• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Razzer

It really is the best feeling not being bothered by lack of Techies etc etc. I'm here, chilling, watching Sing strim, and content in the knowledge I have a fuckton of unexplored content to see in the world of Dota. Isn't it great we play a game with such endless depth?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In addition to the tiny set, there is also this:
dota_item_iron_clock_knight_large.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That community manager would probably fall into depression after one month on the job.

Randdalf

can valve hire like one community manager for all of their games, just one ?

To do what?

"Yup we're working on the update"

"Yes we're still working on it"

"Yes it contains Techies as you already know"

"Update is in the pipeline!"

They already said it was releasing at the end of August on their blog, nothing more needs to be said until they're ready to release it.

shira

To do what?

They already said it was releasing at the end of August on their blog, nothing more needs to be said until they're ready to release it.

"We’re aiming for a release by the end of August."

Aim deadline, miss deadline.

Ketch

Short answer: No

Long answer: Noooooo

I've listened to this before and it's so terrible. He gives lots of reasons why communication is bad…. but the truth is BAD communication is bad. If you say something and it ends up getting turned on it's head and pissing everybody off and making you look bad, it's not because you communicated, it's because you communicated poorly.

edit: DOUBLE POST! Suck it bitches!

edit #2: Anybody here ever play war frame on PC for any serious duration? Their community management is amazing, probably the best I've ever seen. I've said this before, but for being so fucking smart about everything else, valve really fucks this part of it up.

Pratfall

I've listened to this before and it's so terrible. He gives lots of reasons why communication is bad…. but the truth is BAD communication is bad. If you say something and it ends up getting turned on it's head and pissing everybody off and making you look bad, it's not because you communicated, it's because you communicated poorly.

edit: DOUBLE POST! Suck it bitches!

The dota 2 community's capacity for taking anything Valve says and twisting it into a promise is breathtaking.

Acinixys

So, this patch

Quoting myself for reddit karma

ehhhh. They barely say anything to begin with.

I don't know what high school was like for you, but have you ever known a girl you really liked but were too shy to talk to? and then one time she says "Hi" to you in the hallway and you spend the next 6 years wondering what she meant?

That's what valve does.

They're so mysterious and secretive, they barely give anybody anything to go on so people naturally latch on to that shit like it's nectar from the gods.

I think I remember blizzard being a lot like this 8 years ago, but they learned how to do it right, and now their community management is waaaaay better then the early wow days. Look at all the D3 stuff, it's fucking good (comparatively).

Valves "Hey man were not corporate douchbags we do things on our own time" shtick was ok in 2000. They need to update their business model to match their customer base and the amount of content they release

Ketch

The dota 2 community's capacity for taking anything Valve says and twisting it into a promise is breathtaking.

I don't know what high school was like for you, but have you ever known a girl you really liked but were too shy to talk to? and then one time she says "Hi" to you in the hallway and you spend the next 6 years wondering what she meant?

That's what valve does.

They're so mysterious and secretive, they barely give anybody anything to go on so people naturally latch on to that shit like it's nectar from the gods.

I think I remember blizzard being a lot like this 8 years ago, but they learned how to do it right, and now their community management is waaaaay better then the early wow days. Look at all the D3 stuff, it's fucking good (comparatively).

Quesa

That's what valve does.

I know it's all just speculation at the end of the day, but when Matt gives us a pretty big hint it tends to be spot on, no? Now, if the update was planned for this week and it's no longer happening (still thinking it'll hit friday even though I'll be out), it might be worth it to either say hey guys give us more time or to just do it like Spring Cleaning and say here are the patch notes drool over them and it'll be up next week/month. Yeah Valve have a philosophy of saying less and having it mean more but it also means they consistently seem aloof and indifferent with regards to what I'd have to assume is their biggest game.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
To do what?

No, to relay shit to the development team like "hey dudes your entire community is on edge for a patch, hold off the -2 items from droplist and just do it with the big one."

Chris R

No, to relay shit to the development team like "hey dudes your entire community is on edge for a patch, hold off the -2 items from droplist and just do it with the big one."

SL ticket had to come out. The other minor shit ya, but this HAD to come out sooner rather than later.

Manus

It really doesn't make any sense. Especially as the game continues to get bigger and bigger.

That's what valve does.

Let me release you from your years of pent up agony.
She meant "hi"

If there was some gamebreaking bug, account info being stolen, game deleting random dlls or you paid for a hat and it dissapeared from your account
that is when they owe you an ETA and updates.
But this 'where's techies', is just : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AzodTPG5U

Ketch

Let me release you from your years of pent up agony.
She meant "hi"

We'll never know what could have been.

If there was some gamebreaking bug, account info being stolen, game deleting random dlls or you paid for a hat and it dissapeared from your account
that is when they owe you an ETA and updates.
But this 'where's techies', is just : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AzodTPG5U

I'm not trying to say they owe us anything. They don't. But that's not the point. Their lack of communication clearly has negative repercussions on the community, and on the flip side, there is literally no down side to effective communication.

The problem is that they're terrible at it, and for a company that is basically the #1 premier PC developer and content distributer in the world it is mind boggling that they continue to have the same problem over and over again.

Like homer simpson in your example the way to deal with the annoying kids in the back seat isn't to ignore them or get upset with them, but to explain to them why they're waiting and why it's okay for them to stop being whiney bitches…. in other words you have to communicate with them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Fuck that, Star Ladder Ticket is important, I'm happy they got it out tonight.

Zeth

Tiny set does look kinda weird at lvl 3 with no particles. Could have been cool. But i think they've established a pattern recently of never going back to add/change particles/effects on recently released (edit: workshop) cosmetics.

Still waiting for that Everlasting Array.

Falk

that puzzling face
Two of the last Three updates were on the 29th and Three of the last four updates were on Thursday.
i stole that from reddit

patch confirmed tomorrow

Thursday isn't the 29th...

Meaning there is a 2/3 chance that it isn't tomorrow and a 3/4 chance it isn't on the day after.

Edit: Since I just got a phone call asking me to explain:

If it follows the pattern that in that there's 2/3 chance for it to be on the 29th, there's only a 1/3 chance that it'll be tomorrow. Meaning it's 2/3rds chance that it isn't tomorrow

If it follows the pattern that in that there's 3/4 chance for it to be on Thursday, there's only a 1/4 chance that it'll be the day after. Meaning it's 3/4ths chance that it isn't the day after.

Odds are stacked against us.

Lotto

August ain't even over yet you blockheads. Bit premature to start wailing on Valve. Permission granted the second August ends though.

Quesa

The moon is a waxing crescent tonight above the Tropic of Cancer

My dousing crystal tells me we will have a patch on the eve of National Trail Mix Day

Ketch

Hey friends, what the best counter to Death Prophet mid?

magic stick and a gank

she's so squishy until she gets a lot of items and has no escapes. It takes a little bit of coordination from your team but she should be an easy gank. Also you'll want an armor aura ASAP to fight under her ulti, so a quick vlads or mek.

shira

August ain't even over yet you blockheads. Bit premature to start wailing on Valve. Permission granted the second August ends though.

No, it's 24 hrs and those crazies at Reddit will start phoning up Matt, spamming Obama and Volvo.
disapprove.gif

268x268.resizedimage

Carrier WK sword 4nexon

Top Bottom