• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

its looking at .01% of occurrences

This^

You can't take the new kill streak formulas from 6.82 and plug them into a 6.81 context.

The picture also makes things look way more dramatic than they actually are, unless you're convinced that a level 6 CM is going to solo slay a level 12 AM, or a Clock with naked boots is going to solo kill an Axe with Aghs.

G.ZZZ

This shit with the new damage classification is SO messy. Some skills do damage where they didn't before, some now do even if they shouldn't considering how they're classified etc...

EDIT: i fucking finally figured how it is supposed to work:

Spell piercing : if not, spell won't have ANY effects.

Spell piercing : if yes, spell will have effects but damage depend on the type.

This is not consistent with what they said (where they said that spell piercing don't actually block damage, bullshit it does), but it's the most consistent way to make it work ingame. The only problem is that some things change because of this. In general, if you want a spell to have pure damage and apply debuff, it will damage BkB users whereas before it didn't: example, Meat Hook now damage bkb/rage targets, howl of terror now apply debuffs even to bkb targets whereas before it didn't. If you want a spell to deal damage to a target (physical for example), it will have to pierce spell immunity or won't deal damage, example: crush now deal no damage anymore cause it don't stun so even if physical it deal 0 damage. Acid alche spray however now pierce bkb so it still deal damage as physical spell.

This mean that an eventual item that give only spell immunity (and not the 100% magic resist that bkb give), would be different from bkb only for those piercing spells with magic type damage, which are: Beastmaster ulti, Huskar ultimate, Mist Coil, Chain Frost, Mana Void, Lion Finger and Lina Laguna, Phoenix Supernova, Earth splitter, Epicenter, Assassinate, Requiem of souls, Viper strike, Puck ulti, Zeus ult, Black hole damage, Scythe etc...
Basically most damage ultis. Imho it wouldn't be worth it, it's even more confusing than before, unless they make Pure do what intended, damage BkB targets even with no piercing. So we get Pure/Physical to deal Damage to bkb regardless of BkB piercing, but not applying buffs/debuffs. Slar stun still work like it did etc...

Techies now also megasucks. 25% less damage against creeps mean he can't farm with mines anymore whereas before lvl 4 mine + 1 autos on every creep cleaned a wave. Fucking IF making a shitter hero even worse.

shira

shira said:
GAF Inhouse MM Thread

format = 1v1, open skill, mirana mirror
winner prize = Crescent Bow aka Sperm Arrow
RNG participation winners = Stryff the Owlion, New Anuxi POTM set from the 6.82 chest +/- a few days
(If you won a prize in the Gaftechieshiral then you can't win an RNG prize, but Gafternashiral winners are all eligible.)
t1411844400z1.png

Sorry SEA, this one will be more EU friendly
Sponsored by the number 322

bumperino
7F95BB4BAE8F633AEEF7CB242EA3D4B2BF13B413

steam level?

I'd like to see MMR, pro win rate, and Armory Value

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Urn cancelling blink is hilarious. TBH, having something like HP removal seems like it would be valuable for skill diversity.

Also wave of terror cancelling blink. Dem Venge buffs. What amount of damage is necessary to cancel salves and clarities?

G.ZZZ

Urn cancelling blink is hilarious. TBH, having something like HP removal seems like it would be valuable for skill diversity.

Also wave of terror cancelling blink. Dem Venge buffs. What amount of damage is necessary to cancel salves and clarities?

10. This shit with damage types is so messy. Tbh the only gamebreaking thing is urn + napalm, the rest is all acceptable (urn being so strong vs blink ok, Wave of terror caneling consumable and shit is really good but still ok, Invoker having urn as a viable item is strong but not too much since you still need charges, cost 900 and low level Cold snap don't do as much damage as before, it ain't like OoV lol). Napalm will be probably be changed so that it doesn't trigger form items but onyl spells and autos. Wave will probably be changed to deal several instances of damage below 10. Urnvoker will be hopefully be kept since it open new itembuilds for the hero.

Some questions: can anyone explain the roshan change to me? I watched a video of the map changes and it looks like you can now see inside the new roshan pit from outside without having to scout it with a unit/spell/walking inside? (no more vision blocking entrance?)

That seems really fucking lame to me:\ sneaking roshan and having to rely on gamesense/intuition to weigh off the risk reward of when to walk into roshan pit to check if anyone was fighting it or trying to sneak rosh was a huge part of the game.

If you can just see what's going on inside with a ward outside or just be looking across the river that is... smh

Also the reduced gold for tower kills (does this only apply to the person last hitting it or the shared gold for everyone on the team?) sounds like it'll make life a lot more miserable for support players. Less income no fun allowed for 5 role support

That exp/gold from kill change link is also making me reel, even if that is an extreme example the game really already had TONS of comeback mechanics...
If you are really far behind/ahead it already only took one big fuck up fight to catch up due to lost map control, killstreak ending gold (that was already increased in the past) and just generally getting a lot of levels from killing higher level enemies.
Especially the map control swing already did a lot as a comeback mechanic.

Two failed racks pushes/bad fights would generally be enough to swing the game back in the favor of the losing team.

The only way to really snowball hard is to not make any mistakes as the further you are ahead the more advantage you give up when you die, dota 2 is already very anti snowball (and if you keep playing flawlessly as a team you do deserve to snowball and be able to actually end the game...)

If they (seemingly significantly) increase comeback mechanics with this exp/gold change on kills to me it seems like it'll push the game from 'just right' comeback balance to firmly into casual heroes of the storm pandering shitfest.

On another topic: does anyone have a good video of someone playing the gamemode that was added with the techies patch? (the all random deathmatch thing)

Ketch

I did some paper napkin math, and I used a bunch of imaginary numbers. But the gist of it is that further you get apart in levels the more extreme the changes to xp gain will be. It won't be that noticeable during the course of most games because typically you don't see situations where EVERYBODY on one team is multiple levels behind EVERYBODY on the other team... it'll all kind of balance out.

If somehow your entire team is lvl 1 and their entire team is lvl 5 AND you somehow manage to get a solo kill on one of the enemy heroes you'd get an order of magnitude more xp then you used to. On the flip side, if you're the winning team in that scenario and you get a solo kill on an enemy who's 5 levels below you, you'll get an order of magnitude less xp... but if even one or two heroes are closer in levels to the other team the difference wont be as huge.

ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ You've been visited by Hellbear Smasher of fortune. Clap your paws and copy paste this message 5 times without getting banned by mods and luck be with you for the next year ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ

G.ZZZ

K Napalm was fixed, alongside spec desolate, and some tooltips were changed to reflect what actually happen ingame.

As for the new comeback mechanic: i've just witnessed a 30k vs 45k networth team. The 30k managed to teamwipe and lose no one. Networth changed by 6k. Exp difference was 55k vs 35k, and they after the wipe is 55k vs 46k. Keep in mind this was a super stomp, 15k net worth difference at 20 min. Team behind still lost big time, but mostly u can't dick around as much as before i guess, and early push lineups will be much harder to pull off.

KScorp

Some questions: can anyone explain the roshan change to me? I watched a video of the map changes and it looks like you can now see inside the new roshan pit from outside without having to scout it with a unit/spell/walking inside? (no more vision blocking entrance?)

That seems really fucking lame to me:\ sneaking roshan and having to rely on gamesense/intuition to weigh off the risk reward of when to walk into roshan pit to check if anyone was fighting it or trying to sneak rosh was a huge part of the game.

If you can just see what's going on inside with a ward outside or just be looking across the river that is... smh

His cave entrance still blocks vision.

G.ZZZ

I heard something (maybe it was the new tree ward) gave vision into the pit when they shouldnt have. Was that fixed?

New tree ward has flying vision, if u have blink (qb too mb) u can get vision inside rosh pit and it's not gamebreaking at all, you have to farm a 4200 gold item with a support and it's only marginally better than an outside pit ward. Beastmaster hawk has been around for ages an no one ever complained.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Excuse me but did the patch go live yet? Who's buying the arcana? I feel conflicted because the new remodel looks pretty awesome by itself.

yo i'm in the same boat, i love the base model, even more than the arcana i think. will have to see both live in game to make a decision.

Why does the game need more comeback mechanics though?

Because if you aren't gonna implement /FF then you might as well make it so there's some hope of coming back. Sitting in fountain for 15 minutes while the enemy dives you and doesn't finish the game is the kind of shit that makes people /uninstall.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
icefrog taking notes from heroes of the storm, gotta put in those absurd catch-up mechanisms

i understand making comebacks a bit easier, but 3k+ gold from one kill should absolutely never happen, i don't care what the circumstance is. this will only encourage teams with a moderate to large lead to play as safe as possible and extend the game until they are absolutely sure they can take t3 with little to no risk.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
icefrog taking notes from heroes of the storm, gotta put in those absurd catch-up mechanisms

i understand making comebacks a bit easier, but 3k+ gold from one kill should absolutely never happen, i don't care what the circumstance is

Don't most of those hypotheticals work off something like a 25 minutes 20k gold lead?

Hylian7

i understand making comebacks a bit easier, but 3k+ gold from one kill should absolutely never happen, i don't care what the circumstance is. this will only encourage teams with a moderate to large lead to play as safe as possible and extend the game until they are absolutely sure they can take t3 with little to no risk.

I feel like the gold changes are nothing we can really make a good call on until we play real matches: Whether pub or pro.

I just had a match, I thought it was a complete throw on our part.

Checking the XP, we were never ahead, even though I did well.

Too many good players out tonight.

Sentenza

I feel like the gold changes are nothing we can really make a good call on until we play real matches: Whether pub or pro.
Same impression, but I'll add that as a general principle anything that makes comebacks easier sounds like a change for the better to me.

This comeback gold thing is crazy

We're getting stomped (like down 9 kills in 10 minutes)
And then we stomp (up like 10 kills)
And then they stomp (they were still down in kills, but destroying us in multiple team fights)
But then we stomp and win from the high

It feels like a total rollercoaster. Stomps aren't really set in stone anymore.

Hylian7

Same impression, but I'll add that as a general principle anything that makes comebacks easier sounds like a change for the better to me.

I think it's just in general, another nerf to the "deathball" in general, as right now if you were getting deathballed, they would just go through, killing you and taking your towers. If you picked off one of them, big whoop, they've still surpressed your farm too much for you to do anything about it.

Ketch

Don't most of those hypotheticals work off something like a 25 minutes 20k gold lead?

yes and then a solo kill.

I dont think the changes are supposed make comebacks easier.... it's just gonna make stomps less common. If you're down 20k gold in 25 minutes you're still F'd, but it'll be harder to get a 25k gold lead in 20 minutes to begin with.

I think it leans towards more team fight line ups.

The magic resistance won't reduce it, but I think the active will. Wasn't that a recent change to the way pipe worked with doom?

Well, Doom was magical at the time. But the tooltip says "Spell".

Code:
Barrier. Cannot be purged.
Ability	Affects	No Target	Allies	
Gives nearby friendly units a shield that blocks 400 spell damage.
Radius: 900
Duration: 10

Kard8p3

I'm excited/sad to play new Riki. I like invis as a base ability but I'm sad about blink being ulti. It's so easy to win lane with him ATM(which maybe that's why it's being changed?). All you have to do is buy oov and w the offlaner when/if he gets close to the creeps.

Midnight Pulse nerfs.
sad.gif

Remember when it was shit.

Or not, it is Pure. This shit is confusing.

It's pure but it does less % damage so it does the same amount of damage versus 25% magic resist(standard). It gets better late game when most teams/heroes would get at least some magic resist(like Pipe or Null Field or some shit).

That goes for all skills that went from Magic to Pure AFAIK

Artanisix

yes and then a solo kill.

I dont think the changes are supposed make comebacks easier.... it's just gonna make stomps less common. If you're down 20k gold in 25 minutes you're still F'd, but it'll be harder to get a 25k gold lead in 20 minutes to begin with.

I think it leans towards more team fight line ups.

Yeah like I said before, this really isn't as dramatic as people are making it out to be, ESPECIALLY when you take into account the new tower gold and drastically lower net worth people will have, and how both teams will be ending streaks and sharing gold in team fights.

It's basically a come back mechanic when facing deathball. That's it.

Bouncing Shuriken is a cute idea, but Track's cooldown kind of hinders its usefulness unless everyone is just hanging around waiting to be tracked before a team fight.

I found I was lucky if it bounced once.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bouncing Shuriken is a cute idea, but Track's cooldown kind of hinders its usefulness unless everyone is just hanging around waiting to be tracked before a team fight.

I found I was lucky if it bounced once.

I think the idea is you can toss it to a non-tracked unit and it can bounce to a tracked unit, so if you play it right you should be able to get double the normal damage in a team fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom