• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This reminds me that I have to learn how to play doom. How do you itemize him? Seems like he's pretty flexible on that front.

I've seen midas/phase/blink or SB/shiva's/aghs...Or is there a more efficient build?

It entirely depends on what you want to do. If you are the main carry for your team, then Cuirass, Shivas, bkb whatevers. If you want to go more utility, then maybe mek/aghs/refresher. Blink is always good if you need the initiation. Please never get Radiance. If you get good early game farm, midas is great especially if you are forced to jungle at the beginning.

inkls

This reminds me that I have to learn how to play doom. How do you itemize him? Seems like he's pretty flexible on that front.

I've seen midas/phase/blink or SB/shiva's/aghs...Or is there a more efficient build?

well. If you're offlane doom, tranquils are pretty good. I tend to get a blink after my boots are finished if you need to ambush a target to doom them (ex: tinker) otherwise you can get a midas first if you think the game will go late.

If you want to go aura doom, vlads is good if you have a melee carry and then get centaur aura (AS and a stun) or wolves (crit passive aura and +30% dmg aura) complement it with AC and other aura items and you're good to go.

Theres also carry doom (build carry items, self-explanatory)

If you plan on using your abilities alot and/or have to buy a mek (good regen and armor that doom needs) shivas is pretty good. You can then go further into aghs + refresher if you need multiple targets doomed or you want to go for pickoffs and still want doom ready for a teamfight. Aghs is REALLY good against a tanky team since they cant outlive the doom.

Very important thing tho, get AC or Shivas. You have crap armor and crap agi gain, so you really need the armor. Buy bkb whenever you feel like it.

I prefer phase but tranqs are good for the offlane. 90% of the time blink > sb.

kvk1

The worst thing in the game is people thinking standing 4-5 guys mid while doing nothing is helping the team.

1) Entire team mid.
2) 5 minutes goes by with nothing happening.
3) You realize the futility, leave the lane for another objective.
4) The nanosecond you leave the entire team crosses the river to die.
5) You're pinged like a maniac.
6) Dota 2.

1) Entire team mid.
6) Dota 2.

lmao I remember those 5on5 staredowns mid. No idea what the fuck those were about.

BeesEight

We are aware that for the entirety of patch 6.81 Faceless Void has a 47.5% win rate in pro matches and a 51.7% win rate in pub matches, right?

I find it interesting that the hero which multiple people claim is 'ruining the game' has such a minimal impact. Icefrog must be doing something right especially when we compare to prior patches (63.6% on Io and 58.6% on Elder Titan in 6.79 for example).

mephixto

Banned
1) Entire team mid.
6) Dota 2.

There are two scenearios on this.

1) Entire team mid.
4) The nanosecond you leave the enemy team crosses the river and kill your team
6) Dota 2

Acinixys

1) Entire team mid.
6) Dota 2.

As soon as the mid stalemate happens I either go farm or push a sideline like a bastard

That usually makes one or two leave mid and either help me push or forces the enemy to leave and defend

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
1) Entire team mid.
6) Dota 2.

Yep this is a scenario which I refer to as "the dance of the tards." Two full teams staring at each other across the river, everybody kind of stutterstepping side to side and forward and back, occasionally popping off a spell but not much really happening. It's a beautiful sight honestly.

Ketch

1) Entire team mid.
6) Dota 2.

This used to happen to my 5 stack all the time, but then we just used it as a reminder to carry TPs.

One thing to mention...if you're going to leave lane during the derp dance mid. two things

1)Take a path where the enemy team doesn't see you leaving (ie- don't run straight down the river or run through the usual warded areas) - usually the reason why 4) happens
2)Carry TP so that if shit does go down, you can TP in to respond/clean up.

kvk1

The problem is the standoff is sometimes justified. You want the threat of your entire team being there to ward off a deathball attempt, entry into rosh, etc.

But at what cost? If your 1 or 2 position sits idly by with no experience/farm gain to show for it, which side is that benefiting more?

I remember Merlini saying a while back that during such prolonged standoffs, making the best of a worst situation would be to have your most initiation based hero pop a smoke, and flank the enemy team through the usual mid-gank routes (http://i.imgur.com/RVZRk0u.png) to initiate a teamfight on your advantage.

kvk1

JVaYEeq.jpg

Haunted

1) Entire team mid.
6) Dota 2.
:lol so true it hurts

1) Entire team mid.
6) Dota 2.

Alternate #4 is you and your team leave mid to kill some jungle creeps for a few seconds and the tower instantly falls to a 5 man push from out of nowhere.

Hylian7

There are two scenearios on this.

1) Entire team mid.
4) The nanosecond you leave the enemy team crosses the river and kill your team
6) Dota 2
Basically. Hate it when this happens, especially when trying to ask the team to do something else does nothing.

dk_

1) Entire team mid.
6) < 2000 MMR Dota 2.

It's why I like playing specter. I have free farm on the side lanes while both teams are reenacting west side story at mid, and if a fight does break out I can haunt in at the last second to kill steal clean up

sixghost

Do you guys have any advice for playing earthshaker in a dual lane? It's easy enough to get kills with him in a trilane, but sometimes I get stuck as the only support with a jungler and I kind of sit there doing nothing because we dont have the damage to actually kill the offlaner. Should I just try to roam?

Gyro is so much fun. I'm usually not interested in playing the hard carry role because all they do is rightclick creeps and put points into their boring passive skills for the first 20 minutes. Meanwhile, Gyro can actually shred people early on and is geared up with 4 super low cooldown spells, ranging from extremely powerful (rocket barrage, flak cannon) to terrible but amusing (homing missile). In team fights, you just aim your ult and homing missile, pop your rocket barrage, flak cannon and bkb, and charge into the enemy mob yelling FIRE EVERYTHING. Great hero.

Do you guys have any advice for playing earthshaker in a dual lane? It's easy enough to get kills with him in a trilane, but sometimes I get stuck as the only support with a jungler and I kind of sit there doing nothing because we dont have the damage to actually kill the offlaner. Should I just try to roam?
Stack a camp, make getting blink a priority. Roaming's not a good idea unless your safe lane hero can solo the lane.

manfestival

Gyro is so much fun. I'm usually not interested in playing the hard carry role because all they do is rightclick creeps and put points into their boring passive skills for the first 20 minutes. Meanwhile, Gyro can actually shred people early on and is geared up with 4 super low cooldown spells, ranging from extremely powerful (rocket barrage, flak cannon) to terrible but amusing (homing missile). In team fights, you just aim your ult and homing missile, pop your rocket barrage, flak cannon and bkb, and charge into the enemy mob yelling FIRE EVERYTHING. Great hero.

How is homing missile terrible? just place one out of sight

kiyomi

you're my hero

Demoli

I nerver got the hate for rocket missile. Its a 2s stun at lvl 1, it may be slow, but you just throw it out there and either force 4 autoattacks or they eat it in the face.

I fuckin love gyro, almost always crush the enemy team on him since I figured out how to play him.

I always just max flak cannon and bully the enemies out of lane with it every time it's up, it's just free harrass without creep aggro which compensates for gyro's poor attack range and low starting hp. I don't care about lane equilibrium on this hero.
Once they run out of regen they play like pussies and the lane is won super hard.

Flak cannon and rocket barrage make it so risky to dive him (stand your ground n fight), and once he's level 6 just dropping a calldown on top of yourself usually turns into a double kill for me and the support even if they kill me.

I don't level missile at all until I need it (one point) to zone out people while taking their tower and stop deny attempts. (it's really good at zoning, and I like it for chasing later on but stats make gyro so much scarier and tankier)
Just max rocket barrage, max flak cannon and tons of points in stats.
Phase-> early dominator for stacking (maybe a bracer or drums first if I'm having to fight with my team early) -> bkb-> mkb-> butterfly or satanic

I love how you can get so much farm on him (and so many levels!) in so little time between the ancient stacking and flak cannon in the jungle. With all the points in stats you are super strong by lvl 15-16 ,and you hit 16 early.
You can play sooooo agressive on him and turn on every dive and every gank attempt.

Midgame is just farm farm farm all day with tps for when the team wants to push or a fight breaks out.
It's also great how big an advantage flak cannon gives you in teamfights, it's so much easier to position yourself if you can just hit any creep or any hero to do your thing without heavily committing right away.

sixghost

I fuckin love gyro, almost always crush the enemy team on him since I figured out how to play him.

I always just max flak cannon and bully the enemies out of lane with it every time it's up, it's just free harrass without creep aggro which compensates for gyro's poor attack range and low starting hp. I don't care about lane equilibrium on this hero.
Once they run out of regen they play like pussies and the lane is won super hard.

Flak cannon and rocket barrage make it so risky to dive him (stand your ground n fight), and once he's level 6 just dropping a calldown on top of yourself usually turns into a double kill for me and the support even if they kill me.

I don't level missile at all until I need it (one point) to zone out people while taking their tower and stop deny attempts. (it's really good at zoning, and I like it for chasing later on but stats make gyro so much scarier and tankier)
Just max rocket barrage, max flak cannon and tons of points in stats.
Phase-> early dominator for stacking (maybe a bracer or drums first if I'm having to fight with my team early) -> bkb-> mkb-> butterfly or satanic

I love how you can get so much farm on him (and so many levels!) in so little time between the ancient stacking and flak cannon in the jungle. With all the points in stats you are super strong by lvl 15-16 ,and you hit 16 early.
You can play sooooo agressive on him and turn on every dive and every gank attempt.

Midgame is just farm farm farm all day with tps for when the team wants to push or a fight breaks out.
If you aren't maxing rocket barrage the other team should just bum rush you if the lane is even remotely contested. Who cares if you are right clicking everyone when you do like 50 damage.

manfestival

Because it takes like 20 minutes to stun someone, and even then their team can kill it. However the buff where it still hits in is heroes is nice.

Yeah I am aware of how it functions. That doesnt make it bad. Just means you have to be smarter in your use of it

Top Bottom