• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvk1

Not sure why pro players keep using Skype.

Probably stubbornness and familiarity.

EE is a guy who freaks out when the armrest of his seat at a tournament isn't just right.

Imagine trying to get him to change his habits on something as vital as a communication software for the team.

Not sure why pro players keep using Skype.
It's not for the voice comms, it's for the IMing. Everyone and every organisation uses Skype.

If i actually had some free time Id like to develop my own alternative. Alas I don't so yeah. Until we find an alternative that everyone is willing to switch to this will keep happening.

I actually tried to discuss the issue with Microsoft once but it was like talking to a brick wall. We did get one feature to help protect the users IP but that was bypassed weeks later.

kvk1

I watched the replay and found dark seers ward. It was millimeters from being detected by both of your sentries. :(

Dota 2.

highfive.gif

I was telling inkls yesterday, we came back from a 20,000+ deficit and made it dead even when our throne went down.

That was one of those fun games to lose.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I got an email today saying that I was a "fucking moron" for going on holiday when the players need help from the DDOS attacks.

At this stage I just have to laugh. Nothing surprises me any more.

Save us lord Matt!

Why have you forsaken us?!?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's not for the voice comms, it's for the IMing. Everyone and every organisation uses Skype.

If i actually had some free time Id like to develop my own alternative. Alas I don't so yeah. Until we find an alternative that everyone is willing to switch to this will keep happening..

There's no need to develop a solution, there are plenty of alternatives out there. The fact that people stick with Skype after all the issues it causes is just stupid.

FACE

Banned

If i actually had some free time Id like to develop my own alternative. Alas I don't so yeah. Until we find an alternative that everyone is willing to switch to this will keep happening.

I actually tried to discuss the issue with Microsoft once but it was like talking to a brick wall. We did get one feature to help protect the users IP but that was bypassed weeks later.

sad.gif

I just want to watch some Dota.

Dota 2.

highfive.gif

I was telling inkls yesterday, we came back from a 20,000+ deficit and made it dead even when our throne went down.

That was one of those fun games to lose.

Dark Seer tried his hardest to throw.

What does it provide as an IM client that makes it so desirable?

kvk1

SS is such a polarizing hero, there is no middle ground.

haha, i was the shadow shaman

my thinking at the time was that we were pushed way back into our base and had no mek at hand

so i'd go halfway and build an urn for some heals while using the rest of the gold to keep a steady supply of some aggressive wards on the map

but in hindsight a blink dagger would have gotten the team so many more opportunities at better engagements

Acti

Why aren't they using Mumble, Teamspeak or Ventrillo for VoIP comms?....
rage.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why does D2CL not use twitch? Seriously tho
I think they are partially sponsored by daily motion, but I find the streaming platform to be horrible, so I basically boycott them and refuse to watch or buy anything they produce until they change it.

Pratfall

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't think about that when I drafted him. I should have asked.

no need to apologize. I love playing new heroes. I just think I boned up a couple of things because I don't know the ranges on his spells very well. Also I should have built a force staff and I should have been 5 on farm priority. Shaman needs items.

shira

Who needs to throw when our Shadow Shaman had 0 tower damage all game and bypassed a blink dagger for an Urn and half of an aghs?

Dumbass.

"Hey I won my last game with this exact build that I read from the top-rated guide on Steam. That means it's legit; if we lose it's somebody else's fault."

Why aren't they using Mumble, Teamspeak or Ventrillo for VoIP comms?....
rage.gif

cyborgmatt: it's for the IMing

There's no need to develop a solution, there are plenty of alternatives out there. The fact that people stick with Skype after all the issues it causes is just stupid.
It's more of a case of giving them a reason to switch. Imagine something like skype with steam integration, tournament ladders, brackets, teams etc. if you make things easier for them it gives them a good reason to switch.

It's more of a case of giving them a reason to switch. Imagine something like skype with steam integration, tournament ladders, brackets, teams etc. if you make things easier for them it gives them a good reason to switch.

Not suffering DDoS attacks sounds like a great reason

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

I'd imagine a good reason to switch would be to stop people from getting DDoS'd.

FACE

Banned
no need to apologize. I love playing new heroes. I just think I boned up a couple of things because I don't know the ranges on his spells very well. Also I should have built a force staff and I should have been 5 on farm priority. Shaman needs items.

Everything but the silence(and even that has decent range) has ridiculous range.

Does valve have the appetite to do something with voice chat?

They changed the codec and that was it. Been in the same shape, it seems, for so long.

Still really laggy compared to mumble/vent/ts.

Haly

You need everyone to switch though. It's no good if only a handful of players do it. I really think it has to start with the organisers first and then force all the teams/players along.

Or if Skype somehow sabotages themselves like.

Anyone comfortable with Admiralbulldog spamming chat making jokes about being gay etc?

Just find it a bit uncomfortable. Same with his use of mongoloid.

Acti

You need everyone to switch though. It's no good if only a handful of players do it. I really think it has to start with the organisers first and then force all the teams/players along.

Raidcall might be a decent solution. It does has IM and VoIP support... Haven't tried it for myself since I use Mumble and Teamspeak.

Haly

Bulldong is immature, both as a player and as a person so little surprise there.

Ultimatum

Banned

I get that, but what'd be the use in developing your own solution? I'm sure there's other IM software that doesn't compromise player security

is there anything skype does differently other than having a monopoly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom