then maxed vortex, but I didn't feel useful until I was like level 14. Also I really suck on last hitting as storm, slightly more then other mids. I swear I have not actually "won" mid once this year.

Chris R

Yeah, theoretically you should be able to, but my point is it's easier to win games when you have other people to coordinate with.

In my opinion they should just make solo players only play with other solo players. Solo Q is so dumb when you get matched up against stacks. If you're going to implement two different MMRs, then why not keep them separate as well?

I don't mind the stacks, I mind the people who queue USW/USE that don't speak/understand a lick of English :( Always on my team, never on the other it seems like.

Not saying they are bad players, but it is impossible to communicate clearly to setup plays when they don't speak the language of the server they are on.

Trasher

I don't mind the stacks, I mind the people who queue USW/USE that don't speak/understand a lick of English :( Always on my team, never on the other it seems like.

Not saying they are bad players, but it is impossible to communicate clearly to setup plays when they don't speak the language of the server they are on.

Definitely one of the most frustrating things that can happen. I just don't think there's a good way to regulate it even with language options as they've done. People will always play where they want to play. =/

What are some guidelines to leveling up Storm Early? I mixed remnant first last game, then overload and then maxed vortex, but I didn't feel useful until I was like level 14. Also I really suck on last hitting as storm, slightly more then other mids. I swear I have no actually "won" mid once this year.

I think you only need one point in remnant early. 3 points in vortex ensures that they are pulled into your remnant. But you get most of your damage from overload so it should be maxed first.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1-1-3: Heavy damage. Going for early aggression and harass. Good against squishy targets that can't escape easily. You can Overload an attack while its in the air (start attack, then remnant), so it's useful for surprise damage.
1-3-1: Lockdown. The damage output of this build isn't so great but you get a much more reliable stun. Works well when you have a partner coming to gank, or if your target can get away easily if they're not shut down such as QoP.
3-1-1: Clowny ass EE build, focused on flash farming with Remnant damage.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
What are some guidelines to leveling up Storm Early? I maxed remnant first last game, then overload and then maxed vortex, but I didn't feel useful until I was like level 14. Also I really suck on last hitting as storm, slightly more then other mids. I swear I have not actually "won" mid once this year.

1-3-1: 99% of the time

1-2-2: You have an available skill point, your stun is on cooldown, and you are currently trying to slay

(3-1-1: You afk farm a lane)

Then you max overload and remnant, leaving the final point in stun for last.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So I did the EE build, great. At least EE's cheeky teleport move is useful. Used it twice, along with denying my self to neutrals twice, enemies likely were mad.

Also, I held off on the 2nd level of my ult until 14, because I was really being crushed in the early and mid game (I as like 2/6 working on a Drum). I feel that actually helped a good amount.

Haly

You don't go Drum on Storm.

Treads -> Orchid -> Bloodstone/Scythe

BKB if you need it.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
So I did the EE build, great. At least EE's cheeky teleport move is useful. Used it twice, along with denying my self to neutrals twice, enemies likely were mad.

Also, I held off on the 2nd level of my ult until 14, because I was really being crushed in the early and mid game (I as like 2/6 working on a Drum). I feel that actually helped a good amount.

Dunno about holding off on ulti, that speed is so good. And yeah, don't ever buy drum on storm. He needs core items too badly to waste any time.

Any tips for Gyro? Played him today and felt sort of lost. How should I use my skills in a fight? What's the reasoning behind the popular item builds? Why is MKB mentioned so much for gyro?

Trasher

1-1-3: Heavy damage. Going for early aggression and harass. Good against squishy targets that can't escape easily. You can Overload an attack while its in the air (start attack, then remnant), so it's useful for surprise damage.
1-3-1: Lockdown. The damage output of this build isn't so great but you get a much more reliable stun. Works well when you have a partner coming to gank, or if your target can get away easily if they're not shut down such as QoP.
3-1-1: Clowny ass EE build, focused on flash farming with Remnant damage.

So is treads the best? I feel like I always used to see pros stream and pick up mana boots ---> build into a fast Bloodstone ---> then make treads. Obviously this is only if you rush a Bloodstone, but I generally like playing Orchid Storm anyhow. Not sure if there's a time that actually calls for that other build ever. Maybe if your team is starved for mana boots?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You don't go Drum on Storm.

Treads -> Orchid -> Bloodstone/Scythe

BKB if you need it.

Hey hey, I don't play "Go Big or Go Home" when I'm down and out, I pull out desperation tactics and try and stall. Drums is still +9 with cheap build up, and that active is damn good at helping me flee for my life. While Orchid has a fairly easy build up, its not going to stop me from being busted down.

BKB may have been good, but I'm going to be honest and even getting 875 gold for the Drum Recipe was fucking hard. I had my Robe of the Magi stuck in the Stash for a while. SK pulled a lot of work and helped deny basically every rune from Tinker, and Sven was able to find plently of farm. The wisp was super silly, he just spammed his ult constantly.

In the end I did well, Money came pouring in after, Orchid was finished quickly, and I ended up grabbing a 45ish minute bloodstone.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/579621092

Haly

Bloodstone is very poor on him, because it doesn't really provide any damage whatsoever which is what he needs most of all during 1-11. It is good, however, at snowballing so if you have an amazing start or something you could Bloodstone but Orchid's is generally safer.

EDIT: You're supposed to kill them before they kill you!

Madouu

Well he pretty much carried the early-mid game with VS, warded lycan's jungle then ganked mid at lvl1, put insane amount of pressure on mid/enemy safe lane afterwards while warding and dewarding most enemy wards. He probably bought 30 sentries or so to counter shadow blade slark, invoker and potm ganks. His carries didn't seem particularly great but his team made so much space for SF mid and protected faceless void enough in the mid game that they ultimately carried the game in the end.

So yeah you can have a huge impact on the game if you play super active as a support and read the game well to know what you are supposed to do depending on your picks vs enemy picks.

i need to practice brew

i think hes op by numbers alone with aghs

i mean look at that attack speed, miss chance, and move speed slows wtf

gotta practice micheal skillz to prove it

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bloodstone is very poor on him, because it doesn't really provide any damage whatsoever which is what he needs most of all during 1-11. It is good, however, at snowballing so if you have an amazing start or something you could Bloodstone but Orchid's is generally safer.

EDIT: You're supposed to kill them before they kill you!

Look, I have not played Storm in over two years, I don't know how this guy works. It was RD, and I just remembered 109 said storm = ez win so I picked him. It took me time to figure out how to make damage.

Also, I'm sad Tinker curb stomped me. I thought it would have been a more fair match up. I bet that guy actually played Tinker in the last year to boot.

Haly

Last hitting on Storm is suffering yes.

Here, check out my sicknasty Storm: 578266004

Acinixys

Any tips for Gyro? Played him today and felt sort of lost.

1.How should I use my skills in a fight?
2.What's the reasoning behind the popular item builds?
3.Why is MKB mentioned so much for gyro?

Ok ill try this out

1.Ult to initiate when they bunch up
Use missile on a fleeing enemy/their carry if he has no BKB
Rocket Barrage if youre 1v1 because it does broken ammounts of damage
Stand back and Falk Cannon for massive AOE damage

2. Gyro needs survivability and damage. Flak Cannon is one of the strongest late game abilities if you have enough farm, because you can do 1000+ damage to every enemy in 5 attacks. This is why you see Helm of the Dominator + MKB/Rapier on Gyro

3. MKB is easily one of the best items for Gyro. As I said before, his Flak Cannon is his bread and butter.

Flak Cannon lets 6 of your attacks hit every enemy in a 1000 radius

So even if you are attacking an enemy in front of you, everything next to and behind you will still take damage. MKB is one of the highest damage items in the game, and Gyro needs damage to do anything if note

Lastly, never ever buy Shadow Blade on Gyro. It just delays your damage items. Aghs is SUPER situational as well, as its only good for spamming your ult to push the lanes

SamVimes

what your post amounts to, haly, is: the problem lies with the ranking, not the game balance. that's ok. it has to be one or the other though.

also, even though i understand there's a history behind how the game got here, what matters is the present, not what happened when dota was a wc3 mod people played on 56k. i mean, as long as people realize this isn't ok and needs to be fixed, it's a start. accepting something faulty because it was "always like that" is not something i can agree with, however

either way, i don't really see how this can be debatable. if 2/5 positions aren't viable for climbing the ladder, then something is wrong, like i said, with either the game itself or the system used to grade the players. whatever historical reasons behind this are irrelevant to me because i'm playing this game today

edit: assuming people playing 4/5 can't climb. which is the premise here. it's possible he could do it with position 5 heroes too. who knows. i've seen that opinion posted often though. and even professional players have expressed it in the past

They can't climb as well on a smurf which is completely different. Taking into account 5vs5 where everyone has played at least 100 matches and has similar ranking it's obvious that if your support play is better than the opponent's you have an higher chance of winning.

Ok ill try this out

1.Ult to initiate when they bunch up
Use missile on a fleeing enemy/their carry if he has no BKB
Rocket Barrage if youre 1v1 because it does broken ammounts of damage
Stand back and Falk Cannon for massive AOE damage

2. Gyro needs survivability and damage. Flak Cannon is one of the strongest late game abilities if you have enough farm, because you can do 1000+ damage to every enemy in 5 attacks. This is why you see Helm of the Dominator + MKB/Rapier on Gyro

3. MKB is easily one of the best items for Gyro. As I said before, his Flak Cannon is his bread and butter.

Flak Cannon lets 6 of your attacks hit every enemy in a 1000 radius

So even if you are attacking an enemy in front of you, everything next to and behind you will still take damage. MKB is one of the highest damage items in the game, and Gyro needs damage to do anything if note

Lastly, never ever buy Shadow Blade on Gyro. It just delays your damage items. Aghs is SUPER situational as well, as its only good for spamming your ult to push the lanes

So my goal is to get damage because flak cannon is so good, and enough survivability to make sure I get to sit and right-click for as long as possible? I thought MKB was primarily a counter to evasion from butterfly/PA/Void, not a damage item, the more you know I guess.

How should the laning phase go? I supposed leveling flak cannon early if I'm not mid might not be a good idea because it'll push the lane. Also, I'm having a hard time using the missile outside of forcing people away so I can farm more, and without a stun or slow before 6 I guess I'll need a disabler to kill someone with the barrage.

Hylian7

Well he's gotta learn somehow, a few bot games won't teach you anything. You're gonna have to go offlane and feed cause its youre first time but damn it you will LEARN

Bot games don't teach you anything beyond the basics or the mechanics of heroes. Anything beyond that you have to play against humans to understand.

Radec

Man TB is squishy as shit early

That's why you put him in a safe lane and let your support use a stun or disable a hero and just tear shit up while in Meta. He deals the most attack damage of any hero in the game early on.

Easy kill at lvl 2 as well using his Q.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That's why you put him in a safe lane and let your support use a stun or disable a hero and just tear shit up while in Meta. He deals the most attack damage of any hero in the game early on.

Easy kill at lvl 2 as well using his Q.
It was vs Slardar Veno so it wasn't as easy :[
For some reason my brain was mostly off that match until we were already losing by a ton.

patapuf

Isn't the main reason you get MKB over daedalus on Gyro that the true shot works for all flak shots (and thus being great for attacking the base) vs the crit only working on the "main" attack?

Also you still get higher damage per bullet with an mkb.

SamVimes

Isn't the main reason you get MKB over daedalus on Gyro that the true shot works for all flak shots (and thus being great for attacking the base) vs the crit only working on the "main" attack?

Whoops, i actually read that as mkb in general, not on Gyro which makes a lot more sense. Still worth noting that for some reason (wc3) truestrike doesn't work on buildings so even if you have mkb you're gonna miss some attacks on the t3s from the low ground.

ksan

Also you still get higher damage per bullet with an mkb.
Whoops, i actually read that as mkb in general, not on Gyro which makes a lot more sense. Still worth noting that for some reason (wc3) truestrike doesn't work on buildings so even if you have mkb you're gonna miss some attacks on the t3s from the low ground.

Damn, these inconsistencies and changes make me dizzy.
Apparently evasion works against flak cannon aoe bullets in dota 2, therefore MKB is a good choice against evasion as you can't just shoot at another target like in dota 1.

And I know that MKB used to work against buildings in dota 2, but I thought they changed that?

G.ZZZ

Damn, these inconsistencies and changes make me dizzy.
Apparently evasion works against flak cannon aoe bullets in dota 2, therefore MKB is a good choice against evasion as you can't just shoot at another target like in dota 1.

And I know that MKB used to work against buildings in dota 2, but I thought they changed that?

Yeah it used to but they changed it. Before it was really good for uphill pushing.

Top Bottom