• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Behold the latest in map making technologies, tiny ancients:
lichwarstinyancinets.jpg

Getting huge as silencer is so satisfying
was a long close match where their slark got really big and they had an aba, batrider, veng and gyro (who also had a decent amount of farm)

I had 40 stacks near the end, they must have had no mana to fight with anymore

force staff + aghs refresher, 200+ sheet dmg + about 150 from glaives int bonus
Had a linkens (so I wouldn't get blink lassod or swapped) and a cheese

Those 12 second silences and massive mana drains from the aghs upgrade just ruin their supports, when our ursa and TB died diving past their racks the gyro, aba and veng turned on me but they all had to run with their tail between their legs as the right click is just too much.

Silencer is such a beast if the game goes late

sixghost

Ok I want a definitive answer on this: should I or should I not let the ranged creep go through when blocking the first creepwave? Does it differ per lane? Thanks!

Assuming you want the lane to push, you want to block all the creeps for about 75% of the way, then let the ranged one through near the end so that it dies first. Letting the ranged creep get way ahead still makes the lane push, but the initial creep equilibrium is pretty far up, so you run the risk of getting ganked immediately.

Yo um...did Razor get buffed at some point in the last year?

I don't really recall being this effective with him in the past. Played him for two games for the first time in about a year and have gone 29 / 5 / 21 in those two matches.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yo um...did Razor get buffed at some point in the last year?

I don't really recall being this effective with him in the past. Played him for two games for the first time in about a year and have gone 29 / 5 / 21 in those two matches.

This is everything in the past 18 months:

Strength gain increased from 1.7 to 2.3.
Unstable Current slow duration increased from 0.4/0.8/1.2/1.6 to 0.5/1/1.5/2.
Unstable Current movement speed bonus increased from 3/6/9/12% to 4/8/12/16%.
Eye of the Storm duration increased from 20/25/30 to 30.
Eye of the Storm strike interval decreased from 0.75/0.65/0.55 to 0.7/0.6/0.5 (Aghanim's to 0.55/0.45/0.35).

Silencer got killed by SF mid, says he is gonna feed. Does, and I hear Dire's courier has been killed 30 times.

Lame way for an 8 game win streak to end.

dmshaposv

Getting huge as silencer is so satisfying
was a long close match where their slark got really big and they had an aba, batrider, veng and gyro (who also had a decent amount of farm)

I had 40 stacks near the end, they must have had no mana to fight with anymore

force staff + aghs refresher, 200+ sheet dmg + about 150 from glaives int bonus
Had a linkens (so I wouldn't get blink lassod or swapped) and a cheese

Those 12 second silences and massive mana drains from the aghs upgrade just ruin their supports, when our ursa and TB died diving past their racks the gyro, aba and veng turned on me but they all had to run with their tail between their legs as the right click is just too much.

Silencer is such a beast if the game goes late

The best "fuck magic" hero. Anti-noob is just a poseur.

I think there is some validity to the deterioration of reflexes, reaction time, and fine motor skill with age. Also, a lot of these 18-20 year-old pros are going to have some wicked RSI in a few years.

I think those things are incredibly overstated, especially when athleticism isn't a factor. It's more an issue of once players get past their mid 20s they start having other real life obligations and considerations, plus they aren't as motivated or dedicated as they were when they were teens. It's not a coincidence that games which require very intensive practice and maintenance to play at the highest level like Starcraft and DOTA have younger players. Games that are less volatile at the highest levels and have fairly insular/established communities like Quake and the FGC have plenty of older players, even though logically those genres would require better reflexes and motor skills than RTS or MOBA games.

Sorry, what?

Maxing inner beast before even a single point in call of the wild? Wouldn't you want the boar to stack ancients/slow people and the hawk to scout? That must be worth 2 value points at least, vs inner beast which is fairly poor early-game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've been wondering about something. If you take a player that is 5.5-6k+ MMR and had them start playing on a well established (hundreds of games) 2-3.5k MMR account of someone who feels like they are stuck in the trench, how long would it take them to get up to their normal 5k+ MMR?

Wok

I've been wondering about something. If you take a player that is 5.5-6k+ MMR and had them start playing on a well established (hundreds of games) 2-3.5k MMR account of someone who feels like they are stuck in the trench, how long would it take them to get up to their normal 5k+ MMR?

This question is irrelevant: a good player would just take the same hero over and over again to get free MMR. I would be more interested in the answer if ranked matches were Random Draft only, or All Random, so that one cannot just take Slark or Void, and that the good player cannot just solo carry most of the games. With a winrate closer to 55%, it would require quite a long time.

Anyway, if you want to go from 3k to 5k, you have to win 2k, which is 80 more wins than defeats. Assuming your winrate in the trench is 70%, it would require 200 matches (140 wins, 60 losses), so about 150 hours of your life. Depending on how much you value a virtual measure such as MMR, and depending on how much you value your limited time on Earth, it might just be worth it to buy an account off a Chinese running bots to artificially increase MMR.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
  • I'm a player who got calibrated around 5650, dropped to 5400 soon after a loss streak and then climbed to 6k
  • I've taken the 2900 rated account and played on it until I got 5400 rating, which is the lowest point I've had on my main
  • It took 144 games (122-22, 85% win rate), with 16 out of 22 losses being in the 4500-5400 range
  • The account was given to me with 47% win, now it's at 60%
  • Mostly mid/safelane heroes with a couple of offlaners and junglers and supports here and there
and there was a support player who is doing it, looks to be a bit longer

This guy did it:

http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1398477

It took him around 150 games to get from 3-5k.

I think there's more examples of this, I remember a guy on reddit doing it as well but I can't find it.

dmshaposv

even if they did, whats the point?

Players at that level are much better and will wreck the weaker player. MMR needs to be stopped looking as "high class", middle class, lowly peasant - and rather as heavyweight, lightweight, e.t.c.

The pro players will always have better reflexes, game sense, mechanical skill and practise than someone who tryhards yet can't dedicate as much time to the game.

Just used Huskar for the first time using a user-build. What a beast. I imagine I'll be saying something different if I get off to a slow start and my abilities end up doing more damage to myself than enemies :p

danmaku

I think those things are incredibly overstated, especially when athleticism isn't a factor. It's more an issue of once players get past their mid 20s they start having other real life obligations and considerations, plus they aren't as motivated or dedicated as they were when they were teens. It's not a coincidence that games which require very intensive practice and maintenance to play at the highest level like Starcraft and DOTA have younger players. Games that are less volatile at the highest levels and have fairly insular/established communities like Quake and the FGC have plenty of older players, even though logically those genres would require better reflexes and motor skills than RTS or MOBA games.

This. Besides, Dota isn't as APM-heavy as Starcraft so I don't think you NEED to be in your early 20s to be competitive.

Hey guys,

i just finished a little experiment regarding the MMR system. Few months ago i created a new account to play with some friends who are new to Dota and to see what solo MMR i can get at lvl 13. For reference i play Dota since 2006 and started Dota 2 in November 2011. I have played nearly 3000 games on my main account and im currently standing at 4069 solo MMR and 4468 party MMR.

This is the account http://www.dotabuff.com/players/54945472

So on my smurf account im standing at 124 played games with 4976 solo MMR.

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/164303370

The thing is, i cant really gain more MMR on my main account even though im trying kinda hard. Also i dont really feel i lose against players who are exceptionally better than me. This only kinda happens on my smurf account, which is sad because the games are really really good there, whereas solo MMR games on my main kinda suck :/

kvk1

Merlini fans get an extra 500-750 added to their MMR during calibration.

You're being rewarded for choosing your alliances wisely.

highfive.gif

kiyomi

Just used Huskar for the first time using a user-build. What a beast. I imagine I'll be saying something different if I get off to a slow start and my abilities end up doing more damage to myself than enemies :p

Yeah, Huskar's awesome. I had Print Screen
stalking
watching me play Huskar and he gave a bunch of great advice about how to play him. I love jumping on people.

Top Bottom