• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

This is really shit. I already get the same 3 rares every time I open a lvlup gift. Now im going to get that fucking Pugna ward every time

Last week they added a 4 piece rare set to the drop system (all 4 pieces are rare)

It's a 3 year old Ice Tiny set, but it's... something. Surprised that newish Mirana and Earthshaker sets from the store aren't in the system yet.

Zeth

How does blink>aghs brewmaster works?I find that you are pretty much useless after you use your ulti.I prefer phase>drums>vlads>s&y/basher>ac since all have to do is hit them do death.Brew's passive is underrated IMO.
If you're not already using all three spirits' abilities, giving them each an additional spell with aghs probably isn't worth it for you.

I think you can build him as a straight up brawler in pubs it's just not as efficient as using him as a position 2-3 initiator/teamfighter.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay techno I'm watching the game.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to absorb it, but at the moment what's frustrating me is the feeling that every time we made a mistake they were able to capitalize on it ridiculously well, but every time they made a mistake we couldn't do shit about it

Also I'm incredibly mistrustful of ganking these days because it seems like whenever you go to gank someone three of their teammates were hanging around also and everyone dies.

Randdalf

How does blink>aghs brewmaster works?I find that you are pretty much useless after you use your ulti.I prefer phase>drums>vlads>s&y/basher>ac since all have to do is hit them do death.Brew's passive is underrated IMO.

He's a difficult hero to play because his ult needs good micro, especially so with Agh's.

What I generally look to do when initiating.
1. Blink in and use Thunder Clap.
2. Use Primal Split.
3. Immediately use the Hurl Boulder on whoever you want to kill
4. TAB once to the Storm spirit and use Cyclone on whoever you want to either kill later or take out of the fight. Agh's: use Drunken Haze on an enemy you either want to slow or significantly reduce their right-click damage.
5. Manually select your Fire spirit and make him attack your primary target. Agh's: the Fire spirit will get passive crits.
6. Agh's: Micro your Earth spirit to use Thunder Clap on your primary target and then auto attack.
7. After your primary target has died (or run away), cycle to Wind spirit and use Dispel Magic on the hero you used Cyclone on to bring them down (if they're not down already).
8. Your skills should be starting to come off cool down, and you can essentially do the same thing once more.

All this said, how you use Brew really depends on the team fight, because it might make more sense to use his skills defensively. He excels as an anti-carry, because Cyclone allows you to take an enemy hero out of the fight for 6 seconds, plus his Drunken Haze allows you to give the enemy a significant miss chance.

RS4-

re: PA and when/when not to get BF.

Say I'm playing against Furion or something and need something to clear out trees and creeps. Do I bother with a BF? Do I go something like a mael ~ mjoll?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
re: PA and when/when not to get BF.

Say I'm playing against Furion or something and need something to clear out trees and creeps. Do I bother with a BF? Do I go something like a mael ~ mjoll?

When to get BF: When you have a comfortable gold lead and your team is taking control of the map without your help.
When to not get BF: When your team is at risk of losing map control/momentum and they need you to "go online" sooner.

BF can be good against push strats but remember that by the time you get BF, the Furion will have taken down maybe 3-4 towers so you'll have to ask whether it's really worth it.

The Technomancer

Also I didn't think Slardar would be able to two-shot me at four minutes in. Slardar is like Ember Spirit: whenever I play him I do horribly because he has no early game damage, but whenever I play against him all of the sudden he's an early game monster

Ultimatum

Banned
BF can be good against push strats but remember that by the time you get BF, the Furion will have taken down maybe 3-4 towers so you'll have to ask whether it's really worth it.

except most of us here aren't playing against bulldog-tier furions

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
except most of us here aren't playing against bulldog-tier furions

It doesn't take a Bulldong to take down towers as furion.

Pubbies' inability to rotate + refusal to TP = Goodbye towers.

The Bulldongs only really come out at higher levels.

Manus

Also I didn't think Slardar would be able to two-shot me at four minutes in. Slardar is like Ember Spirit: whenever I play him I do horribly because he has no early game damage, but whenever I play against him all of the sudden he's an early game monster

It's cause he is an early game monster. From level 6 to about 10 all he needs is blink and to just apply his ult on people and it's free kills everywhere.

winter is coaching alliance?
surprise.gif

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does anyone have the time to check out this 59 minute Rat doto game I played last night and give some advice? We almost won, but a badly timed death led us to losing a base race

I haven't played much Nature's Prophet so I really need some advice on how to play him in games like these better. Should we have teamfought more? It was difficult deciding whether to join fights or use that time to split push. I generally chose to avoid teamfights because our TA was really freaking bad and I am not confident with Furion's damage output. I think we could have timed our split pushing better between me and PL as well. Also, this was the first time I played NP offlane and I'm not really sure what the skill build should be for that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to absorb it, but at the moment what's frustrating me is the feeling that every time we made a mistake they were able to capitalize on it ridiculously well, but every time they made a mistake we couldn't do shit about it

Also I'm incredibly mistrustful of ganking these days because it seems like whenever you go to gank someone three of their teammates were hanging around also and everyone dies.
I was a little rough but overall I think it's just a mindset thing. I know jakku NEVER plays carries so he just needs to work on his farming game, I don't blame him for that.

That was an interesting read. This gives some nice perspective. I should take the time to analyse my games too. I have time for so few so might as well optimize it.
It's very helpful to watch yourself play. You notice tons of mistakes and in general it's good to remind yourself you look terrible. I need to do it more often.
I think he got like two bashes off on you so it was unlucky. The brew could have saved you with a tornado and a rock across the DP and the slardar but yeah that hero is hard.

Hylian7

No matter what bad shit I see in pubs, I try to remind myself that average Dota 1 pub skill was much much worse. The few Dota 1 pubs I played had so many things that even the worst players at my MMR (like the Faceless Void in my stream the other day) would laugh at. 4 couriers sitting in base, dual core lanes, people not understanding Blink Dagger Tinker, Dagons and Vanguards everywhere.

The Technomancer

I was a little rough but overall I think it's just a mindset thing. I know jakku NEVER plays carries so he just needs to work on his farming game, I don't blame him for that.
No you're absolutely right about all of the mistakes we made. I just feel like their general strategy was much more able to both absorb their mistakes and capitalize on ours. The problem with playing a defensive game against a team that's offensive is that when you're defense fails you're screwed

What I don't understand is why the last few months have seen such a spike in this kind of play, at least in my experience. Is it the current meta? The current patch? is it my MMR going up and so I'm going against higher level strategies? I don't want to say the onus should be on the offensive team not to screw up because that leads to a 75 minute meta, but I don't like this either, this consistent pattern of gameplay I'm seeing over and over. I just like variety :/

Razzer

No you're absolutely right about all of the mistakes we made. I just feel like their general strategy was much more able to both absorb their mistakes and capitalize on ours.

You should draft a gaming lineup, those are fun. Go aggressive tri and fight from level 1, just fuck people up. Undying, axe, tree, tusk, sky, that kinda shit. Even if you lose you're gonna have a damn good time doing it.

No matter what bad shit I see in pubs, I try to remind myself that average Dota 1 pub skill was much much worse. The few Dota 1 pubs I played had so many things that even the worst players at my MMR (like the Faceless Void in my stream the other day) would laugh at. 4 couriers sitting in base, dual core lanes, people not understanding Blink Dagger Tinker, Dagons and Vanguards everywhere.

Can we have a Dotabuff link of that Void game?

None of the streams I watched yesterday gave me views on my gems, so I'm just going to assume they're all broken or not set up right.

Which is kind of really stupid...

Hylian7

Can we have a Dotabuff link of that Void game?
http://dotabuff.com/matches/764360837

I didn't play particularly amazing, but Void really wasn't a team player at all. I tried to communicate with him to set up a wombo combo with a chrono, but he did nothing. If you watch the VOD (if you can find the game) from my stream, I said multiple times "Hey Void, if you Chrono X we can kill him!"

There was one on Ember on bottom lane. Flame Guard wasn't up, he didn't see me. I asked Void to Chrono, he keeps bopping creeps right in front of Ember. I said "fuck it" and came out for a silence, and of course Ember zipped off before I could get it.

Another one was a perfectly clumped 5 man Chrono in the river, but nope, lets give them time to react and pop Silence! Then he does Chrono... And it misses the ONE PERSON it was meant for and just blocks me and the rest of the team. I forget who it was, but someone in chat said "LOL, well he got his ulti off..."

Razzer

http://dotabuff.com/matches/764360837

I didn't play particularly amazing, but Void really wasn't a team player at all. I tried to communicate with him to set up a wombo combo with a chrono, but he did nothing. If you watch the VOD (if you can find the game) from my stream, I said multiple times "Hey Void, if you Chrono X we can kill him!"

There was one on Ember on bottom lane. Flame Guard wasn't up, he didn't see me. I asked Void to Chrono, he keeps bopping creeps right in front of Ember. I said "fuck it" and came out for a silence, and of course Ember zipped off before I could get it.

Another one was a perfectly clumped 5 man Chrono in the river, but nope, lets give them time to react and pop Silence! Then he does Chrono... And it misses the ONE PERSON it was meant for and just blocks me and the rest of the team. I forget who it was, but someone in chat said "LOL, well he got his ulti off..."

Every single one of the players with dotabuffs had pudge in their top 10 heroes played, and most had him top 5. Absolutely disgusting.
sick.gif

Razzer

The fuck did I just read

But were they good Pudges?

Well, they all had winrates at or below 50%, except you and Brew, who only had 3 games on him. So you appear to be the best pudge of the lot by far, though winrate is not everything obviously.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What stream were you watching? I was watching the multicast all day and only got the 1 Liquid view from watching a game in-game later in the day.

Oh sorry, I misread that you were referring to streams. No they weren't set up for yesterday, James said they'd fix it for today.

DanSaxon

Do you reckon there will be a point (If they continue with this format) where every single game of the International will be played at separate times ? Like at the minute I'm stuck between watching Alliance vs iG and DK vs Fnatic, I could always watch the multicast but at the minute the juries still out for how effective it will be.

Hylian7

Well, they all had winrates at or below 50%, except you and Brew, who only had 3 games on him. So you appear to be the best pudge of the lot by far, though winrate is not everything obviously.
Pudge is a viable hero and I still stand by that.

Razzer

Pudge is a viable hero and I still stand by that.

Oh for sure, he just usually represents a certain kind of player. And the fact that he gets picked way more than any other hero, even invoker or mirana or the likes, is annoying, cus i like variety.

Hylian7

Oh for sure, he just usually represents a certain kind of player. And the fact that he gets picked way more than any other hero, even invoker or mirana or the likes, is annoying, cus i like variety.
Really? I see Invoker and Mirana waaaaaay more than I see Pudge.

Top Bottom