• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bottle on Slark? Does Slark typically go mid?

Slark can go mid. Slark can go anywhere. Slark can build anything. And you don't have to be mid to pick up a bottle. Sometimes your mid doesn't need bottle and sometimes they don't even know how to rune control, in which case the runes are going to waste on a useless mid when you can be using it to fuel your aggression.

His free roaming speed allows quick trips to and from the fountain so even if he's not getting priority on runes, it's allowing him to stay in lane just a bit longer to get kills or farm.

Ties

Banned
CM should be buffed again with 10 base armor lbr

Btw how do you guys feel about PA mid? Her dagger buffs make it seem plausible in theory but I haven't tried it yet

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So the caster Basskip got invited to TI4. Bit surprised, but I normally like his casts. I feel like he is likely a replacement for Drasykl.

Ties

Banned
Interesting, still bothersome how he turned down the invite. I enjoy his broadcasts somtimes, especially when he attempts to play as a 4 or 5 lol

Is there a caster that predominantly plays support?

When shit goes awry in my lane I don't know what to do other than fail to gank other lanes several times. It'd be nice to see someone high level do what they can to ensure victory. :p
What exactly is bottlecrowing?
When your bottle runs out of charges, you have the option to send the courier your way and depositing the bottle on it, afterwards you can send it back to base to refill without securing runes. This way, your mid can still control runes and you still get the benefits of the regen the bottle provides.

The only drawback is that you basically hog the courier away from your team, but this is easily fixed by pressing the "accelerate" command on the courier every time you send it to base.

Interesting, still bothersome how he turned down the invite. I enjoy his broadcasts somtimes, especially when he attempts to play as a 4 or 5 lol

Is there a caster that predominantly plays support?

When shit goes awry in my lane I don't know what to do other than fail to gank other lanes several times. It'd be nice to see someone high level do what they can to ensure victory. :p
Why are you assuming all casters are good at Dota? That said, Pyrion plays a lot of support, mostly Lich, but he's not great.

Pros either random or go mid(or both), they very rarely actually do supporting on stream.

Ties

Banned
Why are you assuming all casters are good at Dota? That said, Pyrion plays a lot of support, mostly Lich, but he's not great.

Pros either random or go mid(or both), they very rarely actually do supporting on stream.
Casters, the ones I watch at least, typically have a higher MMR rating than I do so I use that as precedent.

Yeah, I was disappointed when Fly didn't go support on his stream. :(

Slark can build anything.

Yet everyone instinctively buys Skadi on him. I honestly don't know why that is the item of choice for everyone, I usually do something wonky like Basher/Vlad's or Basher->HoD->Butterfly. He has pretty good IAS and always has solid move speed, so you can keep up with just about anyone. Hell, I'd take an SnY/Basher over Skadi on him any day...

Ties

Banned
Yet everyone instinctively buys Skadi on him. I honestly don't know why that is the item of choice for everyone, I usually do something wonky like Basher/Vlad's or Basher->HoD->Butterfly. He has pretty good IAS and always has solid move speed, so you can keep up with just about anyone. Hell, I'd take an SnY/Basher over Skadi on him any day...
Skadi's in the recommended item build, no? People tend to follow the builds there to a tee until you a hit a certain MMR ladder. Also, would you say that Slark is a good midgame carry overall to try out? I'm trying to get to 4k and sometimes the carries I get don't cut it and when I try to carry I always choose the most farm dependent ones lol. Sometimes it doesn't quite work out when your team feeds lanes

I get what you're saying though. It's annoying as fuck to see your team's carry tries to build farming items when you're behind. Like you're not getting that 13 minute Battle Fury, build something else.

Razzer

Skadi's in the recommended item build, no? People tend to follow the builds there to a tee until you a hit a certain MMR ladder. Also, would you say that Slark is a good midgame carry overall to try out? I'm trying to get to 4k and sometimes the carries I get don't cut it and when I try to carry I always choose the most farm dependent ones lol. Sometimes it doesn't quite work out when your team feeds lanes

I get what you're saying though. It's annoying as fuck to see your team's carry tries to build farming items when you're behind. Like you're not getting that 13 minute Battle Fury, build something else.

He's on 1.09's list of 'carries to raise MMR with', so yeah probs.

Skadi's in the recommended item build, no? People tend to follow the builds there to a tee until you a hit a certain MMR ladder.

I suppose. I just don't like Skadi because it's a steep investment for what you get. The slow is nice, but is it 5600 gold nice? I don't think so. You can get stats elsewhere and usually more beneficial extra effects to boot. I don't consider running around at the 15 minute mark with Treads and an Ultimate Orb or a Point Booster to be overly beneficial. At least they updated the item builds a bit. It was getting painful watching Vanguard AM's and Bfury BH's running around in every other game. I actually saw a Vanguard AM the other day and thought I had fallen backwards in time...

Is there a guide about item choice? Like I understand why supports build mekanism and arcane boots. I don't get why some Carrys get manta style, some get blood heart, some get phase boots, some get power treads, etc...

And why are treads and an ultimate orb at 15 minutes not beneficial?

Low Tier
Shadowblade is really good on slark, as he gets all of Shadow Dance's perks while shadow dancing and lets you assassinate anyone in lane.

Skadi is fine as Slark naturally gets stronger the more hits he gets off, so an item that not only slows your main target, but also gives you a ton of stats so you're super tanky is pretty good on him.

Tho the new thing is like blink+drums or aquila and just snowball people. Who knows that hero's dumb.

Razzer

Is there a guide about item choice? Like I understand why supports build mekanism and arcane boots. I don't get why some Carrys get manta style, some get blood heart, some get phase boots, some get power treads, etc...

It all depends on what gaps there are in a heroes toolset, and what do they especially benefit from. So a Storm Spirit carry is gonna want Bloodstone at some point down the line cus it gives him such good mana and health regen (the mana is the most important thing tho.) Whilst an AM needs to be able to farm fast to capitalize on his low cooldown blink and excellent steroid passives, so he gets battlefury. On the other hand, some cores are so versatile because their skills can apply to many situations. Slark is one such core, Nature's prophet is another as displayed by Bulldog in Dreamleague earlier. You kinda have to learn for each hero what they need and why, so that you can make the right decision.

Ties

Banned
I suppose. I just don't like Skadi because it's a steep investment for what you get. The slow is nice, but is it 5600 gold nice? I don't think so. You can get stats elsewhere and usually more beneficial extra effects to boot. I don't consider running around at the 15 minute mark with Treads and an Ultimate Orb or a Point Booster to be overly beneficial. At least they updated the item builds a bit. It was getting painful watching Vanguard AM's and Bfury BH's running around in every other game. I actually saw a Vanguard AM the other day and thought I had fallen backwards in time...
Rushing Skadi is a no-no, IMO. I can see why people may get it as an extension if they need more bulk, but I don't think it's worth the price myself. People shouldn't rush big items on carries, imo. They should be going for smaller ones that keep them semi-effective earlygame (maelstrom, vlads, yasha, etc.) whilst accelerating their farm. Honestly I don't think I've ever built a Vanguard... it seems like a shitty item despite the HP regen being helpful during the laning phase.

This is a bit outdated hero-wise with the builds, but its a good read to get the fundamentals down.
Know what role you're playing throughout the game, its very important!

Kard8p3

Shadowblade is really good on slark, as he gets all of Shadow Dance's perks while shadow dancing and lets you assassinate anyone in lane.

Skadi is fine as Slark naturally gets stronger the more hits he gets off, so an item that not only slows your main target, but also gives you a ton of stats so you're super tanky is pretty good on him.

Tho the new thing is like blink+drums or aquila and just snowball people. Who knows that hero's dumb.

whats better IYO, blink or SB? Or does it just depend game by game?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The problem with Skadi is that it's just not very cost efficient in the early game. You get +10 to all stats, then +10 again, some HP and some Mana. This doesn't fix his innate mana problems, doesn't make his dive all that much better (ult = free diving anyway), doesn't give him that much damage, and you already get slow/poison from OoV way before you pick up your first two orbs.

Skadi Slark is luxury Doto, like Radiance TB. I think he is much better off getting early kills and if he can do it while building to Skadi, all the better, but usually it'll be in spite of his Ultimate Orbs and not because of them, whereas an early Drum will noticeably contribute to your kill count.

It's a lot more situational than you would think. It boils down to being able to asses what your opponent has. If they have a lot of disables a BKB is a good idea. Manta Style is usually for heroes that are good at split pushing, or those that have an escape mechanic (so you can Manta out of a Silence and escape). Phase Boots are good for heroes with low base damage or that need good positioning because they lack a gap closer (Alchemist, Invoker) and Power Treads are better for squishy heroes who just need decent move speed and benefit from attack speed and some stats for padding (AM, Lifestealer, Riki). With Treads, learning how to tread switch is probably one of the best things you can do to up your game a bit.

There are some items that are considered "Core" on certain heroes because they work well with the way the hero is designed. Example; Diffusal Blade on PL. The Mana Burn spreads to his Illusions so if you get 3 of them smacking on someone it drains their mana very quickly. Another example; Blink Dagger on anyone with an AoE (Tide, Sand King, Enigma, Magnus). Their AoE's are based around them in most cases (melee range for Enigma) so it allows you to get right in the middle of your enemies and maximize the damage/disable effect. I'll do one more because it's the most broken example in the game; Boots of Travel on Tinker. Tinker is an asshole. But his Re-Arm ulti resets the cooldowns on his Spells and his items, so you get BoT's and port to your creep wave in each lane and push the crap oughta the enemy team, then just re-arm and port back to fountain. Rinse and Repeat.

A lot is situational, a lot is your playstyle. Not everyone builds Maelstrom on WR, but RTZ does.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Well you usually aren't going naked Skadii. I go skadii on slark after treads/wand/shadowblade and those 3 items are more than enough to secure plenty of early game kills. Skadii gives slark everything he needs: shit ton of HP, a bit of damage, a passive slow, and a giant mana pool so you never have to go back to well.

Also his ult is a %based heal so slark benefits a shit ton from HP items, BUT heart is shit on slark (you don't need the regen, and it doesn't benefit your damage or your mana pool or give you some utility like skadii) so you're left with sny or skadii. And for me personally, if I'm on a target, with just an orb of venom they are dead, so I don't care for the MS from drums or sny--I'm moving at 522 when not in vision, and I have shadowblade to get up close and personal.

It all depends on what gaps there are in a heroes toolset, and what do they especially benefit from. So a Storm Spirit carry is gonna want Bloodstone at some point down the line cus it gives him such good mana and health regen (the mana is the most important thing tho.) Whilst an AM needs to be able to farm fast to capitalize on his low cooldown blink and excellent steroid passives, so he gets battlefury. On the other hand, some cores are so versatile because their skills can apply to many situations. Slark is one such core, Nature's prophet is another as displayed by Bulldog in Dreamleague earlier. You kinda have to learn for each hero what they need and why, so that you can make the right decision.

So if anti Mage needs to farm fast why not get a maelstrom since it can be gotten much earlier and helps a lot with farming?

Ties

Banned
So if anti Mage needs to farm fast why not get a maelstrom since it can be gotten much earlier and helps a lot with farming?
The regen from a BF helps AM split push/farm better because of his blink ability. Maelstrom, although I do love it, doesn't really benefit him in the long run if the game isn't going to complete shit on your side. Building a maelstrom implies that you're going to fight early, and considering that AM is one of the more farm dependent heroes in the game you're not going to do much of that.

The regen from a BF helps AM split push/farm better because of his blink ability. Maelstrom, although I do love it, doesn't really benefit him in the long run if the game isn't going to complete shit on your side. Building a maelstrom implies that you're going to fight early, and considering that AM is one of the more farm dependent heroes in the game you're not going to do much of that.

You missed the other problem -- he already has an attack modifier. Granted, Maelstrom will only interrupt it when it procs, he wants that mana burn over a chain lightning every few hits.

iamblades

Maelstrom proc overrides your mana burn, and maelstrom doesn't help you farm ancients (or mud golems, but that's not really an issue).

Also you really need the regen from the BFury anyway without how you are going to be blinking from camp to camp tanking jungle creeps, and antimage has great attack speed so he doesn't really benefit as much as certain other carries do from the IAS on maelstrom and mjolnir.

Battlefury is also basically the 3rd-4th best right click dps item in the game in the game

Blink Slark is a high risk high reward item, perfect item to land pounces with, terrible item as it leaves you no bonus skills that shadow blade gives.

Carlius

Banned
man i love io. hes so good. but then i get dumb ppl, who pick an enigma when we have a chen and an io. so its enigma, chen, io, clock and sniper. enigma and chen in jungle. nobody bot. pro dota

Bad7667

Just played Ogre Magi which I haven't played for a while. He was my favourite hero when I first started playing dota, don't know why I stopped playing him. He's so much fun.

mortarteam.gif

Damn it, frog, where's the Mortar Team hero?

Kard8p3

just had an interesting game..

http://dotabuff.com/matches/722790638'

was on my alt, 3 ppl abandoned like ten mins in, i guess they were all at a cafe, so its just me and my friend the puck holding the other 5 off. We knew we'd lose but it was amazing staying bc the other team got so flustered that we destroyed 2v5. Aba claims I'm trash, wouldn't take my 1v1 offer 8(

Zeknurn

holy fuck what is the chance. third time in two days that I end up on the same team with the same person that intentionally feeds each game. gggggg fuck this matchmaking.

dmshaposv

There hasnt been an update on compendium related shit in over 2 weeks.

That pudge courier better be able to cook your dinner while u are busy dotaing, because it really shouldn't take this long to create 1 damn courier.

Spookie

There hasnt been an update on compendium related shit in over 2 weeks.

That pudge courier better be able to cook your dinner while u are busy dotaing, because it really shouldn't take this long to create 1 damn courier.

Valve are probably going to tactically release just before IT4 it so it generates more revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom