• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

I'm having more trouble with his kick now. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but placing a stone and then dragging my cursor to where I want it to go seems so slow. Also of I happen to be 200 units away from the stone then I just kick air and have to go back to move over. I think I did better with just kicking the stone itself.
The latter was what I wasn't used to, but it is definitely better if there are units around you.

Oh by the way, can someone share me their keyboard config? Dragging the mouse to move the camera is pretty akward when playing really movile heroes like Earth Spirit.

BeesEight

Only got to play one game last night but after reading all these impressions of Phantom Lancer I want to give him a spin. Sounds like he'll be impossible to pick before the inevitable nerfs, however.

I ran Undying and can't really say his buffs were particularly noticeable. That said, I never play undying so I am a terrible judge. I did try the Crimson Guard and it seemed like it made me incredibly tanky even though I was a hard support in that game.

Oreoleo

New Spirit Breaker is so much more fun imo.

hell yeah man, just came in to say the same thing.

just built the new armor/aghs/euls (for mana)/ and heart on him

having everything off cooldown all the time is so great, he's so much more useful in team fights now, plus in the late game when he normally falls off he still kicks ass pushing lanes with his abilities

aghs ult is really handy for all the PL pickers, too. ez mode for finding the real one.

Holy shit I want to slap this pl in the face, trying to play old split pushing style, doesn't go into team fights... end up making it an hour and half game because this guy can't just team fight and now my Troll is in negative kda because everyone has bought a ghost sceptre and blade mail.

New meta is 4 hard carries and omniknight

So I can finally start playing again? I'm in wood tier so that was the norm.

Man there's been so many changes since I last played with any regularity. My last game was 4 months ago, and 8 months ago after that. Which heroes are the easiest to pick up and play after that long of a hiatus?

Hylian7

Oh by the way, can someone share me their keyboard config? Dragging the mouse to move the camera is pretty akward when playing really movile heroes like Earth Spirit.
That reminds me, I tried something for fun yesterday.

I got a TrackIR (for Arma) yesterday and tried mapping it to the keys for moving the camera in Dota. Was kind of neat to move the camera with my head, but probably not viable for a real game without more fine tuning.

eznark

Banned
What. Seriously?

WUXWA1L0KIV31411435245281.png

Jokab

Just played the craziest game I've ever played. We just couldn't finish since they turtled in their base and we had no way of going highground. Many buybacks later this is what came out, with my team on top. A few clutch Rubick black holes helped seal the deal in the final engagement. I played the prophet here.

inkls

Thats certainly the first thing that pops into mind when I think of Blizzard.

Just played the craziest game I've ever played. We just couldn't finish since they turtled in their base and we had no way of going highground. Many buybacks later this is what came out, with my team on top. A few clutch Rubick black holes helped seal the deal in the final engagement. I played the prophet here.

Wow, that total gold.

I really like the duo runes, seems to make more things happen early in the game and makes mid less intimidating for beginners because they can't go a wrong way when it comes to rune spawns. The map change is jarring to my brain but I'll get use to it. PL seems really good, I haven't played enough against him to say if he's OP or not, but he's definitely not a split push/farmer like he use to be, gravitates more toward a lycan type playstyle with a powerful starting base that scales well into the game. Bloodseeker seems a little bit better, don't know if he'll be picked often in the end.

Also ET's agh is insanely good. 6 seconds is an eternity for carries to be disarmed and it goes through bkb. I'd count on seeing him more often.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Chen's new Aghs is one of the best changes I've ever seen. Pair with Ogre, bloodlust the ancient creep and baby you got a stew going

I don't think Chen's new ability to Convert Ancients is all that great, what makes Chen so good is his ability to gank lanes very early with his creeps. Ancients should give interesting buffs or have useful abilities.

G.ZZZ

I really like the duo runes, seems to make more things happen early in the game and makes mid less intimidating for beginners because they can't go a wrong way when it comes to rune spawns. The map change is jarring to my brain but I'll get use to it. PL seems really good, I haven't played enough against him to say if he's OP or not, but he's definitely not a split push/farmer like he use to be, gravitates more toward a lycan type playstyle with a powerful starting base that scales well into the game. Bloodseeker seems a little bit better, don't know if he'll be picked often in the end.

Also ET's agh is insanely good. 6 seconds is an eternity for carries to be disarmed and it goes through bkb. I'd count on seeing him more often.

ET aghs is useless incarnate, the ulti problem is not the effect, it's how hard it is to land it, and damage still bkb blocked (at least half).

Also dual rune is such a nice change but everything's been shadowed by communism gold.

Chen's new Aghs is one of the best changes I've ever seen. Pair with Ogre, bloodlust the ancient creep and baby you got a stew going

It's a lot more balanced than you'd think. Ancients are slow as dirt and don't have any really useful abilities. They're just huge damage sponges.

In the game I had with a Chen with Aghs, it played a big part, but it never seemed overpowered.

JambiBum

Here's my opinion on the whole come back gold mechanic if anyone cares.

If you are that far ahead in kills/xp/net worth, then why the hell are you getting picked off/losing team fights in the first place? If your team is snowballing early/mid game then the other team shouldn't be able to kill you unless you make mistakes. If they do manage to do it then they should be rewarded.

It makes things like positioning and getting caught out matter a lot more mid/late game which makes for better Dota imo. How many times have there been games where a team works to kill a farmed carry but it doesn't end up mattering because they can just buy back and you don't really gain much from it? Now you do.

Take the Luna example from the post earlier for instance. Guy gets farmed in the early game and then gets caught out and loses his advantage. Pre 6.82 that would have only mattered slightly and only if creep equilibrium was on the opposing team's side. Now even if you can't push off of a major kill like that you at least can purchase that item you really needed to help your team out in the next big fight.

KingKong

If you are that far ahead in kills/xp/net worth, then why the hell are you getting picked off/losing team fights in the first place? If your team is snowballing early/mid game then the other team shouldn't be able to kill you unless you make mistakes. If they do manage to do it then they should be rewarded.

Because some heroes scale differently than others and there are heroes (like batrider) designed for pickoffs. Right now someone like qop or puck getting a ton of kills is a liability because they're one stun away from giving away tons of gold and experience to a carry, and they have no incentive to keep looking for pickoffs because they'll get very little from it

shira

Because some heroes scale differently than others and there are heroes (like batrider) designed for pickoffs. Right now someone like qop or puck getting a ton of kills is a liability because they're one stun away from giving away tons of gold and experience to a carry, and they have no incentive to keep looking for pickoffs because they'll get very little from it
It's almost like you want to avoid kill streaks or just randomly feed to balance things out.

I'm EE and I approve this patch.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's a lot more balanced than you'd think. Ancients are slow as dirt and don't have any really useful abilities. They're just huge damage sponges.

In the game I had with a Chen with Aghs, it played a big part, but it never seemed overpowered.

No they're not generally that strong but they're huge damage sponges for cutting creep waves, etc.

And like I said if you buff them with something like Bloodlust then they're actually real strong.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Also Pugna is a super good Void counter now as long as you don't get caught by him. Just played a game where Void simply couldn't get a chrono kill as Pugna would just heal whoever he focused.

SamVimes

Here's my opinion on the whole come back gold mechanic if anyone cares.

It makes things like positioning and getting caught out matter a lot more mid/late game which makes for better Dota imo. How many times have there been games where a team works to kill a farmed carry but it doesn't end up mattering because they can just buy back and you don't really gain much from it? Now you do.

Take the Luna example from the post earlier for instance. Guy gets farmed in the early game and then gets caught out and loses his advantage. Pre 6.82 that would have only mattered slightly and only if creep equilibrium was on the opposing team's side. Now even if you can't push off of a major kill like that you at least can purchase that item you really needed to help your team out in the next big fight.

That's not true, a lot of decision you make in dota are risk-reward based (eg. an hero that dies splitpushing isn't necessarily making a mistake, maybe he's just making a play that works 4/5 times), the difference is that now the balance is skewed. If the other team made a lot of mistakes to get you fat why shouldn't you get rewarded as much as they are for your single mistake?
To me it seems similar to how SF IV used to work in vanilla, where you could play perfectly against the fucking Sagat for the vast majority of the match and a single mistake ends up in you losing the match because he can deal you 80% damage with the ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom