• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Acinixys

Thats not what i meant. I just find it broken that my new account got calibratet 900 points higher than my main

Why? Surely youve improved since your 1st calibration? Plus its super hard to increase your MMR

Case in Point: Hylians struggle for 4K

I rarely play ranked but I was calibrated at 3.5k and im pretty sure im a 3.5-4k player. So im happy with that

kvk1

I think its super weird that people care so much about MMR

Oh no my magical Dota 2 Epeen number is too small it must mean im bad!

I agree. It's a competitive game though. Ain't no shame in trying to see how you stack up to the rest.

The problem is when the obsession with MMR turns you into a toxic clown who no longer gets any enjoyment from the actual act of playing the game.

Thats not what i meant. I just find it broken that my new account got calibratet 900 points higher than my main

In theory after you've played the same number of games it'll end up at a similar MMR on both accounts, and the calibration matches affect MMR more than normal ranked games, so there's definitely more variance when the system is trying to determine your MMR over 10 games as opposed to 100. That said, getting a new account and going tryhard on the placement matches to get a higher MMR seems easier than trying to grind those 900 points when you're already close to your theoretical MMR peak.

I find ranked completely insufferable either way and I can't get any enjoyment out of it. It's like choosing to play with the worst human scum so I can get a number at the end that proves I'm better than the shitters I just played with. It seems like it'd be more rewarding to just queue for random draft and actually have fun.

kvk1

The problem is when the obsession with MMR turns you into a toxic clown who no longer gets any enjoyment from the actual act of playing the game.

What I'm trying to say is, we need to be a little more like Reggie:

http://youtu.be/930H_ZRExbg?t=8s

And a little less like Herm:

http://youtu.be/b5-iJUuPWis?t=4s

cheeky.gif

rezuth

I lost all my games because people instapicked mid and carries but then failed. Still came out at around 3.2k but I feel like it's a bit low. I mean seeing some of the 4k players when I stack with hylian, Jesus. How are those people above 2k?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I won 8 of my 10 calibration matches mostly as support lich, helped team set up many many kills. Came out with 2.7k MMR. Now I am stuck in a trench where all my team mates are braindead.

I am not really sure how I calibrated so low! I was expecting at least 3k!

I won 8 of my 10 calibration matches mostly as support lich, helped team set up many many kills. Came out with 2.7k MMR. Now I am stuck in a trench where all my team mates are braindead.

Your Ranked MMR is based on your unranked MMR, the calibration matches don't matter as much as people think

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Your Ranked MMR is based on your unranked MMR, the calibration matches don't matter as much as people think

Haha oh shit, those all random, ability drafts, drunk nights randoming have ruined me!

I wish I did not care so much about the stupid number. But it is hard not to when all your friends are much higher than you! Even though I can play competently with them in their brackets.

Calibration seems to mean little, I lost like 7 out of my 10 matches and was placed 4.3k, I had like over 1,500 games played at that point.

I think they just increase your uncertainty for the 10 games, so if you start stomping or getting stomped then it might change your MMR but most likely you should be the same ranked as unranked

So TIny's been workshop ready for months now and there hasn't been a single non-tree submission for him yet.

Valve really messed up his slots. Way too much work to make a set for him versus had they broken him up by ult levels as originally planned.
Just one item for Tiny requires the same amount of work as making an entire set for some heroes!

I guess a contributor could make 4 models and break them down themselves, but that still is more work than making 4 models and having an entire set for another hero without needing to break it into 16 pieces.

kvk1

did they remove the 150 games requirement for ranked?

my buddy doesnt even have 100 games and is playing it now

I think the requirement is to be Level 13, not a particular number of games.

TI booster + couple of games = rankerino eligible.

I could be wrong though.

Yeah the whole ladder anxiety thing is probably the main reason why I'll never play ranked games, since I'm almost certain that it will detract from my enjoyment of the game. I already obsess, a bit more than I'd like, over my W-L ratio, I can't imagine what I'd be like when MMR was at stake.

Kade

Semester/term is done so I am planning on playing a lot. I've started using the custom message thing to let people know when I'm not queueing with other people (I have like, 4 groups I play with) so if it says "alone" or something along those lines feel free to invite me.

manfestival

Yeah the whole ladder anxiety thing is probably the main reason why I'll never play ranked games, since I'm almost certain that it will detract from my enjoyment of the game. I already obsess, a bit more than I'd like, over my W-L ratio, I can't imagine what I'd be like when MMR was at stake.

I stopped playing league back at the end of season 2 and I had close to 3000 games. I rarely played ranked because I was more obsessed with my w/l ratio. I had a good like 150+ wins over losses.

Similar thing happened to me. Calibration matches don't mean anything if you've already had a significant amount of games under your belt. If you really care about your mmr, don't play ranked at after 11 pm- Seems like teamplay takes a sharp turn for the worse, at least in USW/USE- sharp increase in the number of Peruvians, Fucktards and Russians...

I'm curious for those of you that play Kunkka...what are your thoughts on Attacker1994's Kunkka build?
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2bxays/over_700_kunkka_games_69k_solo_mmr_ask_me/
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/118305301
vid

Summary-
Position- Mid

Starting items- stout shield/tangos/gauntlet of strength/gg branches

Early- bottle/phase/BF

Late- Blink->Daedalus->BKB or Daedalus->Daedalus or Divine Rapier

Skill Build- Take ulti's at appropriate levels/max tide bringer and torrent first/max X last
-if mid has a lot of ganking opp early on, 2 torrent, 1 tide, 2 X.

My Impressions of Kunkka
I dunno why I've been avoiding him as a hero. His skill shots are difficult to land but not as difficult as I imagined...much like most things, a big part is to throw them from where your opponent can't see you. Another thing I was pleasantly surprised with is that Kunkka has really good starting damage and a good attack animation. Getting last hits with him is pretty easy. I always knew about bungie jumping (X-ing yourself and then blinking in) but I never see anyone do it..The major issue I have with Kunkka is what to do in between splashes and really committing the timings of his spells to muscle memory.

I've been kinda testing this build out but I've never played Kunkka ever so I need to get a lot of timing down. My first human match was ok (I lost but my score was respectable- I did well against zeus mid, ganked twice, controlled runes and felt like I had good CS/mid game/late game was a different story). However, the team got shut down midgame, I abandoned building BF and went for shadowblade instead.

Anyways, back to the original question at hand...is this really a legitimately pragmatic way to learn/play kunkka? If not, what's the traditional build with him? rush shadowblade and then tank him up?

Also reverse bayonet and divine anchor look so boss...

I think the requirement is to be Level 13, not a particular number of games.

TI booster + couple of games = rankerino eligible.

I could be wrong though.

You're right, I bought a compendium before I started playing and was eligible for ranked after 40-50 games

@mono, he told me how to use him too :D

Fevaweva

Just had a tense 60 minute game that we lost because the fucking clowns on my team decided to run in after an invisible huskar who attempted to steal Aegis and died. They immediately chewed through our base and won.

Fucking pubs man.

Smithy C

Anyone know any good guides or videos for how to even begin playing Lone Druid? Just got the Spirit of Anger bear and this has intrigued me, but I've never played a hero that has to control other units. Tried playing a bot match and got so overwhelmed that I forgot to buy items.

Kard8p3

Anyone know any good guides or videos for how to even begin playing Lone Druid? Just got the Spirit of Anger bear and this has intrigued me, but I've never played a hero that has to control other units. Tried playing a bot match and got so overwhelmed that I forgot to buy items.

Demoli probably has some tips, he is our bulldog

Hylian7

At the very basic level, USE CONTROL GROUPS!

By default selecting units and hitting Ctrl+1-0 will set them to a control group. By default your hero selection key is F1. I use the following when I play LD:

F1 - Sylla
1 - Both
2 - Bear

You can also tab between the units any time. A nice use of this is when you have Phase Boots on the bear, you go tab, Phase, tab.

Don't forget that double tapping a control group key centers the camera on who it selects.

Hopefully that should help you get into controlling multiple units.

Edit: One thing I see many newer LD players neglect is how they use Midas if they go for that. When you use it, swap it to Sylla and use it from him, then put it back on the bear. The reason for this is the attack speed is best on the bear, however if you use the Midas from the bear, you don't get the bonus experience the Midas gives you.

By default selecting units and hitting Ctrl+1-0 will set them to a control group. By default your hero selection key is F1. I use the following when I play LD:

F1 - Sylla
1 - Both
2 - Bear

You can also tab between the units any time. A nice use of this is when you have Phase Boots on the bear, you go tab, Phase, tab.

Don't forget that double tapping a control group key centers the camera on who it selects.

Hopefully that should help you get into controlling multiple units.

I'm curious..why would you need a button for both when holding control down achieves the same thing?

Hylian7

I'm curious..why would you need a button for both when holding control down achieves the same thing?

Personal preference. I don't know if it ever got fixed, but a long time ago of you used the control thing, if someone was disconnected on your team, it moved them too. I had mishaps where I accidentally fed the abandoned teammate because of it.

sixghost

Find hotkeys you like, then just practice. There's no other hero in the game that plays like LD, so it's just something you are going to have to learn. Here's some basic stuff off the top of my head:

In tough lanes, using the bear effectively is going to be the difference between getting nothing, or getting a midas and crushing. You can use the bear as an 1100 range attack to cs while keeping your hero safe, you can use the bear to steal the creep wave and drag it back in front of your tower, you can use the bear to scout for ganks or block camps, etc. You don't really see offlane druid much in pro games, but he's still an awesome offlaner in pubs.

As for items, midas is awesome for the attack speed on the bear and the additional levels. Phase and orb of venom on the bear goes a long way early on. Radiance is always good if you can get it before 20ish minutes. Maelstrom isn't bad at all. AC is great. Basher is good after you get a couple attack speed items. Don't forget about the druid either, having tranquils, wand, and cloak on him can save your ass.

In fights your job is to run the hell away with the druid while staying close enough to the bear so that it can still attack. If you have radiance you can split push with the bear by sending it to another lane, then recalling it when you need it.

Smithy C

F1 - Sylla
1 - Both
2 - Bear

I think I do this. I press 1 and it controls Sylla, I press 2 and it's the bear and I press 3 and it's both. I've not had to press CTRL to do this though, I've got it set to do that through the controls menu. Am I already doing it wrong?

Also, will it just take time and practice for me to not accidentally keep ending up with both Sylla and the bear in the mosh pit of creeps when trying to last hit in lane, or is there some sort of trick to keeping Sylla back a bit and the bear in melee distance?

sixghost

I think I do this. I press 1 and it controls Sylla, I press 2 and it's the bear and I press 3 and it's both. I've not had to press CTRL to do this though, I've got it set to do that through the controls menu. Am I already doing it wrong?

Also, will it just take time and practice for me to not accidentally keep ending up with both Sylla and the bear in the mosh pit of creeps when trying to last hit in lane, or is there some sort of trick to keeping Sylla back a bit and the bear in melee distance?

They added a new option recently in the key bindings for Hero hotkey, all other units hotkey, and all units hotkey. So you can just set that stuff in the menu and not have to worry about doing it in game.

Smithy C

They added a new option recently in the key bindings for Hero hotkey, all other units hotkey, and all units hotkey. So you can just set that stuff in the menu and not have to worry about doing it in game.

Yeah, I think that's the settings I use.

You said you don't see much offlane LD, where do you think he does the most good?

Hylian7

Yeah, I think that's the settings I use.

You said you don't see much offlane LD, where do you think he does the most good?
He meant in pub games. He is a still great offlaner, but pros just don't lane him there.

Offlane, or hell, any lane, is better than LD jungle though. Don't do LD jungle unless your tab comp absolutely forces you to.

Demoli

Control groups are overkill on Sylla. Tab + control are so much better than the old 1 2 3 control groups.

Dont go midas, it's shite unless you jungle, and you shouldnt.

Smithy C

Control groups are overkill on Sylla. Tab + control are so much better than the old 1 2 3 control groups.

Dont go midas, it's shite unless you jungle, and you shouldnt.

I was going to ask is Midas is as core as people made it out to be...

I went Radiance first in the two bot matches I just played, but that was because it was on easy and the all left me alone in the offlane while they bashed into each other over and over. What should I generally go for first if I'm actually playing against another hero? Maelstrom?

Duesy

Similar thing happened to me. Calibration matches don't mean anything if you've already had a significant amount of games under your belt. If you really care about your mmr, don't play ranked at after 11 pm- Seems like teamplay takes a sharp turn for the worse, at least in USW/USE- sharp increase in the number of Peruvians, Fucktards and Russians...

I'm curious for those of you that play Kunkka...what are your thoughts on Attacker1994's Kunkka build?
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2bxays/over_700_kunkka_games_69k_solo_mmr_ask_me/
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/118305301
vid

Summary-
Position- Mid

Starting items- stout shield/tangos/gauntlet of strength/gg branches

Early- bottle/phase/BF

Late- Blink->Daedalus->BKB or Daedalus->Daedalus or Divine Rapier

Skill Build- Take ulti's at appropriate levels/max tide bringer and torrent first/max X last
-if mid has a lot of ganking opp early on, 2 torrent, 1 tide, 2 X.

My Impressions of Kunkka
I dunno why I've been avoiding him as a hero. His skill shots are difficult to land but not as difficult as I imagined...much like most things, a big part is to throw them from where your opponent can't see you. Another thing I was pleasantly surprised with is that Kunkka has really good starting damage and a good attack animation. Getting last hits with him is pretty easy. I always knew about bungie jumping (X-ing yourself and then blinking in) but I never see anyone do it..The major issue I have with Kunkka is what to do in between splashes and really committing the timings of his spells to muscle memory.

I've been kinda testing this build out but I've never played Kunkka ever so I need to get a lot of timing down. My first human match was ok (I lost but my score was respectable- I did well against zeus mid, ganked twice, controlled runes and felt like I had good CS/mid game/late game was a different story). However, the team got shut down midgame, I abandoned building BF and went for shadowblade instead.

Anyways, back to the original question at hand...is this really a legitimately pragmatic way to learn/play kunkka? If not, what's the traditional build with him? rush shadowblade and then tank him up?

Also reverse bayonet and divine anchor look so boss...

Confirmed viable build. If you can get BF and Daedalus within 25 minutes the game is pretty much over for the other team. It is a pretty farm heavy build so take advantage of stacking multiple camps at once with torrent. You can also easily clear ancients so that is another source of income. Combo is pretty easy if you leave x on 2 points. X-->torrent-->boat and any support or squishy hero is dead.

I've been playing kunkka quite a bit these past few days. I'd recommend just downloading a replay of that attacker guy and watching what he does.

don't do this.

It's a high-risk, high-reward build for the highly-skilled and highly-experienced with the hero. Come back to unique builds like this once you've played 60 or 70 Kunkka matches and are looking to branch out beyond the usual items. As a newer Kunkka player, I'd recommend any of the following:

Phase --> Shadowblade --> crystalis --> BKB (if needed) --> Daed --> AC/Heart --> Heart/AC/Moar crit --> whatever else you need.

Situational items include:

Drums
Vanguard
Battlefury
Travels
Bottle (required if going mid)
BKB
Linken's

Also, don't skill build like him. It's sub-optimal because it leaves all of your skills to random chance. The more reliable skill build is:

1-2-2-1 @ 6
4-4-2-1 @ 11 (or 3-4-3-1)

2 points in X-marks *guarantees* a torrent follow-up if casted immediately on the x-marks spot. There is no guess-work involved. if you put the torrent on the spot where you got the X, the torrent *will* hit the target unless they BKB/repel.

Cast combo:

E --> Q --> R. If you hit the Q on the X-spot properly, the full combo *will* hit.

3 points in X-marks guarantees a boat follow-up if casted immediately on the x-marks location. Again, there is no guesswork involved.

Cast combo:

E --> R --> Q. Just X them and drop the boat in the general vicinity, then immediately put the torrent on the X-spot.

Of the two options, I'd say 3 points in X is has a little more leeway. The boat is a larger aoe so you don't have to be exact in its placement, and the extra time you have allows you to better see and place the torrent. With 2 points, the torrent requires you to be within a .25 second window on the torrent cast or you might miss it. All that said, I always go with 2 points in X. It's what I've been doing for a year and it works well for me. 3 points is very popular even among pros because...guaranteed boat is more valuable and the entire combo is more reliable at the expense of some torrent damage.

X-marking yourself is really good for sieging as you can walk up and proc your passive on the enemy with little risk. It's also good for TPing yourself back to base, filling up your bottle charges and coming right back to the action.

In fights, you want to get in there and right-click as much as you can and kite when appropriate. You'll get a feel for this the more you play him. You definitely want to be aware of when your passive is off cooldown and your positioning so that you can maximize the splash damage by hitting as many enemies as possible. That's the core of kunkka. He synergies well with big disablers like Tide, Void, Naga and Enigma. Really, anyone with reliable cc. Shadowblade will ensure you can get into X-marks range without being seen.

inkls

i like the safe cleave combo when you X yourself and then blink in for a quick auto-attack cleave and then get returned back

Top Bottom