• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2hjvkc/snowballing_in_681_vs_682_a_preliminary_analysis/

So far I feel that the data is supporting that the bounty change is a good change. It's a big nerf against deathball strats that were previously *impossible* to come back from. People are overselling how large the comeback mechanic is; if you have a lead, dying a few times doesn't suddenly mean the other team is on even grounds with you, and often times all the comeback xp and gold is frontloaded onto one or two heroes.

SamVimes

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2hjvkc/snowballing_in_681_vs_682_a_preliminary_analysis/

So far I feel that the data is supporting that the bounty change is a good change. It's a big nerf against deathball strats that were previously *impossible* to come back from. People are overselling how large the comeback mechanic is; if you have a lead, dying a few times doesn't suddenly mean the other team is on even grounds with you, and often times all the comeback xp and gold is frontloaded onto one or two heroes.

Seems to me that 6k exp at 10 minutes should win at least 80%. I don't think the idea is bad at all, i just think the numbers should be toned down a bit, especially on the gold.

t0rment

it does if who got the money is a carry like void, who can get fat quite quickly late game.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Seems to me that 6k exp at 10 minutes should win at least 80%. I don't think the idea is bad at all, i just think the numbers should be toned down a bit, especially on the gold.

This. I like the change, but I want to see the crazy bounties toned down a bit (something like 20-30% less).

Though I think the guy should also look at xp leads at places like the 15 or 20 minute mark. 10 minutes is just the end of the laning phase, perhaps a 6-8k xp lead at 20 minutes (mid-game) has a higher winrate.

Volodja

Here's my opinion on the whole come back gold mechanic if anyone cares.

If you are that far ahead in kills/xp/net worth, then why the hell are you getting picked off/losing team fights in the first place? If your team is snowballing early/mid game then the other team shouldn't be able to kill you unless you make mistakes. If they do manage to do it then they should be rewarded.

It makes things like positioning and getting caught out matter a lot more mid/late game which makes for better Dota imo. How many times have there been games where a team works to kill a farmed carry but it doesn't end up mattering because they can just buy back and you don't really gain much from it? Now you do.

Take the Luna example from the post earlier for instance. Guy gets farmed in the early game and then gets caught out and loses his advantage. Pre 6.82 that would have only mattered slightly and only if creep equilibrium was on the opposing team's side. Now even if you can't push off of a major kill like that you at least can purchase that item you really needed to help your team out in the next big fight.
Conceptually lessening the snowballing is not bad in itself, but the execution can for sure be overkill.
I think the jury may still be out for now on this one simply because it's kinda early, but there are some indications that this may be the case.

I've seen a 10k gold lead change with 2 kills and when there are some heroes that are predicated upon building a net worth gap because they don't use farm particularly efficently but they can get it fast, it does sound a bit problematic.

JambiBum

That's not true, a lot of decision you make in dota are risk-reward based (eg. an hero that dies splitpushing isn't necessarily making a mistake, maybe he's just making a play that works 4/5 times), the difference is that now the balance is skewed. If the other team made a lot of mistakes to get you fat why shouldn't you get rewarded as much as they are for your single mistake?
To me it seems similar to how SF IV used to work in vanilla, where you could play perfectly against the fucking Sagat for the vast majority of the match and a single mistake ends up in you losing the match because he can deal you 80% damage with the ultra.

You do get rewarded by getting fat though. You control the early/mid game pretty well and you will control the late game as well unless you screw up. If you make a mistake the other team should get to benefit from it. If the other team feeds in the beginning of a game you get rewarded, before .82 if this happened there wasn't a whole lot the other team could do to make a come back. Now there is and to a lot of people Dota is better because of it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
You do get rewarded by getting fat though. You control the early/mid game pretty well and you will control the late game as well unless you screw up. If you make a mistake the other team should get to benefit from it. If the other team feeds in the beginning of a game you get rewarded, before .82 if this happened there wasn't a whole lot the other team could do to make a come back. Now there is and to a lot of people Dota is better because of it.

I think a lot of people like the thought behind the new comeback mechanics and generally agree with you. However, some people are claiming that it's a bit overtuned right now and the comeback xp/bounties might just be too much. We'll see in the next few weeks. I think the whole debate is less about, "Do you boost losing teams?" But rather, "How much of a boost do you give?"

Volodja

The issue is that you are discussing the concept which is not bad in itself.
Some people here are discussing the execution.

One thing is for sure, for now it's hella fun to watch these huge swings.

Artanisix

6NxZYdD.png

Kreygasm

So many damn bugs this patch, first urn wasn't working when I used on myself during rupture (not moving), second, Heaven's Halberd did jack shit against an LC that was dueling.

thats the only true way to flame. Otherwise you would just be a poser

That's what I'm saying.

I'm a team player, I just flame mistakes.

I'm razor, upgrade courier because no one else will. Need simple things like wards and sentries out to maintain our lead. I'm doing really well as well.

Nope.

Feed away.

I'll flame everyone in their own language. I'm a polyglot of swears.

Big Dog

I got muted for 24 hours. SCREW YOU VALVE. WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?!

I was muted maybe a month or two back for 24 hours. Whenever you try and ping or type in chat this massive text block shows up on the side counting down the seconds until you can speak in game again. I would have rather been in LPQ than have been muted like that. It was a very horrible experience.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game does fucking piss me off sometimes but 99% of the time any anger I express is aimed towards the enemy team since, ya know, they're the ones bashing our faces in

This game does fucking piss me off sometimes but 99% of the time any anger I express is aimed towards the enemy team since, ya know, they're the ones bashing our faces in

Nah, it's usually to my team mates.

Had a fight near t1 bot radiant.

We know there's at least 3. As a pugna you'd think it be prudent to get your ward down for the team fight.

Nope.

Lost as Razor 13/4/4. Sick players.

Nobody knows how good the changes are, it's just discussion, debates, and it's healthy for the game overall. You know, opinions.
Some is discussion. Some is people hating change and using "this is different therefore bad" logic. Some is "I've played this game for 100 hours so I know what I'm talking about when I say x is y".

reddit is full of the latter two and very little of the first

its apparently been determined in 24 hours that the patch is a certain way so heres tons of images backing that up for ez upboats

JambiBum

I think a lot of people like the thought behind the new comeback mechanics and generally agree with you. However, some people are claiming that it's a bit overtuned right now and the comeback xp/bounties might just be too much. We'll see in the next few weeks. I think the whole debate is less about, "Do you boost losing teams?" But rather, "How much of a boost do you give?"

I can see where it could possibly be too much but I think that it's still early to tell. It'll probably take a few weeks and a good pro event to be able to judge it effectively. It didn't help that our first real pro game with it involved ixmike either.

bbd23

oh baby

Navi vs Secret

and those EG boys playing their first official game of 6.82 today

highfive.gif

my rares are on NaVi and I dont know why

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm loving nearly everything about this current patch. Reading the patch notes I got the sense it would play well to my strengths and I'm experiencing that thus far. Haven't lost any games so far in 6.82.

Wok

Patch 6.82 is "if you get fat, don't be overly greedy and make noob mistakes". The winrates given on Reddit clearly show that a great exp advantage early game would lead to a total stomp in patch 6.81, which culminates in a stupid gameplay: in pubs, carry heroes dive on ennemy because they would get a few kills before dying and they don't care if they die. Patch 6.81 is the epitome of fountain camping with this regard: the game is "over", you can just play stupidly, if the opposite team gets a kill on you, who cares anyway.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Patch 6.82 is "if you get fat, don't be overly greedy and make noob mistakes". The winrates given on Reddit clearly show that a great exp advantage early game would lead to a total stomp in patch 6.81, which culminates in a stupid gameplay: in pubs, carry heroes dive on ennemy because they would get a few kills before dying and they don't care if they die. Patch 6.81 is the epitome of fountain camping with this regard: the game is "over", you can just play stupidly.

This is how I feel so far and I'm absolutely okay with this direction. On reflection my problems with 6.81 all feel like they revolve around how easy it was to get a landslide lead, and I like Dota best when there's some back and forth

Patch 6.82 is "if you get fat, don't be overly greedy and make noob mistakes". The winrates given on Reddit clearly show that a great exp advantage early game would lead to a total stomp in patch 6.81, which culminates in a stupid gameplay: in pubs, carry heroes dive on ennemy because they would get a few kills before dying and they don't care if they die. Patch 6.81 is the epitome of fountain camping with this regard: the game is "over", you can just play stupidly, if the opposite team gets a kill on you, who cares anyway.

Yeah 6.82 finally punishes the trench strategy of getting fat and then not working as a team to finish the game. Now if you're on the losing team and you can coordinate a little you can actually come back against a team that went all in early but didn't finish.

Honestly it already has made low tier games more enjoyable for me.

KingKong

I think this patch is really going to pay off for NaVi as Xboct creating space is going to lead to massive bounties when they win a teamfight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom