• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

The_Poet

Banned
So I've started playing this with my friend a bit more after ~3 years of HoN.

Are the classic strong lanes in HoN transferable e.g.:

Lina + sand king
Mirana + crystal maiden
sven + leshrac

Anyone got any other strong lanes using DOTA only heroes?

Bane is a nuisance lately. It's almost like more people have learned to play him properly.

Is it me or has dark seer dropped off being viable by a lot? He still has the solo lane push power with shell but other than that he doesn't offer much. Vaccum takes way to long to cool down. Illusions from wall can be hit of miss with damage output.

Sanjay

MOBA Fans: The Middle East Asia of Gaming.

WHOA

rofl how is that ban worthy and my shitposting isnt

No mods read this thread.

haly was spitting real talk with the league players

archie got banned too, im not sure how prolific he is here. but yeah.

Wes banned them both, one time he played League with them and they never got wards. The Black Country never forgets.

This post was great in that thread:-
Valve locking super important gameplay changing things behind a paywall.

cp1VfQa.png

Okay...wtf am I doing wrong with this hero. I just don't seem to win games with him anymore.

Lets do some police work.

7 bkb games, won 4, lost 3.

12 no bkb games, lost 12.

Buy bkb, win more.

Presumably the Euros are up now so for any who haven't seen, here's the list of team descriptions for the TI4 OT that are available.

So the available teams are:

Alliance
Titan
EG - taken by mastershake
Fnatic
NewBee
Vici
Navi EU
DK
IG
C9 - I'm claiming dibs on this one.
Team Empire
Navi US
Arrow
LGD
Mouz - taken by ksan
Liquid
MVP - taken by Steve
VP

Format: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118828241&postcount=1641

I'll like to do IG.

So I've started playing this with my friend a bit more after ~3 years of HoN.

Are the classic strong lanes in HoN transferable e.g.:

Lina + sand king
Mirana + crystal maiden
sven + leshrac

Anyone got any other strong lanes using DOTA only heroes?

Shut it and go solo off lane Chronos or Magmus jungle. WELCOME TO DOTES.

Hylian7

WHOA

No mods read this thread.

Wes banned them both, one time he played League with them and they never got wards. The Black Country never forgets.

This post was great in that thread:-

Lets do some police work.

7 bkb games, won 4, lost 3.

12 no bkb games, lost 12.

Buy bkb, win more.

I'll like to do IG.

Shut it and go solo off lane Chronos or Magmus jungle. WELCOME TO DOTES.

Usually BKB is my next item after Orchid, I just don't always get there.

Presumably the Euros are up now so for any who haven't seen, here's the list of team descriptions for the TI4 OT that are available.

So the available teams are:

Alliance
Titan
EG - taken by mastershake
Fnatic
NewBee
Vici
Navi EU
DK
IG - taken by Sanjay
C9 - I'm claiming dibs on this one.
Team Empire
Navi US
Arrow
LGD
Mouz - taken by ksan
Liquid
MVP - taken by Steve
VP

Format: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118828241&postcount=1641

I'm not sure if I quite understand the point of this.

ZeroX03

Banned
Don't normally play ranked MM, but I decide to solo queue because hell, why not?

Whole team randoms, gives up first blood 30 seconds in and then abandons. Yay.

Pratfall

I wish they got LC into cap mode before TI4, It's the perfect hero to stir up the current meta.

Isn't she basically pudge in that if she doesn't snowball she is completely worthless? Pro's tend to hate those types of heroes outside of fringe picks.

Nymerio

If you just want to have an EZ lane with infinite harass and creep clear try KotL. Have your buddy max battle hunger and spam it on their heroes. Blast horses at their creeps and counter helix and you should have their tower real fast. If you wanna creep skip get some burst heal like Legion Commander with her W or Abaddon with shield and mist coil. I played an Axe game with a support LC one time creep skipping and had a 5 minute blink. Fithiest game of Dota I ever played.

I was actually thinking more about high kill potential. Rhasta nuke + stun + axe was really explosive. And kills in lane translated into very fast towers with serpent wards. We basically started top, got two kills and the tower, we then rotated bot and did the same thing there and then went mid for that tower. Kotl seems kind of a boring axe partner.

Skywrath Mage is a very fun lane with Axe.

Mhh, that's actually a good idea. Silence, Call, Mystic Flare seems like it would be nice.

Axe + Undying offlane is brutal to deal with
Axe + Tree offlane is even worse

Hmm, Axe + Tree sounds like fun. Leech Seed and Living Armor should work really well with Axe. How do skill Undying for maximum annoyance? Tombstone + Decay?

Sanjay

Making you feel welcome.

Did I Stutter?

The game has changed. It's no longer about dual lanes. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by tri-lanes and wild jungle cunts appearing out of nowhere. The game, has become a well-oiled 3-1-1 meta or 1-1-1 with 2 heroes off the map being sneaky sneaky. The game has changed. Offlane heroes now carry. Pro players picking this way enhances and regulate the current game meta. Genetic dual lanes are gone forever. It's all about Battlefield exp control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. The game has changed. When the lanes are under total control, the game ... becomes routine.

I was actually thinking more about high kill potential. Rhasta nuke + stun + axe was really explosive. And kills in lane translated into very fast towers with serpent wards. We basically started top, got two kills and the tower, we then rotated bot and did the same thing there and then went mid for that tower. Kotl seems kind of a boring axe partner.

Mhh, that's actually a good idea. Silence, Call, Mystic Flare seems like it would be nice.

Hmm, Axe + Tree sounds like fun. Leech Seed and Living Armor should work really well with Axe. How do skill Undying for maximum annoyance? Tombstone + Decay?

Max Tombstone ASAP. Usually at level 2 tomb you can get kills if the other team is pushed towards your tower. It's very strong early and mid game.

Acinixys

Axe takes 1 in call and 1 in spin and then maxes spin
UD takes 1 in decay and 1 in tombstone and then alternates skilling them

After 2 decays you go in and call while UD drops his stone BEHIND them so they cant run.

I think the last time i did it with some random playing undying we were 9/0 and 10/0 at 8 mins. Its a super retarded lane to go against. If your enemies are ranged its a little harder to pull off but if youre vs a dual melee lane its the easiest kills of your life. You just have to remember to call into the enemies creepwave for increased spin chance

I wish the courier could just auto pickup any items that I purchased that were subsequently dropped in the jungle by one of my asshat teammates.

KingKong

Oh Loda http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/01/e...nd-the-impact-of-winning-the-international/2/

It bothers me, the way the community sometimes reacts to the way you play—the whole 'rat Dota' thing. It seems like such a misunderstanding of how sport works.

It's... it's just a result of you being bad and not really understanding. Pro players don't look at it the same way. Pro players don't feel that rat Dota is a worse way to play than any other way. It's a skilled thing that you can pull off or you can't. If you look at League of Legends, for example, rat Dota or whatever you want to call it is pretty much something they hype. If somebody split pushes well in League of Legends they're like "oh my god, they're playing so well".

I don't know. I mean, you can take some offense from it but I don't know that we care so much. We live in a world where people are stupid.

Ha. That's true.

No, but it is. So many Dota players are bad. So many of the casters are bad if you compare them to pro players. I'm not saying that out of arrogance, it's just how it is. It's just the top 0.1% of the players that are good enough to understand all the aspects of the game, and if it was easy to play split push and rat Dota everyone would do it—but they can't. That's enough proof for us that it's just about outsmarting your opponent.

I wonder if it's because it's less visible than a gank or a teamfight or something.

Yeah, exactly. People hype stuff that is obvious to the eye. If someone goes for a solo kill—"oh, he's really good." People see what is easy to see, and casters see what is easy to see. Casters say a lot of wrong stuff a lot of the time as well—they analyse situations wrong.

Hylian7

I wish the courier could just auto pickup any items that I purchased that were subsequently dropped in the jungle by one of my asshat teammates.
I've had teammates do that to me a few times. What's worse is dropping them somewhere on the other side of the map where you have no map control.

Usually though, if the other team sees your item, and you tell them who did it, if you ask the other team to report them, they usually comply. Probably one of the few situations where asking other team to report someone will actually work.

shira

YES! CYBORG UP!!
13141-surprise.png

Code:
New strings relating to signatures in chests and attaching an autograph to an item.

+ "Crate_Browse_Signatures" "Browse Signatures"

+ "Crate_Browse_Signatures_Text" "OR Add an official signature to your treasure for only ..."

+ "Crate_SignatureUpsell" "Available as an officially autographed item!"

I don't like this. . .

Loda's not completely wrong.

However the common line of thinking in the Dota community is "if someone isn't super pro 1st place TI Winner, they are bad."

Granted a good chunk of it is facetiousness and sarcasm, but a lot of it is also real.

A good example: EternalEnvy
my secret identity

Lots of people give EE shit and will say he is the worst player in C9, etc. Yet your own stack vs C9 in most cases here (including my own) would lose to C9.

The Dota community can be very black and white.
Agree. It's the same in any sport. You don't have that pro player understanding so you parrot something easy to feel like you are involved in the discussion: IE twitch chat

Hylian7

Loda's not completely wrong.

However the common line of thinking in the Dota community is "if someone isn't super pro 1st place TI Winner, they are bad."

Granted a good chunk of it is facetiousness and sarcasm, but a lot of it is also real.

A good example: EternalEnvy
my secret identity

Lots of people give EE shit and will say he is the worst player in C9, etc. Yet your own stack vs C9 in most cases here (including my own) would lose to C9.

The Dota community can be very black and white.

traveler

Not Wario
I think he's misattributing some of the reasoning. I don't dislike rat dota because I think it's less skillful or less effective or whatever- I just don't think it's fun to watch and it's not fun for me to play. That's it. It's absolutely an effective technique and, given Alliance's proficiency at it, they'd be foolish not to fully utilize it.

xanavi

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give FreakinChair Physical Description ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Hylian7

I am lost there.

The Cleveland Browns suck, but they'd kick me and my friends' asses.

That doesn't mean they don't suck.
Let me try a different approach then.

Say Milkman, Anbokr, Haly, Procarbine, and BZM went up against C9. It would actually be a fight for them, and there would be a very real possibility of GAF team losing. If C9 won, does that make GAF team bad?

The point is C9 isn't bad per se, just not the best of the best obviously. The same goes for any sports team. The Houston Astros or Cleveland Browns aren't terrible, just at the bottom of their leagues.

shira

Let me try a different approach then.

Say Milkman, Anbokr, Haly, Procarbine, and BZM went up against C9. It would actually be a fight for them, and there would be a very real possibility of GAF team losing. If C9 won, does that make GAF team bad?

The point is C9 isn't bad per se, just not the best of the best obviously. The same goes for any sports team. The Houston Astros or Cleveland Browns aren't terrible, just at the bottom of their leagues.

I think when you take pro IRL sports teams into account you are using your displeasure in the amount of money they are making and shaming them because your own salary is in the 5-6 digit ranged as opposed to the 7-8 digit range. And that compared to other 7-8 digit range players they are bad. Using hyperbole to explain that they are worse than X is common.

I recognize that it takes skill to pull off. It just stretches the moments of actual gameplay significance wide, leaving us with enormous boring lulls where nether team can make a appreciable step towards victory

Rat is exciting because it leads to base racing.

Chinese doto is boring when they farm to have that penultimate battle 90 minutes later.

Top Bottom