• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rat is exciting because it leads to base racing.

Chinese doto is boring when they farm to have that penultimate battle 90 minutes later.

Eh, disagree. The recent game in the ESL was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The last thirty minutes were the defensive team sitting in their base occasionally getting pickoffs that they couldn't capitalize on in any meaningful way while Bulldog just kept them hemmed in. Just one long stretch of nothing significant really happening for either team

Quesa

Kaboom.

ElatedSpeedyFinwhale.gif

http://www.ongamers.com/articles/dota-2-30th-june-patch-content-analysis/1100-1819/

That gif is among your best work Matt.

ZeroX03

Banned
Play whatever strategy you want / you enjoy / you're good at / is best for the team / is best for that game. 'Boring to watch' is subjective, the winner at the end of the game is not.

Chinese doto is boring when they farm to have that penultimate battle 90 minutes later.

They farm to have a second to last battle?

Nymerio

Play whatever strategy you want / you enjoy / you're good at / is best for the team / is best for that game. 'Boring to watch' is subjective, the winner at the end of the game is not.

They farm to have a second to last battle?

Yes, because everyone's so rich they can buy back and then go for the ultimate battle.

Einbroch

Banned
champ is op as shit

in every game

doesnt matter how hard you shut him down he can team wipe you at 25 mins

had to ask boken for tips vs him

so he'll be nerfed when some newer heroes come along right
They're reworking him, or at least somewhat reworking him. He's either out of control (90% of the games he's in) or does literally nothing.

It's the Rito way. Release a champion, make him/her incredibly strong, then after a few weeks, nerf nerf nerf. Braum was broken, so they nerfed his numbers, and he's actually in a good place now. Except in Yasuo's case, his kit is just too strong to be nerfed by numbers. It's that damn passive. Double crit chance and a massive shield on a 10 second cooldown. Wtf.

Back to Dota, the weather effects are weird to me. The snow one made it almost impossible for me to see certain spell effects. I didn't even know Naga ulted one time.

Low Tier
Let me try a different approach then.

Say Milkman, Anbokr, Haly, Procarbine, and BZM went up against C9. It would actually be a fight for them, and there would be a very real possibility of GAF team losing. If C9 won, does that make GAF team bad?

The point is C9 isn't bad per se, just not the best of the best obviously. The same goes for any sports team. The Houston Astros or Cleveland Browns aren't terrible, just at the bottom of their leagues.

theyd lose 100% of the time

serious answer time:

you're trying to compare apples to oranges, or in this note, professional players against players who have no ambition to go pro. Spectators can easily identify which teams are weaker than other teams, it becomes very obvious, especially when theres such a huge disparity in skill and performance like in dota. Thus, in their environment, they are 'bad' compared to other teams. And coming from someone whos played with and against envy, he is one of the weaker professional players on the scene. He boasts high mmr b/c of his naga picking ways and his pause strats and his whole 'do anything for the win' attitude in pubs that gets him alot of hate from people that play in his tier.

Playing professional dota means you play under the microscope, and that your every move is open to criticism and will sure as hell be attacked. Look at poor ky.xy, look at eg at esl, look at alot of outstanding players that made one or a few mistakes and have these branded unto them. Loda's response was correct, but it was also not very PR, but that's just the kind of person he is, he's not very good at dealing with criticism and tends to attack those who say things that are even a little negative. C9 is definitely one of the weakest teams in professional dota and especially for ti4, and unless they can find more stupid shit to abuse like bottlefountain they won't make it far. They're without a doubt a bad team as far as professional teams go, and that's all that most of the people who are calling them out are saying.

Einbroch

Banned
is he juggernaut?

He's actually one of the most interesting and powerful champions in the game with a lot of interplay in his abilities. Maybe a bit like Ember Spirit? Dashes, quick strikes, etc.

His shield is a shield that builds over time when he moves or dashes. He doesn't have any mana, and gets no actual shield until it's fully charged at 100%. Every three uses of Q he throws out a tornado instead of a short little stab. If any enemy is airborne (either from his tornado or from another champion with a knockup) he can ult on that target and will get his shield fully charged.

He's nuts. Nuts as in hectic and broken as hell.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I logged in and bought Braum when he came out and haven't even played him once. I don't think I've played the game since. The game is getting worse and worse and more and more of reddit/r/leagueoflegends is people complaining about the lack of features Dota has.

I could actually see Dota winning this thing in a few years.

Kappa

ZeroX03

Banned
Yes, because everyone's so rich they can buy back and then go for the ultimate battle.

Aha!

Back to Dota, the weather effects are weird to me. The snow one made it almost impossible for me to see certain spell effects. I didn't even know Naga ulted one time.

Snow feels lazy because the rest of the map doesn't change to show the snow falling l (like HoN at Xmas).

Rain makes the game feel depressing and and look like permanent night.

Moonbeam is an Instagram filter.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So now that Volvo rescinded the absurd level requirement for the weather effects, what is the highest level required to unlock all the other goofy cosmetic stuff like alternate courier skins and stuff? I'm level 30 now without spending any additional money buying points and wonder if I could conceivably level it up enough just doing daily hero challenges, predictions, etc.

So now that Volvo rescinded the absurd level requirement for the weather effects, what is the highest level required to unlock all the other goofy cosmetic stuff like alternate courier skins and stuff? I'm level 30 now without spending any additional money buying points and wonder if I could conceivably level it up enough just doing daily hero challenges, predictions, etc.

level 50, which is when you get the golden Pudgling hook

And you can level up fast enough by selling your cosmetic drops and buying points on the Steam market.

Chris R

So quick question... Should I be building something inbetween blink and refresh on tide?

Also, I kinda didn't realize how much fucking mana refresh used and failed my first level 3 ravage combo because I didn't have enough mana (from full...)

moggio

Banned

Level 50 I think.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's fine guys. I don't think I will have a problem hitting 50 by the time TI rolls around so I don't need to go out of my way just yet. I've been making it a point to do the daily hero challenge every day and there are still a lot of points to be awarded for predicitions + point drops from playing.

Sanjay

Say Milkman, Anbokr, Haly, Procarbine, and BZM went up against C9. It would actually be a fight for them, and there would be a very real possibility of GAF team losing. If C9 won, does that make GAF team bad?

The point is C9 isn't bad per se, just not the best of the best obviously. The same goes for any sports team. The Houston Astros or Cleveland Browns aren't terrible, just at the bottom of their leagues.

Are you serious? Gaf would have no chance against the teams in TI4.

I think a more apt comparison is when people think things like "The best college football team could beat the worst NFL team!"

But the answer is that no, they probably couldn't. Even the worst pro sports teams have more time to train and access to better training tools and methods than even the best amateur teams. (There's also that thing where they're experienced and more physically mature 25-30 year olds vs a bunch of 18-22 year olds).

manfestival

I really want snaggletooth. I would say that one of my favorite couriers is the red moon one of the gama brothers.

Also is it me or is butch > mini poodge

Kard8p3

So quick question... Should I be building something inbetween blink and refresh on tide?

Also, I kinda didn't realize how much fucking mana refresh used and failed my first level 3 ravage combo because I didn't have enough mana (from full...)

Medallion /drums /shivas

Quesa

Still don't know what to do in situations where I pick ES offlane and then someone picks DS and wants to offlane. I ended up supporting kunkka top and it went ok (we lost later but we won that lane). Should I have just gone bot with DS? We had no other supports but it sucks not having your core items/levels when you're in a dual lane.

FACE

Banned

Mek/Pipe/Shiva's and sometimes a force staff is also nice.

Kard8p3

Also Bokr we are vindicated, apparently the ulti showing when you hover over your teammate's diamond was added this patch.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Mek if no other hard support is getting it. Pipe if they're wrecking you guys with magic damage

Enco

Just found out about the whole weather shit.

:lol at Valve. That was downright dirty. Thank god they changed it. It's pretty much the only reason I bought the compendium.

Don't think I'll bother next time. The greediness is mindblowing.

Hylian7

Just found out about the whole weather shit.

:lol at Valve. That was downright dirty. Thank god they changed it. It's pretty much the only reason I bought the compendium.

Don't think I'll bother next time. The greediness is mindblowing.
"They listened to everyone, but still fuck them."

They realized their mistake and fixed it. They did the right thing about it. I'm not sure why everyone is pissed that they still tried it and quickly reverted. Sure, trying to pull that was stupid, but at least they realized that.

FACE

Banned
Nah given the expense I'd say its pretty situational on Tide. Refresher is only like 1000 more and has much more immediate impact.

Shiva's is really good, man. Makes you even more tanky so you can drop some anchors on people and the huge boost to your mana pool is great.

If you're going refresher after mek/pipe then do not get lvl 3 ravage, the damage and stun duration increase aren't worth the increased mana cost.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder how much future Weather Effects are going to cost. Like, is Valve going to charge $20 for Sandstorm?

Enco

"They listened to everyone, but still fuck them."

They realized their mistake and fixed it. They did the right thing about it. I'm not sure why everyone is pissed that they still tried it and quickly reverted. Sure, trying to pull that was stupid, but at least they realized that.
It shouldn't have even be tried in the first place.

It's the thought that counts. You already have millions. You have 1 billion hats on the market, you charge for loading screens and you still want to charge people for something that you told them they would get for their first payment?

I'm sorry but you can't give companies a free pass for trying to fuck consumers.

Yes they fixed it but ONLY because everyone raged at it. If people didn't say anything, they would have happily gone through with it.

Top Bottom