• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Kade

1) What is 'the trench'?
2) What's it called if you help your creeps start the push and swing the momentum towards the opposition tower, but you don't help them push the tower itself?

1. Like the "friend zone", the trench is a social construct developed by bads to denote a MMR bracket where everyone is an idiot but you and because of this, advancement from the trench is an arduous task. The reality is that there are idiots in every bracket.

2. Rat Dota.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Rat dota is pushing down towers while avoiding fights. A push strat is trying to push down towers/break base as early as possible. A tower siege is sending illusions or summons to chip damage from a tower.

ViviOggi

She just always streams with people who are 4.5k mmr or more, and she being 3.5 is just always worse then her opponents, makes for some really boring streams.
If she simply tried playing more actively it would make for a more exciting stream - she'll either make plays or fail spectacularly. Watching a 6k player play braindead lanesitting support would be just as boring (in theory since no good player does that).

G.ZZZ

The trench is exactly at 2.5k and below.

And rat is backdooring shit with NP or Wisp or whatever.

Trench is above the copper line, so at least 5k or below.

The trench is endless.

Also LC mid is too high variance of an hero imho. Still need a slight buff, preferably to her relatively shitty 3rd. Lowering CD (0.9->0.8->0.7->0.6) or applying a little slow on hit or whatever....

Atlantis

so atlantis just messaged me and he got a GOLDEN VENGE FIGURE i hate him hes CONSTANTLY lucky

2hm6Tg5.png

ibxWUCf0KNG0ji.gif

yarden24

If she simply tried playing more actively it would make for a more exciting stream - she'll either make plays or fail spectacularly. Watching a 6k player play braindead lanesitting support would be just as boring (in theory since no good player does that).

All she will do is feed, she is Not playing against opponents of her skill level skill, seeing someone feeding while being frustrated will not be good entertainment, she should just play solo, or with different people

Ultimatum

Banned
All she will do is feed, she is Not playing against opponents of her skill level skill, seeing someone feeding while being frustrated will not be good entertainment, she should just play solo, or with different people

the best way to learn is to risk feeding

I don't really understand how it's taking welovefine longer than a week to shove some boxes into a bigger box and ship it.

Seriously wondering why Valve went with this company. They're awful.

Miker

So my gf and I have been playing against bots - about 20ish hours - and I think we might start trying to play vs. real people soon. We're both still pretty awful, with minimal game sense, and neither of us have ever bought a ward before. Is there a list of stuff that you wish you had known before you played your first game vs. real people? Besides buy wards if you're a support.

JustinBB7

Watching singsings Dark Souls 2 run parts I missed.

..it's fucking muted for 30 minutes because of the audio copy right shit. How do I report this shit that it's a false flag?

Such a bullshit system, he's just playing the game and HALF AN HOUR gets muted... wat.

So my gf and I have been playing against bots - about 20ish hours - and I think we might start trying to play vs. real people soon. We're both still pretty awful, with minimal game sense, and neither of us have ever bought a ward before. Is there a list of stuff that you wish you had known before you played your first game vs. real people? Besides buy wards if you're a support.

1- mute button is on the scoreboard for players with bad attitude..use it.
2- MM will put you in a fair match
3- have fun

She's already putting in the time though.

She's playing Dota but she's not trying to get better, if you know what I mean. There's only so good you can get without analyzing your mistakes, watching replays and applying yourself. I'm not seeing that with her and that's fine because she probably doesn't want to.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I don't think that anybody can get to 5k+ just by putting in the effort. There has to be level of aptitude towards the game in order to reach actual high tiers. I know I'll never get there because I'm old and shitty. 4 thousand games of Dota is probably a big enough sample size that you're where you belong.

Zeth

The problem is that people are often unwilling to accept the concept of "where you belong". They're more disposed to looking at MMR like a bar in COD that you increase constantly, and are unsurprisingly frustrated when it doesn't work like that.

edit: I was thinking of Sheever when I typed this, someone with 4k games is a fairly large sample size - and I'm not saying you can't improve either. It's just a difference in perspective.

ViviOggi

She's playing Dota but she's not trying to get better, if you know what I mean. There's only so good you can get without analyzing your mistakes, watching replays and applying yourself. I'm not seeing that with her and that's fine because she probably doesn't want to.
It just baffles me how someone can put this much time into a hypercompetitive game, Sheever's a caster on top of that so analyzing Dota is actually what she does for a living, without feeling the urge to improve. In fact she was super motivated to learn other roles when she did the A-Z challenge a while ago but got discouraged when the results weren't stellar. Not much she could have done, that's just what happens when you've been playing passive babysitter all your life.

But if she's fine with how it is more power to her.

yarden24

The problem is that people are often unwilling to accept the concept of "where you belong". They're more disposed to looking at MMR like a bar in COD that you increase constantly, and are unsurprisingly frustrated when it doesn't work like that.

The only time you are where you "belong" is if you don't try and improve, there is no reason you shouldn't improve constantly if you keep trying,even if you do so very slowly

Pratfall

I don't really understand how it's taking welovefine longer than a week to shove some boxes into a bigger box and ship it.

Seriously wondering why Valve went with this company. They're awful.

Be thankful. I just got my plushies and I got two fucking Kunkkas. I couldn't be less interested in a hero.

Ding ding ding ding. There are a few select individuals in this thread who would be much happier if they accepted this. Malcolm Gladwell has made some people overconfident.

W1SSY

Be thankful. I just got my plushies and I got two fucking Kunkkas. I couldn't be less interested in a hero.
I bought 4 and got 2 Kunkkas and 2 TAs. What a bummer.

On the topic of the trench and MMR I have yet to play my solo matches. I got my party MMR but just cannot bring myself to play solo. The last game I did that I got an all spanish speaking team that just pinged the map and complained when I didn't dive towers.

Zeth

The only time you are where you "belong" is if you don't try and improve, there is no reason you shouldn't improve constantly if you keep trying,even if you do so very slowly

Yeah I get that. Just my general observation. Obviously everyone wants to improve, and anyone can do it, it's just a matter of how much is reasonable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Everyone reaches a "plateau" at some point in their MOBA playing career, and to get past this plateau, it's not enough to merely play the game, but to really work at becoming a better player. This means reviewing the occasional replay, studying specific players and emulating them, reading up on in-depth guides like ChaQ's Mid Guide or e-Hug's Warding Guides, breaking out of comfort zones, practicing mechanics in bot games and generally approaching the game less like a hobby and more like work/study. And it's common for players to encounter multiple plateaus as they improve, each one requiring a new level of effort to surmount.

I've never seen Sheever play, but from her notoriety as the weak link in pro-stacks, it seems she fell into the same trap a lot of players who avoid solo-queue fall into. They rely too much on their better teammates and inflate their own MMR, resulting in a much tougher solo-queue experience, giving them more reason to avoid it. This cycle builds on itself until they wind up stifling their progression. The solution is either to play more solo-queue games, or to ask for carry/mid roles in these stacks. However, I get the impression Sheever doesn't really care that much about getting good enough to really play with the pros. There's nothing wrong with it, Sheever's job is being a personality, not being a great player.

Tenck

Everyone reaches a "plateau" at some point in their MOBA playing career, and to get past this plateau, it's not enough to merely play the game, but to really work at becoming a better player. This means reviewing the occasional replay, studying specific players and emulating them, reading up on in-depth guides like ChaQ's Mid Guide or e-Hug's Warding Guides, breaking out of comfort zones, practicing mechanics in bot games and generally approaching the game less like a hobby and more like work/study. And it's common for players to encounter multiple plateaus as they improve, each one requiring a new level of effort to surmount.

I've never seen Sheever play, but from her notoriety as the weak link in pro-stacks, it seems she fell into the same trap a lot of players who avoid solo-queue fall into. They rely too much on their better teammates and inflate their own MMR, resulting in a much tougher solo-queue experience, giving them more reason to avoid it. This cycle builds on itself until they wind up stifling their progression. The solution is either to play more solo-queue games, or to ask for carry/mid roles in these stacks. However, I get the impression Sheever doesn't really care that much about getting good enough to really play with the pros. There's nothing wrong with it, Sheever's job is being a personality, not being a great player.

I've been trying to think of ways to improve, and your post definitely gives me ideas. Thanks.

I definitely want to improve as a player. I'm feel I should start playing stuff out of my comfort zone. Most of the time I'm queued up with my friends, I get put in the hard carry position, but I'd like to do other stuff too. Problem is they're not really comfortable at times taking on the role of carry. Maybe I should be more persistent.

ViviOggi

I've been trying to think of ways to improve, and your post definitely gives me ideas. Thanks.

I definitely want to improve as a player. I'm feel I should start playing stuff out of my comfort zone. Most of the time I'm queued up with my friends, I get put in the hard carry position, but I'd like to do other stuff too. Problem is they're not really comfortable at times taking on the role of carry. Maybe I should be more persistent.
It's worth a shot. Maybe try convincing them that they'll also grow as support players by improving their other roles.

Top Bottom