• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Ummm, if the community gets active enough, Valve will listen. Or Riot, or S2, or whoever develops your Moba of choice. Look at the Diretide fiasco, people made their voices heard and Valve responded. If everyone is quiet and accepts it then nothing changes, which is sort of my point about the whole thing. "Get over it", "ignore it", "don't play" aren't solutions, it's just avoidance.

Also a good idea.

I can tell you right now the community is active. The dota 2 dev forum has many posts on shit like this. If i remember correctly they even have a thread dedicated to toxic shit players.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can tell you right now the community is active. The dota 2 dev forum has many posts on shit like this. If i remember correctly they even have a thread dedicated to toxic shit players.

That's good to hear (but let's be honest, it's not getting the sort of action or media play like Diretide did). I'll check out the DotA dev forum.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just accidentally started a minor twitch meme when I called Synderen lazy in Qojqva's chat.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
You're letting people who threaten others with death or rape get away with their actions.

I've played over 1200 games of Dota 2 and I've never encountered anything that I would actually consider a death or rape threat.

Some dickhead saying "I hope you die" or "fucking kill yourself" in an online game isn't a death threat. There's absolutely no threat posed. Why should you be intimidated by somebody on the Internet who doesn't even know who you are or where you live?

If somebody contacts you privately after a game and continues to make harassing comments or implies knowledge of your real life identity, then you would be justified in being bothered IMO.

Sanjay

sad.gif

iMNWFPDzsIPpQ.jpg

woodland

That's good to hear (but let's be honest, it's not getting the sort of action or media play like Diretide did). I'll check out the DotA dev forum.

Exactly, because people don't care. If someone insults me? Oh well, it's the internet, it won't ruin my day. No matter what you do there's too many people that play this game you have contact with from others places. In real life it's the same thing, if you throw 8million players in a big area and expose yourself to 9 at of time and expect to do something teamwork based, I guarantee people will blame you. Maybe not out loud, but in there head they will.

The internet gives that anonymity a voice in Dota like it does in everything. You think this doesn't exist just as poorly in other games? There's a million mexican based slurs in Halo. In CoD you're called a little bitch and people message you. Unless you mute every word and only allow communication through the chat wheel (which would kill the game), then this kind of flame will always exist.

As everyone else said, grow a thicker skin. You've been given tools to mute people, use them. It's not going to go away, individual Dota players aren't professional athletes that are going to be held responsible for their words and honestly? I wouldn't want them to. 99% of players are emotional and don't mean it beyond temporarily being mad they lost. The 1% that do and harass you beyond that, you know what you do? Report them, block them, and move on with your life.

I hate to break it to you but - life goes on.

Exactly, because people don't care. If someone insults me? Oh well, it's the internet, it won't ruin my day. No matter what you do there's too many people that play this game you have contact with from others places. In real life it's the same thing, if you throw 8million players in a big area and expose yourself to 9 at of time and expect to do something teamwork based, I guarantee people will blame you. Maybe not out loud, but in there head they will.

The internet gives that anonymity a voice in Dota like it does in everything. You think this doesn't exist just as poorly in other games? There's a million mexican based slurs in Halo. In CoD you're called a little bitch and people message you. Unless you mute every word and only allow communication through the chat wheel (which would kill the game), then this kind of flame will always exist.

As everyone else said, grow a thicker skin. You've been given tools to mute people, use them. It's not going to go away, individual Dota players aren't professional athletes that are going to be held responsible for their words and honestly? I wouldn't want them to. 99% of players are emotional and don't mean it beyond temporarily being mad they lost. The 1% that do and harass you beyond that, you know what you do? Report them, block them, and move on with your life.

I hate to break it to you but - life goes on.
Let's hope Valve is more creative than you or I when it comes to takings steps to reduce the frequency of these issues. If they're looking at it like, "mute is enough for them", it's already a lost battle. No, I think they're looking at it like Riot is. They have behavioral psychologists on staff helping them come up with ways to make the community healthier for their game. Even simple videos like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugXC7g3p0JU

Are something Valve could make and could resonate with people.

Let's hope Valve is more creative than you or I when it comes to takings steps to reduce the frequency of these issues. If they're looking at it like, "mute is enough for them", it's already a lost battle. No, I think they're looking at it like Riot is. They have behavioral psychologists on staff helping them come up with ways to make the community healthier for their game. Even simple videos like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugXC7g3p0JU

Are something Valve could make and could resonate with people.

Valve does do a lot of work on these sorts of things (atleast from their talks at Steam Dev Days), even though it might not seem like it. Just from the sort of stuff they say they'd rather engineer a system that makes the problem disappear "voluntarily" rather than try to do "community maintenance" to remove toxicitiy, sort of like their attitude towards customer support or the Steam storefront. If they don't do anything at all and stay in a long period of denial when their system is obviously broken, like with Greenlight, then I can see a problem, but I hope they find some sort of creative way to remedy the problem or sidestep it entirely.

Though having a second South American server will immediately improve the quality of games on NA servers, and I don't think Valve will ever bother with that, so who knows.

Nymerio

It was me rattling and in addition to Wok's post.
Oh, sorry ^^
There are people who play to play and there's a point where they get diminishing returns at getting better if they just don't know what to do.
If he doesn't want to work at improving it is what it is. I like learning and improving so I go after this kind of info.

This really sucks. He's an alright guy otherwise but it can be really fucking annoying if you have to accommodate someone like that. I'm not even the only one in our group who's voiced something like this :(

Quesa

I have a relatively simple (and incredibly dumb) idea for a mod. Wonder if I could do it over the weekend.

While I'm working, someeone check: Can you give control of one unit to all ten players?

Man, awesome job Valve on the toolset. Hopefully there's an Enfo port in the work. I haven't made maps in a serious way (mainly fooling around with triggers as a kid in SC) but I know a bit of programming so maybe I should try my hand at it.

Smilax

How does someone play Offlane PA? Do they just last hit with Dagger, what items do they build, whats the skill build? I kinda wanna try it!
smile.gif

Quesa

How does someone play Offlane PA? Do they just last hit with Dagger, what items do they build, whats the skill build? I kinda wanna try it!
smile.gif

Bully someone into picking CM

Win lane by harassing with dagger with CM aura

build whatever you want thats how hard you won your lane (helm/bkb/situational dmg item)

God what the hell is wrong with the DotA community lately? Want to smash my head against a concrete wall, what drives people to randomly start abusing others? It's the usual "fuck you fucking faggot" shit, only from every other player in the game except myself + party members, and every game for the past two weeks. Might be time to uninstall for a while...

Wish this game had a zero tolerance policy on abusive chat.

Honestly I feel that this in game's community is in line with most other online games and even some stuff in RL (I've played pick up ball at parks with worse behavior than the shit I see in DOTA). It's kinda just how the internet is. Now obviously there are exceptions like TF2 but they are the exception and not the rule. Could the community be better? Sure, but until then, it's honestly easier to just tune them out. Also, over the two years I've played DOTA, I've built up quite a sizeable list of people I can group with just by playing games, communicating well and not flaming. If I don't want to solo queue, my friend list is big enough for me to play with like minded people.

That said...it's always fun to troll ragers, rude people and idiots every once in awhile (be creative!)

For example, as a new dog owner...I've started talking to rude people like how I would talk to my dog.

*Invoker pings my hero- "tango now"
I walk to a far set of racks
"You want a tango??? Here boy...here invoker...come and get your tasty tree"
"Who's a good boy? come on..over here boy.."
whistle for good measure.
ping my position.

They never say anything and never take up my offer.

If they're super rude...I just talk to them like I talk to my dog the whole game. It's surprisingly effective.

ominator

Neo Member
So this night my Dota decided to not work properly.
When I connect to a game, right before the "pick hero"-screen the game just closes and I'm on my desktop, without any error-messages. It will do it again if I try to reconnect. Sometime I can reconnect, but the "pick hero"-screen is super buggy:

best thing is: I got a tons of penalty and still couldn't work it out...

Top Bottom