• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

Ghazi

Pretty much what amounts to my first real match in Dota. I played a really easy character, Lich, and did somewhat decent, I believe. Video is here: http://www.twitch.tv/ghazzarro/b/544199332

If anyone could give me any pointers, that'd be much appreciated. I would type everything out, but I don't really understand much to explain it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Apparently having 400+ Iron Branches on the ground will cause the server to crash. Not a huge surprise to be honest, though it would be nice if Valve could fix the root cause instead of doing some band aid fix, since long term model limits are going to be a huge strain on community mods.

Ghazi

Here are my endgame stats, probably better:

jU0Hla5.png

Team: Titan

Players: kYxY, Yamateh, Net, Xtinct, Ohaiyo

Recent results: 1st place GEST SEA June, 1st place MSI BeatIt Cup June, 1st place joinDota League Season 1 Asia

Signature heroes:
kyxY: Invoker, Magnus, Mirana, Naga Siren
Yamateh: Queen of Pain, Leshrac, Storm Spirit
Net: Sand King, Lion, Rubick
Xtinct: Enchantress, Chen, Visage, Leshrac

What to say when they are winning:
Y-GOD
Stay in the trees!
What to say when they are losing:
kyxY can only deny things
Don't stay in the trees!

General description:

Titan is the sole team from the SEA region to earn a direct invite this year and are 4/5 players of last year's third place team Orange. The missing player, however, is Mushi, probably last International's MVP and one of the best mid players in the world. Titan initially struggled with his departure, struggling to find a fitting teammate. In the end Yamateh joined them, a legend in his own right. He was the one of the first non-Chinese players that was respected (and feared) by the Chinese teams and fans, and earned the nickname Y-God.

Titan's strengths are the high individual skill of their players, which often enables them to win their lanes and snowball into an early victory. On the flip side, their late game decision making is often very shaky, the team has a history of losing games in the late game against Chinese teams.

I've started a team thing for Titan, you guys are welcome to expand on it (especially when they're winning/losing.. not sure what to put in there)

Chris R

Yeah I know.

Well, for someone's VERY FIRST game I think 0 denies is a fine number. Maybe they don't know denies are a thing or maybe the carry was doing all the denying :p

Where can you see which heroes you have never played?

If you have your account open to DotaBuff you can see which heroes you have played with... Maybe they should have a "Never Played" tab...

Wok

Apparently having 400+ Iron Branches on the ground will cause the server to crash. Not a huge surprise to be honest, though it would be nice if Valve could fix the root cause instead of doing some band aid fix, since long term model limits are going to be a huge strain on community mods.

So now, I know how not no to lose.

Where can you see which heroes you have never played?

It is a pay-to-see feature.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here are my endgame stats, probably better:

jU0Hla5.png

It looks like you did pretty well that game, but one thing that sticks out is you managed to get 0 normal denies, you should try and work on that.

Your team never had a flying courier despite it being 30 minutes into the game. Also, realize the courier is a thing and try to use it, you had 10k unspent gold at the end of the game.

Ghazi

Oh shit, I didn't see his first post on the page.

Sorry, I have no idea what I'm doing. Denies are taking a friendly kill/minion from an enemy by using Sacrifice (i.e, I know it doesn't count now) or killing the enemy hero?

In actuality, this was my 17th match on my account, but I never really paid attention to the game and just goofed off. I'm also that guy who had a meltdown and dive bombed the enemy base as OD ages ago. I just suck more, now.

It looks like you did pretty well that game, but one thing that sticks out is you managed to get 0 normal denies, you should try and work on that.

Your team never had a flying courier despite it being 30 minutes into the game. Also, realize the courier is a thing and try to use it, you had 10k unspent gold at the end of the game.
Probably should've gotten the courier, yeah. I know about it, I didn't have enough gold at the beginning and then forgot about it. I'll have to google what denies are.

e: I googled it. Interesting, I didn't know you could do that. But, I did do it. I used Sacrifice a lot on creeps that were about to die to enemy heroes.

Razzer

I've started a team thing for Titan, you guys are welcome to expand on it (especially when they're winning/losing.. not sure what to put in there)

Cool, I'll add you to the list. Don't worry about the what to say stuff, some teams just don't have many memes around them. You covered what there was though.

Pratfall

You two should add me, I'm a newbie and I regularly play with other new friendly people. Join us and enjoy not being shouted at by angry people and having the illusion our team knows what they're doing. My steam account is Print Screen, the one with the actual print screen button as an avatar.

Feel free to add me as well. Pratfall on steam. I don't play a ton but I am still a relative beginner, 170 wins or so and would like to stop solo queuing.

Getting exposed to as many heroes as possible is a good thing, learning the nuances of abilities is so beneficial to skill growth in this game.

Use him to shit on Mirana if they stick her in a tri.

Yeah I figured it was best to know more then one character, going to try and mix it up more often.

You two should add me, I'm a newbie and I regularly play with other new friendly people. Join us and enjoy not being shouted at by angry people and having the illusion our team knows what they're doing. My steam account is Print Screen, the one with the actual print screen button as an avatar.

I shall add you when I'm next on.

Chris R

Sorry, I have no idea what I'm doing. Denies are taking a friendly kill/minion from an enemy by using Sacrifice (i.e, I know it doesn't count now) or killing the enemy hero?

e: I googled it. Interesting, I didn't know you could do that. But, I did do it. I used Sacrifice a lot on creeps that were about to die to enemy heroes.

You get gold from last hitting creeps but you can prevent the enemy from getting ANY gold and getting full experience by last hitting your own creeps (press 'A' left click ally creep when it's low enough)

And you want to use sacrifice on the creep with MOST hp if possible, more mana back for you. So target a melee creep before it starts to fight the other creeps.

Ghazi

You get gold from last hitting creeps but you can prevent the enemy from getting ANY gold and getting full experience by last hitting your own creeps (press 'A' left click ally creep when it's low enough)

And you want to use sacrifice on the creep with MOST hp if possible, more mana back for you. So target a melee creep before it starts to fight the other creeps.

I used Sacrifice properly on creeps with full hp. I meant just at times when there were low hp creeps around, I took care of them. I targeted the mage creeps, is that bad?

I did not know about last hitting your own creeps, I will keep that in mind.

Chris R

I used Sacrifice properly on creeps with full hp. I meant just at times when there were low hp creeps around, I took care of them. I targeted the mage creeps, is that bad?

Eh I won't say it's bad since you prevent the enemy from getting gold for killing the creep, but you won't get much mana back from a creep that is almost dead. Much better to just regular attack to deny them instead (when you deny correctly you will see a ! pop up over the creep in your player color).

Zeth

Generally you want to sacrifice melee creeps, who have much more hp = mana.

Last-hitting your own creeps is called denying. It's unrelated to Lich's skill Sacrifice - I think that might be mixing things up a bit. But it's usually a good idea, especially if you're a hero like Lich who is hanging in lane with someone else who is farming (last-hitting enemy creeps) while you kind of babysit them and harass enemy heroes to give them space.

FACE

Banned
I think you mean Rubick, but the community was never going to pick a support in the end. :(

Even the voice pack and model rework will go to carries.

Imagine if Rubick got custom spell effects for the ultimates he stole, I would have bought that instantly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Rubick has a ton of custom animations already, but I think what people really want is custom particles (Which would actually be Pay-to-lose, but what ever)

Also, I had a feeling they would put out chests for all the pro items.

Chris R

Friday: Winners Bracket - 3 sets
Sat/Sun: Losers Bracket - 4 sets Sat / 2 sets Sun?
Monday: Grand Final

At least that's what the website makes it seem like.

FACE

Banned
Rubick has a ton of custom animations already, but I think what people really want is custom particles (Which would actually be Pay-to-lose, but what ever)

Also, I had a feeling they would put out chests for all the pro items.

Pfft, who cares about winning. I want my shiny spell effects.

Why would it be pay to lose?

Edit: And rubick does have a bunch of cool custom animations that I managed to miss because I don't pay enough attention.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, so they are going to give most of the teams money. I still feel 15th-19th should get something, but as long as you aren't the worst 2 teams there you get some money.

Razzer

I am watching this for the first time and while I dont understand what hes saying for the most part.... I find this hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IZ_fctnakE

dat pudge(I know this is old)

Man, seeing that makes me depressed for what russians have to go through. Yes, he was raging and thats bad (and funny), but the pudge was just taking the piss and dismissing him just cus he was russian. I guess I'm too sensitive.

inkls

Pfft, who cares about winning. I want my shiny spell effects.

Why would it be pay to lose?

Because it would clearly tell the other team that its not an allied spell. Part of his success is the element of surprise. See: people walking into a rubick ice path thinking its an allied one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well fuck, I'm counting up the cost of the stuff in my head and the price is quickly soring...

Wish the Pins were $5, $10 is a bit steep.

Also, I wonder if those trading card items are exclusive to the event.

FACE

Banned
Because it would clearly tell the other team that its not an allied spell. Part of his success is the element of surprise. See: people walking into a rubick ice path thinking its an allied one.

I hadn't even thought of that guess that means I'm a scrub.

Top Bottom