• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Guys, I'm gonna teach a good friend how to Dota so I need some basic pubstomp lanes.

Luna/Venge seems to be the most obvious choice since she is primarily a support player in League but we can't just play that all the time. Jugg/CM would be another good one if Jugg was more of a hard carry.

Razzer

Guys, I'm gonna teach a good friend how to Dota so I need some basic pubstomp lanes.

Luna/Venge seems to be the most obvious choice since she is primarily a support player in League but we can't just play that all the time. Jugg/CM would be another good one if Jugg was more of a hard carry.

Give her Skywrath. He is good at harassing in lane, which is probably what a new player will instinctively do rather than pull or roam. And he combos well with anyone really for killing, thanks to a long range slow, a silence and plenty of nukage. Set up with Void or whoever makes for ez ults too which is a devastating combo.

patapuf

we used to have fun with CM/Jugg, if you manage to block him a bit during bladefury it makes for really easy first bloods/kills with her stun and nuke.

PA, Centaur and Viper are also really fun with supports that have a good stun like Lion/Witch doctor/Jakiro or Shadow Shamman. Jakiro is also great at harrassing and uses no mana to do so.

Lich can have a high Impact in lane especially if you want to farm a bit safer.

shira

Has there been any news on when the Demiheroes may be back in stock? They have been sold out since day 1 :/
They should fix the gold trove cask chests first.

Look what inside :(
Clergy Warhammer
Shattered Destroyer
Hellfire Edge
Slicer of the Depths
Hellthorn Scepter
Mattock of Distortion
Aethereal Crescent Wand
Vingspan
The Celestial Bane
Auspice of Iczoxtotec

In addition, this treasure has a chance of containing:
Phantom's Reaper

G.ZZZ

Went from 4875 to 4375 this week lmao. First game of the day, i pick TA for mid, get immediately counterpicked with viper, another guy in my team pick sniper and go mid without saying anything so i go hard solo. 2 mins in, my safe lane feeds 2 kills to enemy weaver, silencer ragequit. -25 in 8 minutes. At this speed i'll get to 2k in no time.

Messiah

Went from 4875 to 4375 this week lmao. First game of the day, i pick TA for mid, get immediately counterpicked with viper, another guy in my team pick sniper and go mid without saying anything so i go hard solo. 2 mins in, my safe lane feeds 2 kills to enemy weaver, silencer ragequit. -25 in 8 minutes. At this speed i'll get to 2k in no time.

But what about forced 50?
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

you went from purge to ultrabum how does that make you feel

Hylian7

all that magic resist on tide for all that opposing team magic dama...

what.

I know, right? I asked him why no Blink and he said "Because I kept getting caught out and couldn't afford shit." With all that money he spent on that hood, he could have had a Blink. Our team had to be ones initiating, and Tide was useless for that. He also let Rubick have ravage a few times.

I don't think people see it as good, I think they see it as 'the absolute least amount of effort to get levels & farm'.
It just boggles my mind that people do this even in ranked. I even hear stories of it happening in 5k, and this was 3.7-3.8k. The fact that he kept doing it AFTER they came and killed him once says a lot too.

He also said "Well Ember had enough time come kill me because you lost mid." LOL, he thinks that whether he win the lane or not means he has time to take a free kill.

inkls

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/18/60...f-legends-valve-dota-prize-pool-international

polygon pls. Is this the 3rd lol polygon article in a week?

"a Riot representative tells Polygon the company is not interested in maintaining a large annual prize pool by "begging" its community for an aspect of the game that it has taken responsibility for."

"According to the eSports head, the company is prioritizing investing in the League infrastructure as whole — a strategy that Riot believes will ensure the longevity of League of Legends as an eSport more than the offer of a giant pool of money each year could."

pumping money into the scene won't make make it last long if it collapse as soon as you pull the plug.

manfestival

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/18/60...f-legends-valve-dota-prize-pool-international

polygon pls. Is this the 3rd lol polygon article in a week?

"a Riot representative tells Polygon the company is not interested in maintaining a large annual prize pool by "begging" its community for an aspect of the game that it has taken responsibility for."

"According to the eSports head, the company is prioritizing investing in the League infrastructure as whole — a strategy that Riot believes will ensure the longevity of League of Legends as an eSport more than the offer of a giant pool of money each year could."

pumping money into the scene won't make make it last long if it collapse as soon as you pull the plug.
its just riot sticking to more traditional tried and true methods in hopes that it plays out for them. They could clearly just state that valve is very fortunate to have had crowdfunding work in their favor but the model that riot runs is not as favorable or whatever they would want to say. Throwing the word begging in there is tactless.

Falk

that puzzling face
Riot is focusing on the more important things to esports like replays and ingame client spectating.

oh

If I build crystalis/daedalus on Luna and proc a crit, will the resulting glaive bounces also do crit damage (with bounce damage reduction), or will only the original target take the crit damage?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Only the original target will take crit damage.

BeesEight

its just riot sticking to more traditional tried and true methods in hopes that it plays out for them. They could clearly just state that valve is very fortunate to have had crowdfunding work in their favor but the model that riot runs is not as favorable or whatever they would want to say. Throwing the word begging in there is tactless.

Also ignoring the fact that Dota has many large scale events throughout the year that simply aren't run by Valve is quaint. As said, they're basically creating a scene that is 100% reliant on them, as the company, to keep it going. Valve's approach is the opposite. From Valve's perspective, you future proof by getting the community infrastructure there so that should Valve go belly-up or (more likely) get bored and move on to other things the community still exists.

This is basically Riot saying "we can't afford to throw 10 million on tournaments" which is understandable seeing that they give their players a salary and run every single League tournament. They're just wrong if they think all that control benefits anyone but Riot.

FtHTiny

Every week i get to wonder myself what it will take to stop the game dodging. Just had to look over 20 mins for a game again but i guess that´s ok.

Einbroch

Banned
I vastly prefer Valve's style, but I still wish there was a league or some kind of point system leading up to TI. I think they're too hands-off, and it's confusing for the casual viewer.

manfestival

Also ignoring the fact that Dota has many large scale events throughout the year that simply aren't run by Valve is quaint. As said, they're basically creating a scene that is 100% reliant on them, as the company, to keep it going. Valve's approach is the opposite. From Valve's perspective, you future proof by getting the community infrastructure there so that should Valve go belly-up or (more likely) get bored and move on to other things the community still exists.

This is basically Riot saying "we can't afford to throw 10 million on tournaments" which is understandable seeing that they give their players a salary and run every single League tournament. They're just wrong if they think all that control benefits anyone but Riot.
Well riot isn't known for its spot on PR statements. It's mostly speculative anyways. Also valve sucks and is trash, stop defending valve.

TUSR

Banned
I know, right? I asked him why no Blink and he said "Because I kept getting caught out and couldn't afford shit." With all that money he spent on that hood, he could have had a Blink. Our team had to be ones initiating, and Tide was useless for that. He also let Rubick have ravage a few times.

He probably piecemeal'ed together the Hood because he kept dying. Didn't know what else to build into, its pretty common.

BeesEight

Well riot isn't known for its spot on PR statements. It's mostly speculative anyways. Also valve sucks and is trash, stop defending valve.

They really are tactless; it's kind of surprising. As a company, I'm surprised they haven't learned to do what pretty much every other company has learned--say nothing. As you said, a simple "this business model would not work with our infrastructure" was all that was necessary but it always comes across as though Riot believes every chance to talk to the press is an opportunity to bash the local competition as though they're all a bunch of kids at a local arcade.

Valve is the worst. Where's techies?

I'm not sure how this BH has enough mental function to use a computer.
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/842582120
43 minute game, he was involved in 2 kills, pretty sure we never had a single track kill.

skill build is fucking AMAZING.

I vastly prefer Valve's style, but I still wish there was a league or some kind of point system leading up to TI. I think they're too hands-off, and it's confusing for the casual viewer.

I agree with this.

Valve needs to work with tournament sponsors to create a FedEx Cup (http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup.html) equivalent in Dota2, where you gain points for finishing in certain places in tournaments throughout the year (differing where you give the top 12 teams in points an automatic invite and the next 8 a playoff spot or something like that). Or otherwise create some sort of leaderboard that explains who is being invited, who isn't and why.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

They could make it like the ATP tour, not sure if it would work well with a scene that tends to be unstable for half the year.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I played a ton of CS:GO this weekend and I gotta say, it made me wish it had the community Dota 2/LoL has.

CS:GO is secretly the worst online community by far. Pre-pubescent kids screaming into their mics every few games, someone begging to be kicked from competitive before the 5th round in literally every match, people blocking doors, attacking teammates, blaring music, etc.

Hylian7

skill build is fucking AMAZING.

I agree with this.

Valve needs to work with tournament sponsors to create a FedEx Cup (http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup.html) equivalent in Dota2, where you gain points for finishing in certain places in tournaments throughout the year (differing where you give the top 12 teams in points an automatic invite and the next 8 a playoff spot or something like that). Or otherwise create some sort of leaderboard that explains who is being invited, who isn't and why.
Joke's on you, that skill build is next level for his MMR, nobody carries TPs so why do you need to stop them?

manfestival

Dota 2 workshop community translator, that's where i got info from. Genuine tags have also been found for these sets, they might add a special event with these.
SD Set - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=300830210
Invoker Set - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=299079296
CK Set - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=300150398
Naga Set - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=300959218
Pudge Set - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=220453803

All those sets are nice but that courier. UHHH so ugly

KingKong

sounds like Navi is unveiling the new squad today and Kuro tweeted "change is inevitable, for the good or bad, time has the answers" so... ripperino

I played a ton of CS:GO this weekend and I gotta say, it made me wish it had the community Dota 2/LoL has.

CS:GO is secretly the worst online community by far. Pre-pubescent kids screaming into their mics every few games, someone begging to be kicked from competitive before the 5th round in literally every match, people blocking doors, attacking teammates, blaring music, etc.

yeah man, people talk about how toxic dota 2 and lol are but its really nothing compared to CS. I had a game where we won easily (like 16-8) and there were still people on our team trash talking and yelling at each other

Nirvana

They aren´t dodging me. They muted someone or just played with one guy and dodge that. When you get unlucky it happens 3 times in a row with around 5 min queue time it gets tiring pretty fast.

Ah ok, makes sense. Maybe you're dodging a bullet then, if these people are stopping you from playing with people who are so toxic they make people leave games before they start...

Bilix

What's the best way to learn new heroes? Been playing for years, but I self only have anyone to play with these days. I was thinking on doing some unranked all random, but then other people might perform poorly by having heroes they don't really know either and I'll get the false sense that I'm doing well.

Razzer

What's the best way to learn new heroes? Been playing for years, but I self only have anyone to play with these days. I was thinking on doing some unranked all random, but then other people might perform poorly by having heroes they don't really know either and I'll get the false sense that I'm doing well.

Just pick one, read up on it, practice.

inkls

I like to take heroes i want to try out for a spin in a few bot games to get an idea of how they work, item builds, etc.

ksan

that's weird, practically never happened to me, just the occasional hacker
Official announcement that KKY and Puppey are out probably

i just want to see kky carry or mid again in my life, actually, make that broodmother mid

Top Bottom