• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Messiah

Guys, I was kidding. I am always playing with chat muted
chansub-global-emoticon-f6c13c7fc0a5c93d-36x30.png

But then all you are doing is becoming a pub shitter yourself.

lol indeed

I'm too emotionally invested in the game to not shit on people. Can't say I'm proud but it is what it is. I'm still having a blast with Dota and the toxic community (which I'm part of) is hilarious to me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Interfectum

lol indeed

I'm too emotionally invested in the game to not shit on people. Can't say I'm proud but it is what it is. I'm still having a blast with Dota and the toxic community (which I'm part of) is hilarious to me.

And I have fun going against the grain with stuff like that. Instead of being like everyone else and saying "gg ez lol" I'll call out one of the better players and tell them good job. It's amazing the reaction you can get if you are genuinely nice to people.

I'm not judging you for joining in on the toxic fun, I'm just saying try a couple matches where you aren't being so abrasive and see how that feels.

And I have fun going against the grain with stuff like that. Instead of being like everyone else and saying "gg ez lol" I'll call out one of the better players and tell them good job. It's amazing the reaction you can get if you are genuinely nice to people.

I'm not judging you for joining in on the toxic fun, I'm just saying try a couple matches where you aren't being so abrasive and see how that feels.

I definitely see your point. In fact, I get added a lot and have tons of commendations (a few hundred if I'm not entirely mistaken) because I use voice chat every game to be extremely communicative and in roughly 52% of my games, there's little to complain about because we win. The other 48%, however,...

Milkman and I flamed the shit out of a Tinker and Void picker as we were destroying their base yesterday. Felt so good. I really feel the emotes they added just tack on another layer of perfect trolling.

Must've felt so good. No regrets, right? If you're an avid Dota player, you should what you've gotten yourself in to.

Nymerio

For maximum salt add "signup.leagueoflegends.com" to your insult rotation.

I'm gonna be muted forever with all the flaming advice I get on here. I got muted for 48h just recently - 7 days is next, eh?

fml

I've never been muted or been put into lpq because I'm usually pretty friendly but I'm really tempted with that lol link. Hilarious.

Damn, that's cold.

A friend started doing that recently. You can sometime see results almost immediately when the first "report xxx" comes out a couple minutes later. I think he's seen that SirActionSlacks video.

Zeth

I'm always the guy trying to calm everyone - when 3 people on my team are saying gg fukkin noobs because it's 0-4 at 10 min and they genuinely think it's impossible to win. Never fails to amaze me how little it takes to make someone intentionally feed because they didn't get their ideal start. It's a pain in the ass but is occasionally gratifying when we turn things around and I carry them to victory.

I do try to sow doubt in the opposing team when they make obvious mistakes. eg: "nice tp" when taking towers.

The other day I beat a Nyx who went no starting items into naked dagon. Though I think I'm still in the trench of people literally playing their first game, which is painful.

traveler

Not Wario
Checking to see what the attending GAFfer accommodation arrangements are at the moment. Long story short, I need to fly out to Seattle to look for housing for relocation in case a recent final interview process does materialize into an offer. (was hoping to know last Monday, but complications have delayed the final decision to this week- meaning I potentially will not know until the day the tourney begins)

I'm trying to arrange the trip around the International, since I have a ticket, but doing this this last minute means hotels are gone and flights are outrageous. Just checking to see if there are any potential openings left on hotels or whatever to explore all avenues. Flight is just going to be rough no matter what.

Also, do we have any idea what the ending time for days is going to be like? I know last year they were finishing pretty late, but there's a bit less packed into each day this year. Dota site tells me nothing on this and it's relevant in case I go for a Seatac hotel and need to take the Line, which stops running late at night, back out to the hotel.

Kreunt

Banned
I try to stay pretty polite unless they start shit, then I'll counter troll the shit out of them.

Had an enemy bane keep unpausing/being an asshole while one of my teammates was having troubles, didn't give us any time at all.
As soon as he died the first time I started slinging shit at him, we won, he ended the game 1-12.
Quality Dota.

Ketch

The main event is gonna be bonkers. I think, as a group, we should try to decide which side of the stadium to sit on.... And then someone needs to commit to bringing a big ass Neogaf sign.

Once I get on my computer later today I'll try to head something up I guess.

Hylian7

I say "ez top, ez not" in 1v1 mid mode.

Sometimes I've become basically an encouraging drill sergeant, like that time I was Tinker and we had an intentional feeding Sand King and I basically said, "Listen Sandy Klaws, we will win this game, even if I have to rip off your stupid scorpion tail and whack the other team's buildings with it. I will drag you kicking and screaming to victory. BELIEVE IN THE MIRACLES!"

And then we won.

Zeknurn

Last pick Huskar decides to go for the rune the that enemy Earthshaker is guarding. He gets fissured and nuked by the the Skywrath Mage standing on the high ground. After giving up first blood he then goes afk and gets an abandon.

Dota.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I say "ez top, ez not" in 1v1 mid mode.

Sometimes I've become basically an encouraging drill sergeant, like that time I was Tinker and we had an intentional feeding Sand King and I basically said, "Listen Sandy Klaws, we will win this game, even if I have to rip off your stupid scorpion tail and whack the other team's buildings with it. I will drag you kicking and screaming to victory. BELIEVE IN THE MIRACLES!"

And then we won.

And then you made it to 4k

I'm so sorry

manfestival

I like to say
"gg git gud"
or just plain "git gud"
sometimes I will say "go back to playing dawngate/heart of the storm"
"easiest game of my life"
"thanks for the game guys, have a great day"(I think this is the most insulting one tbh lol)

Last pick Huskar decides to go for the rune the that enemy Earthshaker is guarding. He gets fissured and nuked by the the Skywrath Mage standing on the high ground. After giving up first blood he then goes afk and gets an abandon.

Dota.

How does a huskar die to skywrath and earthshaker.

Dude Abides

Banned
Doing the ten hero challenge really showed me how rewarding it is to try different heroes. Windranger is pretty fun! Unfortunately my last one is Invoker.

Chris R

80% to 90% of games you'll never had to invoke more than 3 or 4 spells and you'll do fine.

Yep, just pick QW, QE or WE and go to town (don't try to level all three equally, you end up pretty weak)

I really like QE for first time Invokers, plenty of regen during the laning phase and forge spirits for pushing power. QW is the popular build now though/

Fuchsdh

I think the most frustrating thing for me when playing is having a team that just won't push. We lead a team of heavy carries something like 30-15 by midgame, pushed and destroyed middle rax and then… my team wouldn't commit to a push. Void would be off farming, other people would splinter off. Some of us would get picked off but we'd crush them when they pushed… but they still would not counter, which lead to us losing two base towers and rax since if they ever got close to pushing, they'd only move down the middle. We ended up winning twenty minutes after it should have been a clean win by the skin of our teeth.

The feeling of being on the edge of losing a won game is way more frustrating to me than losing because someone massively fed or the other team just outplayed you.

Mohasus

I think the most frustrating thing for me when playing is having a team that just won't push. We lead a team of heavy carries something like 30-15 by midgame, pushed and destroyed middle rax and then… my team wouldn't commit to a push. Void would be off farming, other people would splinter off. Some of us would get picked off but we'd crush them when they pushed… but they still would not counter, which lead to us losing two base towers and rax since if they ever got close to pushing, they'd only move down the middle. We ended up winning twenty minutes after it should have been a clean win by the skin of our teeth.

The feeling of being on the edge of losing a won game is way more frustrating to me than losing because someone massively fed or the other team just outplayed you.

I usually say "I'm farming a divine rapier and if we don't win before I finish it, I'll probably die and lose it. So let's push please."

Works everytime.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Doing the ten hero challenge really showed me how rewarding it is to try different heroes. Windranger is pretty fun! Unfortunately my last one is Invoker.

The compendium is solely responsible for getting me into Meepo and Lone Druid. Was so scared to touch both of those heroes before but now I actively look for opportunities to play both of them.

Hylian7

I usually say "I'm farming a divine rapier and if we don't win before I finish it, I'll probably die and lose it. So let's push please."

Works everytime.
Are you sure? I could see that horribly backfiring.

"Report X, I AFK."

Also, anyone from Spanish-GAF have any idea what "CTM" means? I see South American players use it all the time, yet I frequently queue with bilingual English/Spanish speakers and they have no idea what it means (while laughing at their horrible Spanish)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This is what I'm running into currently also, only I usually play in a five-stack

Mohasus

Are you sure? I could see that horribly backfiring.

"Report X, I AFK."

Also, anyone from Spanish-GAF have any idea what "CTM" means? I see South American players use it all the time, yet I frequently queue with bilingual English/Spanish speakers and they have no idea what it means (while laughing at their horrible Spanish)

Well, usually if you have to force your team to push you are ahead, so people don't want to throw the game.

CTM = concha tu madre = your mother's cunt (Literally) or motherfucker.

Hylian7

Well, usually if you have to force your team to push you are ahead, so people don't want to throw the game.

CTM = concha tu madre = your mother's cunt (Literally) or motherfucker.
I remind you of the Daedalus Shadow Shaman and feeding Morphing that lost us a game.

I had no idea that was what CTM meant. Makes sense though.

Fuchsdh

Works everytime.

I recently got a "I'm butthurt I didn't get my lane so I'm just going to farm Divine and then suicide" rage. That was interesting (still ended up winning, couldn't get divine in time to spite us.)

The other thing I've noticed recently is people getting angry at me that I'm not buying them trees in addition to wards and courier… ffs people I'm a support not "do everything for you."

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
How is playing 15 games not a representative reflection of your current level? I really enjoyed how tense the group stage was and I like the fact that teams can get eliminated easily if they screw up. Makes things so tense. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the low bracket system - losing in a knockout stage should eliminate you right away. No different than any other sports really and keeps the tension super high.

I'm not the one actually playing out the bo1's and I'm not as knowledgeable as a pro, so I'll just quote iceiceice's view, which I think is pretty spot on:

iceiceice on bo1's said:
I thought alliance and fnatic would have made it, those two are really great teams, even empire. BO1 is really random. I think dota 2 is made for best of 2's, because there is radiant and dire, first and second pick, so I would say it is really unfair to make it bo1 for the group stages. I guess it's fun and chaotic for the viewers though... I think Valve has done a great job hosting a tournament and everything, but I think bo2 would be better...bo2 is just fairer for the top teams, maybe unfair for the lower tier teams...the best teams adapt and stuff, no cheese... I think bo3 is just much better for every single team out there, you are going to see the real strength of the team in bo3.

I tend to agree with him, and I don't think it's comparable to real sports, because you don't really have an asymmetric stadium/field in real sports. Also, to eliminate any wind, perspective, or whatever possible side advantage, most sports switch sides after halftime just to make the game is as fair as possible. You can't do this in dota without a new game, hence a bo2 being a more fair format, giving both sides a shot at their favored side/pick.

No one is saying playing 15 games isn't a representation of skill, it is for this particular tournament because that's the way Valve chose. The argument is that it isn't the best representation of skill, and there are perhaps better, or more fair formats for a game like dota. The only issue with bo2's is probably the time constraint, and it''s up to Valve how they want to balance time/"fairness," will be interesting to see how they alter the format for next year, if at all.

Top Bottom