• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Has anyone got a fantasy league I could join? If not would anyone be interested in joining mine? I can create one if there's 9 other people. I mostly want the compendium points.

Wok

Merlini's compendium predictions for the main event:
Imre5Mu.jpg
PbmbnTy.jpg

weslee541

Neo Member
I am new to the game and have been using ogre magi. I have been doing fairly well with him and I want to know what other supports are good for newcomers.

inkls

I am new to the game and have been using ogre magi. I have been doing fairly well with him and I want to know what other supports are good for newcomers.

I dont think its possible to find a more skillful hero than ogre magi, but lich is also good

Venomancer, wind runner will teach you a lot about good positioning and enable you to harass. If you're more into melee maybe treant protector, good for teaching you to use the mini map and track the whole battle.

Venomancer, wind runner will teach you a lot about good positioning and enable you to harass. If you're more into melee maybe treant protector, good for teaching you to use the mini map and track the whole battle.

lol, Venomancer and Wind runner are not ideal beginner heroes, Wind runner moreso than Veno.

crystal maiden

not farm intensive, her spells are easy to use, she can gank all by herself, your aura helps the team, good positioning is key otherwise you blow up, etc.

She's also pretty useless. Yes, she's great for learning about the mechanics of being a support, and other various things, but more than that, she falls off HARD. That int nerf hit her hard.

Ties

Banned
crystal maiden

not farm intensive, her spells are easy to use, she can gank all by herself, your aura helps the team, good positioning is key otherwise you blow up, etc.
She's also pretty useless. Yes, she's great for learning about the mechanics of being a support, and other various things, but more than that, she falls off HARD. That int nerf hit her hard.
yeah i know

doesn't change the fact she's a very good intro to support players. doesn't really matter honestly right now because the guy is fairly new to the game so using the absolute top tier support heroes as of right now won't really help him that much

Hylian7

lol, Venomancer and Wind runner are not ideal beginner heroes, Wind runner moreso than Veno.
Veno is pretty straightforward for a beginner, sure, they won't know things like "don't use level 1 wards because you will just feed them." His skills are simple.

WR on the other hand looks easy, but you will whiff shackle after shackle, plus it requires an understanding of evasion, and what it does and doesn't do.

Acinixys

CM uselss?

Bitch pls

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
With sniper, venomancer, and viper keeping those farm numbers up is relatively easy. It's just that the Lich's autoattack is so ridiculously awkward. I ended up buying mana regen items and farming with his spells because it was literally all I could think to do. Obviously this wasn't optimal, but I was thrown in to a new situation.
Some things about Lich:
You can push waves well with a nuke a and ice armoring the focused melee creep.

You defend well by ice armoring towers. Your nuke slow is brutal.

You have infinite Mana from sacrifice so don't buy mama regen. Get team items like mek if your team doesn't have one, force staff to punish or save heroes, and aghs if you ball out of control (CD scales with level so just throw it if you are 16 and see out of position people).

Your Ult cancels TPs on hit.

Oracle > CM

Wouldn't that make every support useless though since Oracle > * ? Not playable yet anyway, probably will be nerfed a bunch more before he's actually added. I'd like the other support that's not here yet see how it plays out, frost wyrm or whatever, looks kinda meh but more support is always good. Oracle and Zet can wait until they're remotely balanced.

inkls

Wouldn't that make every support useless though since Oracle > * ? Not playable yet anyway, probably will be nerfed a bunch more before he's actually added. I'd like the other support that's not here yet see how it plays out, frost wyrm or whatever, looks kinda meh but more support is always good. Oracle and Zet can wait until they're remotely balanced.

dude, have you seen wyvern's ult? Go google that crap right away. Every hero gets a balance patch when they're added (ex:tb and phoenix). You also forgot abyssal underlord.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
In honor of Spookie being an awesome, generous, handsome human being and because TI4 - here's a special Dota 2 themed Dota 2 thread giveaway. Feel free to enter for as much as you want.

ModBot said:
Instructions for dave is ok:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 21 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Strife Closed Beta Key -- MB-634D8F42FADC0E64
Gratuitous Spacecow Battles -- MB-7CB560FDF219F46C - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
Nyx Meiers Nyxilization 3: Complete -- MB-F70B8FFD5F4027C6
Qopamelee: Gold Edition -- MB-2151BB0C8D3B7817
Mafio II -- MB-1A275BDCA03B217D
Antimagechamber -- MB-B3B102C9B5407D0C - Taken by JakkuFurosu. 1 entrants total.
Stacking -- MB-0BF42D1BA6497434 - Taken by Egamer
FEZzzzzap -- MB-E5BCB524BC26ACEB - Taken by Ventara. 1 entrants total.
Serious Sven HD: The First Encounter -- MB-EBF54263E00BB4FB
Ogre Magicka Plus DLC -- MB-257279C538E41814
Bioslark -- MB-E999BE6C07E78CDB - Taken by KevinRo
Axenomaly 2 -- MB-D26EC1DBCB2A5B5E - Taken by Ezalc. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Fed Space (Origin) -- MB-678C29D718DE7BE6
Rubicko: What's Yours is Mine -- MB-F08D1D96C72F76EA - Taken by DaBargainHunta
Crystalis 2: Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-4561DD0F7106B552 - Taken by MMBosstones86. 2 entrants total.
Bioslark 2 -- MB-626D7F538501321E - Taken by 1.09
Dust of Appearance: An Elysian Tail -- MB-18B92FEAFF8D9765
Serious Sven HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-AD0643CCC73AC0D2
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Baradise: Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-D14A9364280C74BA
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Double Edge (Origin) -- MB-8405E93D24478612
vRvbDCu.png
Medallion of Honor (Origin) -- MB-DAF6597FB1FDD64C

t1405641304z1.png

kiyomi

Just finished my 1st ever game of this, we lost but I ended up with almost as many last hits as anyone else, and more denies than the rest of my team put together.

am i to do good doto

Does Ursa's Enrage and Overpower both make global sounds? Do you need vision of him, within certain range, etc...?
Enrage is global, overpower isn't I'm pretty sure.

Some just have a large sound aoe like clinkz fire arrows.

Just finished my 1st ever game of this, we lost but I ended up with almost as many last hits as anyone else, and more denies than the rest of my team put together.

am i to do good doto

u so good

Quesa

thx mango

But yeah I love this game already. Is there some GAF DOTA that would take a noob like me?

*bats eyelashes*

Depends on where you're playing, but if you're US I'm sure steve, inkls, that handsome quesa, and few others'd play with you.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Steve, why aren't you online on Steam, how am I supposed to pester you about how we plan on doing any sort of meet up.

I did it! 100 wins!

4SFsosf.png

More or less:
vedVRru.png

I wouldn't say Keeper of the Light is a good beginner support, he requires solid positioning and preferably good team communication. Instead, I'd like to recommend the Jakiro you blurred out. He's very well rounded and not that hard to use. The biggest execution barriers are landing Ice Paths and doing the Eul's > Macropyre > Ice Path combo, neither of which is particularly hard. He's also relatively tanky and sustainable, especially for a support, who tend to be squishy and mana hungry. Lastly, he doesn't fall off as hard as straight nuking supports (Lich, Crystal Maiden) since he has strong attack speed slows and a good stun.

Chris R

New chest will be in the store after TI4 is done right?

Don't want to buy/open any until I'm home (unsure if I'm taking my laptop)

Top Bottom