• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
cry.gif
sad.gif
cry.gif
sad.gif
cry.gif
sad.gif
cry.gif
sad.gif
cry.gif

Big Dog

Do these guys playing with Matt have those new tools downloaded? Or are they able to play with him in Invoker Wars regardless of that?

Chris R

Watch out Drkirby, twitch chat is gonna get you.

7XUEXIL.png

★ ★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸¸ . ...somewhere ° ☾ ° ¸. ● ¸ . ★ ° :. . • ° . * :. . ¸
.☾ . ● ¸ . ★ ° . • ○ ° ★ . * . ☾ ° ¸. ...in a parallel universe* ●
¸ ° ☾ °☆ . * ¸. ★ ★ ° . . . ☾ °☆ . * ● ¸ . ★°★ . * . . ¸. * ● ¸ .
...Kirby ° ☾ ★ °● ¸ . ★ ° :. . • ○ ° ★. ● . ° ☾ °° . * :. .
¸ . ● ¸ * . ...actually loaded

Poor Kirby ;_;

Big Dog

You need the tools downloaded to play custom games since they run in the new engine

Gotcha. Makes sense I guess. Couldn't get that to work yesterday as when I switched over to the Steam Beta the entire Steam client was slow and non responsive. Guess no Invoker Wars for me then.

Ultimatum

Banned
Gotcha. Makes sense I guess. Couldn't get that to work yesterday as when I switched over to the Steam Beta the entire Steam client was slow and non responsive. Guess no Invoker Wars for me then.

There was a bug that caused some download issue to severely slow down steam, you had to pause the fake update to get around it, but I got an update about half an hour ago fixing it, so you should be good to go now.

Big Dog

There was a bug that caused some download issue to severely slow down steam, you had to pause the fake update to get around it, but I got an update about half an hour ago fixing it, so you should be good to go now.

Yeah maybe I'll try it again. The game was really buggy until recently. Thanks.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
One thing I like about the workshop is at the moment you can easily just look at how anything someone else made works, great for figuring out how to do stuff.

Big Dog

Abaddon has been tons of fun for me lately. I have been playing him as a carry these days and he has lead me to victory every time. Getting Mask of Madness is almost unfair when I use it in team fights where my ult goes off. He is a strong hero who scales pretty late imo. Lots of fun being able to slow, buff attack speed and heal team mates all while getting a regen ult if the enemy feels like trying to pummel you. Wish I had started playing him a bit sooner!

Chris R

Artour putting Twitch's muting policy to the test playing Katie Kate...

Holy shit is she bad. Kinda glad I didn't go to the afterparty now.

edit: ◕_◕ ༽つULT SILENCER PLEASE つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Qvoth

ever since the source 2 update thing, my steam says dota 2 has an update but it never actually downloads the update
anybody else having this?

Quesa

ever since the source 2 update thing, my steam says dota 2 has an update but it never actually downloads the update
anybody else having this?

Muck the cache verification and the download queue. Mine's been at "Ready to play" for a while but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Hylian7

I really hate it when no matter how much your ask, your supports won't buy and place wards. I'm Tinker, I need my farm and can't spare the money for it already. I end up dying just because their TA can see all the runes. Jesus fucking christ.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I really hate it when no matter how much your ask, your supports won't buy and place wards. I'm Tinker, I need my farm and can't spare the money for it already. I end up dying just because their TA can see all the runes. Jesus fucking christ.

If you're dying then you're losing more gold than wards would have cost.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But if you're dying then you're going to be doing worse.
^
If one Ward prevents one death, it already pays for itself. If two deaths, that's pure profit right there.

Ikuu

Sure, but that doesn't matter if I'm getting 14 minute BoTs because I bought some wards. We probably still lost either way.

The team is more than just you. You still seem to be missing the point, if the wards stop you from getting killed then they've saved you and were worth the investment.

Hylian7

The team is more than just you. You still seem to be missing the point, if the wards stop you from getting killed then they've saved you and were worth the investment.

Then in that case why don't the carries buy them every game? There's a reason the supports are supposed to buy them.

Ikuu

Then in that case why don't the carries buy them every game? There's a reason the supports are supposed to buy them.

It's like talking to a brick wall. Supports buying them is the ideal, but if it's going to save you from losing more gold then buy them yourself.

patapuf

It's better if the supports buy wards, but sometimes when playing pubs, you'll have to deal with non-optimal play or straight up bad play.

Tinker spending 150 on wards because supports don't (or can't) buy them is better than tinker dying. And that one's on you.

Mohasus

Stop picking mid every single damn game and try to play support for a while.

I've bought wards many times with anti-mage because my supports don't understand that I need a safe jungle 12 minutes into the game. I could keep dying and complaining, but that never solved anything.

Artanisix

Hylian, you can ask mumblegaf about this: I almost always buy wards for myself when I play mid, especially if I'm farming well. If no one else does it, just do it for yourself. The gold goes a long way.

Haly

Because people don't understand basic economic theory, and are bad.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/822769759

Guess who bought courier this game, go on, guess.

It was me on LC, because I needed it and my teammates were too busy being bad to buy it for me.

And Invoker bought the first set of wards, because he knew Tinker getting rune control was a bad idea, and wanted to cover his flank. See how this pays off in the long run?

Hylian7

It's like talking to a brick wall. Supports buying them is the ideal, but if it's going to save you from losing more gold then buy them yourself.

It's better if the supports buy wards, but sometimes when playing pubs, you'll have to deal with non-optimal play or straight up bad play.

Tinker spending 150 on wards because supports don't (or can't) buy them is better than tinker dying. And that one's on you.

If the choice is 14 minute BOT or feed I'd pick 14 minute bot everytime but that's me. :~)

Because people don't understand basic economic theory, and are bad.

The only problem is that you are supposed to get 10-12 minute BoTs and if you don't you've probably already lost. You're taking 10 minutes to sit mid and farm them, and once you have them your team needs you to rotate. It is worth it to buy the wards, but extremely frustrating if you do and your team goes "Well our tinker took 14 minutes to get bots, gg ,report!"
Stop picking mid every single damn game and try to play support for a while.

Support is even more frustrating than a situation like this. So much opportunity for things to go wrong, and usually it does happen. You want to smoke mid? Your teammate is like "Nah fuck you" and doesn't want to go and just sits in lane. Your carry asks "Why aren't you 6 yet?!" when you were in a trilane and then blames you. Even if you do do everything right, set up kills. Your carries can just throw it all away for you. I've played support games, some where things went great. My team was there with me 100% of the time, we coordinated so well. Other times where I did my job, then the carries fucked it up. A recent example was this one:

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/817325662

Our Storm went the scrub Arcane > Bloodstone rush build and proceeded to do fuck all. Invoker did nothing and abandoned after a teamfight that we WON. And look at this, I was the only person that bought the wards.

ZHGRIdK.png

I've bought wards many times with anti-mage because my supports don't understand that I need a safe jungle 12 minutes into the game. I could keep dying and complaining, but that never solved anything.

Did you actually win any of these games though?

Hylian, you can ask mumblegaf about this: I almost always buy wards for myself when I play mid, especially if I'm farming well. If no one else does it, just do it for yourself. The gold goes a long way.

But what if you aren't farming well? Like say it's critical you get an item by 10 minutes and your supports won't help you. I mean I get it, yeah, it can help, but when it's so frustrating when you have to set your own critical item behind because your teammates won't do their jobs.

Haly

The only problem is that you are supposed to get 10-12 minute BoTs and if you don't you've probably already lost. You're taking 10 minutes to sit mid and farm them, and once you have them your team needs you to rotate. It is worth it to buy the wards, but extremely frustrating if you do and your team goes "Well our tinker took 14 minutes to get bots, gg ,report!"
Why do you care more about what your teammates are saying, people who you should be muting at -00:30, than your victory?
But what if you aren't farming well? Like say it's critical you get an item by 10 minutes and your supports won't help you. I mean I get it, yeah, it can help, but when it's so frustrating when you have to set your own critical item behind because your teammates won't do their jobs.
Stop assuming people will do their jobs and go into the game with the understanding that you need to put your entire team on your back. If you aren't good enough to win mid without wards, then swallow your pride and buy the fucking wards.

fallagin

Oh man, just had a game where a lycan would not fucking push. I was doing all the pushing as dragon knight. I know there is the fear of getting caught out, but our fucking base was like a beach with constant waves of creeps splashing against it. Do not play lycan if you arent going to push, there is just no point.

edit: not to say that dk is bad at pushing, but he can only do so much by himself. And to clarify, this was vs an opposing team of rats.

Wok

I don't get why people cannot afford spending 150 gold on wards. If your team knows how to read the mini-map, which is never granted, the observer ward is one of the best items in the game.

If supports aren't pulling their weight you're just going to lose regardless. So either pay for wards or sit in base click around hoping to see all of them on another lane.

Why do you care more about what your teammates are saying, people who you should be muting at -00:30, than your victory?

Stop assuming people will do their jobs and go into the game with the understanding that you need to put your entire team on your back.

Unrelated, but I cannot imagine how/why people play dota this way. Dota without being able to communicate with people sounds like an excercise is frustration.

I know I often bring this up as a joke, but honestly, why don't people group up as 5 to guarantee cool/communicative people?

Top Bottom