• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT4| The saga of Vade and ReRixo: the Boat Anchors continues.

inkls

Can anyone watch this game and tell me what I could have done better?

http://dotabuff.com/matches/579306943

Had a pretty rough start, was with nature's prophet safelane and he kept taking last hits (I wasn't very good at getting them either) until he got to a certain level, then he just went in the jungle and left me alone against slark and venge.

Top managed to feed hard. I was the only one who bought detection against a mirana and a shadow blade viper.

We almost had a comeback, took down two rax on the dire team. I told my team to finish it, but Np and someone else decided they wanted the bot rax.

I did a couple of mistakes ofc, rushed in fights where they outnumbered us for example.

After the game, turns out silencer, dk and disruptor all were in their calibration games :/

Can anyone watch this game and tell me what I could have done better?

http://dotabuff.com/matches/579306943

Had a pretty rough start, was with nature's prophet safelane and he kept taking last hits (I wasn't very good at getting them either) until he got to a certain level, then he just went in the jungle and left me alone against slark and venge.

Top managed to feed hard. I was the only one who bought detection against a mirana and a shadow blade viper.

We almost had a comeback, took down two rax on the dire team. I told my team to finish it, but Np and someone else decided they wanted the bot rax.

I did a couple of mistakes ofc, rushed in fights where they outnumbered us for example.

After the game, turns out silencer, dk and disruptor all were in their calibration games :/
You win some, you lose some. Your winrate is still really good and nothing to get upset about. Sometimes, you get garbage team mates that'll screw you over. The NP sapped XP in your lane and fucked off then, leaving you on level parity against two heroes as opposed to being one or two levels ahead. That is pretty bad.

Wraith King is fun. Wraith King with the Wraith Lord set is more fun. I hope the guy that did the Dreadknight set does something with that as well.

inkls

You win some, you lose some. Your winrate is still really good and nothing to get upset about. Sometimes, you get garbage team mates that'll screw you over. The NP sapped XP in your lane and fucked off then, leaving you on level parity against two heroes as opposed to being one or two levels ahead. That is pretty bad.

That's not why I'm asking. I'm asking because while it was an incredibly frustrating game, I can still profit from it by seeing what mistakes I made and making sure I don't repeat them. For example, when the game started, I looked at their lineup and though "I'm going to have to buy a bkb". Except I didn't because I completely forgot about it. If I can spot my mistakes and avoid committing them a second time, then next time I'm in this situation we might end up winning.

Radiance/aghs Furion? Dat pro jungling

Yep, gotta farm fast.

Interesting reading the stuff about supports and their lack of impact. A lot of good players are very dismissive of "lane baby-sitting" supports, those games where you end up just standing in a lane taking xp, denying a few creeps and trading harass. Juice even says you're better off picking a greedy jungler than being a lane sponge support.

I don't completely get it though, I'm trying to have more impact as a support but I often get trapped in the baby-sitting role in a lot of games because I'm not sure what else to do. In most games at my level people tend to just pick 2-1-2 lanes, where both side lanes have farm dependent heroes who aren't particularly good solos.

So firstly that means you don't have a second support willing to roam with you, and I usually don't feel like I can do much by roaming mid as say a level 1 venge. Unless the enemy mid is like a sniper or something then a 100 damage magic missile is not really going to cut it.

But it also means that the carry ends up in a lane by himself where even if he won't necessarily die, he will get zoned away from the creeps a lot because the enemy dual lane can play really aggressive and keep forcing unfavourable trades. So I need to stand there being a sponge just to prevent that.

BeesEight

Interesting reading the stuff about supports and their lack of impact. A lot of good players are very dismissive of "lane baby-sitting" supports, those games where you end up just standing in a lane taking xp, denying a few creeps and trading harass. Juice even says you're better off picking a greedy jungler than being a lane sponge support.

I don't completely get it though, I'm trying to have more impact as a support but I often get trapped in the baby-sitting role in a lot of games because I'm not sure what else to do. In most games at my level people tend to just pick 2-1-2 lanes, where both side lanes have farm dependent heroes who aren't particularly good solos.

So firstly that means you don't have a second support willing to roam with you, and I usually don't feel like I can do much by roaming mid as say a level 1 venge. Unless the enemy mid is like a sniper or something then a 100 damage magic missile is not really going to cut it.

But it also means that the carry ends up in a lane by himself where even if he won't necessarily die, he will get zoned away from the creeps a lot because the enemy dual lane can play really aggressive and keep forcing unfavourable trades. So I need to stand there being a sponge just to prevent that.

If you have double lanes with the carry, it's unlikely you can leave. However, stack/pulling is even better here depending on match-up as you can deny two people xp and farm. You really need to know the power of your double versus theirs, however, and whether you can kill them and win the lane or not. You should read the situation. If your double lane is completely failing, your carry can't go near the wave or he'll die and is incapable of getting the last hits whenever he does get near a creep, then you are often better served leaving to put pressure on another lane to try and force them to make rotations.

And make sure you carry a tp if they try to dive while you're gone but supports should generally be carrying early tps anyway.

whats the point of 4/5s existing if the best way is to play 1/2?

4/5 is just the bitch role thats there so you can have a 1/2?

The secret to it is playing Visage or Warlock

Who are both secretly carries

Also, is maxing upheaval first a thing in competitive games? Just did it for the first time and my team destroyed. The range buff & radius makes it easy to do from the fog. I guess if your team can't actually win an early game team fight (This isn't possible with chaotic offering), you might want the heal, but I find the heal pretty lackluster in terms of cast time and range. Fatal Bonds is nice but 3 targets for one point seems sufficient for early game (it does make for better harass if you max it), but you can't really secure kills like you can with upheaval and your golem.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Also, is maxing upheaval first a thing in competitive games? Just did it for the first time and my team destroyed. The range buff & radius makes it easy to do from the fog. I guess if your team can't actually win an early game team fight (This isn't possible with chaotic offering), you might want the heal, but I find the heal pretty lackluster in terms of cast time and range. Fatal Bonds is nice but 3 targets for one point seems sufficient for early game (it does make for better harass if you max it), but you can't really secure kills like you can with upheaval and your golem.

I've never even tried it. I know things are different now but I just remember how it used to be when you wouldn't even bother leveling Upheaval until 21-25, so I don't use the skill as much as I should.

Satch

Banned
yesterday inkls and i played a match

i played medusa and he was supporting me in lane as tidehunter, and it was probably one of the easiest farming times ive had since i picked medusa up because of his aggressive play, and im pretty sure he got first blood double kill off of it

sometimes as a support, being a bully will help to put your carry ahead in lane. you can do more than deny creeps. pick tankier supports like tidehunter, ogre magi, or abaddon and scare the enemy out of lane

Pratfall

Played my first game as offlane Bristle and fell in love. Even though I made a huge mistake not skilling goo early (missed out on two kills probably) I had so much fun just running from tusk until his killed himself on my quills. The hero is just so strong once you have warpath and especially if you have a CM on your team.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yep, gotta farm fast.

And he didn't even beat your GPM.

I think that match was more of a result of your team pulling you down. Not much you can do when you're being weighted down by a 4/20 DK and a 0/13 Disrupt

inkls

yesterday inkls and i played a match

i played medusa and he was supporting me in lane as tidehunter, and it was probably one of the easiest farming times ive had since i picked medusa up because of his aggressive play, and im pretty sure he got first blood double kill off of it

sometimes as a support, being a bully will help to put your carry ahead in lane. you can do more than deny creeps. pick tankier supports like tidehunter, ogre magi, or abaddon and scare the enemy out of lane

I might add that I picked tide because I was supporting a range carry. Don't ever pick a melee support if you only have melee carries you won't be able to harass or deny because of your range, the opposite will happen. Tide is really fun as a support though because you're still kind of tanky late game and your ult is great (not to mention the -40% dmg).

At low level its probably good to just pick a support that can dish lots of damage like veno, disruptor, or one that helps your team stay alive. Dazzle is really good because you can make up for your team's mistake so easily with grave and heal your carry in lane if he takes too much harass.

But yeah, don't try sticking in lane if you can't zone out your opponents and they don't have the potential to kill the carry without a gank because you'll just be leeching xp. I've started creep pulling recently and it helps alot, you'll out level your lane opponents if they play the standard 2-1-2 or at least keep up against the solo offlaner.

I think that match was more of a result of your team pulling you down. Not much you can do when you're being weighted down by a 4/20 DK and a 0/13 Disrupt

yeah, but still, we almost won that game and its annoying when one game your team buys detection vs ONE invis hero, have a smart lane setup, are able to not give first blood in the first 5 minutes of the game and then this game where no one buys detection vs a mirana, ignore the free roshan we really needed and have silencer keep repeating in team chat "team noob".

I guess its still kind of a relief in a sense because since they were in their calibration matches, it lowers the chance of me ever encountering them again, but still.

Acinixys

How should the laning phase go? I supposed leveling flak cannon early if I'm not mid might not be a good idea because it'll push the lane. Also, I'm having a hard time using the missile outside of forcing people away so I can farm more, and without a stun or slow before 6 I guess I'll need a disabler to kill someone with the barrage.

Most people ignore rocket and skill at at level 8 or so. Its so easy to run away and destroy it that you should only use it to chase a wounded enemy or to hit someone from out the fog

Gyro + anyone with a stun/slow can be brutal during laning. Level one barrage does 330 damage on a 7 sec cooldown for 90 mana. Thats pretty messed up. If you can isolate someone its usually an easy kill. If you go 1v1 in the early game you can press Q and win

Ive seen a shitload of high tier players saying that 2 - 0 -3 - 1 build is the best.

Warlocks heal is pretty shit cause it take so long to do anything.

Most of the games Ive watched people do the following

Bonds the enemy hero/s
Ult
Cast Upheaval. At lvl 3 it slows by 20% a sec up to 84%. You can sit casting your 1.2k range slow when your Golem and team clean up

shira

9000 gold on 2 useless Furion items and stealing all visible lane creeps. That's a total fuck you team build. Surprised there was no refresher

Bro I have 2 pets piggies, not gonna eat em.

Those damn peruvians.

RIP

cuy3.jpg

Gonna want dis armor

So I just added two people from two random games I played with my smurf and apparently, I'm solo queuing into 4500 MMR 55% winrate players and still wrecking (49 games, 31-18). Holy shit, I can't wait for the calibration matches. Wonder if I can actually manage to score 1k higher than on my main.

However, I can confirm that I have little success with supports. I consider myself a better support player than core player but frankly, I feel more impactful as a carry at almost any stage of the game past minute 10. Then again, I barely miss a creep in lane and come out pretty well farmed from the laning stage unless I happen to run into a shitty lane.

Satch

Banned
when i get home im going to play tinker and im going to win a match IM GOING TO WIN WITH TINKER TONIGHT or im quitting dota again

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Dendi refused to disparage League of Legends in his IAMA

Is there hope for peace boken?

i played a lot of league of legends before i got DOTA2 invite . I can tell you a funny story :) I think i was doing very good . I played around 1800-2000 overall games of it . I wanted to get to top1 and write on forums of LOL that "this game is too easy and if you want something challenging or competetive you should play dota" . But :D sadly i got only to top8 MAX i think .. in solo QUE .Then i stopped due to DOTA . And i was playing alone mostly . So people in DUO had more opportunity to get top1 . At first i liked the game , but then slowly after playing it more and more i start realising of how "small chess field" it have compare to dota. How small "opportunities" it give to you at creativity. But it was long ago . PLEASE do not use it anywhere , because it's only my opinion . And it was long ago , since then a lot of things changed. I think League of Legends gave me a lot in dota . A lot patience actually :D because without it you can do nothing there . Also i think that SOLO que is very stupid idea in league of legends , because it's very very teamdepended game . I don't follow league of legends now , sometime i watch tournament games . I think this game improved a lot from the point i left it . But i will allways choose dota . I have nothing against league of legends . I just feel it more casual on medium lvl . Also i believe in higest lvl it is also very hard to play .

manfestival

Dendi refused to disparage League of Legends in his IAMA

Is there hope for peace boken?

he kindly shot down league. People really wanted dendi to just trash league? Also, dendi is clearly in the top realm of dota all the time so its natural someone like him could master another moba within the top level

Chris R

So I have a HoD question. Last night I just got a troll and put him in the Rosh Pit to do some scouting for us, as well as do some lockdown with the net when Dire people ran by. Better or worse than slaving an Alpha wolf to have follow me around all game? Assume trench tier micro, so I'm not going to use it to stack stuff for me.

Top Bottom