• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I thank I have a simple mod that may share the gold to everyone on the team. Not really sure it works, need to get another copy of dota up. Wonder if I can still sandbox it, or maybe I'll have to pull the laptop out.

Nymerio

How do you teach someone how to support? I've got this friend who has more hours and games played than me but he can't play support in any capacity. Everytime he plays support I have to tell him exactly what to do. The only thing he does on his own is buy wards/courier at the start. But if I don't keep telling him to buy wards and what items to build he's useless. He went wtf on my when I told him to buy blink on Shadow Shaman (we won that game). In the next game he decides to skip blink and tries to initiate on a bkb legion commander why walking up to her and casting shakles (we lost that game) and in a 90 minute game where he played AA the only wards he placed where rune wards at the beginning of the game. Most of the game he was running around with to items: Boots and Ags. He's utterly useless as support but sometimes I just want to carry and someone else needs to sup. I don't understand how you can fuck basic stuff up after almost 1000 hours of play time.

Rant over.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/821119661

lmao the funniest game of the night! we had 1 lane of racks (mid) and they were ratting the fuck out of us/continued to get aegies and ended up taking all our racks. best part of it all was the visage saying "one more hit until you lose the game" (our mid range barracks had like 10hp) which gave them megas. we let our bristle stay back to handle the eventual backdoor from prophet and we all rushed down mid, killed them off and just throne'd it
happytears.gif

the terrorblade could only say "Wow" after the loss. it was hilarious.

My AM games are always stressful. 744 last hits. new record
laugh.gif
Visage? Why didn't he just have his birds kill it?
How do you teach someone how to support? I've got this friend who has more hours and games played than me but he can't play support in any capacity. Everytime he plays support I have to tell him exactly what to do. The only thing he does on his own is buy wards/courier at the start. But if I don't keep telling him to buy wards and what items to build he's useless. He went wtf on my when I told him to buy blink on Shadow Shaman (we won that game). In the next game he decides to skip blink and tries to initiate on a bkb legion commander why walking up to her and casting shakles (we lost that game) and in a 90 minute game where he played AA the only wards he placed where rune wards at the beginning of the game. Most of the game he was running around with to items: Boots and Ags. He's utterly useless as support but sometimes I just want to carry and someone else needs to sup. I don't understand how you can fuck basic stuff up after almost 1000 hours of play time.

Rant over.
Watch pro POV from Twitch VODs

I had a better support guide, but this is general okay practices and things to think about:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/29zdfi/how_to_quickly_step_up_your_shitty_support_game/

Wow, sniper is really easy to dominate with versus complete idiots, I guess that's why he's so popular in my matchmaking bracket and such a staple in the peru meta.

People just run at you down your lane, taking no effort to try and surprise or ambush you, and inevitably after losing half their health trying to run up to you and getting kited the whole way, they try to turn back which means losing even more health and an easy death to the fadeaway assassinate.

It's literally like playing a 90s FPS

elyetis

As much as I still hate having content most likely held from release just for the sake of making a big release patch for PR reason. ( and that's not only for dota 2 that I think that, I had the same opinion about ffxiv patch on their 3 month schedule, but at least for them we don't know for sure if their work flow would allow a better pace )

I can still only highly commend the fact that Valve did -what I would have expected from any other company- by sharing with us an actual estimation for the next patch/techies release.
Still a little sad that it took, again, some heavy complain from the community for them to wake up, but it's still an improvement from last year diretide fiasco.

It's still mind-blowing, in a very bad way, that it mean almost 7 month without a single hero release.

Nymerio

Watch pro POV from Twitch VODs

I had a better support guide, but this is general okay practices and things to think about:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/29zdfi/how_to_quickly_step_up_your_shitty_support_game/

Yeah. That's not going to happen. I'll pin that link in TS, but I don't think he's the kind of person to read stuff like that. This is probably annoying me more than it should, but I believe after 1k hours of play time you should be able to have some of the basics down.

ZeroX03

Banned
God what the hell is wrong with the DotA community lately? Want to smash my head against a concrete wall, what drives people to randomly start abusing others? It's the usual "fuck you fucking faggot" shit, only from every other player in the game except myself + party members, and every game for the past two weeks. Might be time to uninstall for a while...

Wish this game had a zero tolerance policy on abusive chat.

Tenck

You're playing the wrong genre is if you're letting that get to you. Why you're not muting everyone but the people you play with (friends you're queued up with) is confusing.

Sibylus

Banned
Some of this stuff is really simple. Set up the cost + recipe stuff of one of my items (detailed here) without touching any lua. This is all plaintext scripts:

i5gJoNZXBxZxL.png
iZuNyb8MYbql3.png

Later found the plaintext scripts for human-readable names and descriptions. Looks like I'll be able to all of the ability modding stuff without actually getting into lua.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wish this game had a zero tolerance policy on abusive chat.

Would lead to ghost towns. Current situation isn't great but a zero tolerance policy is also too extreme.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, my shared gold game mod now work and is on the workshop. Now if you gather a group of 10 people in the same location you can play it on lan. Whoooooo.

My gut says the system will completely fly off the rails if a player abandons and give everyone max gold, but there is no easy way to check

I assume online hosting will be along shortly in some form. The lua scripting doesn't seem to bad, over the next few weeks I'm sure people will make better documentation on what does what.

ZeroX03

Banned
You're playing the wrong genre is if you're letting that get to you. Why you're not muting everyone but the people you play with (friends you're queued up with) is confusing.

Because communication is a huge part of the game, and I shouldn't have to put up with insults regardless. "Fuck you cunts" is not the way to start any game. Saying "don't play the genre" is a really poor suggestion, it's not acceptable behavior in any situation.

EDIT: This is my 8th year of DotA, but many of those years were spent playing inhouse games. That isn't an option anymore.

Would lead to ghost towns. Current situation isn't great but a zero tolerance policy is also too extreme.

IIRC, GW2 had a pretty much instaban policy for a while that didn't hurt anything.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
GW2 isn't nearly as emotionally charged as DOTA2.

Tempers run high, I lose mine every now and then as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
As I've said before I've had like 2 bad apples in my 500 games. I don't know if I'm lucky or people just talk back slightly more than they should or what.
Yeah. That's not going to happen. I'll pin that link in TS, but I don't think he's the kind of person to read stuff like that. This is probably annoying me more than it should, but I believe after 1k hours of play time you should be able to have some of the basics down.
Support is a much harder mindset because you work off the actions of other players in your game and have to deal with hard set things like timings of pulls (and hp for double pulls) deciding whether to walk in aggro a camp (like healers, or accounting that ranged creeps attack then move for different timing) seeing kill potential in lane (You enact this as support), etc.
Main thing is learning you exist to own the first 10-15 minutes of a game and sitting in lane getting 4 denies and fucking over creep equilibrium by AA'ing their hero three times and losing 400 hp is NOT what playing support means.

I was support for something like 200/250 games and now I like winning more so I'm playing more mid/carry/offlane as it's easier to take advantage of farm on the map and use it. I can have a larger solo game impact.

Carry is so much easier it's not even funny. Just check to see if you'll die, if not, farm. If you aren't getting farm go to somewhere there is farm. TP when a side actually commits if you can help.

The majority of my mid experience is from playing Earth and Ember Spirit and reading these two things:
http://chaqdota.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/chaqs-ultimate-guide-to-advanced-solo-middle/
http://dotastrategies.tumblr.com/post/63110161888/dota2-early-game-middle-lane-gif-heavy

Before reading those and picking Earth I had no experience mid besides being thrown in there. doesn't surprise me if someone never learned a position. Jungle is probably my weakest.

I watch enough pro Dota that I feel like I have a good basic understanding of how to use heroes even if I have under 5 games with them (Which is like 70% of the heroes)

There are plenty of things with knowledge that will just 100% improve your play like how T1 Tower last hitting works (Avg 90 damage on Melee, 5 hits + AA = LH. For Ranged if your Base Damage >80 = probably 2 tower hits + 1 LH = kill, if under hit it twice between tower shots).
Knowing the math lets you get more LH early game under tower by checking creep HP.
There are a lot of stuff I don' t do. Thanks for the link.
More:
http://dotastrategies.tumblr.com/post/56172811673/a-quick-guide-to-dota-presence
http://dotastrategies.tumblr.com/post/60044683358/dota2-early-game-harassing
http://dotastrategies.tumblr.com/post/57304805147/general-guide-to-warding-in-dota2

ZeroX03

Banned
GW2 isn't nearly as emotionally charged as DOTA2.

Tempers run high, I lose mine every now and then as well.

Losing your temper is no excuse for taking it out on team mates or the opposing team. Ever.

The people that insult others just for the hell it are even worse.

Tenck

Because communication is a huge part of the game, and I shouldn't have to put up with insults regardless. "Fuck you cunts" is not the way to start any game. Saying "don't play the genre" is a really poor suggestion, it's not acceptable behavior in any situation.

EDIT: This is my 8th year of DotA, but many of those years were spent playing inhouse games. That isn't an option anymore.

IIRC, GW2 had a pretty much instaban policy for a while that didn't hurt anything.

Communication can be made through pings or chat wheel. If you find someone being offensive, you mute them, and continue on with using chat wheel or pings. It's a competitive genre that breeds the worst in people. Like I said, if you're letting this get to you, this is not the genre for you. There's assholes in beginner tier, up to high tier matches.

And using GW2 as an example? Really? Two completely opposite genres. One is super competitive, the other one isn't. Emotions are going to run wild in one, and it isn't going to be GW2.

ZeroX03

Banned
Communication can be made through pings or chat wheel. If you find someone being offensive, you mute them, and continue on with using chat wheel or pings. It's a competitive genre that breeds the worst in people. Like I said, if you're letting this get to you, this is not the genre for you. There's assholes in beginner tier, up to high tier matches.

And using GW2 as an example? Really? Two completely opposite genres. One is super competitive, the other one isn't. Emotions are going to run wild in one, and it isn't going to be GW2.

A defense force for being who make unprovoked attacks on others. Really?

This is giving me a huge headache.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm getting seriously bummed about this google shit. Bulldog mostly streams at the worst times so I watch most of his shit via VODs.

Tenck

A defense force for being who make unprovoked attacks on others. Really?

This is giving me a huge headache.

I'm not sure why you think I'm defending anyone. So stop stuffing words down my mouth. I'm just telling you competitiveness breeds stupidity. If you want to pretend this didn't happen years, or heck even decades ago, then you're naive.

Not sure how I can get that through to you. I could try less syllables if you want.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm not sure why you think I'm defending anyone. So stop stuffing words down my mouth. I'm just telling you competitiveness breeds stupidity. If you want to pretend this didn't happen years, or heck even decades ago, then you're naive.

Not sure how I can get that through to you. I could try less syllables if you want.

Jesus, even on GAF.

Nymerio

As I've said before I've had like 2 bad apples in my 500 games. I don't know if I'm lucky or people just talk back slightly more than they should or what.

Support is a much harder mindset because you work off the actions of other players in your game and have to deal with hard set things like timings of pulls (and hp for double pulls) deciding whether to walk in aggro a camp (like healers, or accounting that ranged creeps attack then move for different timing) seeing kill potential in lane (You enact this as support), etc.
Main thing is learning you exist to own the first 10-15 minutes of a game and sitting in lane getting 4 denies and fucking over creep equilibrium by AA'ing their hero three times and losing 400 hp is NOT what playing support means.

I was support for something like 200/250 games and now I like winning more so I'm playing more mid/carry/offlane as it's easier to take advantage of farm on the map and use it. I can have a larger solo game impact.

Carry is so much easier it's not even funny. Just check to see if you'll die, if not, farm. If you aren't getting farm go to somewhere there is farm. TP when a side actually commits if you can help.

The majority of my mid experience is from playing Earth and Ember Spirit and reading these two things:
http://chaqdota.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/chaqs-ultimate-guide-to-advanced-solo-middle/
http://dotastrategies.tumblr.com/post/63110161888/dota2-early-game-middle-lane-gif-heavy

Before reading those and picking Earth I had no experience mid besides being thrown in there. doesn't surprise me if someone never learned a position. Jungle is probably my weakest.

I watch enough pro Dota that I feel like I have a good basic understanding of how to use heroes even if I have under 5 games with them (Which is like 70% of the heroes)

There are plenty of things with knowledge that will just 100% improve your play like how T1 Tower last hitting works (Avg 90 damage on Melee, 5 hits + AA = LH. For Ranged if your Base Damage >80 = probably 2 tower hits + 1 LH = kill, if under hit it twice between tower shots).
Knowing the math lets you get more LH early game under tower by checking creep HP.

More:
http://dotastrategies.tumblr.com/post/56172811673/a-quick-guide-to-dota-presence
http://dotastrategies.tumblr.com/post/60044683358/dota2-early-game-harassing
http://dotastrategies.tumblr.com/post/57304805147/general-guide-to-warding-in-dota2

I think we're talking past each other here. I'm doing fine when I'm playing support, the question is how I get my friend to improve his support play or even general play. He has like 1k hours played but still struggles with the basics and I almost have to tell him each step of the way what to do. The frustrating thing is that he won't watch or read any guides. The thing that works best is if we give him tanky heroes where he won't die immediately when he's caught out of position (which he is a lot). I tried having him play AA to get some map awarenes, but he misses like 90% of ultis and if I don't remind him constantly to buy wards he won't buy them.

Zeknurn

The new Hammer update. Holy shit. I might get back to mapping for Source now that it isn't done in a tool stuck in the 90s. Realtime lighting preview and brushes are now meshes. Kreygasm

Dota 2 running on Source 2 is kinda neat too.

edit: This is hands down the biggest and most important update in the history of Dota 2. The amount of things they have finally updated is staggering.

Jesus, even on GAF.

He's right though. People like this exist in most competitive games. Even on other platforms that aren't Steam. Even Dark souls/Demon Souls have people that are scum and will send you shitty messages. Maybe you just have thin skin or something man.

I should probably rephrase the last sentence and be more clear. You have to learn to ignore people but also take criticism even if its in the most harsh in competitive games. I learned that about 4 years ago when i played LoL.

Tenck

He's right though. People like this exist in most competitive games. Even on other platforms that aren't Steam. Even Dark souls/Demon Souls have people that are scum and will send you shitty messages. Maybe you just have thin skin or something man.

I should probably rephrase the last sentence and be more clear. You have to learn to ignore people but also take criticism even if its in the most harsh in competitive games. I learned that about 4 years ago when i played LoL.

Pretty much. I've had death threats recently on Quake Live. Just goes to show there's idiots in anything competitive. Add people to my ignore list, and move on with my life. Plus it helps to party up with a group, so I hardly have to put up with racist bigots.

Falk

that puzzling face
About the whole "my difference is different from yours" anecdote stuff, aside from variations from game to game, some server clusters are just... worse than others. There's no other polite way to put it. SEA in general (not just DotA, everything from the billion Korean MMOs to WoW to CoD) is a cesspit of relative stupidity and chip-on-the-shoulder attitudes.

I'd assume South America isn't much better, and Russia is just Russia. Even US West vs US East has a marked difference in the early afternoons due to all the Peruvians playing.

There definitely are sweet spots in a 24 hour cycle to get games that are (at least, on average) less tepid if you're solo or 2-3 party queueing.

Banning people isn't going to be effective in a F2P game versus a paid game like Guild Wars, and really muting people pretty much solves the problem of flamers for me, though general toxicity and idiocy is still a problem. I don't get why you're trying to start fights on gaf over it, though. If someone is extremely negative and actively making your game unpleasant it's only going to make it worse if you try to engage with them.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I party with dudes on a regular basis and we flame each other harder than our random pubs do. Feels good man. You gotta embrace the hate if you wanna play Dota or just learn to ignore it and stop being a baby.

ZeroX03

Banned

Let me put it this way. I played five years of inhouse DotA. Do you know how many games we attacked each other? Zero. And if we had, the venue would've banned us. A professional athlete doing that? Banned. Threats of rape and violence made against someone person-to-person? Arrested. The response is not "if you don't like being treated like garbage, play something else", it should be "then let's fix this community, starting with our own actions". I'm reminded of the LoL player who was arrested for comments he made. It was certainly disproportionate punishment, but there should be a middle ground between arresting folks and telling them "hey, people are going to threaten to kill you, please deal with it or gtfo". I hope people can see why that's a dangerous attitude to have. It's not going to change overnight, and there's no way to stop everyone. But there should be more measures in place to curtail these sorts of issues and people who want the game to thrive shouldn't be apathetic to the issue.

Criticism is also a completely different thing. Telling me my father raped me is not criticism.

Banning people isn't going to be effective in a F2P game versus a paid game like Guild Wars, and really muting people pretty much solves the problem of flamers for me, though general toxicity and idiocy is still a problem. I don't get why you're trying to start fights on gaf over it, though. If someone is extremely negative and actively making your game unpleasant it's only going to make it worse if you try to engage with them.

DotA2 forces the tutorial now doesn't it? Obviously banning won't be as effective, but things like IP bans, forced tutorials, 'beginner pools' and just the fear of players losing items they've invested in would help to instill a fear of bans. HoN was inconsistent, but for a while there they had people actively monitor games you reported and hand out stricter punishments. And it helped for a while, but unfortunately S2 couldn't commit to it, as this was back when they were trying to change the game radically every week.

My usual response to players who insult others (anyone in the game), is to tell them it's unnecessary and ask if they could refrain from it in future. I'll report players too, though fat load of good that seems to do.

I party with dudes on a regular basis and we flame each other harder than our random pubs do. Feels good man. You gotta embrace the hate if you wanna play Dota or just learn to ignore it and stop being a baby.

Trash talk amongst friends is not the same thing.

Let me put it this way. I played five years of inhouse DotA. Do you know how many games we attacked each other? Zero. And if we had, the venue would've banned us. A professional athlete doing that? Banned. Threats of rape and violence made against someone person-to-person? Arrested. The response is not "if you don't like being treated like garbage, play something else", it should be "then let's fix this community, starting with our own actions". I'm reminded of the LoL player who was arrested for comments he made. It was certainly disproportionate punishment, but there should be a middle ground between arresting folks and telling them "hey, people are going to threaten to kill you, please deal with it or gtfo". I hope people can see why that's a dangerous attitude to have. It's not going to change overnight, and there's no way to stop everyone. But there should be more measures in place to curtail these sorts of issues and people who want the game to thrive shouldn't be apathetic to the issue.

Criticism is also a completely different thing. Telling me my father raped me is not criticism.

DotA2 forces the tutorial now doesn't it? Obviously banning won't be as effective, but things like IP bans, forced tutorials, 'beginner pools' and just the fear of players losing items they've invested in would help to instill a fear of bans. HoN was inconsistent, but for a while there they had people actively monitor games you reported and hand out stricter punishments. And it helped for a while, but unfortunately S2 couldn't commit to it, as this was back when they were trying to change the game radically every week.

My usual response to players who insult others (anyone in the game), is to tell them it's unnecessary and ask if they could refrain from it in future. I'll report players too, though fat load of good that seems to do.

Trash talk amongst friends is not the same thing.

I never said if you dont like being treated like garbage go play something else. What are you talking about? I'm just going to assume you're just the type that doesn't like to find ways to get over things. Well, all i have to say is enjoy life. I'm done.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think we're talking past each other here. I'm doing fine when I'm playing support
It was me rattling and in addition to Wok's post.
the question is how I get my friend to improve his support play or even general play. He has like 1k hours played but still struggles with the basics and I almost have to tell him each step of the way what to do. The frustrating thing is that he won't watch or read any guides. The thing that works best is if we give him tanky heroes where he won't die immediately when he's caught out of position (which he is a lot). I tried having him play AA to get some map awarenes, but he misses like 90% of ultis and if I don't remind him constantly to buy wards he won't buy them.
There are people who play to play and there's a point where they get diminishing returns at getting better if they just don't know what to do.
If he doesn't want to work at improving it is what it is. I like learning and improving so I go after this kind of info.

That was directed at Tenck's comments.

If somebody is acting like an asshole just mute them. I normally just mute people before i leave fountain if they have an annoying voice. If somebody criticizes you and it sounds super harsh and they're still being rude still take the criticism. Dota 2 and competitive games in general are a harsh environment and as silly as it sounds you just need to learn to adapt to it.

When people say you just need to get used to it or whatever they aren't blowing the problem away. We all know Dota 2 is a shitty community we just learned to adapt to it better than you have ZeroX03.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's one thing to genuinely want the community to be better. It's another to expect the internet to not be the internet and rant about it. The latter is essentially peeing in the wind. Except in public.

ZeroX03

Banned
If somebody is acting like an asshole just mute them. I normally just mute people before i leave fountain if they have an annoying voice. If somebody criticizes you and it sounds super harsh and they're still being rude still take the criticism. Dota 2 and competitive games in general are a harsh environment and as silly as it sounds you just need to learn to adapt to it.

When people say you just need to get used to it or whatever they aren't blowing the problem away. We all know Dota 2 is a shitty community we just learned to adapt to it better than you have ZeroX03.

That's exactly what they're doing. By saying "adapt" or "don't play" you're basically telling people that you have no intention of dealing with the issue or helping to stop it. You're letting people who threaten others with death or rape get away with their actions.

(Edit: I realize that sounds super harsh and that 99% of people making those comments aren't serious, but it's still a serious issue)

That's exactly what they're doing. By saying "adapt" or "don't play" you're basically telling people that you have no intention of dealing with the issue or helping to stop it. You're letting people who threaten others with death or rape get away with their actions.

We're not the developers though. Our best job is just to ignore the people and move on.

Sort of tangentially related, I hope Valve does implement whatever systems they've been talking about to reward "positive" players, outside of just e-boner stuff on the commends page. Whether it be earning steam credit or better game rewards or just some sort of reputation system that feeds into other mechanics, I think it would be a cool thing to do. Granted there's room for abuse and whatnot but generally positive reinforcement works better than punishments and Valve's corporate philosophy is more about providing incentives and crowdsourcing as much work as they can as opposed to better enforcement and moderation.

ZeroX03

Banned
We're not the developers though. Our best job is just to ignore the people and move on.

Ummm, if the community gets active enough, Valve will listen. Or Riot, or S2, or whoever develops your Moba of choice. Look at the Diretide fiasco, people made their voices heard and Valve responded. If everyone is quiet and accepts it then nothing changes, which is sort of my point about the whole thing. "Get over it", "ignore it", "don't play" aren't solutions, it's just avoidance.

Sort of tangentially related, I hope Valve does implement whatever systems they've been talking about to reward "positive" players, outside of just e-boner stuff on the commends page. Whether it be earning steam credit or better game rewards or just some sort of reputation system that feeds into other mechanics, I think it would be a cool thing to do. Granted there's room for abuse and whatnot but generally positive reinforcement works better than punishments and Valve's corporate philosophy is more about providing incentives and crowdsourcing as much work as they can as opposed to better enforcement and moderation.

Also a good idea.

Top Bottom