• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfaex

But that's not what the description of the new system says, it actually pretty much states that as far as damage goes bkb and the likes only give 100% magic resistance, which obviously Pure damage bypasses.
The fact that a spell that doesn't pierce spell immunity and inflicts pure damage being blocked blocks the damage too even in aoe spells, means that the same should apply to physical damage aoe spells that don't pierce spell immunity.

I don't know how their tooltips for physical abilities will reflect the new language. I can only say what the interactions are. There's several abilities where BKB will block an ability's secondary effects, but you still take physical damage (e.g.: Slithereen Crush, Alch stun, Echo Stomp).

hush.gif

1wWL1qW.png

Volodja

I don't know how their tooltips for physical abilities will reflect the new language. I can only say what the interactions are. There's several abilities where BKB will block an ability's secondary effects, but you still take physical damage (e.g.: Slithereen Crush, Alch stun, Echo Stomp).
I know what you are saying regarding pre 6.82 already, but with these changes I think that the core is indeed the language, because that's what they wanted to streamline with this whole thing, a way to make it all clearer, to take out some of the hidden complexities and make them evident, even at the cost of some utility for some spells.
My only issue arises from the fact that there are some inconsistencies with it and the whole point of this whole thing was to erase those.

Like, Slithereen crush doesn't actually deal damage to a bkb enemy, but echo stomp physical portion does. Why is that? They are both non piercing and non targeted. The tooltips say nothing about it.
Alch stun behaves fine I think. You can't target it on a spell immune unit but if you throw it before the immunity goes off, it deals damage to the enemy but that goes equally for a Pure damage nuke with travel time I think (the only one I could think about was Laser and it has a very short travel time so if anybody can think of a slower one I'd appreaciate it). Obviously the secondary effects don't work for them.

mfaex

I know what you are saying regarding pre 6.82 already, but with these changes I think that the core is indeed the language, because that's what they wanted to streamline with this whole thing, a way to make it all clearer, to take out some of the hidden complexities and make them clearer, even at the cost of some utility for some spells.
My only issue arises from the fact that there are some inconsistencies with it and the whole point of this whole thing was to erase those.

Like, Slithereen crush doesn't actually deal damage to a bkb enemy, but echo stomp physical portion does. Why is that? They are both non piercing. The tooltips say nothing about it.
Alch stun behaves fine I think. You can't target it on a spell immune unit but if you throw it before the immunity goes off, it deals damage to the enemy but that goes equally for a Pure damage nuke with travel time I think (the only one I could think about was Laser and it has a very short travel time so if anybody can think of a slower one I'd appreaciate it). Obviously the secondary effects don't work for them.

Stifling Dagger is probably as slow a pure nuke as you'll get.

Are you sure Crush doesn't damage through BKB? Wikis all say it does and I was 99% sure it did until now.

G.ZZZ

Another example is sniper headshot dealing damage but not ministunning thru BkB with spell pierce off. It ain't consistent at all. I expect lots of consistency "fixes".

Volodja

Stifling Dagger is probably as slow a pure nuke as you'll get.

Are you sure Crush doesn't damage through BKB? Wikis all say it does and I was 99% sure it did until now.
Oh, yeah, Dagger, what an idiot I am, I ended up testing it with Mystical Snake while under Gaze and I didn't think of Dagger.
Aaaaaaand...it doesn't deal damage to bkb units...but mystical snake while under ulti does.
I don't get it.
I mean the Tinker laser I get because I forgot that the damage should be dealt immediately at cast and not follow the projectile so you can't bkb dodge it, it either is cast and you lose hp or it's not, but then mystic snake shouldn't damage either if Dagger doesn't.

Crush doesn't damage under bkb 100%, I'm testing them all live.
Oh, just so it's clear, it used to work, it just doesn't now.

Volodja

By the way, Mystic Snake damaging heroes while they are in stone form regardless of bkb is new too, like Crush not dealing them damage.

inkls

So previously the dmg and hp and dmg ult bonus on clinkz was

808 hp and 88 dmg

With helm its

1080 hp and 108 dmg

If using helm on a chen dominated centaur and then ult it

1320 hp and 132 dmg

:)

Volodja

I see. Just tested on live myself to confirm. That's probably an unintended change. Messy messy.
Yeah, they'll probably have to change a few things to make them more consistent.
Like I said Alch Stun and Dagger and mystic Snake on stone targets should all work the same, can't target a Spell Immune unit, but can damage them if Immunity was activated after the projectile was "fired" (or make them all not damage).
The main issue, however, is with AoE spells. Like, with the current wording Crush can't damage Spell Immune targets if Timbersaw abilities are not allowed to.
They should add a part about all Physical AoE spells then and make it clear that the damage will alway go through, because we may know it (or rather, we did, because things have changed, but if they stay this way we'll get to know them anyway), but it's still kinda obtuse.

Kioshen

Rosh pit fights will be even more interesting to watch now with the forced 2min rune spawn and relocation. The rune spot is right in front of it.

Boulder Smash unit targeting now only selects units
Boulder Smash point targeting now knocks back the closest Remnant (within 200 area of effect) in the direction selected [?]

I'm being dumb but I don't know what this means. Does it just mean it prioritises units over remnants?

Also isn't the second part just describing how it works now anyway? (Apart from the 200 AoE which I think is larger than it was before).

Volodja

Glad they simplified damage too, there was no real need for composite, or for direct HP removal to exist while pure damage was around
There actually was, otherwise they wouldn't have used those types in Dota 1, after all it was all a matter of balancing what you wanted with the tools you had.
They just scrapped some of the details about the spells, in some cases making them worse, in some others making them better.

I know I'm late to the party but:

Rune Changes

Full disclosure -- I have been playing Dota since the original mod. Bounty rune? Both runes spawn at once? Really?

That is the worst idea I have ever heard. Literally the worst idea. Changing the game BACK to a fight over runes does not represent a good shift and is not in line with why the rune battle has been eliminated in other games in the genre.

What on earth are they thinking?

All Pick Hero Picking Changes

A+. Good job Valve. This needed to be addressed for about 2 years. I'm not sure this is the exact answer yet, but it is a great start.

Hero specific changes

Bane Aghanims change - Awesome
Bounty Hunter Shuriken change - Awesome
Clockwerk hookshot change - Awesome
Earthshaker fissure changes - Awesome
Phoenix Aghanims change - Oh my god
Riki changes - Whoa

inkls

New PL is awesome. Tons of fun. Zoom zoom!

But can't splitpush anymore or even push and no longer has extra magic resist. LC gonna instagib him ;_;

edit: also storm ult having 12+ 0.7% of total mana instead of 10+ 1% for every 100 units is really good. I calculated and at 1000 mana the max distance you can cross in one jump is increased by ~5.4%. At 2000 mana the max jump distance is an ~15.4% increase. ~18.6% with 2500 mana and ~21.21% max jump increase with 3000 mana.

New Bloodstone recipe is also legit. Costs 150 gold less and an indirect buff to safelane storm. Gonna see alot more soul ring storm mids.

Randdalf

I know I'm late to the party but:

Rune Changes

Full disclosure -- I have been playing Dota since the original mod. Bounty rune? Both runes spawn at once? Really?

I don't think the bounty rune is as big a deal as it seems. The reward you get from it isn't that great, but the main benefit is that it refills your bottle. This basically eliminates the need for constant bottle crowing by the mid hero and gives more incentive for supports to check and control runes, that sort of thing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rune Changes

That is the worst idea I have ever heard. Literally the worst idea. Changing the game BACK to a fight over runes does not represent a good shift and is not in line with why the rune battle has been eliminated in other games in the genre.

What on earth are they thinking?
More reward for roaming supports/early game movement and ganking.

I don't know how effective it will be, but I can see the reasoning behind it. Between this and the new jungle paths to Radiant Top/Dire Bottom, early game is going to get a lot more hectic.

For example, a dedicated roaming VS could get rush a Bottle and then just apply mapwide pressure while keeping up in health/levels.

Vade

So will the 322 change maybe it was 431? He should hope he was throwing, have not seen a worse bat since s4 in TI.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
but tobi told me the new paths were going to make it like league

It is more like League, but the key difference is that Dota2's towers can be dived safely and there is no Flash.

Dota2 will be better at being League than League.

Hylian7

I'm being dumb but I don't know what this means. Does it just mean it prioritises units over remnants?

Also isn't the second part just describing how it works now anyway? (Apart from the 200 AoE which I think is larger than it was before).
It is worded kind of weird. Basically, it means that you can't click a rock as unit now with it, the only way to get a rock is to click empty space.

For instance, lets say you are surrounded by a cluster of PL illusions, but you need to kick a rock through those, to the guy about 500 range away. You set the rock down, but instead click the ground in the direction of the guy between you and him.

So drawing this out crappily in ASCII.

You (Drop rock right in front of you)
||||| PL's

o click here

x enemy

It sounds weird, but it makes it a ton easier not to accidentally kick a hero or creep or something when you meant to get a rock.

If there are no rocks in 200 range, and you cast on the ground, you still just kick at nothing. However the skill doesn't go on cooldown or use the mana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom