• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

kiyomi

Quoting you because you were last post on the previous page;

A Sentient Keyboard said:
I've seen people say this before but I'm not sure I get the reasoning behind it. I'd like to learn disruptor, so could I get some help with this?

Leveling glimpse reduces it's cooldown and mana cost, and increases it's cast range. However, the cooldown is still such that it can only be used once per fight (65/50/35/20), and the range increase seems a little redundant beyond 2-3 points (600/1000/1400/1800). Meanwhile, thunderstrike is one of the most powerful non-ult nukes in the game (160/240/320/400) with a chance to catch others in it's AOE. Am I underestimating glimpse and/or overestimating thunderstrike? If so, what is the recommended skill build (assuming 4-5 position support, dual or tri safelane)? W-Q-E-W-W-R? Then max glimpse, then thunder strike and kinetic field last? Thanks!

Dire 47
55.32%

Radiant 39
48.72%

Europe West 50
48.00%

US East 29
58.62%

US West 5
60.00%

Other 2
50.00%

I guess the Americans I play with are just too good.

Mohasus

Leveling glimpse reduces it's cooldown and mana cost, and increases it's cast range. However, the cooldown is still such that it can only be used once per fight (65/50/35/20), and the range increase seems a little redundant beyond 2-3 points (600/1000/1400/1800).

Redundant? That's why it is so fuckin good. Basically the enemy can't run away anymore.

Razzer

Yeah, Glimpse range is what makes it super strong. If the enemy ever try to disengage it's basically a free extra kill, you just let them walk away a bit then whoosh. One point in thunderstrike early, as it gives you vision for Glimpse targets. I usually go 1-1-1 then max glimpse, then field then strike.

Redundant? That's why it is so fuckin good. Basically the enemy can't run away anymore.

I dont know, I don't often find myself chasing enemies beyond 1400 range. At that point you just lose sight of them and can't glimpse them anyway.

EDIT:

Yeah, Glimpse range is what makes it super strong. If the enemy ever try to disengage it's basically a free extra kill, you just let them walk away a bit then whoosh. One point in thunderstrike early, as it gives you vision for Glimpse targets. I usually go 1-1-1 then max glimpse, then field then strike.

Ooooooh, I didn't think of the synergy with thunderstrike vision at all. It all makes sense now!

rezuth

Some teams are just... awful, being stuck as a support with a shit team thats not doing anything is literally the worst feeling in the world.

I'M TROLL I DONT NEED ANY BKB, WHATS THIS? OH SHIT SVEN STUN, SB STUN AND ULTI, NOW WARLOCK ULTI? GODDAMN WITH SILENCER NUKING ME ON TOP? HOLY SHIT... but still I don't need a bkb.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Getting more damage is always better because you can kill them before they land their stuns.
Kappa
Can confirm, teleport in planning to stun -> ult troll, get first hit bashed during cast animation and killed before getting spells off.

The troll had bkb anyway

I've been playing Fates Forever the 3 vs 3 (basically the 3vs3 map fro league) moba on iOS that Drew played on UPF stream. It's actually really good, skill shots feel pretty good with the control scheme they have. It has something unique that you don't get with a mouse you get physical feed back from dragging your spells. If my iPad had a rumble the feed back loop from the game would be better.

Does bastion on iOS controls this way?

I am experiencing some serious stuttering within Dota for a couple days now, never happened before. Ping is fine (~33) any idea what could cause this?

kvk1

I am experiencing some serious stuttering within Dota for a couple days now, never happened before. Ping is fine (~33) any idea what could cause this?

It's localized to US East.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2e8bkx/unbearable_lag_on_us_east/

It's happening with other Valve games like CS:GO.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2ecjcb/why_is_the_top_post_not_about_this_lag/

It's been ongoing for the past few days, and, as always, Valve has been excellent at communicating to the userbase what the problem might be.

league has been experiencing issues as well and someone from riot said it was a ddos

it wouldnt surprise me if valve doesnt want to give them any attention like that if that was the case

Sibylus

Banned
QRycB4u.jpg

For Windows 7 I was able to do this quite easily, within 2 minutes.
Download OnTopReplica
Switch desktop to Aero with black background
Open OTR
select Dota as the window
(Select region), enlarge the map

#gamechanger
I'll give this a whirl, 2nd monitor sits idle during games anyway.

kvk1

league has been experiencing issues as well and someone from riot said it was a ddos

it wouldnt surprise me if valve doesnt want to give them any attention like that if that was the case

Ah, that makes sense actually.

There is usually some social media fanfare with large scale ddos disruptions like this though. It's been relatively quiet for the level of bother it's causing.

Edit: Maybe it's quiet because Valve isn't feeding into it. Use your brain, kvk1.

Game seems broken on multiple levels. Just changed game mode settings and find match disappears. Restart game to crash back to desktop but can still hear the music...

Guess I'll play Europe west and US west since East isn't functioning.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's actually counterproductive. At that resolution, your eyes would have to move way too much to absorb all the information the minimap presents.

kagete

My ideal minimap improvement would be a diablo-style TAB or CONTROL triggered minimap that pops up larger over your main field of view with a selectable transparency level.

It would have to be Valve created and a standard feature of the game to stand any chance of getting in but even then, I think most players would then end up playing with it permanently onscreen but at 10% opacity. OK I guess that's a bad idea.

Sibylus

Banned
It's actually counterproductive. At that resolution, your eyes would have to move way too much to absorb all the information the minimap presents.
Yeah, and on a 16:9/16:10 monitor you have a large bars on either side of the map. Will see how it plays in a couple real games, buuut it's kinda janky atm. Needs some (procedural/cheap) anti-aliasing also because the jaggies are pretty bad.

yarden24

but you can look at the main screen and from the corner of your eye see enemy movements on the mini map

Zeth

QRycB4u.jpg

For Windows 7 I was able to do this quite easily, within 2 minutes.
Download OnTopReplica
Switch desktop to Aero with black background
Open OTR
select Dota as the window
(Select region), enlarge the map

#gamechanger

Just set it up in 30 seconds, sweet.

Will give it a whirl. I get the idea that it's not ideal to have to look away, but it's worth a shot.

Haunted

But having such a detailed minimap means you can see that the buildings are actually modelled in 3D on the map.

kJxNCYS.jpg

Speaking of the minimap, I think it's much better to have it show the faces of heroes instead of Xs and symbols. Not having to remember/match the colours is one fewer step my brain has to make to process that information.

Sibylus

Banned
Speaking of minimaps, I think it's much better to have it show the faces of heroes instead of Xs and symbols. Not having to remember/match the colours is one less step my brain has to make to process that information.
I recently switched when I realized they had added team colour borders to the icons finally (albeit they're more coloured auras). When I first tried them there was no aura and the quick-glance quality of the x's was lost.

Speaking of minimaps, I think it's much better to have it show the faces of heroes instead of Xs and symbols. Not having to remember/match the colours is one less step my brain has to make to process that information.

Yeah, I can only really remember the colours of the enemies who are doing me damage

Wonder if they've ever considered showing enemy health bars at the top of the screen for the entire team when they're in sight of a hero or ward, and that of your own team all the time to make it easier to gank without communication, or if that is a purposeful barrier to encourage said communication

Speaking of the minimap, I think it's much better to have it show the faces of heroes instead of Xs and symbols. Not having to remember/match the colours is one fewer step my brain has to make to process that information.
I've switch on having faces on the map rather than symbols. Much more easier to know who are the heroes running around the map.

Zeth

Yeah tried it for a few minutes - not worth it. Requires Aero + Borderless window mode which results in ~60fps which is shit
sick.gif

Jex

I've switch on having faces on the map rather than symbols. Much more easier to know who are the heroes running around the map.

This is pretty helpful advice. I did it about a week ago and it's made things substantially easier now that I don't have to start every match memorising which colour relates to which hero.

shira

This is pretty helpful advice. I did it about a week ago and it's made things substantially easier now that I don't have to start every match memorising which colour relates to which hero.

I don't know why it's frowned upon in professional ranks.

Casters also don't do this for some reason.

Zeth

how is 60fps shit?

It's actually not shit - I was being dramatic. But it is undoubtedly sub optimal once you've crossed the Rubicon to the promised land.

I actually don't even have 144hz - it's an IPS oced to 90, and 60 is still noticeably worse.

Sibylus

Banned
I don't know why it's frowned upon in professional ranks.

Casters also don't do this for some reason.
I'm going to get up on my soapbox for a moment here.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same reason they often don't make use of observers: pride. We don't need any help, we're doing fine as-is! Nevermind that reasonable observers could disagree, and who is is better suited to making that call?

Top Bottom