• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Unit

guys, game is balanced now!!

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/923608678

weotpQt.png

Wok

I don't undertsand the complaints about increased bounties:
  • patch 6.81 was unforgiving about early game: if your teammates feed a few deaths to Slark + Crystal Maiden on the top lane while you are bottom, it can almost mean "gg" but it is not your fault and you cannot concede anyway.
  • patch 6.82 is unforgiving at any stage of the game: if you make a mistake, no matter the lead you have, everything can change ; moreover, the patch gives hope to win even if you don't have the lead, so it is in agreement with the "no concede" option.
Even during TI4 final games, we have seen some "gg" after only one barrack lost. I don't remember exactly, but we might have seen a "gg" called even before a set of barracks was destroyed. People say they are pros so they have the right to concede: this is just bad for spectators and would mean the death of dota2 esports.

The patch makes the game more difficult for pros and more interesting for spectators. I don't think one can complain about Dota2 getting more difficult.

• patch 6.81 was unforgiving about early game: if your teammates feed a few deaths to Slark + Crystal Maiden on the top lane while you are bottom, it can almost mean "gg" but it is not your fault and you cannot concede anyway.
  • patch 6.82 is unforgiving at any stage of the game: if you make a mistake, no matter the lead you have, everything can change ; moreover, the patch gives hope to win even if you don't have the lead, so it is in agreement with the "no concede" option.

Even during TI4 final games, we have seen some "gg" after only one barrack lost. I don't remember exactly, but we might have seen a "gg" called even before a set of barracks was destroyed.
AGREED.

I love it. A game really isn't over until it's over now. If anything, this may actually result in less raging because you know you can come back so long as people buy the correct items and do their part. It's not easy to come back, mind you...but it's much more possible than it's ever been. You'll lose some matches because your team got careless and threw. But you'll win plenty for the exact same reason.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Even during TI4 final games, we have seen some "gg" after only one barrack lost. I don't remember exactly, but we might have seen a "gg" called even before a set of barracks was destroyed. People say they are pros so they have the right to concede: this is just bad for spectators and would mean the death of dota2 esports. The patch makes it more difficult for pros and more interesting for spectators.

Mostly I think the idea is good. The numbers might need to be tweaked a little bit but I think a lot of disdain and elation regarding the change as a whole comes from what side of the win/loss you come out on.

I have a feeling it is going to lead to more stale drafting since you pretty much NEED to draft for big team fights and late game now. Since the patch the quickest a game I've been in ever finished was 38 minutes because my entire team drafted carries (aside from a Shaker that wasn't supporting) and the feeding lasted from minute 1 to minute 38 without stopping.

edit: is there any more anecdotal evidence of games lasting a lot longer in general now? Most of my games have been right around the hour mark.

Mostly I think the idea is good. The numbers might need to be tweaked a little bit but I think a lot of disdain and elation regarding the change as a whole comes from what side of the win/loss you come out on.

I have a feeling it is going to lead to more stale drafting since you pretty much NEED to draft for big team fights and late game now. Since the patch the quickest a game I've been in ever finished was 38 minutes because my entire team drafted carries (aside from a Shaker that wasn't supporting) and the feeding lasted from minute 1 to minute 38 without stopping.

edit: is there any more anecdotal evidence of games lasting a lot longer in general now? Most of my games have been right around the hour mark.

I think you're right about that. games are going to last longer. that's the nature of the patch, imo.

Mohasus

6.82 is like double points in F1.

In the current championship, Hamilton and Rosberg are 3 points apart, that means that it doesn't matter who wins the next 4 races, because the one who wins Abu Dhabi (the last one with double points) will be the champion. There is no way this is fair, but sure it makes things more "exciting" for the viewers.

Had to get legion commander in random draft to finally win a game in 6.82

I wonder if she's only good at mid because ranged heroes insist on standing in front of the ranged creep even after getting hit by her Q for 3 waves in a row, like somehow harassing me would result in anything other than me losing mana for using her W (which is less of a deal now because hey runes for everybody).

Hylian7

Bug I discovered: Tinker's march still aggroes ancients, even though it doesn't damage them.

Why does this matter at all: A couple of reasons.

1. You can still efficiently stack jungle camps 100% of the time with it, as Mud Golems won't fuck it up.
2. Not as big obviously, but you can stack ancients for someone else.

Aselith

6.82 is like double points in F1.

In the current championship, Hamilton and Rosberg are 3 points apart, that means that it doesn't matter who wins the next 4 races, because the one who wins Abu Dhabi (the last one with double points) will be the champion. There is no way this is fair, but sure it makes things more "exciting" for the viewers.

How is this like that in any way? If you get five man wiped with a huge gold lead, you already done fucked up. It'd be more like if you got a worse and worse car every time you lost and then, if you won a race after losing 100 races, you finally won a race you got a competitive car. You've got the car but you still have to drive it and there's a reason you lost 100 races in a row.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How is this like that in any way? If you get five man wiped with a huge gold lead, you already done fucked up. It'd be more like if you got a worse and worse car every time you lost and then, if you won a race after losing 100 races, you finally won a race you got a competitive car. You've got the car but you still have to drive it and there's a reason you lost 100 races in a row.

Wipes can happen, no matter how far ahead and how good your team composition is. Sometimes shit just happens. You think you should lose an entire game of dominating performances based on one late game fight? Check out this game that we "stomped" today:

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/923384443

We almost lost this twice at the end there (look at that those graph dips, jesus) even tho half their team fed all game. Our Void whiffed one Chrono near the end of the game that nearly lost the entire game for us. This was a single bad play by 1/5th of our team that nearly cost us all.

Haunted

Oh man, all these "we were 0-287 after 20 minutes, all three lanes kept feeding but then our spectre got a kill and it was ez game" stories.

People vastly exaggerate the comeback potential because everyone is so used to calling gg after first blood.

Sentenza

Oh man, all these "we were 0-287 after 20 minutes, all three lanes kept feeding but then our spectre got a kill and it was ez game" stories.

People vastly exaggerate the comeback potential because everyone is so used to calling gg after first blood.
Yeah, that's the feeling I'm getting as well.

Aselith

Wipes can happen, no matter how far ahead and how good your team composition is. Sometimes shit just happens. You think you should lose an entire game of dominating performances based on one late game fight? Check out this game that we "stomped" today:

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/923384443

We almost lost this twice at the end there (look at that those graph dips, jesus) even tho half their team fed all game. Our Void whiffed one Chrono near the end of the game that nearly lost the entire game for us. This was a single bad play by 1/5th of our team that nearly cost us all.

Look at the dips but also look at the spikes. If you got wrecked by the team wipes, why does it spike back up immediately, why did you still win, why did you wind up winning the game 25k ahead. The gold swing ONLY gives them a chance after getting trounced and moreover if you're doing really well they can't win off one fight they'd have to win a series of fights through buybacks and forts. If you're not saving up buyback late game you done goofed just like you did in 6.81.

And how did you lose a teamfight off of the missed Chrono when you have an Engima to ulty and Dazzle and Kunkka. I guarantee more than a missed Chrono lost you that fight. Your teamfight potential is off the charts Chrono or not.

Edit: Oh yeah I took a look at the game Faceless went in with Kunkka in bot lane and you three were nowhere near close enough to support the engage. Then Dazzle Shallows Faceless basically just to save him from being dumb and doing nothing except putting himself in danger. Then you Blackhole all of them but with literally no one there to do any damage so it was wasted. You should have just let him die tbh there was no way to save that fight after he straight up fed himself into the maw of the enemy.

Also they did absolutely nothing with that time except push the lane a bit so I don't see how you almost lost.

ALSO with Faceless fed to shit all game they still only got 900 gold on the kill so...

Falk

that puzzling face
Bug I discovered: Tinker's march still aggroes ancients, even though it doesn't damage them.

Why does this matter at all: A couple of reasons.

1. You can still efficiently stack jungle camps 100% of the time with it, as Mud Golems won't fuck it up.
2. Not as big obviously, but you can stack ancients for someone else.

w.r.t. 2 I was gonna say "why would Tinker waste his March cooldown when he could just right click the ancients" when I realized it's Tinker we're talking about and I desperately need sleep or coffee (or both)

Hylian7

w.r.t. 2 I was gonna say "why would Tinker waste his March cooldown when he could just right click the ancients" when I realized it's Tinker we're talking about and I desperately need sleep or coffee (or both)
The range and time it takes to walk all the way over there.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah I know. I meant that in the context of I'm so tired that I blanked out on the fact that tinker has Rearm.

Haunted

I call gg at first blood.

That's why I'm banned from chatting.
Good. There's few things more insidiously toxic than an earnest early gg. Saps morale like few other statements.

Speaking of which, after hundreds of hours in game I got my first non-joking "mid or I feed" guy. Couldn't believe someone would type this earnestly after it's become so much of an inside joke in the scene. Oh, how the whole team (and the enemy team) laughed and laughed.

After doing pretty well, he abandoned like 10 minutes into the game and got a bunch of reports. >_>

JC Sera

I think the new patch is great, even if the bounty numbers need a little tweaking. Its definitely moving the game in the right direction and just really happy to get away from the pre 20 minute determined failure over one death/tower.

LiQuid!

* Kill Streak Bounty from 100->800 to 60->480 (6.81 values are 125->1000)
* Reduced AoE Gold bonus Net Worth Factor for 1/2/3/4/5 hero kills from 0.5/0.35/0.25/0.2/0.15 to 0.26/0.22/0.18/0.14/0.10
* Fixed Dire Ancient spawn box size

http://store.steampowered.com/news/14528/

Nice this is what I wanted to happen. Hopefully the swings will be less drastic now.

Zeknurn

This is spot on.

People like to find easy things to blame.

* Kill Streak Bounty from 100->800 to 60->480 (6.81 values are 125->1000)
* Reduced AoE Gold bonus Net Worth Factor for 1/2/3/4/5 hero kills from 0.5/0.35/0.25/0.2/0.15 to 0.26/0.22/0.18/0.14/0.10
* Fixed Dire Ancient spawn box size

http://store.steampowered.com/news/14528/

I hope these changes weren't done to support the kneejerk reaction of the vocal minority in the community and it's actually based on upon a lot of data. Them rewarding reddit and "pros" crying on twitter isn't a good move for the future of patches. But I'm sure that Valve and Icefrog knows what they're doing.

NBtoaster

I think it will be like 6.81 bounties now, expect the team gets to share in killstreak ending. So instead of one person getting a 1300 streak and an assist getting 200, both of them will get like 900 (rather than 2000 in original 6.82).

Kioshen

This is spot on.

People like to find easy things to blame.

I hope these changes weren't done to support the kneejerk reaction of the vocal minority in the community and it's actually based on upon a lot of data. Them rewarding reddit and "pros" crying on twitter isn't a good move for the future of patches. But I'm sure that Valve and Icefrog knows what they're doing.

Pretty sure they have lots of telemetry in place to analyse games in aggregate. The community can react all they want but if they don't like what they see for what they wanted the patch to achieve I see no reason to adjust it asap. I mean they didn't pull the original numbers out of their buttocks. I assume they had models in place to predict where it would go and made a slight overestimation.

Razzer

This is about what I expected to happen. Whilst I was defending the system earlier, that was against people saying it sucks as a whole. This numbers tweak feels appropriate. And if it ain't, they''ll tweak again. That's why they're called patches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom