• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

I see a lot of people complaining about finding lots of idiots in Captains Mode, but so far 90% of my wins have been while playing it. I actually found some cool and friendly players who are communicative in it.

CM and CD are generally games of higher quality than AP in my experience, even the ones you lose are generally not as depressing as the AP games. Also, when you're drafting, the feeling after a game that you won a game by outdrafting the enemy team is pretty cool.

inkls

I think the worst teammates i've had in CM were generally those who went on to do something else during the draft and came back complaining about it or taking the hero from someone else.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Man, I might be totally off here, but I think Bounty is tragically impactless on the off lane or any lane for that matter. Such a weak pick at the moment in pubs. Can't win a game with a BH on my team to save my life. Likewise, playing against one is so easy, I almost feel bad for free farming as well as threatening to kill him every time he approaches the creep wave. One dust is usually all it takes. The hero does so little.

I agree, the hero just doesn't stand up to the fast push that's usually expected these days and doesn't have as much mid-game punch (not to mention survivability) as some of the other off-laners out there. He comes out of the offlane with boots and a soulring/bottle at 10 minutes and then just sits there helplessly, tracking as tower after tower dies.

I'd go as far as saying he needs something like double all the bounty numbers on his track to be useful. It's hard to win 5v5 fights with a BH on your team as it is, but if you manage to do it, it really should be a more enormous gold swing than it currently is.

Sanjay

Good advice.

laugh.gif

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Free money and vision of critical enemies for your whole team for <100 mana is underwhelming?

you need kills to claim the money and what's vision going to do against a team who is always in vision because they are 5 man bulldozing your towers 15 minutes in

Hylian7

you need kills to claim the money and what's vision going to do against a team who is always in vision because they are 5 man bulldozing your towers 15 minutes in
Get your team money to catch up if your team can successfully take some or all of them down.

If that is the problem then your draft probably has problems beyond BH.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Get your team money to catch up if your team can successfully take some or all of them down.

If that is the problem then your draft probably has problems beyond BH.

the problem with the draft usually is BH who doesn't contribute much to a teamfight in the current meta that is all about early game 5v5 fights

don't get me wrong, i love the hero, but he has a lot of issues in this metagame

Artanisix

the problem with the draft usually is BH who doesn't contribute much to a teamfight in the current meta that is all about early game 5v5 fights

don't get me wrong, i love the hero, but he has a lot of issues in this metagame

doesn't mean he needs buffs.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
doesn't mean he needs buffs.

ofc it doesn't but who doesn't love buffs to fun heroes, especially relatively ignored ones

icefrog seems to nerf the popular/buff the unpopular regardless of relative power these days. i honestly don't feel like tinker, void, or razor deserve nerfs, but I honestly won't be surprised if they get something minor anyway and I won't shed any tears regardless (same deal with old PL, spiritbreaker, etc...).

Reckoner

CM and CD are generally games of higher quality than AP in my experience, even the ones you lose are generally not as depressing as the AP games. Also, when you're drafting, the feeling after a game that you won a game by outdrafting the enemy team is pretty cool.

That's the funny part of it. Today I got into a game where we counter picked really well and their team was a mess. Half way in they just started flaming their captain "report captain pls". Hilarious.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
i still remember a year or two ago just before the rise of cancer where undying/bh were fp/fb for about a week

TUSR

Banned
I think the worst teammates i've had in CM were generally those who went on to do something else during the draft and came back complaining about it or taking the hero from someone else.

This is pretty standard in CM up until mid/low 4k where people actually figure out they need to work as a team. Working together on a draft with heroes that people excel is probably the most important part of CM. You still run into people that don't know how to play really easy heroes.

That's the funny part of it. Today I got into a game where we counter picked really well and their team was a mess. Half way in they just started flaming their captain "report captain pls". Hilarious.

Again, standard CM. You can't report for a bad draft unfortunately.

Artanisix

I agree, the hero just doesn't stand up to the fast push that's usually expected these days and doesn't have as much mid-game punch (not to mention survivability) as some of the other off-laners out there. He comes out of the offlane with boots and a soulring/bottle at 10 minutes and then just sits there helplessly, tracking as tower after tower dies.

I'd go as far as saying he needs something like double all the bounty numbers on his track to be useful. It's hard to win 5v5 fights with a BH on your team as it is, but if you manage to do it, it really should be a more enormous gold swing than it currently is.

ofc it doesn't but who doesn't love buffs to fun heroes, especially relatively ignored ones

icefrog seems to nerf the popular/buff the unpopular regardless of relative power these days. i honestly don't feel like tinker, void, or razor deserve nerfs, but I honestly won't be surprised if they get something minor anyway and I won't shed any tears regardless (same deal with old PL, spiritbreaker, etc...).

ok then

Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't realize that heroes were so flexible in this game. I've read about the priority farming system, but I didn't realize it's really up to the players to decide who gets what. League has such a static meta that it's hard to imagine such variety. Thanks to both of you for the tips, though I don't plan on bringing Lich mid again any time soon (farming is too painful) the info you passed on will certainly be put to good use. I appreciate it. :)
im on my phone but normally here id link you to a bunch of games showing carry lich to be the best thing ever

inkls

This is pretty standard in CM up until mid/low 4k where people actually figure out they need to work as a team. Working together on a draft with heroes that people excel is probably the most important part of CM. You still run into people that don't know how to play really easy heroes.

Again, standard CM. You can't report for a bad draft unfortunately.

How would you describe your cm draft experience?

inkls and i are op

http://dotabuff.com/matches/779758698

didn't think we'd be able to defend against both np and tinker late game but it worked out. omni ult saved our asses every team fight

We did it through the power of:

I drafted for a CD game the other day and was bitched at because "this isn't TI4 we aren't going to land that kind of combo."

The combo in question was Tree and Kunkka.
She also ended up being right and we got stomped.

Those freakin sound proof glass booths :OOOOOOOOOO
Not sound proof. Tobi said during the EU hub that they've tested every booth during setup every year and the players can always hear everything. Only way to make it legitimately soundproof would be to have the booths located in another part of the arena. Volume and vibrations are just too much.

TUSR

Banned
How would you describe your cm draft experience?

It really all depends if I choose captain or let someone else. I always give and take suggestions from the team, getting initial dialog going with the team helps me draft for our strengths and weaknesses.

If I know what heroes people are comfortable with, I can draft into the meta and do really good counter picks. If my team cannot play heroes comfortably I try to get the other team to draft into our comfort zone.

Its hit and miss, 30-40% of the time when I don't pick captain we end up with a really weird draft with no synergy or purpose. It will always be a struggle, but compared to AP I find CM games easier to win.

I honestly don't think i've ever been flamed for any of my drafts which is really surprising now that I think about it.

Rubick that maxes levitate first in All Random Deathmatch. Is this real life?

I would hope you know how to play all the heroes or atleast hit the book in the top left corner before you queue for mode that isn't even listed without a console command.

Spookie

you know what has to be done

image.php

Ironically my last loss was on ES. I couldn't counter my PL running in to PA, who had a gem mind you, with little more than a defusal when she was 6 slotted. I must have broken a mirror or something this week.

Take advantage that everyone loves you for that post yesterday and get carried by a 5-stack. ez

I legitimately like playing support and often stomp when I'm sorting the wards/swaps out for a pre made. :(

(30 mins left on that raffle too I think)

[Tinkering intensifies]

I don't think I have the coordination. I'd have more luck learning Invoker through muscle memory.

Reckoner

Six losses in a row. Why oh why did I never learn to play mid?

I feel like I'm not a good mid too, even though I have had some success with Puck, Storm Spirit and Queen of Pain. Even with Pugna. I just try to take as much runes as I can, buy a bottle and go help ganking whenever I reach level 6. And the usual stuff: farm and deny creeps.

Acinixys

Nothing beats having a asshole rager on your team who screams at EVERYONE ELSE, even though hes the one feeding, end up on the other team who you then stomp while making it your missing to focus and kill him 1st every fight

Top Bottom