• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Randdalf

Edit: Let me do some more local testing first and then I'll set something up.

6R03hQn.png

I have the alpha tools installed

http://steamcommunity.com/id/randdalf

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
- Better Matchmaking.
- Region locked.

There. Fixed.
Giv moni valve.

As much as people enjoy blaming people from other countries for their losses, I'm sorry to inform you that there are just as many idiots playing in the US. Additionally, those of us that play with friends from other countries will never want region locking.

With regard to "impolite" people in matchmaking, zero tolerance will never happen. It's very difficult to enforce well and the massive amount of bans that ensue would generate an equally massive amount of appeals and stink on reddit, dev forums, what have you. Everyone banned would clamor for whomever reported them to be banned and themselves unbanned, claiming it was retaliatory, whatever. It would be a complete mess. And where do you draw the line on what is ban worthy? The current report system actually works very well despite how often it is simply disregarded in these discussions. People who consistently flame and who are then consistently reported by responsible players get chat banned. When I played Solo ranked I used this function whenever I felt it was really necessary, and often got the "taken action" notifications in return.

Deadly

As much as people enjoy blaming people from other countries for their losses, I'm sorry to inform you that there are just as many idiots playing in the US. Additionally, those of us that play with friends from other countries will never want region locking.
This. Honestly, it's worst when you get flamers that speak your own language because you can actual understand it and then you have to resort to muting him. If a person starts flaming in spanish I just don't give a fuck.

Zeth

Steam Cape still prevents Drow's MoM animation. I don't have much hope - most little cosmetic quirks like this end up permanent if they're not changed after a few weeks.

Another one is the Perceptions of the Eternal Mind - you can't get the Viridus Claw portrait/loadout pose which is way better than the new hunched over one. I'm so salty that I sold that and it's now up to 3x what I payed.

Quesa

Theory: Valve don't really know what to do with HL3 in terms of gameplay so they're going to make it the graphical showcase for Source 2 and that's why they waited so long. Maybe they'll use f-stop or whatever in it too.

mkenyon

Banned
mkenyon's guide to making Dota 2 a better community:

Always be nice. Always. Even when your team is mad, and people are being dicks, ignore the hate, and give them even more love.

Hylian7

I think the real frustration with players that don't speak your language is the lack of full communication with them. Chat wheel, pings, and drawing are great but only get you so far. Sometimes things need further clarifying, which usually can't be done with the chat wheel. For instance say your Axe gets a guy really low, within culling range, and you have a Bloodseeker on your team. The low guy made it to his T2, it is 6 minutes in and Axe is level 6. It's just you and Axe, the rest of your team is bottom, as well as 3 members of the other team. The missing one is Pudge and Axe has half health. Naturally Axe wants to go for the dunk, but you try to tell him to back off. If he understood you, you could alert him there is a 90% chance Pudge is there waiting for freebie.

Situations like this are what is frustrating.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep. Language barriers suck.

There are people who make an effort with at least single words and pings to get across the idea. In the situation described above, you'll have people that just go off, die, and ping at you for not going forward with them. Then there might be someone who just pings like mad and repeats "PUDGE CARE" with a heavy accent.

That latter one is someone that I can at least play a game with. I'd still prefer not to, as managing my team's morale is just as important to me as the actual game, and the language barrier kills that ability for me.

Zoon

I think the real frustration with players that don't speak your language is the lack of full communication with them. Chat wheel, pings, and drawing are great but only get you so far. Sometimes things need further clarifying, which usually can't be done with the chat wheel. For instance say your Axe gets a guy really low, within culling range, and you have a Bloodseeker on your team. The low guy made it to his T2, it is 6 minutes in and Axe is level 6. It's just you and Axe, the rest of your team is bottom, as well as 3 members of the other team. The missing one is Pudge and Axe has half health. Naturally Axe wants to go for the dunk, but you try to tell him to back off. If he understood you, you could alert him there is a 90% chance Pudge is there waiting for freebie.

You ping him like crazy and after he dies you spam >Well Played!
Kappa

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
on that note make sure 1.09 isn't on your team if you have thin skin

I owe my life to 1.09. I got in a horrible car crash and i was in 6 month coma. The nurse switched to the mumble channel to 109's room. I awoke from my coma just to muted it. True story so please no copy pasterino

Kard8p3

You literally ping him and say "b, pudge." if he dies it's because he's retarded and there was nothing you could do to help it.

Zeth

mkenyon's guide to making Dota 2 a better community:

Always be nice. Always. Even when your team is mad, and people are being dicks, ignore the hate, and give them even more love.

This is exactly what I've always done. 100%. If anything, maybe I've angered some people by not dogpiling on whatever player I was supposed to. Or by explaining that everyone has good and bad games. I think it actually might be a form of trolling if you want to get really meta. But I've had some success with it.

Low Tier
If you're doing the Naruto map you have to emulate the like 12 different game crashing bugs too. Nothing was better then having 5 different people pop ultimates and having the game crash.

Hylian7

Region lock is absolutely not the answer. I regularly queue with someone in Chile. Stuff like the chat wheel is a huge step in right direction, however there are still cases where it won't cut it, and honestly I don't think it is something that can be solved without harming the game.

Hylian7

I'm probably going to start on an Invoker battleship game I've had in my head for a while. Basically you get different units that give you arsenals of spells for Invoker blindly cast and try to hit the opponent's units. There would be stuff like sunstrike, global chaos meteor, and others.

G.ZZZ

On a different note, ranked should be solo only. Ranked party is meaningless and it's just home to abusers and shit. This way you'd have shorter queue times too cause all stacks would play together in unranked.

Quesa

Whoever said to remove the gyro aghs effect is right. That shit is so useless and ppl who build it are basically -1 on the team.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Icefrog just needs to buff it even further, so it's viable. Like Aghs Viper, and Aghs Void.

Aghanim Upgrade: Doubles speed of strikes, adds a third missile, every successive missile's AoE becomes larger and gives global cast range.

Top Bottom