• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Matchmaking confirmed broken: all the teams are getting stomped by another team during tournaments (except Empire which managed to win once).

Acinixys

lol

Wok

aKrCOR0.jpg

Meanwhile, we are getting there.

I'm sorry but you're not bulldog, and you're not surrounded by alliance. The midas, shadowblade, necro is standard because it works. The blink orchid stuff was working because they had a wisp mostly.

If you want to be more active in ganks you can do that solely through skills (you can teleport anywhere on the map!) it doesn't even matter what items you pick.

Absolutely experiment with item builds and try new stuff, but don't treat a one time pro build as a easy instant win in pubs and the future of the hero.

I'd love to be proven wrong though, he's one of my favorite heroes and shaking up what people build on stuff is always fun.

I wanted to try this Bulldog build, and unfortunately, my Internet provider had DNS issues, I got a disconnection and an abandon. However, I was having a far better start than with the usual jungle Midas Furion: rather than having close to no impact, I was laning, and I could secure 5 kills by teleporting at the right time in any lane, with my treads (and Mjollnir just after). Rushing Midas impedes the early ganks with Furion. I would like to know the build order chosen by Bulldog, but if I reckon correctly, it was first Treads then Mjollnir.

Razzer

aKrCOR0.jpg

Meanwhile, we are getting there.

I wanted to try this Bulldog build, and unfortunately, my Internet provider had DNS issues, I got a disconnection and an abandon. However, I was having a far better start than with the usual jungle Midas Furion: rather than having close to no impact, I was laning, and I could secure 5 kills by teleporting at the right time in any lane, with my treads (and Mjollnir just after). Rushing Midas impedes the early ganks with Furion. I would like to know the build order chosen by Bulldog, but if I reckon correctly, it was first Treads then Mjollnir.

He didn't go Mjolnir. He went treads maelstrom then blink then orchid, then hex. He may have upgraded to mjolnir after that. And a forcestaff in there somewhere I think.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What good VODs should I watch?
Pretty sure you don't. It just replaces them.

He might actually be good if you did.
I played vs a CK and had horrifying RNG experiences. 4 of my 3 deaths were to a 4s stun, the last one due to him dealing 950 damage in 1 second with a bolt + crit and then his illu critting. What the fuck man.

Shinypogs

Yo Magnus is legit

In other news I watched Hearthstone over Dota am I becoming a casual

You lied to me! RP has garbage for range, empower might as well not be there and skewer is only slightly less finicky than pounce.

AKA I am bad with this hero and I knew I would be.

Magnus feels like one of the heroes's where I'll give him 5-6 shots and then stop inflicting my poor play on others. We'll see if I get used to him like I did with shadow fiend or if he ends up in the " tedious as fuck" pile along with doom.

edit: I know he's not a bad hero by any means, I love watching s4 play him, but he may very will be out of my skill level.

You lied to me! RP has garbage for range, empower might as well not be there and skewer is only slightly less finicky than pounce.

Magnus feels like one of the heroes's where I'll give him 5-6 shots and then stop inflicting my poor play on others. We'll see if I get used to him like I did with shadow fiend or if he ends up in the " tedious as fuck" pile along with doom.

edit: I know he's not a bad hero by any means, I love watching s4 play him, but he may very will be out of my skill level.

Magnus is really fun. RP range takes a while to get used to, but Blink makes it a lot easier to land. Also, the fact that Blink doesn't cost mana anymore makes him a lot easier to play. Don't be afraid to use it for solo kills in the early game, the cooldown isn't that bad. Empower is extremely powerful once you have it levelled up, 50% bonus damage is really good and can make e.g. a Mirana hit way harder than you'd expect.

sixghost

Magnus is a ton of fun to play. Once you have blink dagger you don't even need RP to get easy kills. Blinking behind someone and skewering them into a tower or into your entire team is amazing.

Slark is really fun. Though I'm not really sure what he's supposed to be doing. Setting up ganks with pounce? What's the use of his ultimate exactly?

iamblades

Slark is really fun. Though I'm not really sure what he's supposed to be doing. Setting up ganks with pounce? What's the use of his ultimate exactly?

Invincibility to targeted abilities and right clicks, passive heal and increase movespeed.

What's not to like about that.

With slark you are supposed to be darting around all over being a total pain in the ass, getting solo kills if a support goes anywhere alone. In teamfights you dive in, go balls deep on squishies till you get low, pop ult, hit a few more times, then back off out of vision, heal, and come back for round two.

Invincibility to targeted abilities and right clicks, passive heal and increase movespeed.

What's not to like about that.

With slark you are supposed to be darting around all over being a total pain in the ass, getting solo kills if a support goes anywhere alone. In teamfights you dive in, go balls deep on squishies till you get low, pop ult, hit a few more times, then back off out of vision, heal, and come back for round two.

Oh I didn't mean "what's the use" as in "it sucks." I legitimately didn't know how it was supposed to be used. Probably would have helped if I realized you could attack during it.

As for his dark purge, if I use it preemptively will it purge silence? ie: start to use skill, get silenced, dark purge activates. Or does silence interrupt it?

And what's the best way to tell if a support goes off alone? My biggest problem with playing gankers is that I sometimes abandon lanes for too long while looking for targets, find none, and then get no farm and no xp.

Randdalf

I just experienced the worst trade of all time, luckily it was our team that came out on top. They tried to base race against a Clinkz, Prophet and Windrunner at 15 minutes in... with no TPs... easy 17 minute rax.

Razzer

Oh I didn't mean "what's the use" as in "it sucks." I legitimately didn't know how it was supposed to be used. Probably would have helped if I realized you could attack during it.

As for his dark purge, if I use it preemptively will it purge silence? ie: start to use skill, get silenced, dark purge activates. Or does silence interrupt it?

And what's the best way to tell if a support goes off alone? My biggest problem with playing gankers is that I sometimes abandon lanes for too long while looking for targets, find none, and then get no farm and no xp.

Yes, dark pact will purge silences. Be careful though, at some are specifically unpurgeable, such as bloodseekers silence (seriously, fuck that hero).

He's the last hero I have for my 10 hero challenge, and I'm terrified to play him. He's not a bad hero, but he's not a great hero these days either. I was never a great Magnus player as well so that might have something to do with it. I feel like there are just more impactful mid heroes to play, and better team fight heroes as well. Empower is nice in the late game for your carry, but Magnus should be a powerhouse in the mid-game and he just feels lacking these days.

The ultimate has two components, a passive and an active one:

The passive part let's you regen health really fast and move really fast when the enemy has no vision on you (any vision counts, heroes, creeps, wards, etc.). This means you're really sustainable in lane and can move between lanes quickly. Since you can see the buff go away on your 'buff/debuff bar', you always know when the enemy has vision on you. A more advanced use of the this is using it to determine enemy ward spots.

The active part makes you invisible for 4 seconds. It's a special kind of invisibility that can not be removed with truesight (dust, sentries), and will not disappear when you attack. This makes it so you're practically invincible to autoattacks and targeted spells during this short window, and because you're out of sight, you will also get the regen and movespeed from your passive. Note that the enemy sees your smokecloud, so they will know where you are.

iamblades

Good wards help a ton.

A lot of pub supports refuse to ward anything other than rune spots and roshan, which are useless for spotting support rotations(if the enemy supports are at all competent), so in pubs you might have to make some educated guesses based on what you can see on the minimap.

Kioshen

Thanks for the game Inkls. Other than fumbling around with items because of a stupid item purchase order anything else I should at ? Probably too early to tell I'd assume.

Good wards help a ton.

A lot of pub supports refuse to ward anything other than rune spots and roshan, which are useless for spotting support rotations(if the enemy supports are at all competent), so in pubs you might have to make some educated guesses based on what you can see on the minimap.

As a support, I so far have stuck to warding the runes and roshan (throughout early and mid game, later on I put down more aggressive/defensive wards). What are good spots to ward for spotting rotations? Somewhere in the enemy jungle? Maybe on top of their "super ward cliff"? Near their tower so you can spot incoming TPs?

Pratfall

As a support, I so far have stuck to warding the runes and roshan (throughout early and mid game, later on I put down more aggressive/defensive wards). What are good spots to ward for spotting rotations? Somewhere in the enemy jungle? Maybe on top of their "super ward cliff"?

The ward by the radiant ancients (high ground right on the corner near the river) is always awesome later in the game. Something I learned from Merlini is that you ward for your next objective. Want to push radiant bot tower? Ward in lane behind the tower or somewhere in their jungle. Want to push mid tier 2? Ward behind the tower between the tier 2 and tier 3. Warding the jungle at all points in the game is also always good, especially if you can block camps against an opposing jungler since no one in lower MMRs bring sentries to lane so you can almost always shut down 2 or more camps.

But honestly, look at what your team is about to do (not always possible in pubs) and ward in the place where the enemy would group up to initiate or the direction from which they would try to wrap around.

Shinypogs

He's the last hero I have for my 10 hero challenge, and I'm terrified to play him. He's not a bad hero, but he's not a great hero these days either. I was never a great Magnus player as well so that might have something to do with it. I feel like there are just more impactful mid heroes to play, and better team fight heroes as well. Empower is nice in the late game for your carry, but Magnus should be a powerhouse in the mid-game and he just feels lacking these days.

Won just now with him, I just kept putting empower on juggernaut and timbersaw and trying to rp so our OD could ult on them.

I live in sub 2k mmr land ( when I play ranked) which should tell you everything about how capable I am of actual successfully blinking into rp into skewer. I did better this game but he just feels sort of wonky for me and I'm never sure I did enough each fight vs being CM or WD or DS where there's often much better indicators of how effective I was.

He's sort of like enigma for me where there's this big fear of fucking up your ult and the world ending even if no one ever yelled at me when I missed it. I wouldn't mind trying him again someday when I'm better skilled in general. I ended up finding him not so much tedious as frustrating when I ended up just missing an rp or a skewer by inches even after I was sure I'd be in range/at the right angle.

Good wards help a ton.

What exactly is support rotation? I'm guessing it means the support switching between their lane and mid lane? Or do they go all the way to the lane furthest from them and ward while traveling?

The ward by the radiant ancients (high ground right on the corner near the river) is always awesome later in the game. Something I learned from Merlini is that you ward for your next objective. Want to push radiant bot tower? Ward in lane behind the tower or somewhere in their jungle. Want to push mid tier 2? Ward behind the tower between the tier 2 and tier 3. Warding the jungle at all points in the game is also always good, especially if you can block camps against an opposing jungler since no one in lower MMRs bring sentries to lane so you can almost always shut down 2 or more camps.

But honestly, look at what your team is about to do (not always possible in pubs) and ward in the place where the enemy would group up to initiate or the direction from which they would try to wrap around.

Gosh, playing as support in pubs sounds nightmarish. Teamwork happens by pure chance unless someone with a mic takes lead and everyone decides to listen. It would be nearly impossible to ward in advance.

Razzer

What exactly is support rotation? I'm guessing it means the support switching between their lane and mid lane? Or do they go all the way to the lane furthest from them and ward while traveling?

Gosh, playing as support in pubs sounds nightmarish. Teamwork happens by pure chance unless someone with a mic takes lead and everyone decides to listen. It would be nearly impossible to ward in advance.

Ya, supports rotating is either them ganking, countering a gank with tps, or grouping up with the offlaner or midlaner to push. That last one doesn't happen often though, and neither do the first two at lower level play.

Pratfall

It is unrewarding at first because people are too dumb to look at the minimap and make use of the wards, but you quickly realize how big of a difference a well placed ward makes. You are pushing mid as 5 and scared of the enemy void chrono-ing you? A nice lane ward somewhere else shows you that the void is split pushing without a TP and you can push the tower aggressively. People don't realize just how huge wards are but having vision makes most people play smarter and it wins you games.

It is unrewarding at first because people are too dumb to look at the minimap and make use of the wards, but you quickly realize how big of a difference a well placed ward makes. You are pushing mid as 5 and scared of the enemy void chrono-ing you? A nice lane ward somewhere else shows you that the void is split pushing without a TP and you can push the tower aggressively. People don't realize just how huge wards are but having vision makes most people play smarter and it wins you games.

Yeah for sure. I recognize what a huge difference they can make. But only if you have a team willing to make use of them :_:

Whelp.

Also Slark's only problem seems to be low mana pool. Am I supposed to buy items to alleviate this?

What do most heroes start with?
Mostly unnecessary in my experience, if you're running out maybe spam less Q on waves and get a wand, but I think you're fine. Some games call for an orchid, but that depends on the enemy heroes.

Most heroes start with 2-4 armor, ogre has I think the highest base armor.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also Slark's only problem seems to be low mana pool. Am I supposed to buy items to alleviate this?

Bottle. Wand. Careful mana management.

Orchid is one of my favorite items on him for this very reason, but it might not always give you the burst you need. If there's a Storm/Ember/Earth Spirit or squishy caster on their team though, Orchid all the way.

Bottle. Wand. Careful mana management.

Orchid is one of my favorite items on him for this very reason, but it might not always give you the burst you need. If there's a Storm/Ember/Earth Spirit or squishy caster on their team though, Orchid all the way.

Bottle on Slark? Does Slark typically go mid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom