• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

I really need to start playing with a team. I just cannot get out of the 2.5k scrub matchmaking by myself when I constantly get matched with feeders and players who have no idea what is going on:(

Any UK people about that use comms and play regularly, willing to take me under their wing? I'm happy playing support if that helps :p

Do you play on EU West? I'm not from the UK but I'm fairly certain I can help you. Just post your Steam ID and I'll add you later.

I really need to start playing with a team. I just cannot get out of the 2.5k scrub matchmaking by myself when I constantly get matched with feeders and players who have no idea what is going on:(

Any UK people about that use comms and play regularly, willing to take me under their wing? I'm happy playing support if that helps :p
Im in the Uk possibly at your level too, not that i checked tbh. And play regurlarly hit me up if you want to play

Zeknurn

Of course the single person on my team that has 1k lower mmr than anyone else picks Invoker, goes mid, gets destroyed against SF and proceeds to feed rest of the game.

Fuck people that queue with other people. Bring back solo queue please.

Gav47

Would Pugna's ward to deal with Tinker? There's only a 5 sec down time between it running out and the next one coming offf cd (assuming you keep it alive)

Of course the single person on my team that has 1k lower mmr than anyone else picks Invoker, goes mid, gets destroyed against SF and proceeds to feed rest of the game.

Fuck people that queue with other people. Bring back solo queue please.

He probably didn't know he would face an enemy mid 1k higher than him?

Would Pugna's ward to deal with Tinker? There's only a 5 sec down time between it running out and the next one coming offf cd (assuming you keep it alive)

It's not THAT effective, only useful during that time between when he has BOTs but not much else and that period doesn't last long. Most good tinkers would then just stop taking engagements and split push/ get pick-offs so that the ward isn't an issue.

Zeknurn

Was he <2k?

2,6k.

Oh well, I'm going to play a unranked game and get much better team mates like always. Lose ranked -> win unranked. I have a feeling that my hidden mmr is much higher because I've dropped quite a bit in mmr the last few weeks..

edit: Yes it is. There's people buying wards, supports rotating for ganks and a mid that doesn't die 5 times in 5 minutes. Amazing.

Wok

2,6k.

Oh well, I'm going to play a unranked game and get much better team mates like always. Lose ranked -> win unranked. I have a feeling that my hidden mmr is much higher because I've dropped quite a bit in mmr the last few weeks..

Usually, you win matches when you are under-ranked, and you lose matches when you are ranked too high with respect to your skill. Not the other way round.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
2,6k.

edit: Yes it is. There's people buying wards, supports rotating for ganks and a mid that doesn't die 5 times in 5 minutes. Amazing.

Where are these elusive GAF gathering places in Dota 2 network, I swear I can never find them.

fuuuuuuuck this game sometimes

random pudge, i'm 3 0 vs sniper 5 mins in (not exacty hard , pudge owns sniper:p) , the second I hit lvl 6 I buy a tp and smoke and kill the carry bot at which point i'm 5 0

at this point (<1 minute after I hit 6 and <30seconds after i kill bot) the top dual lane is saying 'gg no ganks' as they feed kill after kill, and while I'm ganking bot one guy on enemy team wisely starts pushing mid and the top guys are pinging the mid tower like crazy saying "gg"

ARG

Makes me want to slap them through the monitor

How little map awareness can you have, how little understanding of the game can you have, how bad can you be, why are you calling gg 6 minutes into the game, how do I get matched with these kinds of people one game, while the next game I'll have amazing teammates

dotabuff lists the game as 'high skilled' matchmaking bracket
no valve, this is not high skilled, this is a gutter tier pub

Red UFO

random pudge, i'm 3 0 vs sniper 5 mins in (not exacty hard , pudge owns sniper:p) , the second I hit lvl 6 I buy a tp and smoke and kill the carry bot at which point i'm 5 0

at this point (<1 minute after I hit 6 and <30seconds after i kill bot) the top dual lane is saying 'gg no ganks' as they feed kill after kill, and while I'm ganking bot one guy on enemy team wisely starts pushing mid and the top guys are pinging the mid tower like crazy saying "gg"

ARG

How little map awareness can you have, how little understanding of the game can you have, how bad can you be, why are you calling gg 6 minutes into the game, how do I get matched with these kinds of people one game, while the next game I'll have amazing teammates

You just gotta learn to ignore it dude. If you're certain you're in the right, just be happy with how your doing, mute them and carry on. People on Dota like to blame everyone except themselves.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I have no problems with it. It's not unfair in the least.

I don't know, many pro players would disagree with you, even from advancing teams like DK.

They seem to really hate the bo1 format, and I wouldn't be surprised if TI5 group stages were bo2.

Iceiceice went as far as saying bo1 wins are all luck and cheese. Dunno if I'd go that far, but I agree with his general sentiment. I don't like to see a team completely eliminated without playing at least one series.

Ultimately it is what it is, no tournament is perfect, and just like every year, I'm sure valve will continue to change it up, balancing fairness and time constraints, and iterate based on the feedback of the players themselves.

I don't know, many pro players would disagree with you, even from advancing teams like DK.

They seem to really hate the bo1 format, and I wouldn't be surprised if TI5 group stages were bo2.

Iceiceice went as far as saying bo1 wins are all luck and cheese. Dunno if I'd go that far, but I agree with his general sentiment. I don't like to see a team completely eliminated without playing at least one series.

How is playing 15 games not a representative reflection of your current level? I really enjoyed how tense the group stage was and I like the fact that teams can get eliminated easily if they screw up. Makes things so tense. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the low bracket system - losing in a knockout stage should eliminate you right away. No different than any other sports really and keeps the tension super high.

2,6k.

Most of my friends hover between 2.6k and 3k. Mechanically, they are fairly sound (and generally capable of invoking spells surely?) but they tend to make a lot of itemization and positioning mistakes. Also, most people at that bracket are poor at farming and last hitting. It's surprising your Invoker was that bad honestly.

Spookie

How little map awareness can you have, how little understanding of the game can you have

You're honestly suprised?

I don't even get mad when there is two wards covering our carry and he still manages to get ganked even though he got pinged by everyone. It's bog standard pub Dota. Just wait for him to blame everyone else, mute him and move on.

Nymerio

ARG

Don't let it get to you. It's sop to blame the other lanes. Or blame supports for everything. I was playing Undying recently as the only support on my team. After losing a fight some guy just goes "gg support doesn't build mek" even though we had one for the last five minutes and it got used in the preceeding fight. After politely informing him of the fact the answer was "ok. pipe?". Yes, because as a position 5 support I'll just have gold growing on trees after buying and upgrading courier, having wards up all game and building a mek. Mid is even worse, I only play mid with friends nowadays.

Messiah

Some people are being banned from match making for 30 days. I wonder just what you have to do to trigger that. So far all the people who mention it say they haven't done anything, but I don't exactly believe them.

Probably Tinker pickers, RIP hylian7
emoticon-2867-src-f02f9d40f66f0840-28x28.png

Spookie

Another one of those dota poop-esq vids. Second segment in it is comedy gold though.

Don't let it get to you. It's sop to blame the other lanes. Or blame supports for everything. I was playing Undying recently as the only support on my team. After losing a fight some guy just goes "gg support doesn't build mek" even though we had one for the last five minutes and it got used in the preceeding fight. After politely informing him of the fact the answer was "ok. pipe?". Yes, because as a position 5 support I'll just have gold growing on trees after buying and upgrading courier, having wards up all game and building a mek. Mid is even worse, I only play mid with friends nowadays.

Pick a high impact mid or a fun hero like Timber and wreck. Only way to go.

Nymerio

Another one of those dota poop-esq vids. Second segment in it is comedy gold though.

Pick a high impact mid or a fun hero like Timber and wreck. Only way to go.

Eh, I'm lucky enough to always be able to play with at least one friend anyway. Though I do have to try playing Timber again. It's been ages since I last played him. Last couple of days I always picked Windrunner when I went offlane. I love that hero, I hope she gets some love in the next patch.

Speaking of next patch: Announced during the ending ceremony of TI4? Comes with techies and custom games?

Zeknurn

Usually, you win matches when you are under-ranked, and you lose matches when you are ranked too high with respect to your skill. Not the other way round.

All I know is that match quality is much higher in unranked for me which is causing me to have much more even games (and win more) when queueing it compared to ranked. I guess it probably reflects me as a player where no matter what role I play I need people to work with to do well which is something you hardly find in ranked where everyone picks whatever popular streamers play even though they can't play it.

Oh well, dota is dota.

Most of my friends hover between 2.6k and 3k. Mechanically, they are fairly sound (and generally capable of invoking spells surely?) but they tend to make a lot of itemization and positioning mistakes. Also, most people at that bracket are poor at farming and last hitting. It's surprising your Invoker was that bad honestly.

My guess would be that his mmr was inflated by queueing with his friend. Or he just decided to pick a hero that he had never played before. It however would not explain why he kept ghost walking into the enemy jungle to gank a CM and get jumped by the rest of the team around 5 times.

I guess I wouldn't blame him as much if I could just leave the game without any repercussions.

Had a game yesterday where our Invoker disconnected and I had to take over playing him and basically stop playing Skywrath because I suck at micro. I also never played Invoker before either so we lost despite a 20k gold lead, was so frustrating

dmshaposv

Nothing fucking pisses me off like assholes who say "ez" at the end of a game. I report that shit every time

Fuck them

You are already dead.

The whole "ez" dickhead thing is a way to get to you. Which they did. Just ignore or DC once the ancient is down. It certainly isn't worth reporting, its just harmless trash talk.

There's something about saying ggwp ez that is completely in line with the character of MOBA players.

Why even say ggwp, just be a dick and say ez.

kvk1

Mute the entire opposition at the beginning of the game = instant ~100 MMR boost.

You're gonna love the way you play. I guarantee it.

hush.gif

dont forget to tell the other team the heroes they picked sucked, and which lanes they lost.

Don't worry, I dont.

I genuinely correct enemy hero's item mistakes (when I feel the win is secure) to drive them over the edge. For example, when people forget they can disassemble their Arcane boots and buy a second energy booster to finish their Bloodstone, I call them out midgame and tell them to fucking disassemble the boots and sell the booster. Or if enemy players go for garbage items like Battle Fury on Jugg or Bounty, I occasionally tell them to sell their perseverance and get good items instead. Or if the enemy Sniper or Drow goes shadow blade and we have a Slardar, Bloodseeker or Bounty on our team - I call them out.

I'm fucking poison but honestly, I love the rough community in Dota. It breeds some of the most hilarious video game related stories. To this date, I crack up at "team noob report plz". I can't get over how dumb it is, but then again, I'm probably equally simple-minded getting amused by nonsense like that.

Not really. Invoker is pretty hard solely because, to be effective, you need to invoke spells in the middle of fights while you're under pressure. I've been playing quite a bit of Invoker trying to learn it and the hardest thing for me is invoking the right spell at the right time. Is now a good time to Ice wall? Should I invoke my stun instead? Am I being focused? Do i need to run away quickly or regen and trade hits - which orbs should I have up? On top of all this Invoker isn't the tankiest hero so you need to make sure you don't put yourself out of position. It gets even harder if you go an Exort build. Invokers Auto's are also pretty weak if you're Quas/Wex so last hitting mid becomes a pain if the other player is good.

Messiah

Don't worry, I dont.

I genuinely correct enemy hero's item mistakes (when I feel the win is secure) to drive them over the edge. For example, when people forget that they can disassemble their Arcane boots and buy a second energy booster to finish their Bloodstone, I call them out midgame and tell them to fucking disassemble the boots and sell the booster. Or if enemy players go for garbage items like Battle Fury on Jugg or Bounty, I occasionally tell them to sell their perseverance and get good items instead. Or if the enemy Sniper or Drow goes shadow blade and we have a Slardar, Bloodseeker or Bounty on our team - I call them out.

I'm fucking poison but honestly, I love the rough community in Dota. It breeds some of the most hilarious video game related stories. To this date, I crack up at "team noob report plz". I can't get over how dumb it is, but then again, I'm probably equally simple-minded getting amused by nonsense like that.
Also nice to point out the weakest link in their team early on to sow dissent in the enemy team and start a flamewar. We are disgusting though.

Interfectum

Also nice to point out the weakest link in their team early on to sow dissent in the enemy team and start a flamewar. We are disgusting though.

This is pretty much the worst thing I do in Dota 2. Most of the time I try and be pretty respectful to both teams whether they do good or bad. I never do "ez" or "bg" or any of that bullshit. But sometimes I'll look for a bad player on the opposing team and plant the seed to see what happens.

One time I pointed out how their Pudge missed a few hooks. Well they must have been hard on him because 10 minutes later he was buying couriers and sending them to our team for the slaughter. Massive team implosion.

Sometimes I get yelled at by my teammates cause I give the enemy team tips, like if you're a Treant, you can heal towers, or it's sometimes better to wait for the perfect time to use game-changing ultis like Ravage,RP or Echo slam.

Still feels good helping people learn though :)

Interfectum

Sometimes I get yelled at by my teammates cause I give the enemy team tips, like if you're a Treant, you can heal towers, or it's sometimes better to wait for the perfect time to use game-changing ultis like Ravage,RP or Echo slam.

Still feels good helping people learn though :)

I don't know if it's because maybe I'm a nice guy or simply a contrarian but I prefer to make my Dota 2 games less toxic by actually talking to people as if they are human beings. I'll help both teams, I'm pretty forgiving and I don't take the bait on their insults. It keeps my blood pressure from spiking too!

Top Bottom