• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Also Skelly king is #4, surprising no one - scrubs simply can't deal with high sustain heroes.

Also Necrolyte is criminally underrated if you ask me, he's been buffed so much.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nexon/KDL is trying to get this Pudge set bundled with their ticket. I hate it:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=318370392

3616912BB21DAF094DBA3626823357DD578CF15F

Acinixys

This is a fucking wet dream for me. This patch confirmed best patch.

The hat is the best part

Its just a heart with eye holes

:D

I really think Necro is underrated

If you stick a mek on him you team is unkillable in the midgame because he can heal them for 500+, ult an enemy hero and have enough mana to heal them again

that looks so fucking dumb lol

I hope valve put in a competitive view for tournaments so I don't have to look at all this visually retarded bullshit

There is already a NO HATS mod that removes all cosmetics from the game man

Hylian7

Pub winrates mean nothing, has always been that way. Back when Valve introduced ranked matchmaking in Dec '13 the average player had 2250 (hidden) MMR. Let that sink in for a moment. 50% of Dota players were below 2250 MMR.

And yeah Kaolin was never bad, I might go back to picking him more with 6.82, such a fun kit.

I really wish they would release an updated MMR distribution now that ranked is out. Are there many 5k+ players or are they just outliers?

Kaolin was never bad, in fact I still think he was OP in 6.81 and his 6.82 buffs were a little unnecessary in my opinion.

They're all heroes that benefit from the enemy team ignoring them.

Which pubs are great at.
This is true.

I know pub win rates mean nothing for balancing purposes, I just have a morbid curiosity why they are the way they are. Just interesting to see the approach pubs take to games and how it affects things.

ViviOggi

I really wish they would release an updated MMR distribution now that ranked is out. Are there many 5k+ players or are they just outliers?

I don't think there's any new data sadly. Considering back then you were in the top 99% of players with as little MMR as 4,1k I'd definitely say 5k+ players are still outliers, even if the ranked average is probably a little higher than that.

Dec '13 unranked data:
To give you a feel for the range of MMR, below are some MMRs corresponding to various percentiles.

5% 1100
10% 1500
25% 2000
50% 2250
75% 2731
90% 3200
95% 3900
99% 4100
http://blog.dota2.com/2013/12/matchmaking/

It would be pretty bullshit if Valve clamped down on all the other tournament organisers but gave Nexon and Perfect World a free pass on cosmetics.

You'll be quickly hearing from lots of angry organisers if that's the case and I'll be backing them up on it.

Hylian7

I don't think there's any new data sadly. Considering back then you were in the top 99% of players with as little MMR as 4,1k I'd definitely say 5k+ players are still outliers, even if the ranked average is probably a little higher than that.

Dec '13 unranked data:
http://blog.dota2.com/2013/12/matchmaking/
I'd like to think I am good, but I doubt I am in the top 99% today unless I just underestimate the size of the whole player base, and the top 99% is a large number of people, but comparatively tiny to the 50% percentile.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It would be pretty bullshit if Valve clamped down on all the other tournament organisers but gave Nexon an Perfect World a free pass on cosmetics.

You'll be quickly hearing from lots of angry organisers if that's the case and I'll be backing them up on it.

What restrictions are they putting on everyone else? Other then having to submit tickets 30 days in advance?

ZeroX03

Banned
3200mmr is the 90th percentile? Feels like the trench to me.

Man, I wonder if I should start using Maledict on Witch Doctor now. I usually went stats over that garbage previously, not sure if the new radius will make it more usable. Probably not since the cast range is the main issue still.

Maledict is amazing, what am I reading? Ahhh.

What restrictions are they putting on everyone else? Other then having to submit tickets 30 days in advance?
I'm not sure how much I can say but basically the approval process is going to become a lot more strict to the level where they need at least a month to validate the quality of the item/set/bundle etc before it will ever see the light of day.

The overall criteria has jumped up a huge amount judging off of some things I saw declined.

No more "free passes" for cosmetics with league tickets.

ViviOggi

That's the unranked matchmaking values, which are pretty much worthless figures now.

Definitely to be taken with a grain of salt but I could swear I read an analysis relatively recently that found the difference between Dec '13 and current ranked percentiles to be surprisingly insignificant. I think it was on dotametrics but I can't find it anymore for the life of me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
you really think so? im kind of worried its gonna take them a bit longer to fix bugs

Er, maybe Friday. There are a lot of small bugs (Though some of the things list I do believe really aren't bugs, like the Rubick Timber Scepter thing)

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=146571

I'm not sure how much I can say but basically the approval process is going to become a lot more strict to the level where they need at least a month to validate the quality of the item/set/bundle etc before it will ever see the light of day.

The overall criteria has jumped up a huge amount judging off of some things I saw declined.

Any examples of stuff declined? I'm guessing that Green WK sword was likely one thing, since I noticed it got submitted a second time. Is the "All items submitted with leagues must be public on the Workshop." thing new, or has that been there a while?

Is the stuff written anywhere, like the Tournament Submission Portal, or are people supposed to just know about it/get it though word of mouth?

inkls

Also Necrolyte is criminally underrated if you ask me, he's been buffed so much.

He'll be picked I'm sure. With the mek nerf some team will probably try to find heroes who can build mek and have a decent mana pool, not to mention sadist makes it so hard to bully him out of lane.

Kioshen

I'd like to think I am good, but I doubt I am in the top 99% today unless I just underestimate the size of the whole player base, and the top 99% is a large number of people, but comparatively tiny to the 50% percentile.

Monthly players hovers around 9,500,000. Pretty sure there's more players with some mmr rating but even 1% of that number is 950000 people that are on top. It's still a lot of people.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So looking on Dotabuff, the top 3 pub win rate heroes for 6.81 are Necrophos, Omniknight, and Abaddon. Why those three? Is it simply because they all have some kind of stealth sustaining ability and not dying wins games? Is there something deeper I am missing here?

heals

Also really hoping for the patch tonight, gives me a few days to dick around before uni starts up again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Monthly players hovers around 9,500,000. Pretty sure there's more players with some mmr rating but even 1% of that number is 950000 people that are on top. It's still a lot of people.

You have 1 zero too many. Its 95k players is 1% is 9.5 million.

Big Dog

This sounds like a good rule in the long run. But like you said, definitely has to be followed across the board to be really fair for everyone. On a positive note of that, maybe this will push more creators to make items and sets that outshine Valve's own sets more and more. Like seeing the incredible quality of DotaCinema's recent package of ultimates makes me worry about the varying range of quality compared to other junky things that could potentially make it into the game.

I'm already in love with Sweden's train internet.

https://twitter.com/cyborgmatt/status/515175652690231296
Er, maybe Friday. There are a lot of small bugs (Though some of the things list I do believe really aren't bugs, like the Rubick Timber Scepter thing)

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=146571

Any examples of stuff declined? I'm guessing that Green WK sword was likely one thing, since I noticed it got submitted a second time. Is the "All items submitted with leagues must be public on the Workshop." thing new, or has that been there a while?

Is the stuff written anywhere, like the Tournament Submission Portal, or are people supposed to just know about it/get it though word of mouth?
The public Workshop is part of this process but the blame for that lies on DreamLeague and their stretch goal disasters.

Quesa

heals

Also really hoping for the patch tonight, gives me a few days to dick around before uni starts up again.

where do you live that college starts in october

trimester college?

Also Jungle bloodseeker seems more viable (25 percent heal level 1 with bonus damage helps him sustain more and kill faster) now but I still wouldn't take it over lane. Wonder if BS couldn't also benefit from being a farming support, what with his ridiculous damage amp (free global veil+ to give Zues when he ults), huge aoe pure damage nuke/silence, and increased Rupture duration. He really doesn't need to be a carry -- just hit six, roam, and help carries get kills. Arcane, Mek, then buy a Euls to stop TPs after rupture, and while they're up there activate Blood Rite. His laning as a support would be really bad, though. Like Shadow Demon without disruption.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait a second, wouldn't by Valve rules Star Ladder not be allowed to do their "Mystery Courier/Additional Set" that they have as Stretch Goals, since the sets need to be public on the workshop? Did they just get some special agreement, or did Star Ladder get around this by having the sets on the Workshop, just not tagged as being Star Ladder Sets?

Kaolin was never bad, in fact I still think he was OP in 6.81 and his 6.82 buffs were a little unnecessary in my opinion.

This is true.

I know pub win rates mean nothing for balancing purposes, I just have a morbid curiosity why they are the way they are. Just interesting to see the approach pubs take to games and how it affects things.

I played with my first ever ES at 2100 MMR last night.

He went 0-12-3 and the only item I specifically remember him having was an Urn of shadows.

I checked DotaBuff and he had brown boots, bottle and magic wand as well. He had the lowest farm on the team by 4k gold.

Smithy C

25 quid, located next to the dota 2 booth. Tell people to check the map.

Dead, no queue. Just walked over bought 3!

Gah, was considering getting a Saturday ticket for EDX just to visit the shop and maybe have a look at what else was going on, but tickets are sold out. Piss.

Whaaaaat? Maledict is awesome

Nah, it really isn't. I've been playing WD for about 150 games almost exclusively lately (going from 3800mmr to 4500, about 85% win-rate I'd guess), using him as a roaming duo support with Lesh/AA/Mirana/Whoever really. Cask is the definite choice for ganks, it's just one of the best stuns out there, so maxing it is given. I used to get a point in Voodoo and then go Maledict after that, but I noticed how I A) Never had mana to cast it, and even if I did I'd rather spend it on healing for tower dives etc and B) It just didn't do enough damage early if you don't max it over cask.

Instead, I started going stats over Maledict and it really made the ganking even easier than it was. My item build is Stick/Arcane/Aghanim's, but there's never enough mana to go around for this hero. You can always use more throughout the mid game.

Now, the question becomes "is Maledict worth it once you hit lategame?" and the answer I've found is a resounding NO. You need proper positioning for the Death Ward, preferably out of sight range, and that position is nowhere near close enough for Maledict. The only times I spec it at all nowadays is when I'm facing someone like Bristleback, Razor or other ridiculously tanky heroes. The DOT helps handle them once the rest of their team is down. Against anything else - why bother? Either the enemy team is completely destroyed due to your death ward + teammates or you got stomped. Neither of those situations calls for a Maledict to save the day.

Just my two cents, anyway.

(Also I can't believe how bad some 5k MMR players are. Completely abysmal. Constant overextending and just really bad decisionmaking. At what MMR do people start actually playing decent in this friggin' game?)

Beardz

Currently I'm having a lot of fun with Necro, I have 63% win rate with him.

Early game Necro is a pain in the ass, I just hide behind some trees and let my carry to farm, while the other guys are trying to avoid my aura.

I know a lot of you guys hate Dagon, but that's how I roll with Necro, sorry!

Early game Necro is a pain in the ass, I just hide behind some trees and let my carry to farm, while the other guys are trying to avoid my aura.

You shouldn't be playing Necro as a lane support. lol.

Play him solo offlane or mid. His solo or duo offlane presence is quite imposing with heartstopper and the healbomb and going mid and getting the ult online fast sort of speaks for itself.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126436289&postcount=15803

I did this a while ago might give you some rough idea

20% of ranked games are in the Very High Bracket (3.7k+)
22.5% High (3.2k+)
57.5% Normal

Unranked is
8% Very High
15% High
77% Normal

inkls

Don't play necro support. He's much better as a carry if you go mid for example.

All hero challenge is going to be the death of me. I'm pretty sure they've put all the heroes I have a genuine dislike for and subsequently never play right in the front.

Just damage? or can you pull them in too?

It's always pulled magic immune targets. It just did no damage until now.

I play with him as a mix between carry and support. I always go to the hardlane with him so I can move behind the trees, and depending on my partner I'm last hitting or not. Normally I start as support, middle and late game as a carry.

word. but I'm still saying: he's best lining up mid or against the opposing carry. he can single-handedly shut down an enemy carry duo lane with just heartstopper and a couple of heal bombs. That's too much value to put in a support role where you may not get much xp at all (assuming you're playing support correctly and stacking/pulling).

Beardz

You shouldn't be playing Necro as a lane support. lol.

Play him solo offlane or mid. His solo or duo offlane presence is quite imposing with heartstopper and the healbomb and going mid and getting the ult online fast sort of speaks for itself.

I play with him as a mix between carry and support. I always go to the hardlane with him so I can move behind the trees, and depending on my partner I'm last hitting or not. Normally I start as support, middle and late game as a carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom