• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What the fuck is a best of 2?

Anyway I agree BO1 is a bad format. It encourages conventional, safe picks like the shitty Razor, Enigma, etc. every single game we saw in the group stage. Also in a Dota game you can literally lose due to one single mistake. BO3 is a far superior format in that it gives the two teams a chance to react to each other and will generally give them more room to try less conventional picks.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I tend to agree with him, and I don't think it's comparable to real sports, because you don't really have an asymmetrical stadium/field in real sports. Also, if wind, perspective, or whatever is a problem, most sports switch sides after halftime just to make the game as fair as possible. You can't do this in dota without a new game in dota, hence a bo2 being a more fair format, giving both sides a shot at their favored side/pick.
Phase II was like a 51% - 49% win rate across both teams. I think Radiant actually won more.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Phase II was like a 51% - 49% win rate across both teams. I think Radiant actually won more.

The sides are pretty balanced, but they are very different. Some teams prefer radiant, others prefer dire. Same deal with first pick. Either way, I assume just like in real sports, both "sides" of the football/soccer/tennis stadium have 50% winrate (lol?), regardless, they switch at halftime to eliminate any minor advantages/disadvantages, and to play the most fair game possible. If both sides of the stadium win around 50% of the time, why bother switching? Well, to have the most fair game possible, and eliminate any possible doubt in the mind of anyone and everyone--player, spectator--that one team had some sort of minor advantage.

What the fuck is a best of 2?

Anyway I agree BO1 is a bad format. It encourages conventional, safe picks like the shitty Razor, Enigma, etc. every single game we saw in the group stage. Also in a Dota game you can literally lose due to one single mistake. BO3 is a far superior format in that it gives the two teams a chance to react to each other and will generally give them more room to try less conventional picks.

It's exactly how it sounds, "best of" probably isn't appropriate but it's the shortest way of saying everyone plays 2 games against each other. Teams play 2 games, one on each side of the map. Exactly like the current format, but double the games, because you play every team twice.

Wok

It's exactly what the words say. Teams play 2 games, one on each side of the map. Exactly like the current format, but double the games, because you play every team twice.

So, you can have ties. Why not? It is not that much less random though. IceCube's argument was that the best teams can be surprised once, but they will be able to adapt to their opponents during the second game (and win the bo3 with a loss and 2 wins).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So, you can have ties. Why not?

We're talking about the group stages... ties are fine. It's your record (i.e. 22-8 vs 15-15) that determines if you advance or not, and if there are ties after all the games are played (same deal like this year), there's a separate tiebreaker.

kvk1

Loda's too emo for his own good. I'm almost positive that if he didn't take the losses so personally the team morale and performance would visibly improve.

So, was there ever really anything between the two? Where did this whole stuff even come from? ^^

Also Sheever really made something out of herself over the last year, looks pretty good now

iamblades

Quick question, is it better to stack armor, health regen, or health on tide? As far as it relates to kraken shell.

Kraken shell shouldn't effect the EHP calculations at all AFAIK, as the damage reduction is after armor.

Tide doesn't really need tank items at all, if you are being focused it usually means your team is going to win the fight. Mek is usually the only tank item I build on tide, sometimes I get a late game Shiva's.

I don't think I have bought any HP items on Tide in forever.

If it is an absolute necessity and no one else is going to be able to afford it, I could see getting a sheep stick on him instead of shiva's, and if you have like an Enigma or something who is going to build the mek, I would get a pipe early, but generally arc boots>mek>blink>refresher works damned good.

If the game goes long enough to fill your 5th and 6th slots, then I'd go for HP, but Tide functions scales off utility way more than he scales off stats.

Deadly

I'm not the one actually playing out the bo1's and I'm not as knowledgeable as a pro, so I'll just quote iceiceice's view, which I think is pretty spot on:

I tend to agree with him, and I don't think it's comparable to real sports, because you don't really have an asymmetric stadium/field in real sports. Also, to eliminate any wind, perspective, or whatever possible side advantage, most sports switch sides after halftime just to make the game is as fair as possible. You can't do this in dota without a new game, hence a bo2 being a more fair format, giving both sides a shot at their favored side/pick.

No one is saying playing 15 games isn't a representation of skill, it is for this particular tournament because that's the way Valve chose. The argument is that it isn't the best representation of skill, and there are perhaps better, or more fair formats for a game like dota. The only issue with bo2's is probably the time constraint, and it''s up to Valve how they want to balance time/"fairness," will be interesting to see how they alter the format for next year, if at all.
Were the results that unexpected though? For example he says he expected Fnatic, Empire, Alliance to make it but which teams would NOT have made it then?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So when playing Sand King when in your Epi>Blink>Burrow>Sandstorm combo do you use a Veil? If you use it before the entire combo you lose the element of surprise. If you use it after you blink in you're susceptible to getting locked down before you burrow/storm. If you use it after Burrow you lose a lot of potential damage from the burrow and first few pulses of Epi.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Were the results that unexpected though? For example he says he expected Fnatic, Empire, Alliance to make it but which teams would NOT have made it then?

I'm assuming liquid, titan, and vici. He said liquid surprised everyone, and that everyone in China thought vici sucked ass before TI. Titan is just a wild card, and I'm fairly sure no one in China scrimmed against them, so they were definitely an underdog and probably not expected to do so well by the Chinese teams.

So, was there ever really anything between the two? Where did this whole stuff even come from? ^^

Also Sheever really made something out of herself over the last year, looks pretty good now

Bulldog started it as a joke. He keeps dragging it along by constantly reminding people of said joke couple, i.e. putting Sheever pictures in his profile, always chatting in her stream, tweeting about her, acting like her boyfriend, "pretending" to be infatuated/love her, etc...

I'm pretty much convinced at this point that reddit and the whole internet know the sheever + bulldog is just a bad joke, and bulldog desperately tries to keep it going, but deep down, he really loves Sheever. It's all a facade man, he's hoping that the bad joke becomes his reality -triple phd psychotherapist freud prodigy anbokr.

I'm assuming liquid, titan, and vici. He said liquid surprised everyone, and that everyone in China thought vici sucked ass before TI. Titan is just a wild card, and I'm fairly sure no one in China scrimmed against them, so they were definitely an underdog and probably not expected to do so well by the Chinese teams.

Bulldog started it as a joke. He keeps dragging it along by constantly reminding people of said joke couple, i.e. putting Sheever pictures in his profile, always chatting in her stream, tweeting about her, acting like her boyfriend, "pretending" to be infatuated/love her, etc...

I'm pretty much convinced at this point that reddit and the whole internet know the sheever + bulldog is just a bad joke, and bulldog desperately tries to keep it going, but deep down, he really loves Sheever. It's all a facade man, he's hoping that the bad joke becomes his reality -triple phd psychotherapist freud prodigy anbokr.

maybe it will be a true love story like blitz and ms spite

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
gabe watching the navi game:

BsiKjqUCYAALJOp.jpg

Wok

EuXmr5e.png

If EG loses in the UBR1, will they face the winner of C9/Navi or the winner of Newbee/IG/LGD? Is there a rule?

Wok

specter is definitely not the strongest or even one of the strongest carries in the game. Both void and AM easily outcarry her - the only thing she is really good for is gibbing the enemy teams supports if they are underfarmed.

How many specters are you seeing being picked up in competitive or international qualifiers right now? I'll give you a hint: 0.

Spectre hardest carry in the game? Maybe a confirmation soon with Newbee vs IG game 1.

Edit: Confirmed. Spectre will win TI4. 90% kill participation. 16 minutes game.

Edit: Now with Void. Let us see how the game 2 goes.

They play LGD/Newbee/IG if the main Dota 2 site can be believed (UB B plays LB B)

Cool, thanks.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm actually quite surprised by the pace (if not the quality) of the Chinese Dota this year. All these sub-20 minute games... China show mercy plz

Re: Bulldog and Sheever, it's obvious there's no romance there but they ARE friends and there's no harm in playing it up for the cameras. I find it cute still. I actually kind of can't wait for TI to be over so they start streaming again

ViviOggi

I can't wait either, it feels like 10 years since I've seen RTZ strim :( I've almost forgotten how good his music can be :(

I ᴏᴡᴇ ᴍʏ ʟɪғᴇ ᴛᴏ Aʀᴛᴏᴜʀ Bᴀʙᴀᴇᴠ . I ᴡᴀs ɪɴ ᴄᴏᴍᴀ ғᴏʀ 6 ᴍᴏɴᴛʜs ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ᴀ ᴛᴇʀʀɪʙʟᴇ ᴄᴀʀ ᴄʀᴀsʜ. Oɴᴇ ᴅᴀʏ ᴍʏ ɴᴜʀsᴇ ᴛᴜʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ Tᴡɪᴛᴄʜ ᴄʜᴀɴɴᴇʟ Aʀᴛᴇᴇᴢʏ's sᴛʀᴇᴀᴍ, sᴏ I ɢᴏᴛ ᴜᴘ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴜᴛᴇᴅ ɪᴛ.

What happened to Alliance this past year? Have they not been practising? They were so strong last year. :(

They couldn't adequately adjust to the anti-rat changes in the most recent balance patches. I do think, however, that if they had been playing Bo2's or similar, they would have at least not been in the bottom 4.

They couldn't adequately adjust to the anti-rat changes in the most recent balance patches. I do think, however, that if they had been playing Bo2's or similar, they would have at least not been in the bottom 4.

Teams realized Bulldog only had 2 good heroes and they could just draft around whichever one they let through.

Yo anyone play against or as a lane combo of Centaur and Tiny? I just got wrecked by them and it's pretty unstoppable. Tiny throws Centaur, Stomp, Double Edge, Avalanche. My squishy Witch Doctor didn't stand a chance :(

Teams realized Bulldog only had 2 good heroes and they could just draft around whichever one they let through.

Bulldog is fine with most offlane heroes, he's just godlike with a couple. And teams knew this at TI3 as well, it's just that Alliance would just draft Batrider/Wisp/whatever else wasn't banned and roll face anyway. They didn't have any non-NP strategies this time around and they were easily handicapped by banning just 2 heroes. I believe that they can redeem themselves if they stick together(which they will).

Top Bottom